Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good, Bad and Ugly Week 9 esp: Why didn't Reich kick a field goal down 11?

JPFolks

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I was very happy on draft day when we drafted him, since I think we need an upgrade of Mack, but the luster of thinking that JT is that upgrade is wearing off quickly. 

I would have thought that any 3 year starting RB from a major college program would have seen that space to the outside, especially a track guy with speed.  It almost looked as if he hasn't played the RB position before.

Yeah, it was an awful run.  It will be embarrassing in the film room.  There is nothing that I can see that influenced him inside. He's got from the numbers to the side lines to try to use his speed and outrun the Safety who has a bad angle with a trackstar running. He might break it if he continues to the corner.  Instead he actually sticks his foot and cuts inside.

The play worked perfectly.  Some people will look at the 9 yds and say it was a good run before the fumble, but it was an incompetent run before the fumble.  He should have have had at 9 yds before being touched.

The dude is not very good at all.  Maybe that will change, but I don't see it.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The momentum changed on that nonsense Interception. From that point on Baltimore's offense kept our defense on the field for about 14 minutes of gametime and 30 minutes of real time.....

Always. Take. The. Points. Been saying it since week 1.

The defense is still legit, regardless of the L. 

Still say Easons arm makes this offense hum.....

That decision by Rivers to throw that pass in that spot at that time is all on him. It absolutely was an interception ball. Bad call or not (the refs were predictably biased against the Colts as they always are when it is critical)  but the mistake was throwing a pass in a place where two defenders were blanketing our average receiver. I do credit our guy for trying his best to rip that ball out like a DB but alas...).

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

No idea on passing on the field goal unless frank didn’t trust his defense to keep them from scoring again which doesn’t seem like the message you want to send to them.

If you (Reich)  have no confidence in your Defense who played well, how the @#%!& did you have confidence with our limp running game? 

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Quite frankly, our receiver core sucks!  We are out there trying to make a go of it with 3rd and 4th receivers, and a rookie that we hope can be a wr2, mayyybe a wr1.  And the play calling is mediocre at best.  I am dubious at best, sadly. :( 

It didn't matter if we had Julio and Tyreek yesterday, Rivers was missing guys by 20 yards. 

48 minutes ago, Myles said:

I put most of the blame on Reich.  His play calling, lack of adjustments and defensive schemes are all bad.   

Man we gave up a season low to the Ravens in points and and held them 80yds below their average and an incredible 4.2 yds per play.  I don't understand how you could fault them for having bad defensive schemes.  

We have a pretty good defense.  

What is is specifically about play calling yesterday that people think was bad?  I'm not just talking to you Myles.  I just don't understand what people think is bad in general about the play calling.  I really don't.  He mixes pass/run if that is what people are referring too.  He passes as much as he  runs on first downs despite the idea that many have on here that it is always run.  We have an even 50 50 split and are actually totally even at 115 runs and 115 passes from the data I am citing.    The data here does not match the perception.  We are right at average in percentage of runs called on 1st down.

Yesterday we ran all kinds of crap.   A jet sweep, all manner of screens, a deep motion sweep.  We ran from under center, etc.

I am serious.  What specifically about the play calling is objectionable from people?

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

That decision by Rivers to throw that pass in that spot at that time is all on him. It absolutely was an interception ball. Bad call or not (the refs were predictably biased against the Colts as they always are when it is critical)  but the mistake was throwing a pass in a place where two defenders were blanketing our average receiver. I do credit our guy for trying his best to rip that ball out like a DB but alas...).

That throw was a bad decision on the QBs part.  I am sure there were other options than that.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Man we gave up a season low to the Ravens in points and and held them 80yds below their average and an incredible 4.2 yds per play.  I don't understand how you could fault them for having bad defensive schemes.  

