Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Comparison of Preparedness and Attention to Detail: Harbaugh versus Reich

I thought this was a stark comparison, so here goes.  

Harbaugh saw a play that the fans, coaches on the Colts, most of the players and the announcers (and perhaps, if honest and the protestations here are any indication, many of you reading this, that he knew, based on his understanding of the rules, had a very good chance to be rules not only a catch, but also a fumble which his team was trained to pounce on.  

I had a worry about it having been caught in real time, but because they blew the whistles I didn't even look to see who jumped on it nor did I think at the time that they needed to.  But I am just a guy who isn't paid to worry about such things.  Harbaugh is.  So when the time came on a nearly split second obscured play (from his direct viewpoint) he had his staff and players trained to react.  The DB of course made a play on the ball which was a duck underthrown directly into double coverage.  Not exactly tough.  But he felt he had the ball long enough to immediately protest and got up insisting that. Additionally they out hustled the Colts to recover the loose ball.  While the Colts got ready for the next play, Harbaughs team dissected the play and knew they could sell it to the refs.  He did just that. He stated the interception, the 3 moves to the letter of the law, the subsequent fumble and the clear recovery of the ball.  Because he was so specific to the rules in his challenge, the refs already had a bias to look at it in those same terms. I wasn't surprised they called it just like Harbaugh described. 

Meanwhile...

The Colts get the ball at midfield with time running down.  Reich decides to insert Brissett (to show him how much he's loved I guess) but hadn't actually told Brissett the plan until there was 24 seconds on the clock.  Brissett had been in his customary place on the sideline and his helmet was still on the bench. Unprepared mentally or literally, he rushes to his helmet (no one even gets it for him meaning no one else was ready either. He runs out on the field just in time to get a penalty. Now he's too far to throw the Hail Mary so the threat of that is gone completely. The play that was called, according to Kevin Bowen of 103 The Fan, is to toss a screen and then /i suppose the shenanigans would commence, though that would be highly dangerous in the first half if it went wrong.  But thankfully we didn't have to take that risk because the thoroughly unprepared team had 2 penalties and the clock had expired.  

I think that turn of events is very reminiscent of and amateurish like the disastrous Pagano play that ranked #1 worst all time by many clip shows.  This may not have looked as funny, but it was just as damning to the entire staff and team.  Reich is well liked.  We have a "nice" coach for sure.  Just like Chuck.  In more ways than one.  

But that's just my opinion.  

• Like 6
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Comparing those two plays and then making it an issue making Harbaugh over Reich is reaching for something you need a ladder for.

Just my opinion. 

I would expect nothing more from you than an opinion... nothing at all. 

• Like 2

No doubt Harbaugh is an excellent coach.  But wasn’t it just two seasons ago there were rumors of him being let go?  Then they brought in Lamar and changed the offense to suit him.  Obviously they have a great front office and always get great players.  

I’m not giving up on Frank.  He had one season with a great QB.  It’s hard to be considered a good coach without the right guy at the helm.  It almost sunk Harbaugh, right?

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Comparing Reich to Pagano isn't fair/warranted at all. 

I still think that INT was called incorrectly. 

I also have a sneaking suspicion JB was put in there because Rivers can't throw it that far. 

I think it was more likely because they knew that whoever was going to heave it had a good chance of being sacked.  JB has a little more mobility than PR.  Why risk getting your starter injured?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I think it was more likely because they knew that whoever was going to heave it had a good chance of being sacked.  JB has a little more mobility than PR.  Why risk getting your starter injured?

1 statue made of Syrup and 1 statue made of Molasses....what could go wrong? lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reich is that coach who intelligent, unbiased, Colts fans know is bad by now, but it will go unnoticed by the casual fanbase for a couple more years until he gets fired. Very unfortunate, he is going to destroy this team for the next few years and all the work Ballard has done for us. He even gives Ballard bad suggestions in the draft such as Campbell and Pittman (which is shown on "with the next pick"), so he is messing us up in the draft as well by having Ballard draft the wrong players. 

He's basically Adam Gase without the bad attitude. There's a reason nobody wanted him as a coach and Ballard had to get him as a reserve after McDaniels turned us down. If we miss the playoffs, he needs to be fired. He is killing this team from the inside out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just one quick correction: 

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Now he's too far to throw the Hail Mary so the threat of that is gone completely.   

the 5 yard delay of game penalty did not put the Colts out of Hail Mary range. 

• Like 1

Brissett was inserted because Rivers doesn’t have the arm to toss a Hail Mary that far. I’m sure they practice that play with JB. Why he wasn’t prepared to go in is beyond me. He should have been ready to go. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Reich is that coach who intelligent, unbiased, Colts fans know is bad by now, but it will go unnoticed by the casual fanbase for a couple more years until he gets fired. Very unfortunate, he is going to destroy this team for the next few years and all the work Ballard has done for us. He even gives Ballard bad suggestions in the draft such as Campbell and Pittman (which is shown on "with the next pick"), so he is messing us up in the draft as well by having Ballard draft the wrong players. 

