Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dan Dakich reacts to Ravens game

LJpalmbeacher2

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Like him or Hate him, he tells it the way he sees it and seemingly is not a apologist to any one. 

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich/dan-dakich-reacts-to-frustrating-colts-loss-versus-baltimore/

Here’s the thing: when it comes to the Colts, who do I trust? Reich says they have the right guys to win it all. Some will argue that, that is just “coach- speak” and the Colts are no where near a championship team. We shall see.

Guys like DD and JMV are pretty negative. I guess it’s “cool” to be that way. Monday morning QBs with 20/20 hindsight. I stopped listening to both. 

20 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the thing: when it comes to the Colts, who do I trust? Reich says they have the right guys to win it all. Some will argue that, that is just “coach- speak” and the Colts are no where near a championship team. We shall see.

Guys like DD and JMV are pretty negative. I guess it’s “cool” to be that way. Monday morning QBs with 20/20 hindsight. I stopped listening to both. 

They have to have something to talk about.  Just like coaches have coach speak, the media has media speak.  If you’re on the radio, you better show personality. 

I’m kind of over those who try to be controversial just for ratings, but I like to listen to those with informative and logical takes.  

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They have to have something to talk about.  Just like coaches have coach speak, the media has media speak.  If you’re on the radio, you better show personality. 

I’m kind of over those who try to be controversial just for ratings, but I like to listen to those with informative and logical takes.  

I like JMV, always have. Dakich not so much, he's rude to his callers and outside of college basketball his knowledge is questionable.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like JMV, always have. Dakich not so much, he's rude to his callers and outside of college basketball his knowledge is questionable.

Dakich is dumb as dirt, he thinks Grigson was better than Ballard and tries to back it up with his win/loss record. He'll also turn down the volume on anyone who debates him and makes good points. Never listened to JMV. I may have to give him a try on youtube. I always listen to the For The Colture podcast and Bring the Juice Podcast. Luke Diamond is a version of me and absolutely tells it like it is, Jason Spears is a good co-host with him as well. They are positive when the team does things right and is doing well, and tear them apart when they do dumb things. Brutally honest guys. Same for Cody Felger and Derek Larger. They are more subdued, but solid hosts as well. I suggest listening to those 4 guys on youtube.

Eh, for me fans will be fans. when the Colts lose the fans will react just like if they win they'll react. 

Im not sure what anyone expects?? 

I listen to the For the Colture podcast and he was ranting as well, and normally he's pretty even toned. 

I personally enjoy both Dan and JMV because its Colts talk. 

If you dont like listening to either of them, why are you even on these forums where they reactions are amplified X10??

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Don't lump them all.

DD is a Bill O' Reilly type shock jock radio host personality (yeah, yeah, I hear ya but it is my show and I am always right). JMV at least keeps it level and listens to his listeners and if there is a valid point, even if it is contrary to his viewpoint, will actually agree with the listener unlike DD.

DD. I stopped listening to. JMV, I call into.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't hate him but I also refuse to give him one minute of my time. 

IMO he is a loud mouth blow hard. 

Dan Dakich is one of the worst sports commentators/pundits I've ever seen.  Even if he's right on something it's most probably accidentally so. I agree with you and I'm refusing to give him any of my time. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not sure what DD said that was so controversial in those quotes,  Seems pretty accurate.  His tone seems to come off like he is a big meanie, and I think tone influences opinions.

90% of DDs fan base are Bobby Knight fans who won't let that ship sail. :sip:

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Don't lump them all.

DD is a Bill O' Reilly type shock jock radio host personality (yeah, yeah, I hear ya but it is my show and I am always right). JMV at least keeps it level and listens to his listeners and if there is a valid point, even if it is contrary to his viewpoint, will actually agree with the listener unlike DD.

DD. I stopped listening to. JMV, I call into.

Well said. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

90% of DDs fan base are Bobby Knight fans who won't let that ship sail. :sip:

I'm not a fan of DD, I mean, not really a fan of any radio talk guy, but I've never had a problem with what he says nor his tone.  I wouldn't consider a sports radio guy a shock jock, comparing what DD talks about with what creeps like Howard Stern talk about.

I always thought bad teachers who couldn't get their message through had to resort to yelling and intimidation, if that gives you insight into my opinion of Bobby Knight.

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not a fan of DD, I mean, not really a fan of any radio talk guy, but I've never had a problem with what he says nor his tone.  I wouldn't consider a sports radio guy a shock jock, comparing what DD talks about with what creeps like Howard Stern talk about.

I always thought bad teachers who couldn't get their message through had to resort to yelling and intimidation, if that gives you insight into my opinion of Bobby Knight.