What is is specifically about play calling yesterday that people think was bad?  I'm not just talking to you Myles.  I just don't understand what people think is bad in general about the play calling.  I really don't.  He mixes pass/run if that is what people are referring too.  He passes more than runs on first downs despite the idea that many have on here that it is always run.  We have an even 50 50 split and are actually totally even at 115 runs and 115 passes from the data I am citing.    The data here does not match the perception.  We are right at average in percentage of runs called on 1st down.

Yesterday we ran all kinds of crap.   A jet sweep, all manner of screens, a deep motion sweep.  We ran from under center, etc.

I am serious.  What specifically about the play calling is objectionable from people?

I won't go too in depth.   Mostly things like not kicking the FG when down by 11.   Running Hines (our smallest RB) up the gut on 4th and short.  His decisions to go soft on defense.  Lack of adjustments.  

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I mentioned in the game thread with 7 minutes left and down 2 scores he's  feeding our 3rd string rb!!!

Play book/play calling has been horrific. 

Unless Taylor had an unknown injury,  not playing him the rest of the game was FAR more egregious than that rookie mistake. I'll go further to say the rookie was defeated physically (watch the slow motion of the fumble, it was ripped loose, not squandered). If a rookie can't be forgiven for one defeat in battle, why does the dozens of critical mistakes made by Reich not result in his play calling being benched? Pathetic double standard on the team. Where is Reich's accountability?

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

I put most of the blame on Reich.  His play calling, lack of adjustments and defensive schemes are all bad.   

I really can't agree on the defensive schemes were bad. Our defense played a great game. 

I also have to give the Ravens credit for also playing great defensively. 

It was our lack of offense against a great defense that cost the game IMO.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I won't go too in depth.   Mostly things like not kicking the FG when down by 11.   Running Hines (our smallest RB) up the gut on 4th and short.  His decisions to go soft on defense.  Lack of adjustments.  

Well Ok the FG thing.  I would have kicked it, but conventional wisdom is to go for 4th and 1 in that situation nowadays.

They did run Hines on short yardage a few times in like week 2 or 3 but I haven't seen them do that since.

We have personnel issues on offense IMO.

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Start watching River’s face, whenever Taylor gets a carry. He always seems down on Taylor.  I’m getting the sense that Frank & Rivers have put Taylor in the doghouse. How long before Ballard has to step in?  Because them not giving Taylor opportunities when he’s playing well and Wilkins is not, makes it looks like Ballard screwed up in the draft by taking Taylor...  “Stuff” rolls downhill.  I bet Ballard will move on from Frank & Phillip before they make it look like he’s an inept GM by refusing to give his high draft pick the chances to grow & get better. 

Right. You bench a player when he fumbles TWICE and indicates a trend. Find me hall of fame RBs with no fumbles?  I wanted to see what the kid was made of after the pressure was on him. That would build his character, not being humiliated on the bench like he was a toddler. Our team NEEDED him and Reich let us loose to what end? 

1. TY is having a poor season

2. We have average (or less than average) at best in Dulin, Pascal and Johnson

3. Campbell cannot stay healthy so far

4. Pittman is a rookie and is showing flashes

5. Harris is a good target but has only played in a few games

Bottom line our WR core is nowhere near what it needs to be to challenge the better teams. Route running and a mental connection with Rivers is not synced up. 

We have played an easy schedule and had our first real test on Sunday and the offense failed to put up meaningful points. 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Right. You bench a player when he fumbles TWICE and indicates a trend. Find me hall of fame RBs with no fumbles?  I wanted to see what the kid was made of after the pressure was on him. That would build his character, not being humiliated on the bench like he was a toddler. Our team NEEDED him and Reich let us loose to what end? 

I'm not sure that the fumble is the only thing.

See if you can find a video of that play.  I think you will see what a bad run it was in the first place.  One of the other posters pointed it out.  That play should have been a huge gain if not a TD.  It was a great call and executed perfectly by everyone except Taylor.  It was a terrible play before the fumble.  The 9 yd. gain stat doesn't tell the story.  He might have gotten a touchdown if he doesn't cut inside right into the pursuing safety. There is literally no one outside the numbers here.  

