Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Noodle Arm

AKB

Not joking, and with all due respect to Rivers... but I got non football people watching the Colts and they can even see he can't throw the ball anymore. At what point do we keep letting Rivers be a detriment? Also, this isn't even just about this last game. I'm not saying Rivers can't put together an average game, but let's be real here... Who really thinks he has the arm to go point for point with even the lower level of Elite QBs? 

Also, an important thing to talk about: At what point do the colts players feel divided about Rivers coming in and really not doing much better than Brissett? I mean here we are again 5-3, and 25 million dollars less. What has the difference been between Rivers and Brissett? 

Who remembers that play where the Broncos had Brissett in the grass for a safety, he rolls to the right and throws a dart to Ty on the sidelione. Now, I am not saying he was an MVP, but before Huge man 56 stomped on his knee, we were 5-2 with quality wins. "When you have two QBs, you have none". 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Not joking, and with all due respect to Rivers... but I got non football people watching the Colts and they can even see he can't throw the ball anymore. At what point do we keep letting Rivers be a detriment? Also, this isn't even just about this last game. I'm not saying Rivers can't put together an average game, but let's be real here... Who really thinks he has the arm to go point for point with even the lower level of Elite QBs? 

Also, an important thing to talk about: At what point do the colts players feel divided about Rivers coming in and really not doing much better than Brissett? I mean here we are again 5-3, and 25 million dollars less. What has the difference been between Rivers and Brissett? 

Who remembers that play where the Broncos had Brissett in the grass for a safety, he rolls to the right and throws a dart to Ty on the sidelione. Now, I am not saying he was an MVP, but before Huge man 56 stomped on his knee, we were 5-2 with quality wins. "When you have two QBs, you have none". 

Other than the INT which he underthrew to Johnson, I thought he had a lot of zip on many of his passes yesterday.  I don't think we'd be any better off with Jacoby at this point and highly doubt the fact that Rivers is starting over Jacoby is doing anything to divide the locker room.

The zip was there, the accuracy wasn't. He reminded me of Peyton in that playoff game v the Colts. (2017 maybe?)

That was a game where Pagano's defense forced Peyton to throw deep and #18 simply had little accuracy even when his guys got open.

Lets not talk of Brissett though. People talk like he's Teddy Bridgewater, he isnt.

His arm strength isn’t a problem, imo. He has an ugly release though.

I think Rivers has added to our team even if it doesn’t show up in the W column. The defense, including Leonard, has stated he makes them better and forces them to play smarter. I don’t think there is any division.

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Being inaccurate vs under throwing are two different things. Let's get that straight.

We had one deep pass. And when he does throw deep its a commercial worth of time for him to wind it up. He ain't throwing the ball well at all. Accuracy and strength is gone. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

You must have watched a different game than everyone else.

No we watched the same game. He three the ball 43 times, and didn't break 300 yards.

I don't know how much more obvious that can be. 10 Td to 7 Int. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

Rivers arm is fine. It’s doing the same things it’s always done. 

A bunch of you weren’t real sure who he was before he got here and I find that quite difficult to understand. 

He isn't the same? He is 37 and is coming off a bad year, and is in the middle of another bad year. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

No we watched the same game. He three the ball 43 times, and didn't break 300 yards.

I don't know how much more obvious that can be. 10 Td to 7 Int. 

He isn't the same? He is 37 and is coming off a bad year, and is in the middle of another bad year. 

Actually, he only had 227 yards, not even 250. Throwing the ball 43 times.....

High expectations? 

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

This is who he’s always been. A mediocre QB who has just enough good games to earn himself a lifetime of free passes. Sometimes you get good Rivers who brings you back from 21 down and wins the game. Sometimes you get bad Rivers who throws 40 times for less than 300 yards and loses the game with just a single score to show for it. There’s no rhyme or reason to when you get either one or why, it’s just a random draw week to week. He had plenty of SD teams he should have done better with than he did, and it all comes back to him just not being the kind of QB who can put you over the top. He’s just a guy who can make people think he can. 