DD wouldn't even have a radio spot had he not played and was the assistant coach under Knight. 

His bullying attitude comes natural I guess. :dunno:

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

DD wouldn't even have a radio spot had he not played and was the assistant coach under Knight. 

The ignorant and proud of it confident loudmouth stereotype attracts people for some reason by the millions. You can see that type of ignoramuses being successful in all kinds of fields... from business to media to ... politics (some even get elected presidents or prime ministers). For the life of me I can't get the appeal :dunno:

You could say that a lot of sports media guys wouldn't have gotten their jobs if they weren't already known for their success in sports.  I mean, the fact that he's an Indiana sports (hero?) makes you wonder why he got a sports show in Indiana?

What exactly are JMVs qualifications?  Does well to pretend to be 15 years younger than he is in order to placate his hip fan base?  He strikes me as one of those fans who were jock wannabees but fell short due to lack of toughness.  I suppose that profile fits a certain segment of a fan base just like the profile of a Bobby Knight fan you mentioned before.

Again, I'm no fan of either.  They are both just different personalities in the array of personalities that touch my life from time to time.  No reason to take seriously.

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

his background is broadcasting and journalism, not an athlete

he might have played high school football or something but he wasnt a college caliber player 

I think both JMV and DD are fine.  They each have their own backgrounds and each provide their own take on things. 

What I find interesting is that the criticism usually comes from the same half of the public though.   Kind of tough-guy criticizing someone else for having a tough-guy attitude.  Not sure what's going on upstairs with that.  :dunno:

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You could say that a lot of sports media guys wouldn't have gotten their jobs if they weren't already known for their success in sports.  I mean, the fact that he's an Indiana sports (hero?) makes you wonder why he got a sports show in Indiana?

What exactly are JMVs qualifications?  Does well to pretend to be 15 years younger than he is in order to placate his hip fan base?  He strikes me as one of those fans who were jock wannabees but fell short due to lack of toughness.  I suppose that profile fits a certain segment of a fan base just like the profile of a Bobby Knight fan you mentioned before.

Again, I'm no fan of either.  They are both just different personalities in the array of personalities that touch my life from time to time.  No reason to take seriously.

I don't listen to either DD or JMV. 

JMV spends too much time talking about music groups of the 90s for my taste. lol 

I think the majority of his fan base grew up in central and southern Indiana thus is popularity. 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't hate him but I also refuse to give him one minute of my time. 

IMO he is a loud mouth blow hard. 

I agree.

i have a strong opinion of who i think he is at his core, but i’ll keep that to myself.

just another fool that loves the sound of his own voice and thinks he’s smarter than he actually is.

We’ve been forced to listen to alot of people like that this year.

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’ll give ya DD, but JMV is usually pretty fair and honest. 

21 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I like Dakich. He gives it to you straight and tells it like it is. The Indy media is too soft for the most part in my opinion. I appreciate his style in contrast. 

There is a difference between telling it like it is over insulting people for not agreeing with him 100%. 

Dude was suspended for calling the people of Scottsburg meth heads and then made threats he was going down to Scottsburg and beat the hell out of board members. 

He then backed that up with saying that Scottsburg was full of meth , aids and needles. 

If you like that 'style' I guess that's your right. 

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I like Dakich. He gives it to you straight and tells it like it is. The Indy media is too soft for the most part in my opinion. I appreciate his style in contrast. 

I think he tells you like he thinks it is and if you disagree with him he belittles you.  That’s elementary school bully behavior that most people grow out of but he clearly never has.  

On 11/10/2020 at 2:36 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Like him or Hate him, he tells it the way he sees it and seemingly is not a apologist to any one. 

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich/dan-dakich-reacts-to-frustrating-colts-loss-versus-baltimore/

I disagree that he tells it the way he sees it.  He tells it the way he WANTS to see it.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a difference between telling it like it is over insulting people for not agreeing with him 100%. 

Dude was suspended for calling the people of Scottsburg meth heads and then made threats he was going down to Scottsburg and beat the hell out of board members. 

He then backed that up with saying that Scottsburg was full of meth , aids and needles. 

If you like that 'style' I guess that's your right. 

Although that impression of Scottsburg is a broad generalization of the town, I believe that Scottsburg led the state in per capita meth problems, and has been high on the annual ranking for years.  I mean, its a broad generalization that impugns people because of where they live, which is impolite, but its not like he totally made it up. 

Its communication style, IMO.  It can be a problem if listeners take him literally and don't understand where there is generalized hyperbole that exaggerates actual facts underpinning the point.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Although that impression of Scottsburg is a broad generalization of the town, I believe that Scottsburg led the state in per capita meth problems, and has been high on the annual ranking for years.  I mean, its a broad generalization that impugns people because of where they live, which is impolite, but its not like he totally made it up. 

