Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Noodle Arm

AKB

22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is who he’s always been. A mediocre QB who has just enough good games to earn himself a lifetime of free passes. Sometimes you get good Rivers who brings you back from 21 down and wins the game. Sometimes you get bad Rivers who throws 40 times for less than 300 yards and loses the game with just a single score to show for it. There’s no rhyme or reason to when you get either one or why, it’s just a random draw week to week. He had plenty of SD teams he should have done better with than he did, and it all comes back to him just not being the kind of QB who can put you over the top. He’s just a guy who can make people think he can. 

This is Phillip Rivers. This has always been Phillip Rivers. It will always be Phillip Rivers. 

Mediocre? Yeah....no.

He's not Peyton or Brees. He won't be in the conversation for GOAT but the dude was a baller in his prime. It's a bit frustrating with him after the bad game v BMore but lets not sully the guy's past because we're frustrated.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This needs to be changed to noodle legs. That’s the problem with the offense. It’s set up for a mobile QB. Rivers can’t run nor extend plays. He’s lost a little bit of zip. I have no problem with his throws. We really need to get our run game going to solve the problem. God rest his soul, but Howard Mudd screwed us. When we brought him back we seen the drop off with our offensive line. 

21 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

Mediocre QB?  What are you talking about lol?  He's top 10 in Passing yards, Passing TD, QBR, and completion %.  He carried a cruddy Chargers organization for prevented them from being the jags/browns of the last 2 decades.  

Winning is a team effort.  It doesn't always come down to the QB.  If a teams losing and a QB's stats are trash, then yes, but Rivers has had only maybe 3 bad years.  And what do you mean he's had "plenty" of teams he should have done better with?  I've posted this exact thing before, but I'll break it down again:

06 - This was LT's world.  He was getting paid to hand off the ball.  They should have won the super bowl that year but some stupid penalties, a fumbled INT, and missed FG(classic Kaeding) killed that.

07 - He played the AFCCG on a torn ACL against an undefeated Pats team.  His play wasn't great, but once again, torn ACL.

08 - Team was 8-8.  The defense was garbage.  His QB play was only reason they even managed to go 8-8

09 - Great QB play by him.  Made playoffs as #2 seed.  This is the one time I fault him for his play.  He threw a bad, costly INT that lead to a Jets TD.  But even then, the game was lost by 3 - Kaeding missed 3 FG and Cromartie AKA ScareCro, wouldn't tackle Greene which lead to a 55 yd rush TD

10 - Rivers played out of his mind good with Vincent Jackson holding out and throwing to back ups.  Had one of the worst special teams units.  Were allowing multiple kick returns, punt returns, and punt blocks.

11 - 16 - Trash Oline, no run game, and bad defenses(so bad they allowed Ravens to convert a 4th and 29th on a screen pass.  A * 4th and 29, on a screen pass)

17 - Rivers played great.  Ownership decided to cut Lambo and roll with Koo.  Kicking cost us our first 4 games.  Almost made playoffs, but the 0-4 start was too much to overcome

18 - Played at MVP level, but didn't get it due to emergence of Mahomes.  Trash playcalling led to a complete domination against the patriots, who moved the ball with ease against the D the entire game.

19 - Yes, we all know he sucked this year.  Worst Oline in the leage.  Mediocre run game.

So which years could he really have done better and won it all?

Playoff wins and Super Bowl wins are a team effort.  A QB can only do so much.  3 of Manning's best seasons - 04, 09, & 13 ended with playoff losses.  Yet, he was able to get his 2nd ring while throwing 9 TD & 17 INT.  His rings came when the defense was playing really well.

And this isn't just about Rivers.  I put Brees and Rodgers in the same area.  Both those guys got their rings when they finally had a solid D.  They are both 2 of the best QBs to play, yet have only managed to win one.  And it's not due to their play.  