This is Phillip Rivers. This has always been Phillip Rivers. It will always be Phillip Rivers. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Rivers trying to throw yesterday was perhaps the worst I have ever seen an NFL qb throw as far as spin and velocity.

It was just brutal.  And I am a Rivers fan.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

With our lack of a run game we would be looking at a draft pick good enough to get a qb with Brissett . That play you mentioned was pretty amazing but was a extreme outlier when talking about Brissett .

25 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This is who he’s always been. A mediocre QB who has just enough good games to earn himself a lifetime of free passes. Sometimes you get good Rivers who brings you back from 21 down and wins the game. Sometimes you get bad Rivers who throws 40 times for less than 300 yards and loses the game with just a single score to show for it. There’s no rhyme or reason to when you get either one or why, it’s just a random draw week to week. He had plenty of SD teams he should have done better with than he did, and it all comes back to him just not being the kind of QB who can put you over the top. He’s just a guy who can make people think he can. 

This is Phillip Rivers. This has always been Phillip Rivers. It will always be Phillip Rivers. 

Mediocre QB?  What are you talking about lol?  He's top 10 in Passing yards, Passing TD, QBR, and completion %.  He carried a cruddy Chargers organization for prevented them from being the jags/browns of the last 2 decades.  

Winning is a team effort.  It doesn't always come down to the QB.  If a teams losing and a QB's stats are trash, then yes, but Rivers has had only maybe 3 bad years.  And what do you mean he's had "plenty" of teams he should have done better with?  I've posted this exact thing before, but I'll break it down again:

06 - This was LT's world.  He was getting paid to hand off the ball.  They should have won the super bowl that year but some stupid penalties, a fumbled INT, and missed FG(classic Kaeding) killed that.

07 - He played the AFCCG on a torn ACL against an undefeated Pats team.  His play wasn't great, but once again, torn ACL.

08 - Team was 8-8.  The defense was garbage.  His QB play was only reason they even managed to go 8-8

09 - Great QB play by him.  Made playoffs as #2 seed.  This is the one time I fault him for his play.  He threw a bad, costly INT that lead to a Jets TD.  But even then, the game was lost by 3 - Kaeding missed 3 FG and Cromartie AKA ScareCro, wouldn't tackle Greene which lead to a 55 yd rush TD

10 - Rivers played out of his mind good with Vincent Jackson holding out and throwing to back ups.  Had one of the worst special teams units.  Were allowing multiple kick returns, punt returns, and punt blocks.

11 - 16 - Trash Oline, no run game, and bad defenses(so bad they allowed Ravens to convert a 4th and 29th on a screen pass.  A * 4th and 29, on a screen pass)

17 - Rivers played great.  Ownership decided to cut Lambo and roll with Koo.  Kicking cost us our first 4 games.  Almost made playoffs, but the 0-4 start was too much to overcome

18 - Played at MVP level, but didn't get it due to emergence of Mahomes.  Trash playcalling led to a complete domination against the patriots, who moved the ball with ease against the D the entire game.

19 - Yes, we all know he sucked this year.  Worst Oline in the leage.  Mediocre run game.

So which years could he really have done better and won it all?

Playoff wins and Super Bowl wins are a team effort.  A QB can only do so much.  3 of Manning's best seasons - 04, 09, & 13 ended with playoff losses.  Yet, he was able to get his 2nd ring while throwing 9 TD & 17 INT.  His rings came when the defense was playing really well.

And this isn't just about Rivers.  I put Brees and Rodgers in the same area.  Both those guys got their rings when they finally had a solid D.  They are both 2 of the best QBs to play, yet have only managed to win one.  And it's not due to their play.  

Rivers is far from Mediocre.  Had he been taken by the Giants or Steelers, things would've been different.  Unfortunately he got stuck with a franchise known for doing nothing with future HoF'ers

6 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

Mediocre QB?  What are you talking about lol?  He's top 10 in Passing yards, Passing TD, QBR, and completion %.  He carried a cruddy Chargers organization for prevented them from being the jags/browns of the last 2 decades.  

