Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mediocre QB?  What are you talking about lol?  He's top 10 in Passing yards, Passing TD, QBR, and completion %.  He carried a cruddy Chargers organization for prevented them from being the jags/browns

Not joking, and with all due respect to Rivers... but I got non football people watching the Colts and they can even see he can't throw the ball anymore. At what point do we keep letting Rivers be a d

Clown

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

He still has a noodle arm lol. Special teams won that game. We had one long pass? Yeah read the OP. I never said he can't have an average game. 

29 for 39 for 308 yards is a little more than an average game.  It’s actually a really good game building on his good games vs the Bengals and Lions.  The one he’s struggled in his last four is the Ravens and the last time I checked they are pretty darn good on defense there and make a lot of QBs struggle.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

29 for 39 for 308 yards is a little more than an average game.  It’s actually a really good game building on his good games vs the Bengals and Lions.  The one he’s struggled in his last four is the Ravens and the last time I checked they are pretty darn good on defense there and make a lot of QBs struggle.

10-6, we lose early in playoffs. 

Look, I like Phillip. But he is what he is. It's not gonna be enough late in the season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

10-6, we lose early in playoffs. 

Look, I like Phillip. But he is what he is. It's not gonna be enough late in the season. 

If that's how the season turns out, Philip is likely invited back for another year - are you okay with that, or are you dying to see the next Colts QB under center because it's not Jacoby Brissett, and Eason may not be ready just yet.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If that's how the season turns out, Philip is likely invited back for another year - are you okay with that, or are you dying to see the next Colts QB under center because it's not Jacoby Brissett, and Eason may not be ready just yet.

I sincerely hope this is Phillip's only year with the colts. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I sincerely hope this is Phillip's only year with the colts. 

And I  sincerely hope that conditions exist in which Philip & the Colts mutually agree on 1 more season with him as our starting quarterback.

• Like 3
Just now, Lancer1 said:

And I  sincerely hope that conditions exist in which Philip & the Colts mutually agree on 1 more season with him as our starting quarterback.

I don't think you'll be saying that later in the year. And if you think 10-6 with a top 3 defense is acceptable, then we are just somewhere else. I'm on Mars sipping Bengal juice, and you're in San Diego drawing 17's in the sand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think you'll be saying that later in the year. And if you think 10-6 with a top 3 defense is acceptable, then we are just somewhere else. I'm on Mars sipping Bengal juice, and you're in San Diego drawing 17's in the sand. 

Although I'm originally from San Diego, I've  lived in Florida for the past decade +. I'd rather see the Colts make the postseason and take their chances in them,  then move on to the future QB so soon because the prior scenario could be pretty beneficial to both Philip & the Colts, especially if they get the running game working  and the defense keeps kicking butt.

Man, the point is that Rivers suck. Who do I know, well if you ask any non Indy Loyalist, they will say the same (Dan Dokich, and 90% of fox and ESPN). 

Lastly for all the Loyalist, if Philip is so good, where does he rank on the Colts team? Guess what he isn't even top 3 on his own team. Maybe even not 5 so how is this guy worth $25 mill?

So before you say disparaging comments answer my question as to where does Philip rank on this team, before you give him any kind of credit. BTW, Ryan Tannehill (former dolphin QB) Is better than Philip (moved into 5th overall in passing yards) smh.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Man, the point is that Rivers suck. Who do I know, well if you ask any non Indy Loyalist, they will say the same (Dan Dokich, and 90% of fox and ESPN). 

Lastly for all the Loyalist, if Philip is so good, where does he rank on the Colts team? Guess what he isn't even top 3 on his own team. Maybe even not 5 so how is this guy worth $25 mill?

So before you say disparaging comments answer my question as to where does Philip rank on this team, before you give him any kind of credit. BTW, Ryan Tannehill (former dolphin QB) Is better than Philip (moved into 5th overall in passing yards) smh.

Clown

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
12 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Clown

why cant you debate his points instead of throwing personal shots ?    you get that upset over someone talking bad about rivers ?  rivers is starting to look better as the season goes on , hopefully he gets more consistent .   We wont know if it was worth it until the season is over .

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

why cant you debate his points instead of throwing personal shots ?    you get that upset over someone talking bad about rivers ?  rivers is starting to look better as the season goes on , hopefully he gets more consistent .   We wont know if it was worth it until the season is over .

Because he doesn't make any points to respond to.

It's just "Rivers sucks and ESPN agrees with me!"

