Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any news on parris Campbell?

Stephen

Agreed he is much needed with TY all but done in this offense, and some speed and playmaking ability at WR is much needed. Hoping Campbell can finally get healthy and stay that way. 

In the offseason Ballard hopefully will bring in more talent at WR, and will most likely let Hilton walk. Also need to look long and hard at Eason and see if he is ready to take over at QB. If not I would hope he highly considers getting a QB round 1 with someone like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson. 

Also Reich needs to be evaluated in the offseason as well. If he owns up to his bad adjustments on offense and shows that he will progress there, he should get another shot in my opinion. 

I may be in the minority here, but I think we are alright at WR. Of course, we don't have a true playmaker at WR, but Rivers likes to spread the ball around anyway.

If you look at yesterdays game, there was 1 miscue with Marcus Johnson on a deep route, but aside from that, it was mostly Rivers inaccuracy that caused the problems. The receivers were getting open and making plays when they could.

• Rivers threw well behind Johnson on a crossing route, which was nearly intercepted. 
  • He was intercepted (debatable) by Peters because the throw was short. In either case, whether or not it should have been called an INT, I think we all agree that the throw was bad.
  • He overthrew Burton on a crossing route (pass was too high) on a crucial third down.

And there were some questionable coaching calls. I think you kick the field goal on 4th down, narrow the game to 8 points. Instead, Reich went for it and the Ravens knew exactly what was coming.

• On that 4th down play, Burton was wide open, but Rivers did not have time to throw. My point is that it wasn't a receiver issue, it was a poor play call. The issues seem to stem from other things and not due to a lack of quality receivers.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I may be in the minority here, but I think we are alright at WR. Of course, we don't have a true playmaker at WR, but Rivers likes to spread the ball around anyway.

If you look at yesterdays game, there was 1 miscue with Marcus Johnson on a deep route, but aside from that, it was mostly Rivers inaccuracy that caused the problems. The receivers were getting open and making plays when they could.

• Rivers threw well behind Johnson on a crossing route, which was nearly intercepted. 
  • He was intercepted (debatable) by Peters because the throw was short. In either case, whether or not it should have been called an INT, I think we all agree that the throw was bad.
  • He overthrew Burton on a crossing route (pass was too high) on a crucial third down.

And there were some questionable coaching calls. I think you kick the field goal on 4th down, narrow the game to 8 points. Instead, Reich went for it and the Ravens knew exactly what was coming.

• On that 4th down play, Burton was wide open, but Rivers did not have time to throw. My point is that it wasn't a receiver issue, it was a poor play call. The issues seem to stem from other things and not due to a lack of quality receivers.

I've not seen replays or anything but i am leaning towards your stance. Rivers was missing deep. It certainly looked like there were deep plays open and the Ravens just compressed the field and dared Rivers to beat them deep and he couldn't.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

I've not seen replays or anything but i am leaning towards your stance. Rivers was missing deep. It certainly looked like there were deep plays open and the Ravens just compressed the field and dared Rivers to beat them deep and he couldn't.

To me, this has also been an issue with the run game. If you are not going to connect on deep passes, then the defense will move in closer to the line of scrimmage and stack the box. The opposing defenses do not respect the deep pass from the Colts.

They will defend against the run and the short passing game simultaneously. People like to think that the O-line has regressed in the running game, but the reality is that if we do not stretch the defense, the running game will suffer because of it.

I wouldn’t get the hopes up on Campbell returning this season. His injury usually takes well beyond eight more games to heal. The Colts are stuck with what they have. Me, I’m just hoping TY gets back on the field and Reich starts calling his number. He’s still the Colts’ best receiver. 

Parris Campbell is like that player in fantasy football you hold on to with false hopes until you eventually realize you are better off cutting your losses and making plans for games without him.  This season, I have no hopes of him being able to contribute for us.

It is a bummer to lose Campbell. If he can stay healthy he will be a solid receiver. With that said I think we have some talent at WR. Pittman is going to be very good. I saw Ravens game yesterday and he played well. Pascal continues to improve and is becoming a reliable receiver. Johnson has looked good when we get him the ball and he is worth keeping. De Michael Harris is a steal. He adds an extra dimension to the offense and we should use him more in the offensive game plan. I think Patman and Fountain are worth a longer look. Would like to see them get some reps. TY is on downside of his career and I am afraid that we may need to look to replace him in offseason. As for TE' Burton and AMC have contributed. I think we may want to look beyond Doyle and find a better option  for next season. I would put a higher premium on TE over WR in the draft. We need to have  QB that can show a consistent vertical game. 

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Agreed he is much needed with TY all but done in this offense, and some speed and playmaking ability at WR is much needed. Hoping Campbell can finally get healthy and stay that way. 

In the offseason Ballard hopefully will bring in more talent at WR, and will most likely let Hilton walk. Also need to look long and hard at Eason and see if he is ready to take over at QB. If not I would hope he highly considers getting a QB round 1 with someone like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson. 

Also Reich needs to be evaluated in the offseason as well. If he owns up to his bad adjustments on offense and shows that he will progress there, he should get another shot in my opinion. 

Let me ask u a question. Do u this team would b performing much better with Andy Reid as our coach?

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Your r missing the point. You show displeasure with Reich. I asked if u think another coach could do more with this offence

There definitely has been some questionable play calling... but I highly doubt any other coach in the league would turn this into an 'elite' offense given the amount of injuries we've had.  Simply, we don't have many elite players in the skill positions on offense and those who are higher end players have been hurt or injured at some (or multiple) points this season.  We're young at at the skill positions after TY and Doyle and we're working with a new QB in a year with a highly reduced off-season and no preseason games.   While every team had to deal w/ a short offseason and no preseason games, I cannot think of how many other teams who have a new QB have had the amount of injuries around their skill positions as the Colts have had this year.

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Im afraid cambell will only get to play if the Colts make the playoffs 

I am somewhat surprised by this thread because of the news that came out when he got injured, the only news i saw about how long he'd be out was stuff pointing to the the last quarter of the season or the playoffs. 

Yeah it seems there is a small chance he will be back even for the playoffs. I understand them though just letting it play out. You have to feel for this kid. When you hear him do interviews ect I believe he could of been a captain once TY retires. Things really looked like he was going to be the replacement for TY. On one of the Colts podcasts by local media one of them mentioned they were going to ask for a update with him.

10 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Good post. Much is made of our “sub-par” receivers. Other than TYs early drops, I’m not seeing a whole lot of drops on the team. 
   Rivers had a bad game. If the Colts are going to do anything in the postseason, Rivers has to hit those throws.

This team will get better (if they stay healthy), as they play together more. There’s nothing that can’t be corrected. Reich made the statement he is more convinced than ever, this team has the right players to win it all. He said the same thing in Philadelphia in 2017.

Stay tuned!

10 hours ago, Flash7 said:

He missed pitman to a on deep ball

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I am liking this DeMichael Harris. He is showing more route running ability than originally thought he would.

He has speed.

He has hands.

He runs hard.

He runs tough.

I like him in the slot a lot. 

And yet if it wasn’t for injuries he wouldn’t be called up

11 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Honestly, the going for it on 4th down, I think Reich realize the defense hadn't been stopping them in the second half, and knew the best they could hopeful was a FG. While that series they stopped them, the offense had stopped flat too before they took it down to a fg

Archived