Winning is a team effort.  It doesn't always come down to the QB.  If a teams losing and a QB's stats are trash, then yes, but Rivers has had only maybe 3 bad years.  And what do you mean he's had "plenty" of teams he should have done better with?  I've posted this exact thing before, but I'll break it down again:

06 - This was LT's world.  He was getting paid to hand off the ball.  They should have won the super bowl that year but some stupid penalties, a fumbled INT, and missed FG(classic Kaeding) killed that.

07 - He played the AFCCG on a torn ACL against an undefeated Pats team.  His play wasn't great, but once again, torn ACL.

08 - Team was 8-8.  The defense was garbage.  His QB play was only reason they even managed to go 8-8

09 - Great QB play by him.  Made playoffs as #2 seed.  This is the one time I fault him for his play.  He threw a bad, costly INT that lead to a Jets TD.  But even then, the game was lost by 3 - Kaeding missed 3 FG and Cromartie AKA ScareCro, wouldn't tackle Greene which lead to a 55 yd rush TD

10 - Rivers played out of his mind good with Vincent Jackson holding out and throwing to back ups.  Had one of the worst special teams units.  Were allowing multiple kick returns, punt returns, and punt blocks.

11 - 16 - Trash Oline, no run game, and bad defenses(so bad they allowed Ravens to convert a 4th and 29th on a screen pass.  A * 4th and 29, on a screen pass)

17 - Rivers played great.  Ownership decided to cut Lambo and roll with Koo.  Kicking cost us our first 4 games.  Almost made playoffs, but the 0-4 start was too much to overcome

18 - Played at MVP level, but didn't get it due to emergence of Mahomes.  Trash playcalling led to a complete domination against the patriots, who moved the ball with ease against the D the entire game.

19 - Yes, we all know he sucked this year.  Worst Oline in the leage.  Mediocre run game.

Playoff wins and Super Bowl wins are a team effort.  A QB can only do so much.  3 of Manning's best seasons - 04, 09, & 13 ended with playoff losses.  Yet, he was able to get his 2nd ring while throwing 9 TD & 17 INT.  His rings came when the defense was playing really well.

And this isn't just about Rivers.  I put Brees and Rodgers in the same area.  Both those guys got their rings when they finally had a solid D.  They are both 2 of the best QBs to play, yet have only managed to win one.  And it's not due to their play.  

Rivers is far from Mediocre.  Had he been taken by the Giants or Steelers, things would've been different.  Unfortunately he got stuck with a franchise known for doing nothing with future HoF'ers

Other than never winning a afc championship his numbers are hall of fame caliber .his durability   Is amazing as well .

11 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

I said what I said. Apologize for him and make excuses for him all you want. Just because he’s in the “top 10” with greats like Brady, Brees, and Manning doesn’t mean he’s even in their realm. And he’s not. He’s top 10 because of how prolific the passing game has become during his career and because he’s been durable enough and got an early enough start that he’s been able to benefit from that to get there more than anything else. 

Here's my question. Why is Rivers who clearly ain't the player he once was throwing the ball 42 times in a game. This is all on Reich. Play calling is bad. I'll say it just once. Run the damn ball. If you can't run the ball in December and January your toast. Plain and simple.

9 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Here's my question. Why is Rivers who clearly ain't the player he once was throwing the ball 42 times in a game. This is all on Reich. Play calling is bad. I'll say it just once. Run the damn ball. If you can't run the ball in December and January your toast. Plain and simple.

Problem is our run game not very good for whatever reason at Least statistically.

17 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

We had one deep pass. And when he does throw deep its a commercial worth of time for him to wind it up. He ain't throwing the ball well at all. Accuracy and strength is gone. 

We had several deep pass attempts.  It was very clear Rivers and his WRs were not on the same page yesterday.  Johnson had a step on 2 DBs in the middle of the field on one pass and Rivers put plenty of arm under it, Johnson broke to his right and the ball went to his left.  Rivers looked at Johnson after the play like he was expecting him to turn left.  There was nothing wrong with Rivers' arm strength on that play, it was miscommunication and the way Rivers' body language read was like Johnson didn't run to where he was supposed.  He had another fairly deep ball where he and Pittman weren't on the same page.

