Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasonable Eason Question

So, I have a reasonable Eason take/question.  Is it time to have Eason move up to the backup and have him active on gameday?  We are halfway through the season and you know what you have in Brissett.  You have to see what you have in Eason, at least in regards to practice reps and maybe some mop up duty.  I'm not saying bench Rivers and start Eason.  I am saying have Eason active on gameday and have him be the backup, so he can start getting more snaps on practice and in game prep.  

On a side note, I can't be the only one on the forum that would have loved to see Eason come in at the end of the half and attempt that Hail Mary instead of JB. :applause::applause::applause:

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

On a side note, I can't be the only one on the forum that would have loved to see Eason come in at the end of the half and attempt that Hail Mary instead of JB. :applause::applause::applause:

To the portion in bold:

I don't think it would have mattered. The Ravens knew the play as soon as we substituted the QB and they blitzed immediately. There was no chance that they were going to allow a pass to get off. At least not a deep, Hail Mary type of pass.

• Like 3
Just now, Flash7 said:

To the portion in bold:

I don't think it would have mattered. The Ravens knew the play as soon as we substituted the QB and they blitzed immediately. There was no chance that they were going to allow a pass to get off. At least not a deep, Hail Mary type of pass.

I agree, but not really my point.  As purely a fan, you can't say you wouldn't have loved to see Eason just let it rip, one time, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Please stop trying to justify overpaying JB and leave him on the bench.

It is well documented that I supported JB.  I still think we should have just rolled with him this year and had Eason as the backup.  But that doesn't matter now.  The only thing I think about is that having him as the backup his slowing Eason's development a little.  

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, I have a reasonable Eason take/question.  Is it time to have Eason move up to the backup and have him active on gameday?  We are halfway through the season and you know what you have in Brissett.  You have to see what you have in Eason, at least in regards to practice reps and maybe some mop up duty.  I'm not saying bench Rivers and start Eason.  I am saying have Eason active on gameday and have him be the backup, so he can start getting more snaps on practice and in game prep.  

it is true i would like to see Eason weather it be later this year or next year but no id rather him not play under franks play calling

I think with a loss Thursday , the Colts should start figuring out a way to evaluate Eason. If we are 5-4 with all those losses in the AFC , IMO , it's time to put an effort in getting Eason practice reps and some playing time. The odds heavily will favor that being more beneficial than the possibility this ends up "hurting" a run deep into the playoffs. If Eason looks to be the starting QB starting next year , the 25 mill can extend Grover etc.

• Like 3

I think it would be wise to promote Eason over Brissett.  Brissett is gone after this year and we will likely get nothing out of him this year.  It would make more sense to have Eason as the backup and get him a rep here or there.  I know many say Eason isn't ready, but it is hard for me to think any QB could be worse than Brissett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, dw49 said:

I think with a loss Thursday , the Colts should start figuring out a way to evaluate Eason. If we are 5-4 with all those losses in the AFC , IMO , it's time to put an effort in getting Eason practice reps and some playing time. The odds heavily will favor that being more beneficial than the possibility this ends up "hurting" a run deep into the playoffs. If Eason looks to be the starting QB starting next year , the 25 mill can extend Grover 

Agree, but I think it'll depend on how we look after the 2nd titans game, not Thursday's.  This staff is frustratingly loyal (or stubborn) at times so I doubt we will see him this year.

Hopefully they are at least getting, or will get, him some behind the scenes reps.

Either way though I'm doubtful Rivers is back next year.  We'll either get another re-tread (my money is on Stafford) or throw some kid into the fire.  No evidence mind you, just my thinking at this point and time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think it would be wise to promote Eason over Brissett.  Brissett is gone after this year and we will likely get nothing out of him this year.  It would make more sense to have Eason as the backup and get him a rep here or there.  I know many say Eason isn't ready, but it is hard for me to think any QB could be worse than Brissett.

I do not agree here.  We know Brissett is capable of keeping us in games and potentially winning some games if he's called on.  None of us have really seen Eason in practice or have any idea how ready he'd be if thrown into a real game scenario.  