Rivers is far from Mediocre.  Had he been taken by the Giants or Steelers, things would've been different.  Unfortunately he got stuck with a franchise known for doing nothing with future HoF'ers

One of the best posts I've ever seen on here and I don't like Rivers and the Chargers even though I thought we should have signed him this year.  I couldn't figure out how you knew so much about Rivers, then gleaned you are a Chargers fan.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Mediocre? Yeah....no.

He's not Peyton or Brees. He won't be in the conversation for GOAT but the dude was a baller in his prime. It's a bit frustrating with him after the bad game v BMore but lets not sully the guy's past because we're frustrated.

0 Super Bowls. 0 Conference Championships. 0 MVP awards. He’s had a single season leading the following stats: completion percentage, yards, TDs, and passer rating. He won Comeback Player one year, but not because he had a terrible injury he had to rehab and overcome, or some kind of adversity either inside or outside the game that he had to overcome, but instead because he just really, really sucked the season before. He’s thrown a pick for every two scores. But maybe the most damning evidence of all? His career winning percentage is just barely above .500. Currently 133-110. 

Sorry, that’s a hell of a lot closer to mediocre than it is baller. A lot closer. 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

0 Super Bowls. 0 Conference Championships. 0 MVP awards. He’s had a single season leading the following stats: completion percentage, yards, TDs, and passer rating. He won Comeback Player one year, but not because he had a terrible injury he had to rehab and overcome, or some kind of adversity either inside or outside the game that he had to overcome, but instead because he just really, really sucked the season before. He’s thrown a pick for every two scores. But maybe the most damning evidence of all? His career winning percentage is just barely above .500. Currently 133-110. 

Sorry, that’s a hell of a lot closer to mediocre than it is baller. A lot closer. 

If that's the case, most QBs are mediocre including the guy Rivers essentially replaced i.e. Luck. Basically you're saying that if a QB isn't a superstar, he's mediocre. No in-between, no good. Either mediocre or great.

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think it's just mostly cause he throws like a girl.  He always has.  

(Before the PC cops bust into my account, it's just a harmless joke.  I coached softball and know many boys who would love to say he throws like a those girls.)]

If his motion wasn't so unorthodox, I don't think anyone would notice.

I can't even comprehend how bad JB would have looked in the face of that blitz with no running game.  

Yes that was a hell of a play but that doesn't mean he's better than Rivers.  He's not close. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2019

4.37 yards per carry is one heck of a run game. Now pass blocking I’ll give you that. Chargers were 28 in 2019. They had a run game though. 

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

If that's the case, most QBs are mediocre including the guy Rivers essentially replaced i.e. Luck. Basically you're saying that if a QB isn't a superstar, he's mediocre. No in-between, no good. Either mediocre or great.

In the end, yeah. Luck is mediocre. He never got the job done. He just made us think he could. No argument there. 

If the passing game looked the same during the previous 30 years before Rivers career his “balling out” numbers would be pedestrian. He’s benefitted from much more passer friendly rules and offense, and the fact that he’s played enough games to amass gaudy numbers. 

How many times in Rivers career has he been at the helm of a team that everyone went “ok, they are legitimate super bowl contenders”?

I remember once, and that was 30% due to Rivers and 70% due to Tomlinson. And how did that end? One and done. 

This is who Rivers is. He does just enough for people to keep keep thinking he’s something that he actually is not.

33 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

In the end, yeah. Luck is mediocre. He never got the job done. He just made us think he could. No argument there. 

If the passing game looked the same during the previous 30 years before Rivers career his “balling out” numbers would be pedestrian. He’s benefitted from much more passer friendly rules and offense, and the fact that he’s played enough games to amass gaudy numbers. 

How many times in Rivers career has he been at the helm of a team that everyone went “ok, they are legitimate super bowl contenders”?

I remember once, and that was 30% due to Rivers and 70% due to Tomlinson. And how did that end? One and done. 

This is who Rivers is. He does just enough for people to keep keep thinking he’s something that he actually is not.

Is Joe Flacco mediocre? What about Colin Kaepernick? Eli Manning? 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I agree with you. Luck never won anything. He, like Rivers had some gaudy numbers but the fact is he didn't win the big games and he didn't get to a Super Bowl. Just like Rivers. Mediocre is the right term. Not bad but not really good either.