His arm strength is fine.  Yes, he's better if he can set his feet and throw it, but there's really not much wrong with his arm.  Him being on the same page with the WRs is another issue.  Mind you, our top 2 WRs yesterday (in terms of targets) were Pittman (who had missed almost half the season prior to yesterday and is a rookie) and Johnson (who was on the PS to start the year and bounced back and forth from the PS a few times since - to me, it is pretty clear that without TY and when teams are not surprised by Johnson, he's easier to game plan for).  He went 2-7 to Johnson and 4-7 to Pittman.  One throw to Johnson was behind him on a crossing route, one was underthrown (the INT), one was overthrown or thrown to the wrong spot (where Rivers looked at Johnson like Johnson ran the wrong route), and I don't remember the rest but they weren't on Rivers' arm.  At least one incompletion to Pittman looked like a miscommunication.  Pascal was targeted 6 times and had 5 catches (Rivers and Pascal have been working together in games for longer than Rivers has with Pittman or Johnson).  

Yesterday Rivers played far better than Tom Brady did last night.  People are questioning if Brady is done on the Bucs' boards.  The answer is, "No, he's not."  The Colts got outcoached in the 2nd half and Rivers certainly didn't have his best game, but he's still better than Brissett and if we win Thursday night we're in control of the AFC South.  Yes, his throwing motion is whacky, but it always has been and it really hasn't changed much since he's been in the league.

He threw for under 300 yards and over 40 passes, sure.  He connected on <30 of those passes.  It was the highest incompletion percent rate of the season for Rivers.  Had he connected on the deep ball down the middle to Johnson when it looked like miscommunication, he's over 250, another 3-4 passes after that and he's over 300.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

First off, Cody Jinks is a great artist - nice avatar.  

Rivers has been more than a mediocre QB throughout his career.  The numbers don't lie about this.  Yesterday, he stunk and do did our receivers and some of the game calling.  It's not time to throw in the towel quite yet.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

If frank had rivers on the same lease he had Taylor on rivers would be in trouble 

3 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

Good post! I want to expand on the 2008 season for Philip & the Chargers, because although they were 8-8, it was a pretty remarkable season, all things considered. They start 0-2, Week 2 was especially frustrating when they get screwed by Ed Hochuli in the infamous “ Mile High Highjacking”. They trade wins & losses and after 12 games, they were 4-8. They needed to run the table just to finish at .500, and that’s what they did, beating the Raiders at home, both the Chiefs & Buccaneers on the road, setting up a “winner take all” rematch with Denver in Week 17, with the AFC West title as the prize. Philip only threw 2 TD passes in this game, but the Bolts dropped a “half-century” on the Broncos, the final score was 52-21 and it was all offensive, not a defensive or special teams point scored at all.

The following week, in what many consider to be a huge injustice, the 8-8 Chargers, as the AFC’s #4 seed hosted the AFC’s 5th seed, the 12-4 Colts, winning in overtime on a 22 yard touchdown run by Darren Sproles.

The following week, the Chargers lost in Pittsburgh to the eventual Superbowl Champion Steelers. Rivers threw 3 touchdown passes in the game and 1 interception, on a deflected pass.

For the season though, Philip led the NFL in touchdown passes with 34, passer rating at 105.5, & yards per attempt at 8.4 and actually finished 9-9, if you include the 2 playoff games.

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Good post! I want to expand on the 2008 season for Philip & the Chargers, because although they were 8-8, it was a pretty remarkable season, all things considered. They start 0-2, Week 2 was especially frustrating when they get screwed by Ed Hochuli in the infamous “ Mile High Highjacking”. They trade wins & losses and after 12 games, they were 4-8. They needed to run the table just to finish at .500, and that’s what they did, beating the Raiders at home, both the Chiefs & Buccaneers on the road, setting up a “winner take all” rematch with Denver in Week 17, with the AFC West title as the prize. Philip only threw 2 TD passes in this game, but the Bolts dropped a “half-century” on the Broncos, the final score was 52-21 and it was all offensive, not a defensive or special teams point scored at all.

