Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

Did you get to see him against Boise State? 

I saw part of it, but I still want to see him play a strong out of conference opponent. Basically just waiting for a bowl game. Its kind of like in 2018 and UCF. I want to see him play Auburn type team that has more talented players. If he can play well in that circumstance I would be more sold.

• Like 1

Luckily for us this is a deep qb class. I’d be good for any of them honestly. Wilson is dead accurate on most of his throws and throws a nice crisp spiral unlike Peyton. Doesn’t have a monster arm but can still throw it 60 which is more than enough. Seems like he is smart with reading DBs to know where to place the ball. He throws a lot of 50-50 balls in that situation and completes almost all of them. Not sure if our receivers would be able to do that. Probably above average at reading defenses in general.

• Like 1

Trask only threw for 6 TDs tonite . At one time he was 23/29 for 356 yds and then they pulled him as they were way ahead. Commentator said he reads defenses pre and post snap as well or better than any QB coming out, 6'5" and about 235 and is mobile. Will be at least the 3rd QB to go in the draft in my opinion. As impressive as any I've seen and that's not taking anything away from the other guys.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:00 AM, Zoltan said:

I saw part of it, but I still want to see him play a strong out of conference opponent. Basically just waiting for a bowl game. Its kind of like in 2018 and UCF. I want to see him play Auburn type team that has more talented players. If he can play well in that circumstance I would be more sold.

Watch the USC game last season. He threw for almost 300 yards, 0 ints, and had two total touchdowns. 

Some so called college football gurus have Trask as the Heisman candidate front runner. In 6 games this year he has a 70% completion rate, 2121total yards, 28 tds and 3 ints. Threw for almost 500 yards against Georgia who supposedly have some good corners.  6'5"-239 lbs and is fairly mobile.

Edit: Knock on him is his lack of mobilitybut there was a guy we drafted out of Tennessee a few years back by the name of Payton who wasn't very mobile that did OK.

• Haha 1
On 11/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, hoosierhawk said:

Some so called college football gurus have Trask as the Heisman candidate front runner. In 6 games this year he has a 70% completion rate, 2121total yards, 28 tds and 3 ints. Threw for almost 500 yards against Georgia who supposedly have some good corners.  6'5"-239 lbs and is fairly mobile.

Edit: Knock on him is his lack of mobilitybut there was a guy we drafted out of Tennessee a few years back by the name of Payton who wasn't very mobile that did OK.

1. Remember that Haskins also had crazy numbers and was a Heisman finalist. Stats doesn’t make someone a good draft prospect

2. Peyton was drafted in 98. In 2020 it’s almost impossible for QBs to thrive without athleticism and mobility. All the top young QBs in the league can really run. Pocket passers are a dying breed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

1. Remember that Haskins also had crazy numbers and was a Heisman finalist. Stats doesn’t make someone a good draft prospect

2. Peyton was drafted in 98. In 2020 it’s almost impossible for QBs to thrive without athleticism and mobility. All the top young QBs in the league can really run. Pocket passers are a dying breed. 

There seems to be more run first QBs these days like Lamar Jackson but their success dies down once Ds figure them out.

Notice Lamar numbers arent high like last year. I give it like 2 to 3 years before people call him average or not elite anymore.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

There seems to be more run first QBs these days like Lamar Jackson but their success dies down once Ds figure them out.

Notice Lamar numbers arent high like last year. I give it like 2 to 3 years before people call him average or not elite anymore.

That’s Lamar though. There’s also Mahomes, Josh Allen, Murray, Herbert, Watson, etc... And we have Lawrence, Fields, and Lance coming into the league next year. Athleticism matters.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

While your first point is true to an extent, you can't really say "his production doesn't matter cause other guys have had production and didnt pan out". Obviously there's more to the story then just stats. But when I've watched trask this year, hes poised, he goes through his progressions well, has good touch on the long ball, able to throw on the move. He's not a burner at all and running isn't going to be a big part of his game, but a QBs #1 job is to throw the ball, the athleticism is secondary. 

Because all of the mobile qbs you mentioned, ALSO are great passers first and foremost. You can game plan for running qbs, which is what the league is doing for Lamar Jackson this year.

Mainly my worry with Trask his arm strength. He can throw the deep ball fine, but I've yet to see him really zip one in a tight window when time is limited. His touch is great, but sometimes you need a fastball, which I haven't seen.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Not on a team built like Ballard has built this team. 

Pocket passers will never be a dying breed. Their health and longevity makes them forever relevant. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Trask,26/36 (74?%), 3tds, o ints. How good is he really? Time will tell. They can't ztop talking about his smarts. 31 TDs and 3 INTs for year. Fields had 3 INTs today for total of 4 for the year.
/

Is it me or is the Big 12 and PAC 12 producing more NFL QBs outside the usual suspects in the ACC and SEC lately? 

Big 10 QBs - RW and Cousins, haven’t seen many lately since them. I’m down on Ohio State QBs given that trend.

Been listening to a lot of podcasts recently and the consensus on Trask seems to be the same. His lack of athleticism and traits should keep him out of the first round. Dan Orlovsky most recently said that on Move the Sticks.

