Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we not want to have a good quarterback?

chrisbeldridge

I wouldn't rule out any team right now that has a good line, a good defense, and a chance at the playoffs.  Colts are one of those teams.

This next game is going to be a fun one to watch, just to see what they're made of.  And one thing that I felt sure about prior to the season and still do is that Taylor is the key to this season.  He's got the ability to give the offense explosive play potential from the backfield and draw LBs on play action and make life easier on the vet QB who is making do with his weapons.

I think people are too impatient.  I think this roster was a dung heap when Ballard took the helm, save Andrew Luck.  And that guy retired.  I think Ballard has done a reasonably good job of building up the defense.  He has also done a good job of building up both sides of the lines, something he said was his first priority.  Check and check.  But you absolutely CANNOT do everything at once.  Even then, it will be fleeting because cheap contracts now become expensive ones tomorrow and you are going to have to let good players go and try to replace THEM.  It's a constant battle.  The key is to draft starters who will not only contribute and play well but be cheap for a few years.  If your drafts consistently stink, so will your team.  The ONLY reason the Colts are even competitive right now is because they have gotten a lot out of their recent draft picks.  Would we like to see more from picks such as Campbell and Turay?  Sure.  But injuries are going to happen.  They happen to every team.  It's something you have to deal with.  You try to build a core of good, young players and build around those guys.  I think this team is doing it.  But they got thrown a monkey wrench when Luck retired.  The QB is the centerpiece and he's now gone, by HIS choice.  And those guys aren't exactly growing on trees.  It's tough to find a replacement of THAT caliber and this cannot be overstated enough.  It hurt the team BADLY.  I'm sure if the Colts thought they could they would have brought that guy in by now.  So either they haven't seen THAT guy yet or they just aren't sure about THAT guy.  What I think Ballard is gonna do, or should do, in the offseason is bring in another draft pick, let Rivers and Jacoby walk, and let Eason and the rook fight it out for the starting job.  The hope is that at least one of those guys shows well and can take this team to the next level and still give the team cap flexibility to address other areas such as WR and LT.  But there are no guarantees certainly.  Playing GM is not that easy even if most people seem to think it is.  But the Colts are at an advantage in the offseason (again).  They have one of the top cap spaces available and will be able to retain any of their own FA's they want and probably be able to add a couple more if they so desire.  THAT is an enviable position for most other teams.

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I think people are too impatient.  I think this roster was a dung heap when Ballard took the helm, save Andrew Luck.  And that guy retired.  I think Ballard has done a reasonably good job of building up the defense.  He has also done a good job of building up both sides of the lines, something he said was his first priority.  Check and check.  But you absolutely CANNOT do everything at once.  Even then, it will be fleeting because cheap contracts now become expensive ones tomorrow and you are going to have to let good players go and try to replace THEM.  It's a constant battle.  The key is to draft starters who will not only contribute and play well but be cheap for a few years.  If your drafts consistently stink, so will your team.  The ONLY reason the Colts are even competitive right now is because they have gotten a lot out of their recent draft picks.  Would we like to see more from picks such as Campbell and Turay?  Sure.  But injuries are going to happen.  They happen to every team.  It's something you have to deal with.  You try to build a core of good, young players and build around those guys.  I think this team is doing it.  But they got thrown a monkey wrench when Luck retired.  The QB is the centerpiece and he's now gone, by HIS choice.  And those guys aren't exactly growing on trees.  It's tough to find a replacement of THAT caliber and this cannot be overstated enough.  It hurt the team BADLY.  I'm sure if the Colts thought they could they would have brought that guy in by now.  So either they haven't seen THAT guy yet or they just aren't sure about THAT guy.  What I think Ballard is gonna do, or should do, in the offseason is bring in another draft pick, let Rivers and Jacoby walk, and let Eason and the rook fight it out for the starting job.  The hope is that at least one of those guys shows well and can take this team to the next level and still give the team cap flexibility to address other areas such as WR and LT.  But there are no guarantees certainly.  Playing GM is not that easy even if most people seem to think it is.  But the Colts are at an advantage in the offseason (again).  They have one of the top cap spaces available and will be able to retain any of their own FA's they want and probably be able to add a couple more if they so desire.  THAT is an enviable position for most other teams.

Quit making sense. It confuses some.  haha

Rivers is so far good for us.  But he isn’t young so yes we need a Franchise QB.  No NFL team will trade away a Franchise QB.  So unless we give up a ton of picks and whatever else is needed to get a top 5 pick for next year draft or we get lucky and land a franchise QB in the 2nd  round.  

Look I was all for Rivers , I even bought a jersey, but it’s not working. Taylor needed Mack but because of injury, we are again playing catch up. Rivers slings short passes and can’t throw long. Jacobi is gone end of year, so let’s turn Eason and Kelly loose and have Rivers mentor and be backup. What if Eason turns out like Herbert? If not we draft a first round QB. All Rivers will get us is to playoffs and maybe one victory. It’s time to be realistic. Years ago we inserted Manning half way thru the season. He threw 6 picks against NE but he turned out ok. Let’s see what Eason has or doesn’t.

17 hours ago, Memphisblues said:

Look I was all for Rivers , I even bought a jersey, but it’s not working. Taylor needed Mack but because of injury, we are again playing catch up. Rivers slings short passes and can’t throw long. Jacobi is gone end of year, so let’s turn Eason and Kelly loose and have Rivers mentor and be backup. What if Eason turns out like Herbert? If not we draft a first round QB. All Rivers will get us is to playoffs and maybe one victory. It’s time to be realistic. Years ago we inserted Manning half way thru the season. He threw 6 picks against NE but he turned out ok. Let’s see what Eason has or doesn’t.

Manning - started all 16 games his rookie season.

Kelly - we did turn him loose, literally...from the practice squad several weeks ago.

Eason - I'd also like to see him get some time at some point this season.

23 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Your right but your missing the point , the team like you said is not ready yet to compete for super bowls .  So why bring in a veteran QB who is in a win now mode?  that has been my only point , i wanted them to play the young guys and let them develop . By bringing in rivers the colts have a lower draft pick next year for no reason . You already said the colts are not ready so why go all in on a old QB instead of playing the young guy .  The worst thing to happen is eason bombs out and the colts pick high which is good overall for the franchise .  

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Your right but your missing the point , the team like you said is not ready yet to compete for super bowls .  So why bring in a veteran QB who is in a win now mode?  that has been my only point , i wanted them to play the young guys and let them develop . By bringing in rivers the colts have a lower draft pick next year for no reason . You already said the colts are not ready so why go all in on a old QB instead of playing the young guy .  The worst thing to happen is eason bombs out and the colts pick high which is good overall for the franchise .  

Because unlike us a GM and a Coach need to win football games to keep their jobs.

Also I don't get this "the team is not ready to compete for Super Bowls" sentiment.  I think they are, assuming good health.  Sometimes it seems to me that the only thing that would make fans happy is a team of rare dominance, like the old Steelers, Cowboys, etc.  But today's league is messy and teams are full of flaws and there is more parity than there used to be.

And not to sound like a jerk but I'm an older fan so I've figured out that stopping to smell the roses is the best part of being a fan.

• Nadine locked this topic

Archived