The following week, in what many consider to be a huge injustice, the 8-8 Chargers, as the AFC’s #4 seed hosted the AFC’s 5th seed, the 12-4 Colts, winning in overtime on a 22 yard touchdown run by Darren Sproles.

The following week, the Chargers lost in Pittsburgh to the eventual Superbowl Champion Steelers. Rivers threw 3 touchdown passes in the game and 1 interception, on a deflected pass.

For the season though, Philip led the NFL in touchdown passes with 34, passer rating at 105.5, & yards per attempt at 8.4 and actually finished 9-9, if you include the 2 playoff games.

It’s funny, because for years we’ve heard “Rivers has never been good enough”

Yet, here we are in 2020.  Herbert is playing insanely good on a stacked team, and has won 1 game.  That franchise is a curse for talented players.  I feel bad for Herbert, but I do hope Chargers continue the trend of never being good enough. 

I don't know why he was allowed to throw the ball that many times. It's baffling. Also, the fact that they brought in Brissett for that Hail Mary before the embarassing delay of game further supports the Noodle Arm Theory. 

I won't go as far as noodle arm, but let's face it...at no point in his career has Rivers had a top 10 rifle on his right shoulder...He's certainly our best chance to win, and he still fires it up the seam pretty good, but I'll admit I cringe and almost cover my eyes when he throws outside the numbers...Lofting the ball 40 yards down field on a quick stop and go, maybe, but a 12 yard out route scares the hell out of me

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If rivers arm was good, reich wouldn't be calling so many short hitch and flare passes. He needs perfect setup and footwork to throw ball adequately which is not so easy  since he's so immobile and slow to get in position for proper mechanics. 

You sound crazy lol it’s like all of you forget we had PEYTON MANNING he was slower than rivers..him being immobile isn’t an excuse now him stepping into his throw would be nice but if he can’t I’d rather him not force the ball is decision making is lacking for sure 

Decision making since 2019 has been very spotty for Rivers. It was blamed on OL issues but looks like Rivers' decision making, the bad kind, is bleeding over to 2020. Every once in a while he will throw it up to his WRs hoping they go up and get it.

He has to realize he is not playing with Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Antonio Gates, Keenan Allen, or Mike Williams who would go up and get it for him, just has to focus hitting everyone in the numbers or in stride. When he has been doing that lately, throwing it up more often than not, the throw gets intercepted. Yes, arm strength is a part of it getting intercepted but that same arm strength when surrounded by better decision making should send the throws elsewhere thus not costing us.

16 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He only has zip when he has time to step into his throws.

Yep, his arm is plenty good enough when he has clean pocket. The problem is his mobility has deteriorated a ton and this affects his throwing any time there is pressure that is not easily avoidable. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, his arm is plenty good enough when he has clean pocket. The problem is his mobility has deteriorated a ton and this affects his throwing any time there is pressure that is not easily avoidable. 

Did you see Cam and his faulty footwork and mechanics under pressure yesterday? His saving grace is he is young enough to take the hits but sooner than later, his body cannot take it and things will go south in a hurry.

I guess for me Rivers is exactly what I thought he would be.  I was hoping, like most of us, that with our o-line and a fresh start for Rivers he might be better.  If the receivers were a little more experienced, if we hadn't lost Mack, if there had been a real off season.  Lots of ifs.

The bottom line is we have the same Rivers that he has always been, just an older version.

The OP is exactly right. I said most of this before the year and I’ve been proven right, there are still a few holdouts who refuse to admit Rivers is diminished but that’s fine. Talk all you want about his career numbers, but if you watched MNF last night you would have saw something that made you realize how much of a farce passing numbers for the last 15 years are. Joe Flacco has more career yardage than Joe Montana. Anyone who spent their prime in the NFL from 2005 on, their numbers are increasingly exaggerated due to moronic rule changes that have cheapened the quality of the game. That is an argument for another time though.

Archived