Also heard the same sentiment on the Draft Dudes podcast. I’m just not buying into Trask. I don’t see it at all.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Been listening to a lot of podcasts recently and the consensus on Trask seems to be the same. His lack of athleticism and traits should keep him out of the first round. Dan Orlovsky most recently said that on Move the Sticks.

Also heard the same sentiment on the Draft Dudes podcast. I’m just not buying into Trask. I don’t see it at all.

I see it with him. I think he's a good QB... the question is ... can he be great? The things he does are not flashy, but he's a very efficient executor of an offense. IMO if he keeps playing like this it's almost certain he will go in R1 or early R2. I prefer other options but if Ballard and Reich love him and think he can be the guy, I will be willing to listen and support drafting him. 

• Like 1

Well Trask is as accurate as Rivers, throws a beautiful ball, has plenty of arm strength to make all the throws, and is a lot more athletic than Rivers or Rothlisberger. Trask is big and smart....he can be a franchise QB if developed correctly. He could be a steal if a team like Tampa, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, or Indy draft him and get a year or two of tutelage under their current starting QBs.

• Thanks 1
On 11/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, stitches said:

I see it with him. I think he's a good QB... the question is ... can he be great? The things he does are not flashy, but he's a very efficient executor of an offense. IMO if he keeps playing like this it's almost certain he will go in R1 or early R2. I prefer other options but if Ballard and Reich love him and think he can be the guy, I will be willing to listen and support drafting him. 

I hear you, but my gut says if you don’t see a guy that instantly shows you he can be great, you probably don’t take him in the 1st (at least as it pertains to QB’s). 

Plus I feel like a lot of what he has we’ve seen before. The guy who isn’t special but is efficient. That screams Mitchell Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Brandon Weeden, Jake Fromm, etc...

Now he’s playing at a higher level than those guys did in college, but he also has a ton of talent around him. Also let’s not forget about the season Dwayne Haskins had his final year. And Haskins also lacked a stand out trait. Elite college production isn’t a trait.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hear you, but my gut says if you don’t see a guy that instantly shows you he can be great, you probably don’t take him in the 1st (at least as it pertains to QB’s). 

Plus I feel like a lot of what he has we’ve seen before. The guy who isn’t special but is efficient. That screams Mitchell Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Brandon Weeden, Jake Fromm, etc...

Now he’s playing at a higher level than those guys did in college, but he also has a ton of talent around him. Also let’s not forget about the season Dwayne Haskins had his final year. And Haskins also lacked a stand out trait. Elite college production isn’t a trait.

While true, Haskins always had questionable IQ, which was his issue with Washington as well. Trask on the other hand, it is a strength of is.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, NorthernColt said:

While true, Haskins always had questionable IQ, which was his issue with Washington as well. Trask on the other hand, it is a strength of is.

True but the smart and efficient but unspectacular QB comes out every year. None of them ever really amount to much. The best average traits but good IQ QB is Brady followed by Brees. You could probably throw Goff in there too but he was crazy accurate coming out of Cal.

But if you look at all the current great QBs in the league, they all have a standout trait that jumps off the screen. Wilson has his playmaking ability that is almost unnatural when he’s on the move. Mahomes has a ln arm that’s a cheat code and plus athleticism. Watson is a dual threat with elite play making ability. Allen has a cannon arm and is a great runner. Lamar Jackson is self explanatory. Rodgers may be the best thrower of the football ever just in terms of his ability to fit ball into ridiculous windows. 

The mental is great but he needs to have some physical trait that jumps off the tape.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

True but the smart and efficient but unspectacular QB comes out every year. None of them ever really amount to much. The best average traits but good IQ QB is Brady followed by Brees. You could probably throw Goff in there too but he was crazy accurate coming out of Cal.

But if you look at all the current great QBs in the league, they all have a standout trait that jumps off the screen. Wilson has his playmaking ability that is almost unnatural when he’s on the move. Mahomes has a ln arm that’s a cheat code and plus athleticism. Watson is a dual threat with elite play making ability. Allen has a cannon arm and is a great runner. Lamar Jackson is self explanatory. Rodgers may be the best thrower of the football ever just in terms of his ability to fit ball into ridiculous windows. 

The mental is great but he needs to have some physical trait that jumps off the tape.

Yeah I don't disagree, I'm still not sold on Trask, just think he's a bit different than Haskins.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, NorthernColt said:

Yeah I don't disagree, I'm still not sold on Trask, just think he's a bit different than Haskins.

No comparison in my mind. Trask's FB IQ is off the carts. Very good arm and pocket awareness but not the most mobile but still moves well in the pocket. 

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Didn't see Wilsons last game vs Coastal Carolina, idk if anyone else watched it but here's his stats

19 for 30 63.3% completion for 240 yards 1 TD 1 INT 

The game was nothing special. His INT was a Hail Mary to end the half so nothing much there. He had some good runs to keep drives alive but the offense overall was not impressive. They ran the ball well but had fumbles. I would just say a boring game overall and neither offense was as good as they could have been. 

• Nadine locked this topic