There have been numerous discussions on this board about all the things Rivers provides this team.  You're being intentionally obtuse.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

7 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Clown

Clown? Thats the best you can do? Anyways what a coincidence that FS1  (Skip and Shannon: Undisputed) they echoed the same thing I stated above. Skip: RIvers has moments that make you go "Oh"..."No". Shannon: Rivers shouldn’t be first ballot HOF when Kurt Werner wasn't first ballot. And from the 2004 draft (Eli, Big Ben, Rivers) 2 of them have 2 Superbowls, Rivers hasn't made it pass AFC Championship game. Losing  Please allow a few mins to post the link from this mornings show.

Here is two reasons why Rivers isn't worth $25 Mill instead of name calling.

Rivers has shown two deficiencies to opposing defenses.

1) During the last weeks (Colts v Ravens) game, at the 50 yard line, the Colts sub in Jacoby to throw a hail mary.

2) During yesterday’s Titans game, at the 2 yard line, the Colts sub in Jacoby for a QB sneak.

And here's a third and forth reason. The Colts Lost to the Ravens (24-10).  Halftime score (Colts: 10 | Ravens: 7) Do you think the Colts will beat Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, etc. in the playoffs if you can only score 10 points????

Are we expecting the defense to hold teams to under 10 points? 

I totally see the young pieces that CB is putting together (Blackmon, Leonard, Walker, Bobby, Autry, of course Defo and Mo Allie-Cox.). 

Please have a football discussion. Dont Ever Give Up.

• Haha 1

As a long time Chargers fan, I never thought that Rivers threw a good long ball because of his throwing motion.  It just doesn't seem to "drop down" so to speak on those type plays where the db cannot touch it.  But that is just a hunch.  The number of times that type of throw is necessary is not that often, and I have seen some good deep throws this year anyway.

As far as arm strength, I think its good enough.  His accuracy and leadership are way more important.  He's definitely better than your backup right?

You guys handled the Titans last nite.  That is impressive by any measure.  I would stop complaining, and enjoy him while you have him, faults and all.  You will miss him when he is gone.

I remember a long time ago, if anyone is old enough to remember...there was a QB called Jeff George...I think the Colts drafted him...number 1?  One of the strongest arms in NFL history.  End of discussion.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Clown? Thats the best you can do? Anyways what a coincidence that FS1  (Skip and Shannon: Undisputed) they echoed the same thing I stated above. Skip: RIvers has moments that make you go "Oh"..."No". Shannon: Rivers shouldn’t be first ballot HOF when Kurt Werner wasn't first ballot. And from the 2004 draft (Eli, Big Ben, Rivers) 2 of them have 2 Superbowls, Rivers hasn't made it pass AFC Championship game. Losing  Please allow a few mins to post the link from this mornings show.

1) During the last weeks (Colts v Ravens) game, at the 50 yard line, the Colts sub in Jacoby to throw a hail mary.

2) During yesterday’s Titans game, at the 2 yard line, the Colts sub in Jacoby for a QB sneak.

And here's a third and forth reason. The Colts Lost to the Ravens (24-10).  Halftime score (Colts: 10 | Ravens: 7) Do you think the Colts will beat Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, etc. in the playoffs if you can only score 10 points????

I totally see the young pieces that CB is putting together (Blackmon, Leonard, Walker, Bobby, Autry, of course Defo and Mo Allie-Cox.). 

So you base your opinions on what Skip and Shannon say?  Two guys that are notorious for horrible takes and shock value.

Is Brees overpaid because the Saints bring in Taysom Hill on a regular basis?

Did you see Brady get destroyed last week?  38-3, and he had a worse game than any of Rivers' games so far this year.

Are you willing to say that Brees and Brady are both overpaid?  If not, you're a huge hypocrite.

6 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

So you base your opinions on what Skip and Shannon say?  Two guys that are notorious for horrible takes and shock value.

Is Brees overpaid because the Saints bring in Taysom Hill on a regular basis?

Did you see Brady get destroyed last week?  38-3, and he had a worse game than any of Rivers' games so far this year.

Are you willing to say that Brees and Brady are both overpaid?  If not, you're a huge hypocrite.

Are you saying Rivers is of the same cloth/quality/makeup as Brady or Brees? Im not even going any further.