He's basically Adam Gase without the bad attitude. There's a reason nobody wanted him as a coach and Ballard had to get him as a reserve after McDaniels turned us down. If we miss the playoffs, he needs to be fired. He is killing this team from the inside out.

Campbell wasn’t a bad pick. How would they know he was going to have the injury situation. Pittman is going to be just fine. If he has Big Ben at QB and a coach like Tomlin he would be doing just as well as Claypool. 

Seeing how we always have WR issues. I do  think he should of took two WR though instead of Taylor.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Just one quick correction: 

the 5 yard delay of game penalty did not put the Colts out of Hail Mary range. 

They were not even going to try one, so you seem to disagree with their assessment. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Campbell wasn’t a bad pick. How would they know he was going to have the injury situation. Pittman is going to be just fine. If he has Big Ben at QB and a coach like Tomlin he would be doing just as well as Claypool. 

Seeing how we always have WR issues. I do  think he should of took two WR though instead of Taylor.

Did Campbell miss games at OSU?

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I don't disagree plus Rivers didn't want the likely INT added to his stats. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I also have a sneaking suspicion JB was put in there because Rivers can't throw it that far. 

the INT wasn't part of this post AND that horrible pass DESERVED to be intercepted.  Heinous!

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I don't disagree plus Rivers didn't want the likely INT added to his stats. 

At this point in his life, I don't think Rivers cares about that. People are going to be set in their ways as to how to perceive him by now, which has been a mixed bag, hot and cold, throughout his career.

Reich just needs to hand over the play calling duties to Sirianni and will be able to focus on the small details he may not have the bandwidth to focus on, IMO. Yes, the ceiling of our offense is a tad limited with the talent assembled but I do not think we are maximizing it, just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Brissett was inserted because Rivers doesn’t have the arm to toss a Hail Mary that far. I’m sure they practice that play with JB. Why he wasn’t prepared to go in is beyond me. He should have been ready to go. 

Apparently, that was going to be a screen play.  At least that's what Kevin Bowen said.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Again, it's not Campbell and Pittman being injured or underperforming to this point, it's the fact that 5-6 receivers in the 2019 draft available at our pick have turned out to be really good, and our pick is tbd at this point. In 2020 yes, we could of taken Pittman or Claypool, similarly built receivers, and we chose wrong up to this point. I don't blame Ballard for making the wrong choices here, I will and always will blame Reich for suggesting them. Ballard said to make your voices heard, Reich did that. He is a coach, not a scout. It's not in his field to suggest which receivers he gets to use. Ballards track record at every other position is good enough for me to solely blame it on Reich. 

Reich is a bad coach, and he is a negative influence on the draft. He's an anchor at this point, and I'm lower on him than any other Coach, Coordinator, or Player on the team.

4 hours ago, BigO said:

How much are we paying Brissett to not be prepared to play?

He was in for one play and because a delay of game was called you assume Brissett was not ready to play? 

That is pure nit picking when there is a lot more things to complain about. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Again, it's not Campbell and Pittman being injured or underperforming to this point, it's the fact that 5-6 receivers in the 2019 draft available at our pick have turned out to be really good, and our pick is tbd at this point. In 2020 yes, we could of taken Pittman or Claypool, similarly built receivers, and we chose wrong up to this point. I don't blame Ballard for making the wrong choices here, I will and always will blame Reich for suggesting them. Ballard said to make your voices heard, Reich did that. He is a coach, not a scout. It's not in his field to suggest which receivers he gets to use. Ballards track record at every other position is good enough for me to solely blame it on Reich. 

Reich is a bad coach, and he is a negative influence on the draft. He's an anchor at this point, and I'm lower on him than any other Coach, Coordinator, or Player on the team.

No reason to write off Pittman...but if you watch the "With the Next Pick" series...they were ALL all in on Pittman. If we are to believe the time stamps on the video...they were actually debating between Pittman and Taylor the day before the draft even started...which would imply a bit of tunnel vision for both players. Now maybe there were other players discussed...and they just edited that part out (because why would you leave that in there)...but it would seem like they were going Pittman and Taylor if they were there.

And I would assume this happens with a lot of prospects...including Campbell. Which is why I have said in the past...that I have questions about WR scouting. A group of 10-15 FO staff and coaches...all sharing their educated opinions...and they came to an agreement that passing on AJ Brown to draft Ben Banogu was a good idea...or that passing on DK Metcalf to draft Campbell was a good idea. 