He is not a good RB at this point in his career.  I am guessing he is having issues in pass pro too which reduces his usage.

I would guess the oline is tired of him making them look bad and risking injury by having him run up their backs.  

6 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

I just don't get people complaining about JW driving the run game.

JT is making all the wrong decisions, he made a wrong decision on the fumble, charged against contact when clearly the best option was to go wide and turn the corner on a slower safety, the rest of the word saw it, he didn't, is it's happening every sunday.

You bench a guy when his fumbling is a trend. One fumble in the first half of the season? Reich makes a handful of egregious mistakes every game, but a rookie makes on and loses his job?  Taylor is a VOLUME RB. He needs carries. Starving him isn't taking setting him up to win.  /if he was a bad pick, then at least utilize your best receiver Hines in the backfield. Wilkins isn't carrying us anywhere. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

You bench a guy when his fumbling is a trend. One fumble in the first half of the season? Reich makes a handful of egregious mistakes every game, but a rookie makes on and loses his job?  Taylor is a VOLUME RB. He needs carries. Starving him isn't taking setting him up to win.  /if he was a bad pick, then at least utilize your best receiver Hines in the backfield. Wilkins isn't carrying us anywhere. 

I understand about the one fumble and agree and I am not going to keep badgering you, but try to take look at the play and I think you see how bad of a run it is.  That is the point Diogo is making.  

Just now, indyagent17 said:

1. TY is having a poor season

2. We have average (or less than average) at best in Dulin, Pascal and Johnson

3. Campbell cannot stay healthy so far

4. Pittman is a rookie and is showing flashes

5. Harris is a good target but has only played in a few games

Bottom line our WR core is nowhere near what it needs to be to challenge the better teams. Route running and a mental connection with Rivers is not synced up. 

We have played an easy schedule and had our first real test on Sunday and the offense failed to put up meaningful points. 

Couldn't agree more.  Maybe help could be on the way.  It looks like Golden Tate and the Giants are about to part company.  They are having serious issues and this week could be it.  If so we need to sign him asap.  He's a solid veteran who knows how to run routes properly and make tough catches.  I think Rivers needs a go to veteran he can count on besides TY when he is healthy.  He could step in and help immediately.  

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I said the same thing last year when I was defending JB but even some the best posters in here wouldn't listen and blamed JB for everything. Our WR core is average at best and TY isn't TY of 2 or 3 years ago, dude is always injured. Give JB KC's TE and WR core and he would get a team to the playoffs. It is common sense, JMO. JB wouldn't win the SB lol but with the weapons Mahomes has he could get a team to the playoffs. Our WR core is MEH.

The problem is we don't have the QB OR the WRs.  Why this team can't walk and chew gum I have no idea. Luck made everyone look good. So did Manning. We don't have those guys. We need a line and WRs with sub par QBs.  You can't have one out of 3. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Couldn't agree more.  Maybe help could be on the way.  It looks like Golden Tate and the Giants are about to part company.  They are having serious issues and this week could be it.  If so we need to sign him asap.  He's a solid veteran who knows how to run routes properly and make tough catches.  I think Rivers needs a go to veteran he can count on besides TY when he is healthy.  He could step in and help immediately.  

Just to follow up.  This week was a particularly bad week to have literally no vet receivers in the lineup.  Balt blitzes all the time and the receivers must make the right hot reads or the QB will have no good place to go with the ball.  I am sure this was a major issue yesterday.  You'd have to actually be a coach and know every play call to determine that for sure though.

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The problem is we don't have the QB OR the WRs.  Why this team can't walk and chew gum I have no idea. Luck made everyone look good. So did Manning. We don't have those guys. We need a line and WRs with sub par QBs.  You can't have one out of 3. 

Another thing Rivers lacks is a competent running game.