And oh, I posted my comment before the show or that particular segment started. You don't know me obviously, because I make football opinions objectively. It's just that alot of your out of market, and some in-market football commentators feel the same as I. Check out Colin Cowherd. He's another Big National sports commentator who actually likes CB and the Colts, he makes objective opinions as well. Not name calling rather speaking football.

Oh you not off the hook, you never answer my question.

So before you say disparaging comments answer my question as to where does Philip rank on this team, before you give him any kind of credit.

Are you saying Rivers is of the same cloth/quality/makeup as Brady or Brees? Im not even going any further.

You made two points to back up your claim that Rivers sucks.

I then pointed out that those same points could be applied to Brady and Brees, which I assume you feel are better QBs.

Thus debunking your argument.

Just now, DontEverGiveUp said:

I then pointed out that those same points could be applied to Brady and Brees, which I assume you feel are better QBs.

I'm going to answer your question (same points could be applied to Brady and Brees, which I assume you feel are better QBs) with my initial question. There's no going around it. lol

So before you say disparaging comments answer my question as to where does Philip rank on this team, before you give him any kind of credit.

Rivers played well at TEN.  Was very accurate.  But we're going to have to take more shots down the field.  I think he did a couple of those just for that reason, as the plays were covered.

Need TY to get open down field.  Maybe we can take some shots with Pittman instead.  Or even speedy-Harris

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I'm going to answer your question (same points could be applied to Brady and Brees, which I assume you feel are better QBs) with my initial question. There's no going around it. lol

So before you say disparaging comments answer my question as to where does Philip rank on this team, before you give him any kind of credit.

So, you are going to ignore that your main arguments were shown to be ridiculous when applied to other QBs?  Okay, got it.

As for your question.  I don't know how you can accurately compare/rank players at different positions, but if I had to try, I'd say Rivers is probably around our 5th-7th "best player"?  Not sure what kind of point that proves for you though.  QBs get paid more because there aren't that many good ones out there.

16 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I made the two point to highlight deficiencies with Rivers and that the two QBs you mentioned (Brady and Bress) can do both of what I pointed out. The Colts relied on JB more than once for dumb plays to be honest (especially the hailmary because we got a delay of game after subbing in JB smh)

29 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Brees can Brady can throw from the 50 yardline. and both Brees and Brady are amongst the NFL best in QB sneaks. Rivers can can neither scramble outside of the pocket, perform the RB stretch play from under center (As many colts fans thought the Manning RB stretch would come back).

And it's kind of funny that the Colts are drawing pistol type plays where the WR motions pre-snap and QB push pass the ball to the motioning WR/TE. Very similar to Chiefs, Panthers, and others. Another deficiency I see is that the defense will never honor the potential for a QB run. They will never account for Rivers running anywhere. 

I just believe the Colts are winning not solely because of Rivers and whenever the time comes for Rivers to put the team on his shoulders, he doesn't have that extra it to get the team over the hump.

I made the two point to highlight deficiencies with Rivers and that the two QBs you mentioned (Brady and Bress) can do both of what I pointed out. The Colts relied on JB more than once for dumb plays to be honest (especially the hailmary because we got a delay of game after subbing in JB smh)

Brees can Brady can throw from the 50 yardline. and both Brees and Brady are amongst the NFL best in QB sneaks. Rivers can can neither scramble outside of the pocket, perform the RB stretch play from under center (As many colts fans thought the Manning RB stretch would come back).

And it's kind of funny that the Colts are drawing pistol type plays where the WR motions pre-snap and QB push pass the ball to the motioning WR/TE. Very similar to Chiefs, Panthers, and others. Another deficiency I see is that the defense will never honor the potential for a QB run. They will never account for Rivers running anywhere. 

I just believe the Colts are winning not solely because of Rivers and whenever the time comes for Rivers to put the team on his shoulders, he doesn't have that extra it to get the team over the hump.

I made the two point to highlight deficiencies with the two QBs you mentioned (Brady and Bress) can do both of what I pointed out. The Colts relied on JB more than once for dumb plays to be honest (especially the hailmary because we got a delay of game after subbing in JB smh) 

Alright, we'll end it here.  I haven't seen anyone say the Colts are winning solely because of Rivers.  He's been an upgrade at the position, and gives the Colts a better chance to do something this year.

hb screen, wr screen, checkdown, checkdown, wr 5 in, hb swing, hb screen, slant, drag, hb screen. 

I made my peace with having Rivers but that sort of offense is just difficult to watch and seriously doubt will get us anywhere in the long run, It is what it is. 