My point is that I don't think it's just Reich...I think everyone has had a hand in where the offense is from a skill position standpoint. Some of that couldn't be avoided (like injury)...but the Colts lack playmakers and it shows.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, chad72 said:

At this point in his life, I don't think Rivers cares about that. People are going to be set in their ways as to how to perceive him by now, which has been a mixed bag, hot and cold, throughout his career.

Reich just needs to hand over the play calling duties to Sirianni and will be able to focus on the small details he may not have the bandwidth to focus on, IMO. Yes, the ceiling of our offense is a tad limited with the talent assembled but I do not think we are maximizing it, just my two cents.

I will agree here. I think every head coach needs to allow their OC to run the offense to allow them the ability to run the team, that is after all their primary job, the entire team. Now on the flip side of that, there are a couple exceptions perhaps. Reid is a guru as a play caller, Sean Payton and maybe even sean Mcvay and Kyle Shannahan, these guys are some dynamic play callers who really create some excellent schemes and has the resume of an excellent play caller. Reich doesn’t have that, he was thought of as a good play caller perhaps but he had issues in San Diego and wasn’t the play caller in Philly. 

I don’t know what the answer is here because I don’t think anyone is going to convince FR that he needs to hand over play calling to Sirianni unless it’s Ballard telling him either hand the duties over or face the real possibility of being termed. I think at this point, Reich has shown to be just a notch above the talent level of where Pagano was and neither have reached what Arians brought to the team in his HC duties. From what I’ve read on these Colts boards, I don’t get the feeling that Reich has 100% firm planted feet on the Indy ground as some would think. Ballard better have standards in which whatever coach is here and the stones to adhere to them. If that means making a change for the betterment of the team, whether it’s a new play caller or a new head coach and direction, he had better take that on or he will find himself outside just as the Mora and Tobin era guys were. 

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

They were not even going to try one, so you seem to disagree with their assessment. 

No, I'm saying they weren't doing a Hail Mary in an attempt to catch the Ravens off guard, not because they were out of Hail Mary range.

In 2018, Colts vs Eagles, Colts had the ball on their own 46 yard line, Brissett came in for Luck and threw it out the back of the end zone.

In Sunday's game, Colts, after the penalty, had the ball on their own 46 yard line. I doubt JB has lost 10 yards off his long ball in two years.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He was in for one play and because a delay of game was called you assume Brissett was not ready to play? 

That is pure nit picking when there is a lot more things to complain about. 

Were you even watching the game

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

No reason to write off Pittman...but if you watch the "With the Next Pick" series...they were ALL all in on Pittman. If we are to believe the time stamps on the video...they were actually debating between Pittman and Taylor the day before the draft even started...which would imply a bit of tunnel vision for both players. Now maybe there were other players discussed...and they just edited that part out (because why would you leave that in there)...but it would seem like they were going Pittman and Taylor if they were there.

And I would assume this happens with a lot of prospects...including Campbell. Which is why I have said in the past...that I have questions about WR scouting. A group of 10-15 FO staff and coaches...all sharing their educated opinions...and they came to an agreement that passing on AJ Brown to draft Ben Banogu was a good idea...or that passing on DK Metcalf to draft Campbell was a good idea. 

My point is that I don't think it's just Reich...I think everyone has had a hand in where the offense is from a skill position standpoint. Some of that couldn't be avoided (like injury)...but the Colts lack playmakers and it shows.

I honestly think they were so blown away with their intelligence, charisma and leadership traits that they may have been a little blinded. Pittman has barely played, even less than Taylor. i think both players need to start figuring in on the offense. I would love to see far more usage of Taylor and Hines in innovative 2 back sets.  Both are lightning fast in space and both can catch.  (Taylor is tops on the team in catch % and Hines in Catches.  Next level I would love to see some two back two TE sets with Pittman or Harris out wide.   Give them multiple looks with multiple options out of each lineup.  Stop running every first down and every other second down then trying to make  third and short.  I'll take either of our RBs in the flat or even running and inside crossing route.  Our TE's could really help us too so we could switch between heavy run and tossing 3 big bodies and two fast RBs out to dominate quick routes.  Just give us a look at actually leaning on these guys.  They are our future, like it or not.  Taylor and Pittman have to work out and both need volume.  Hines gets completely shelved every other game.  Why? It all really is baffling.  

Even if you hate all of the above, how could it be worse than what we're doing now.  Use our speed and size advantages.  Sure outside of maybe Harris or Hines on a deep route we don't have a deep speed threat.  But everything else is on the table.   We have tons of red zone guys.  Use them! 

