Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time for Ballard to sign or trade for a WR in the offseason?

I'm saying YES! its time to sign or trade for a WR. TY is most certainly gone, Campbell can't stay on the field, the jury is still out on Pittman, we have a bunch of WR5 WR6s who probably wouldn't start on any other team in the NFL. The Colts need someone who is a playmaker, who puts fear in opposing defensives, and someone who can stretch the field. No matter who the QB is Ballard has to address the WR position. I'm not about to criticize him for passing on Metcalf when he had injury concerns coming out of college. You can't predict if a player is going to stay healthy or not. 

Here are the 2021 WR free agents under 30 years old. The intriguing names. 

Allen Robinson 27 

Kenny Golladay 27

JuJu Smith Schuster 24

Keenan Allen 28 

Chris Godwin 26 

Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, and JuJu Smith Schuster are strong possibilities. The Lions, Bears, and Steelers, have little to no cap space to resign their guys. The Steelers have $6 million in cap space as of now and are projected to be over the cap by $19 million in 2021. The Lions currently have $14 million in cap space and that number will remain with them in 2021. The Bears currently have $7 million in cap space and are project to have $1.4 million in cap space for 2021. 

While certainly a good question, I don't believe it can be answered until the question of starting qb in 2021 is answered. While free agent receivers will certainly be looking for a big payday, they will also be looking for teams with quarterbacks who are going to get them the ball. Eason is the only qb under contract beyond this season, regardless of his role next year, another qb must be brought in(and quite possibly 2). 

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

While certainly a good question, I don't believe it can be answered until the question of starting qb in 2021 is answered. While free agent receivers will certainly be looking for a big payday, they will also be looking for teams with quarterbacks who are going to get them the ball. Eason is the only qb under contract beyond this season, regardless of his role next year, another qb must be brought in(and quite possibly 2). 

I agree with this. And To be honest, outside Fields, Lance, Lawrence, and Trask there is nobody in this QB draft class that really wows me. All those guys I mentioned will be gone because the Colts are going to be picking in the late teens early 20s. I like Zach Wilson out of BYU, but I don't know if he's is going to transition to the next level. 

Yes, this team needs a lot more talent added on offense. Ballard has been revamping this defense since he got here and it is truly remarkable what he's done. However, some of the offensive talent/weapons have been inconsistent/not great. This team needs another draft of great offensive picks and I think we will be in pretty good shape. I would probably trade for Keenan Allen or Chris Godwin for sure. 

Allen signed an extension already, and I don't agree with trading for WRs, especially with such a good class in 2021.

As far as the other WRs you listed, the most realistic one I think could be available is Juju. With Pittsburgh having both Diontae and Claypool, they don't exactly need Juju longterm.

We definitely need help at WR in the offseason. We will need to replace Hilton with another starter opposite Pittman on the outside. Campbell is still an unknown so it's tough to fully count on him either. He is also best suited for the slot. 

JuJu would be an ideal replacement for TY. It’s not unrealistic for that to happen either. The Colts, IMO, cannot look solely to the draft to cure their woes at WR. An investment in a top FA would be a shot in the arm for this Offense. 

11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Allen signed an extension already, and I don't agree with trading for WRs, especially with such a good class in 2021.

As far as the other WRs you listed, the most realistic one I think could be available is Juju. With Pittsburgh having both Diontae and Claypool, they don't exactly need Juju longterm.

We definitely need help at WR in the offseason. We will need to replace Hilton with another starter opposite Pittman on the outside. Campbell is still an unknown so it's tough to fully count on him either. He is also best suited for the slot. 

He did not. FA this summer.

Archived