Love watching Blackmon and Willis in the back tho, makes up for everything else #32 #37

57 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Correct.  Because we all know if a team loses to a good team in the regular season, there is no possible way for them to win in the playoffs.  The Ravens loss pretty much sealed the deal.  Colts might as well throw the rest of the season and shoot for the higher draft pick.

Also, check out Big Ben's stats from the 05 Super bowl.  He had 0.0000% to do with that win.  Christopher Reeve's could've won that super bowl at QB.  And even in 08, although he played well, James Harrison had a game shifting 100 yd INT for a TD that completely changed things.

And for Eli, the defense cause an INT in the Championship game in FG territory that won it.  And that Dline beat up a very high powered Pats offense.  Eli made some good plays too, but if not for the play of the D and a miraculous catch by Tyree, Pats win that.

Point is, Super Bowl wins aren't a QB thing.  It's a team effort.  Just like how Manning had some of his best seasons in 04, 09, and 13, but came away with nothing.  Yet in 2016 he got a ring while tossing 9 TD & 17 INT

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, eaglerockdude said:

As a long time Chargers fan, I never thought that Rivers threw a good long ball because of his throwing motion.  It just doesn't seem to "drop down" so to speak on those type plays where the db cannot touch it.  But that is just a hunch.  The number of times that type of throw is necessary is not that often, and I have seen some good deep throws this year anyway.

As far as arm strength, I think its good enough.  His accuracy and leadership are way more important.  He's definitely better than your backup right?

You guys handled the Titans last nite.  That is impressive by any measure.  I would stop complaining, and enjoy him while you have him, faults and all.  You will miss him when he is gone.

I remember a long time ago, if anyone is old enough to remember...there was a QB called Jeff George...I think the Colts drafted him...number 1?  One of the strongest arms in NFL history.  End of discussion.

If I recall correctly, Ryan Leaf had a pretty strong arm...

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You are correct. All of the reporting agencies say that Rivers is basically done and can't throw the long ball anymore. There are numerous articles about it. 

8 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

He did and fellow named George had an even better one for the Colts. But they both had ten cent heads although George was in the NFL for a decade or more.

And Leaf, 4 years with 4 different NFL teams the last of which (Seahawks) Ryan was on their practice squad - a quick & lengthy fall for the 1998 #2 pick overall who coming out of college after his junior year,  experts argued could be better than Peyton Manning!  

10 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I want the Colts to win so I don’t care who the QB is.  Right now Rivers is winning so I am with you.  I am not the owner or GM I am just a fan so I don’t have to worry about planning for the future so I don’t really get the logic of wanting a guy to stink so your team is bad so you can get someone else who may or may not be the answer when your current guy is winning.  

Is Rivers one of the best QBs in the league anymore?  No but there are only so many Rogers and Mahomes to go around and they don’t grow on trees.  The key is to know what you have at QB which the Colts do with Rivers.  He’s good enough to win with help and that’s what the Colts have built around him with a really good defense and a running game that’s starting to get better.  

Does that mean Rivers is going to lead the Colts to the Super Bowl?  I’d say no but winning Super Bowls is really hard so if that’s the only thing that brings you joy then you are going to be disappointed more often than not.  Even if the Colts did win the Super Bowl I am sure some would still be here saying Rivers has a noodle arm and they win inspite of him just so they can “be right”.  

I will say Rivers is good enough to give the Colts a chance and get them to the playoffs and maybe even win the division which is much better than Jacoby was last year which is why he was brought in.  That means more fun Sundays than not along the way and as fan that’s what I want.  

Maybe we should just try a little harder to be fans and enjoy the team instead of trying to be armchair GMs that over analyze everything and make definitive statements so we can go back and go look at me I was right I am the smartest person in the room.  What I am not saying is that you can’t be critical and call them out when they don’t perform well but it’s getting to the point fans can’t even be happy about a big win without someone trying to tear the team down and discredit that win.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

He did and fellow named George had an even better one for the Colts. But they both had ten cent heads although George was in the NFL for a decade or more.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

And Leaf, 4 years with 4 different NFL teams the last of which (Seahawks) Ryan was on their practice squad - a quick & lengthy fall for the 1998 #2 pick overall who coming out of college after his junior year,  experts argued could be better than Peyton Manning!  