Our D has shown they can keep us in games.  Our offense at times has looked very efficient and aside from a few key mistakes this team could very easily be 8-0, 7-1, or 6-2 (i.e., I think we have beaten ourselves every game we've lost - we have not been blown out or outmatched for an entire game so far this year).  Our O needs to stay healthy, Rivers needs to get in sync w/ his receiving targets and the play calling needs to improve some.  That said, a win Thursday night and we're right back in the driver's seat of the AFC South.  If we get hot, make it to the playoffs and stay healthy, I do believe this team can play with any team on any given Sunday - it'll really be a matter of avoiding self-inflicted wounds.  

Until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, we should continue to do what is best for us to win.  In the QB case, that's start a healthy Rivers and keep Brissett as the backup.  The day we get mathematically eliminated, or the day Rivers or Brissett gets hurt, is the day we should consider bringing Eason up to the active roster.  If mathematically eliminated, it'd be good to get him some live reps.

• Like 3

Yes I have been saying this. We could also get him a few plays a game. Or if there is another jets situation we can get him some playing time. Why not get him a few plays a game. Reich mentioned that he would be starting to get scout team reps a couple weeks ago.

Do I want to see Eason play?  Of course!!  

Should Eason play?  Not while we are in playoff contention. 

Will Eason play?  Probably not, he is a rookie that needs developed to even be a backup.  Brissett is most likely outplaying him right now.  

Fans need to understand we may never see Eason on the field until preseason comes back.  He is more likely to be out of the league in 7yrs than a franchise QB.  Playing him to “see what you have” is equivalent to throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks.  That doesn’t happen in the NFL bc it cost coaches and GMs their jobs.  He will play if he earns it.  History says he is most likely a backup at best. 

Ps.  I absolutely loved Eason coming into the draft.  I watched nearly every game of his while he was at Georgia.  The kid has potential but so does everyone else in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Nope let him learn from the bench we need him to have full offseason of work , he may very well be the starter next year 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Do I want to see Eason play?  Of course!!  

Should Eason play?  Not while we are in playoff contention. 

Will Eason play?  Probably not, he is a rookie that needs developed to even be a backup.  Brissett is most likely outplaying him right now.  

Fans need to understand we may never see Eason on the field until preseason comes back.  He is more likely to be out of the league in 7yrs than a franchise QB.  Playing him to “see what you have” is equivalent to throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks.  That doesn’t happen in the NFL bc it cost coaches and GMs their jobs.  He will play if he earns it.  History says he is most likely a backup at best. 

Ps.  I absolutely loved Eason coming into the draft.  I watched nearly every game of his while he was at Georgia.  The kid has potential but so does everyone else in the NFL. 

Reich and Ballard need to understand he is the only one under contact next year. He needs some playing time.

35 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

No you are not the only one who wants to see Eason.

Also, no. Colts are NOT going to take Rivers out this season, no matter how bad he plays

The OP never said take rivers out. It says get him some snaps each game to see what we have. Maybe his arm would give us a little spark.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The OP never said take rivers out. It says get him some snaps each game to see what we have. Maybe his arm would give us a little spark.

Thank you. I never said take Rivers out. I actually never said give Eason snaps. I said have him on the active roster in Gameday and make him the backup so he gets some of the reps during the week. 

1 hour ago, Sumo63 said:

Agree, but I think it'll depend on how we look after the 2nd titans game, not Thursday's.  This staff is frustratingly loyal (or stubborn) at times so I doubt we will see him this year.

Hopefully they are at least getting, or will get, him some behind the scenes reps.

Either way though I'm doubtful Rivers is back next year.  We'll either get another re-tread (my money is on Stafford) or throw some kid into the fire.  No evidence mind you, just my thinking at this point and time.

I agree with you . i was  expressing my feelings not my expectations. 

I think most fans underestimate the coaching staff's ability to judge talent from practice. Eason will be activated or promoted when the coaching staff thinks he's better than what they have. Just because we haven't seen him play doesn't mean they don't know what they have.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree, but not really my point.  As purely a fan, you can't say you wouldn't have loved to see Eason just let it rip, one time, lol.

If you bring this kid in to throw a Hail Mary pass and the Balt group blitzes him and he pulled out too quickly, fumbles the snap and the Ravens take it there, then they too would get at least one more play for the Hail Mary on their side and everyone would be beating them up for putting this kid in that type of situation. I’d like to have Eason get some real game snaps but I’d also like them to be more meaningful type snaps too. A Hail Mary is just not an evaluatable snap imho. 