18 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

4.5 YPC idk y they stopped giving it to him 

Yea I liked what I was seeing out of him , like he learned from last week on the goal line when he tired to go thru and under , this time he went over got the TD , yes he fumbled , but he hasn’t put the ball on the ground all year and the ravens is one of the best at taking the ball away. He fumbled on a play he was being aggressive put his pads on a guy and was carrying the pile it’s unfortunate that he fumbled and it lead to a Td but he made a mistake being aggressive it’s not a reason to bench him

27 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

No to all three. Flacco is a Super Bowl winning QB.  Eli has two SB wins but he is compared to Rivers often because he was basically traded for him. Kaepernick gave up his career to make a social statement and it is a real good one. I am sure that he has no regrets. Would he have been a better get than Rivers. You damn betcha he would have been.

2 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I agree with you. Luck never won anything. He, like Rivers had some gaudy numbers but the fact is he didn't win the big games and he didn't get to a Super Bowl. Just like Rivers. Mediocre is the right term. Not bad but not really good either.

I am young enough to remember when people said the same thing about Peyton. Didn't win big games, only performed well in the regular season, didnt get to super bowls, was a product of superior offensive talent, etc etc

Just now, Colt.45 said:

I am young enough to remember when people said the same thing about Peyton. Didn't win big games, only performed well in the regular season, didnt get to super bowls, was a product of superior offensive talent, etc etc

They didn't say that for long did they? Four Super Bowls with two different teams and four different coaches and two wins. But we aren't talking you QBs here. We are talking about a washed up Rivers. Luck gave up. That is different.

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

They didn't say that for long did they? Four Super Bowls with two different teams and four different coaches and two wins. But we aren't talking you QBs here. We are talking about a washed up Rivers. Luck gave up. That is different.

Folks were saying that about Manning pretty much until 06.

4 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

No to all three. Flacco is a Super Bowl winning QB.  Eli has two SB wins but he is compared to Rivers often because he was basically traded for him. Kaepernick gave up his career to make a social statement and it is a real good one. I am sure that he has no regrets. Would he have been a better get than Rivers. You damn betcha he would have been.

I can’t just throw in the towel on Rivers. I was down because he isn’t earning that 25 million. He has the same set of circumstances that JB had lasts season minus the knee injury. Our pass offense goes out when TY is out. We’re hurt at WR, but that’s still no excuse. Guys have to step up. I mentioned this early and God rest the guys soul. Our offensive line took a step back the day we brought Howard Mudd back. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Manning passes. Only just. He’s got a pair of rings with SB MVPs. Flacco, no. He’s the same kind of guy as Rivers, he just happened to get lucky enough to win one. Kaep is in the same boat as Luck. You don’t become an all time great with a short career. 

3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Do you honestly believe Kaepernick gave up a career to make a social statement? 

May I suggest you do a little more fact finding.

I'm still wondering why we threw it so many times. And those who are saying Rivers is better than Brissett, I just don't see it. Not at this point in their career. Jacoby has the better arm, Rivers has the better... well I was gonna say eye, but I don't remember Jacoby being 10tds to 7. If I remember correctly, he was throwing almost no INTs and was actually at a historic low rate. @Nickster

I just don't see how we can say Phillip has been better than Jacoby. 

jacoby wouldn't be doing us any favors this year with the run game being out of sync

everytime they try to sneak him in a game for a cute play they mess up a drive or end up with a penalty because it kills the momentum... 

he isn't even ready to come in so he's not ready or prepared

leave him on the bench until he HAS to come into the game 

head coach needs to stop babying him 

The problem I have with the mindset of “he is who he is” (especially after a loss), is there is an assumption that bad play  can’t 

be corrected. 
     It reminds me of 2006, when Jacksonville ran for 375 yards (I was at that game). The narrative that year was; “the Colts can’t stop the run, they’re going no where in the playoffs !We need to go out and get somebody”! 
     Dungy just responded by saying; “ we have the right guys, we just need to be a little sharper”. 
    My point is, we’ve seen Rivers play well. He had a bad game. He just needs to be a little “sharper”.