Leaf's problems were his addiction to PERCACETS and Oxys. So his problems were different than Georges problems. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want the Colts to win so I don’t care who the QB is.  Right now Rivers is winning so I am with you.  I am not the owner or GM I am just a fan so I don’t have to worry about planning for the future so I don’t really get the logic of wanting a guy to stink so your team is bad so you can get someone else who may or may not be the answer when your current guy is winning.  

Is Rivers one of the best QBs in the league anymore?  No but there are only so many Rogers and Mahomes to go around and they don’t grow on trees.  The key is to know what you have at QB which the Colts do with Rivers.  He’s good enough to win with help and that’s what the Colts have built around him with a really good defense and a running game that’s starting to get better.  

Does that mean Rivers is going to lead the Colts to the Super Bowl?  I’d say no but winning Super Bowls is really hard so if that’s the only thing that brings you joy then you are going to be disappointed more often than not.  Even if the Colts did win the Super Bowl I am sure some would still be here saying Rivers has a noodle arm and they win inspite of him just so they can “be right”.  

I will say Rivers is good enough to give the Colts a chance and get them to the playoffs and maybe even win the division which is much better than Jacoby was last year which is why he was brought in.  That means more fun Sundays than not along the way and as fan that’s what I want.  

Maybe we should just try a little harder to be fans and enjoy the team instead of trying to be armchair GMs that over analyze everything and make definitive statements so we can go back and go look at me I was right I am the smartest person in the room.  What I am not saying is that you can’t be critical and call them out when they don’t perform well but it’s getting to the point fans can’t even be happy about a big win without someone trying to tear the team down and discredit that win.  

Agree.  People act like if Colts don’t win a super bowl, then signing Rivers was a mistake.   But people don’t realize winning a super bowl is rare, if your team isn’t named the Patriots. 

Brees has been tearing it up since 06 & only has one ring to show. 

Rodgers has been tearing it up since 08 & only has one ring to show. 

Even Elway had 3 super bowl blowouts before his defense and the best RB in the league helped him win back to back. 

Even with elite QB’s it still takes a lot of pieces to be super bowl caliber.  I’ll be happy watching colts make playoffs with a possible win or 2.  It would be really nice to see Rivers get a ring and put all the haters away, but ultimately this team would have to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen. 

• Like 2

I saw a couple of times - once to Burton and once to MAC in this Titans game. I have seen it other times in other games too. Rivers hesitates with his first read even if they are open and by the time he goes to another read or comes back to them, the defender has closed the window. He needs to stop doing that to maximize our offensive efficiency in the passing game.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I saw a couple of times - once to Burton and once to MAC in this Titans game. I have seen it other times in other games too. Rivers hesitates with his first read even if they are open and by the time he goes to another read or comes back to them, the defender has closed the window. He needs to stop doing that to maximize our offensive efficiency in the passing game.

He does that to look for a better option  instead  of taking what the defense  gives him

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Leaf's problems were his addiction to PERCACETS and Oxys. So his problems were different than Georges problems. 

Leaf’s addiction struggles occurred after his brief NFL “career”.  His flameout in the league was a result of immaturity, poor work ethic and ultimately, injuries & refusal to accept a demotion with the Buccaneers. Ryan even admits that his substance abuse postdated his time in the NFL.

45 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

Agree.  People act like if Colts don’t win a super bowl, then signing Rivers was a mistake.   But people don’t realize winning a super bowl is rare, if your team isn’t named the Patriots. 

Brees has been tearing it up since 06 & only has one ring to show. 

Rodgers has been tearing it up since 08 & only has one ring to show. 

Even Elway had 3 super bowl blowouts before his defense and the best RB in the league helped him win back to back. 

Even with elite QB’s it still takes a lot of pieces to be super bowl caliber.  I’ll be happy watching colts make playoffs with a possible win or 2.  It would be really nice to see Rivers get a ring and put all the haters away, but ultimately this team would have to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen. 

Well said!!!

When we signed Rivers, my expectation was that we win the division and host a home playoff game. One step at a time, one game at a time. He has played his best in November and December in the past, let us hope that continues.

Philip Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks in the league and a big reason why is his arm strength.

Although he has a quirky throwing motion, he is able to generate very good velocity and is exceptional at throwing down the field. He is able to make all the throws, whether they are deep in-between the hashes or outside the numbers.

Found this ranking all NFL starting QB arm strength, well above Fitzpatrick, Dalton,Alex Smith to name a few......it's obvious he is going short because of accuracy not strength time to put the noodle arm argument to bed, makes zero sense

• Thanks 1