Its communication style, IMO.  It can be a problem if listeners take him literally and don't understand where there is generalized hyperbole that exaggerates actual facts underpinning the point.

I highly doubt the school board members are meth heads. 

You may try to make excuses for DD but it wont work in changing my opinion of him.

Impolite don't touch what he is IMO. I cant use the exact words for him because profanity is not allowed. 

On 11/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, DougDew said:

I am not a Knight fan, but I think you might be a little off on him.  His teams were the best coached teams by a pretty wide margin most of the time from 75-87.  Those players learned a lot and they learned it with precision.  With the exception of Thomas, there weren't any really good pros on those teams.

When I grew up in the 70s and 80s most of us didn't mind being yelled at.  I am not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it was.  

I understand what you are saying, but I just disagree with it as a blanket statement.

I'm totally down with the stuff about radio guys in general. The last radio sports guy I listened to regularly was the drummer for The Black Crowes.  I enjoyed him for a while on my way home from work.  

On 11/10/2020 at 6:40 AM, coltsfeva said:

Guys like DD and JMV are pretty negative. 

this team has not won anything significant in a while with the exception of Lucks last season.  even then they started like 1-5 before going on a run.  whatever positives happened that year were quickly forgotten when luck retired.  that created a huge cloud of negativity 

the game tonight is going to be a big deal, this and the home game vs the titans will shape the fan's and media's perception for a while i think 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:36 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I've found that many people who 'tell it the way it is' are often loudmouths who dont stop to think past base level 1. Dakich often has many foot-in-mouth moments (of course unapologetically as is on-brand) because he just refuses to think things through or show any empathy. 

I highly doubt the school board members are meth heads. 

You may try to make excuses for DD but it wont work in changing my opinion of him.

Impolite don't touch what he is IMO. I cant use the exact words for him because profanity is not allowed. 

If you think he called the members meth heads, you're probably taking it literally.  

I would guess that DD didn't disparage the town out of the blue.  I assume something happened, maybe a caller from Scottsburg, or somebody in Scottsburg doing something stupid, or maybe DD being criticized by someone who was from S'burg.  In that context, you can understand calling everybody from Scottsburg meth heads....kind of getting back at someone by criticizing where they're from and digging at a sore spot.  Its personality.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but not universally labeled as off putting.....just to some.

55 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I am not a Knight fan, but I think you might be a little off on him.  His teams were the best coached teams by a pretty wide margin most of the time from 75-87.  Those players learned a lot and they learned it with precision.  With the exception of Thomas, there weren't any really good pros on those teams.

When I grew up in the 70s and 80s most of us didn't mind being yelled at.  I am not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it was.  

I understand what you are saying, but I just disagree with it as a blanket statement.

I was mainly referring to his later years.  Seemed to pop off a lot to his players right away rather than educate.  I can see doing the intimidation act on the refs, but some of the stuff he did with the kids in his later years just struck me as him being an old man frustrated that he couldn't get through to the kids, and lost it too early on them.  Or was harboring some sort of pent up frustration that was easily triggered.

I'm not against tough guys or yellers at all. There is a time and place for almost anything.  It just seemed like that was his only tactic during those later years.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I was mainly referring to his later years.  Seemed to pop off a lot to his players right away rather than educate.  I can see doing the intimidation act on the refs, but some of the stuff he did with the kids in his later years just struck me as him being an old man frustrated that he couldn't get through to the kids, and lost it too early on them.  Or was harboring some sort of pent up frustration that was easily triggered.

I'm not against tough guys or yellers at all. There is a time and place for almost anything.  It just seemed like that was his only tactic during those later years.

He seemed to become a caricature of himself didn't he?  Doubling down so to speak.  I totally agree with that.  He was ineffective most of the last 3rd of his career.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

If you think he called the members meth heads, you're probably taking it literally.  

I would guess that DD didn't disparage the town out of the blue.  I assume something happened, maybe a caller from Scottsburg, or somebody in Scottsburg doing something stupid, or maybe DD being criticized by someone who was from S'burg.  In that context, you can understand calling everybody from Scottsburg meth heads....kind of getting back at someone by criticizing where they're from and digging at a sore spot.  Its personality.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but not universally labeled as off putting.....just to some.

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/high-school/2020/03/20/here-dan-dakich-talking-scottsburg-espn-fan/2888396001/

50 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I usually put on DD or JMV replay when I go to bed. Almost 100% of the time I am asleep within 5 minutes. Not sure if that means they are boring or soothing. Either way, who cares. They put me to sleep and that's all that matters.

I like JMV he’s a lot more honest and understands there are other opinions in the world besides his.

Archived