• Like 3

Just as an aside, for those of us who played ball past high school, did you ever have your helmet off on the sidelines? Outside of adjustments I can't recall having it off.  I used to tilt it back to drink that was about it.  Weird you are an offensive player and have the ball and you're always one play away, but you don't have your helmet at least nearby? Could you have the equipment guy on alert then to have it to you quickly at the least?  Someone dropped that ball.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I honestly think they were so blown away with their intelligence, charisma and leadership traits that they may have been a little blinded. Pittman has barely played, even less than Taylor. i think both players need to start figuring in on the offense. I would love to see far more usage of Taylor and Hines in innovative 2 back sets.  Both are lightning fast in space and both can catch.  (Taylor is tops on the team in catch % and Hines in Catches.  Next level I would love to see some two back two TE sets with Pittman or Harris out wide.   Give them multiple looks with multiple options out of each lineup.  Stop running every first down and every other second down then trying to make  third and short.  I'll take either of our RBs in the flat or even running and inside crossing route.  Our TE's could really help us too so we could switch between heavy run and tossing 3 big bodies and two fast RBs out to dominate quick routes.  Just give us a look at actually leaning on these guys.  They are our future, like it or not.  Taylor and Pittman have to work out and both need volume.  Hines gets completely shelved every other game.  Why? It all really is baffling.  

Even if you hate all of the above, how could it be worse than what we're doing now.  Use our speed and size advantages.  Sure outside of maybe Harris or Hines on a deep route we don't have a deep speed threat.  But everything else is on the table.   We have tons of red zone guys.  Use them! 

I really would love to see a two back set as well.   Like you said,  both Taylor and Hines can catch, so that would keep them guessing if it were a HB pass. 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Funny how general statements like this are considered “non-bias” and “intelligent”. Is Reich perfect? No. But I’ve seen a lot of creativity and pragmatic use of personnel from Reich, along with the occasional mistakes. 
  I’m not saying Reich can do no wrong, but after a loss, things get magnified and people are quick to assess a player or coach, based solely on their mistakes and disregard their accomplishments. 

16 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Never ever believe the dogma that says that teams draft BPA.  They draft for need, period.

Just before that draft, Ballard signed Funchess.  He had his Reggie role, His AJ Brown role.  Campbell was viewed as an immediate slot and a possible future TY.  That was the need at the time.  IMO, AJ was passed because he and every other WR like him was off the Colts' board because of the Funchess signing.  Campbell was rated as the best slot prospect in the draft.  And we needed a slot badly.  Any wonder why he was drafted? Once they figured Campbell would be available later, they were free to use the higher pick on a pass rusher they coveted also. 

I doubt that Ballard even thought much about Brown after the Funchess signing.

Sure, the contract was just one year, but there was that possibility he could be extended.  OTOH, there was nothing at slot at the time.  That was the bigger need.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Never ever believe the dogma that says that teams draft BPA.  They draft for need, period.

Just before that draft, Ballard signed Funchess.  He had his Reggie role, His AJ Brown role.  Campbell was viewed as an immediate slot and a possible future TY.  That was the need at the time.  IMO, AJ was passed because he and every other WR like him was off the Colts' board because of the Funchess signing.  Campbell was rated as the best slot prospect in the draft.  And we needed a slot badly.  Any wonder why he was drafted? Once they figured Campbell would be available later, they were free to use the higher pick on a pass rusher they coveted also. 

I doubt that Ballard even thought much about Brown after the Funchess signing.

Sure, the contract was just one year, but there was that possibility he could be extended.  OTOH, there was nothing at slot at the time.  That was the bigger need.

Great post Doug! :thmup:

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I watched every second of the game.

You can draw your own conclusions on your opinion but it doesn't make it fact. 

The fact is he was not ready to go in the game. He first had to find his helmet. I can't wait till he is gone next year. Way overpaid and I doubt he is even on a team next year. So you have your opinion and I have mine.

1 hour ago, BigO said:

The fact is he was not ready to go in the game. He first had to find his helmet. I can't wait till he is gone next year. Way overpaid and I doubt he is even on a team next year. So you have your opinion and I have mine.

I've been avoiding the forum all season from personal COVID restrictions and when I get dragged back in, same ol' typical Colts fan page.

So Brissett is supposed to be a clairvoyant now.  He is supposed to be ready at all times to come in even when the player ahead of him is healthy and playing.  OK.  I guess.

That game was lost on 2 plays.  That terrible Taylor fumble and that all around horrendous INT by Rivers.  The Colts will never be better than mediocre with that guy at QB.  That pass was atrocious and that read was terrible as well.  You just can't throw that ball period.

And to OP, Harbaugh got lucky with that challenge.  At that point in the game he had nothing to lose and no one anywhere thought that was INT then fumble.  Good call by him but let's not act like that was some sort of genius preparedness more so than just a very low risk calculated gamble.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BigO said:

Not JB's fault.  He was on the sideline being a great team leader/locker room presence.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/10/2020 at 7:39 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Rivers has already throw the ball 50+ yards on multiple occasions this year.