@John Waylon, There are categories for QBs. = Bad, Below Average, Average/mediocre, Above Average, Good, Very Good, Great. Rivers is has been good if not very good his whole career for the most part, Luck was too. To say they were mediocre makes you look silly in most peoples eyes. No disrespect but come on man! If we win Thursday and Rivers plays great what will you say?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@John Waylon, There are categories for QBs. = Bad, Below Average, Average/mediocre, Above Average, Good, Very Good, Great. Rivers is has been good if not very good his whole career for the most part, Luck was too. To say they were mediocre makes you look silly in most peoples eyes. No disrespect but come on man! If we win Thursday and Rivers plays great what will you say?

The same things I’ve said about him from the start. Maybe we flip the coin and get good Rivers tomorrow night. Maybe we don’t. Regardless of what we get he’s still not the guy who can win in spite of our deficiencies whenever we need him to be. Rivers is the perfect guy to keep us stuck in the middle. Maybe sometimes we wind up a little better than being in the middle. Gonna be just as many times that we wind up a little worse than being in the middle. 

Rivers entire career has been a vicious cycle like this. He’s never been the QB capable of making a roster better than it is, but he’s good enough often enough that people are willing to stay in that holding pattern with him. 

No thanks. I’m gonna pass on that. 

11 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I just don't see how we can say Phillip has been better than Jacoby. 

phil moves the offense better but also makes more mistakes.  depends what you like i guess

jacoby needed the running game to be good or the offense went almost no where 

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

One of the best posts I've ever seen on here and I don't like Rivers and the Chargers even though I thought we should have signed him this year.  I couldn't figure out how you knew so much about Rivers, then gleaned you are a Chargers fan.

*was a Chargers fan

They are dead to me now, and every week when they lose a close 1 score game while Herbert plays out of his mind good, brings joy to my heart.  Because it just shows Rivers wasn’t the problem there.  

3 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

*was a Chargers fan

They are dead to me now, and every week when they lose a close 1 score game while Herbert plays out of his mind good, brings joy to my heart.  Because it just shows Rivers wasn’t the problem there.  

Man I really think Herbert is going to be one of the all time greats.  

I am guessing that Rivers used to be money on blitzes like Manning, Brady, Rogers, Brees.  Wasn't he?  I am confident that our rookies and practice squad players were having trouble reading their routes right in the blitz zones.

Has Rivers always looked so bad on the move or is it age?

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you honestly believe Kaepernick gave up a career to make a social statement? 

May I suggest you do a little more fact finding.

That is exactly what he did. He kneeled in protest and they black balled him from the NFL. They have already paid a collusion settlement to him and they may have to pay another.

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

That is exactly what he did. He kneeled in protest and they black balled him from the NFL. They have already paid a collusion settlement to him and they may have to pay another.

He kneeled because he was benched for his lousy play. 

Only after a reporter put the bug in his ear did any of this kneeling for a protest surface. 

Just look at the timeline. 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Man I really think Herbert is going to be one of the all time greats.  

I am guessing that Rivers used to be money on blitzes like Manning, Brady, Rogers, Brees.  Wasn't he?  I am confident that our rookies and practice squad players were having trouble reading their routes right in the blitz zones.

Has Rivers always looked so bad on the move or is it age?

There are a lot of great things about Rivers, but running isn’t one of them, lol.  I’ve watched every game since he’s started and I think I’ve seen him complete maybe 3 passes on the run.  I wish I was joking....

On 11/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, SpanosSucks said:

There are a lot of great things about Rivers, but running isn’t one of them, lol.  I’ve watched every game since he’s started and I think I’ve seen him complete maybe 3 passes on the run.  I wish I was joking....

Ole Noodle Arm looked pretty good tonight Spanos.

Archived