Until they are out of the playoff picture officially Jacoby is going to be the backup because they think he gives them the best chance to win right now if something happens to Rivers.  I know many don’t like that answer and don’t want to accept that answer but it’s plain as day that’s how the Colts feel.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich and Ballard need to understand he is the only one under contact next year. He needs some playing time.

Reich and Ballard most certainly understand Eason is the only QB under contract next year.  What makes you think they don’t? Most backups don’t get playing time bc the starter is in a contract year.  Eason will get playing time when he earns it and that may be never or it may be week 16-17. 

• Like 1

I get why people want Eason in, to see if he’s the real thing.  What I don’t get is why people think he’s an upgrade over Jacoby in a real game.  All we know about him is that he has a great arm.  So does Jacoby.

It makes no sense to me that you want to find out if he can handle being an NFL QB in games that matter.  IMO, you do that when the game and/or the season is for all intents and purposes over. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I get why people want Eason in, to see if he’s the real thing.  What I don’t get is why people think he’s an upgrade over Jacoby in a real game.  All we know about him is that he has a great arm.  So does Jacoby.

It makes no sense to me that you want to find out if he can handle being an NFL QB in games that matter.  IMO, you do that when the game and/or the season is for all intents and purposes over. 

He isn’t afraid to throw it down field. That was proven in college. Jacoby won’t throw it and takes way to long to process things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He isn’t afraid to throw it down field. That was proven in college. Jacoby won’t throw it and takes way to long to process things.

And his knock in college was that he was indecisive in the games against the better opponents.  

I'm not down on Eason, I'm simply saying that we don't know what he can do in the NFL.  Do we want to find out when we're in games or still in contention?  

If anyone thinks that he's an upgrade over Rivers, they're in fantasyland.

• Like 1

Honestly... I have no idea how ANY of us would know that. I don't know if he's ready to move to the backup spot!? How do you know? I haven't seen a SINGLE minute or even a snap of him in practice, let alone in a game, so... it's really that simple. I simply don't know. I'd love to see some footage of Eason in the NFL but I'm not sure it's available anywhere... so... yeah... I'm good with whatever the coaching staff decide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
47 minutes ago, stitches said:

Honestly... I have no idea how ANY of us would know that. I don't know if he's ready to move to the backup spot!? How do you know? I haven't seen a SINGLE minute or even a snap of him in practice, let alone in a game, so... it's really that simple. I simply don't know. I'd love to see some footage of Eason in the NFL but I'm not sure it's available anywhere... so... yeah... I'm good with whatever the coaching staff decide. 

That is the only true answer to that question.  

The other question is - do you want to find out if he's ready in games that matter?  If so, then that means the coaches can see he's better than Rivers or JB in practice.

I personally think Rivers still has three or four great games to play this season. I agree we could bring in Eason In mop up time but that hasn’t really happened except for two games and rivers completed both of them. The schedule turns very difficult for the Colts the rest of the season so I truly think the only way you’ll see Eason is if we’re getting blown out and Brisette is not available. Having no preseason really hirt Easons chances of playing Meaningful snaps this season

17 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I do not agree here.  We know Brissett is capable of keeping us in games and potentially winning some games if he's called on.  None of us have really seen Eason in practice or have any idea how ready he'd be if thrown into a real game scenario.  

Our D has shown they can keep us in games.  Our offense at times has looked very efficient and aside from a few key mistakes this team could very easily be 8-0, 7-1, or 6-2 (i.e., I think we have beaten ourselves every game we've lost - we have not been blown out or outmatched for an entire game so far this year).  Our O needs to stay healthy, Rivers needs to get in sync w/ his receiving targets and the play calling needs to improve some.  That said, a win Thursday night and we're right back in the driver's seat of the AFC South.  If we get hot, make it to the playoffs and stay healthy, I do believe this team can play with any team on any given Sunday - it'll really be a matter of avoiding self-inflicted wounds.  

Until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, we should continue to do what is best for us to win.  In the QB case, that's start a healthy Rivers and keep Brissett as the backup.  The day we get mathematically eliminated, or the day Rivers or Brissett gets hurt, is the day we should consider bringing Eason up to the active roster.  If mathematically eliminated, it'd be good to get him some live reps.

"You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time" - Donald Rumsfeld.

• Like 1