I don't love Rivers, but man, he isn't getting much help out their other than being kept pretty clean by the OLine.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

How can the Colts be soooooo bad at running (and defending) screens for literally years? 

I wish this team could put 4 quarters of a game together. It's crazy how they either look great in the first half and terrible in the 2nd half, or vice versa. 

I'd like to see the percentages of how many times the Colts Run it on first down vs. Pass. Is it 75%? I know it doesn't, but it sure seems like Reich's playbook simply says run, run, and when you are stuck in 3rd and 6 try and pass your way out of it. His play calling is really suspect. 

Philip Rivers is maddening to watch. He's so up and down. I never watched him in San Diego, but wow. He has been throwing some ducks. Side note: putting Brissett in makes me cringe every time. 

How are the Colts so bad at running up the middle now? Outside runs and wheel routes looked pretty good, and they quit running them. 

Harris needs more snaps. Mo Allie should be concentrated on more. They need to scheme the TE's more all around. 

I am a big fan of using TEs to dominate. Our current and last regime both said that was their plan but neither ever stuck with it. 

3 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

This game was a shame. Call me a homer, but I really thought we were the better team overall. Our passing game was way out of sync and the fumble returned for a TD killed us. Baltimore may be the better team at this time thanks to their discipline, but I otherwise think we should have had them beat. The overthrown balls and the slowing down on routes was genuinely the death of us today. Miami and the Las Vegas winning hurts. This week's game is going to be huge. We can't let ourselves spiral no matter how hard the schedule.

It sure appears our only way to the playoffs is via winning our division.   Our wildcard chances are looking grim with a loss this week to TN.  We need to sweep our AFC South games at least against TN or we're hosed. I doubt we sweep Houston either. 

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

How can the Colts be soooooo bad at running (and defending) screens for literally years? 

I wish this team could put 4 quarters of a game together. It's crazy how they either look great in the first half and terrible in the 2nd half, or vice versa. 

I'd like to see the percentages of how many times the Colts Run it on first down vs. Pass. Is it 75%? I know it doesn't, but it sure seems like Reich's playbook simply says run, run, and when you are stuck in 3rd and 6 try and pass your way out of it. His play calling is really suspect. 

Philip Rivers is maddening to watch. He's so up and down. I never watched him in San Diego, but wow. He has been throwing some ducks. Side note: putting Brissett in makes me cringe every time. 

How are the Colts so bad at running up the middle now? Outside runs and wheel routes looked pretty good, and they quit running them. 

Harris needs more snaps. Mo Allie should be concentrated on more. They need to scheme the TE's more all around. 

I was curious about this because I was not seeing the same thing.  For the season (don't know if the stats included yesterday's game but there were about 4-5 more 1st down passes than runs yesterday), the chart I looked at showed the Colts were literally 50-50.  115 runs and 115 passes on 1st down.

16 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Ridiculous take.

The WR core is banged up, young, and weak.  Bringing in an unproven rookie QB is not gonna fix that, and it would be incredibly stupid to do considering this team is in the playoff hunt.

You will see when it happens. Ridiculous or not.

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Not sure we have reliable receiving targets to take advantage.  Either WRs were blowing their routes or Rivers lost his mind or both.  

Since you didn't go off the deep end, I always have one anecdote for the future and Easons arm strength will make a difference eventually.

55 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I agree that it was a poor decision. However, the WR battled to dislodge the ball and it should have been a non play......but, it was a momentum changer for the Ravens

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

But, the issue is that there is no real difference between the 3rd stringer and the starter.....or former college RBs that now have civilian jobs and our starter.   LOL.

We don't know unless he actually gets used as a starter for a few games. If he's not showing starting caliber play in practice don't put him out there. But if our rule is one fumble means benching then why is Rivers still QB? We've got back up QBs too... if our 4th string RB is the answer after one mistake, how about our 20 million dollar backup? How about our Rookie? What could be worse than Rivers in the second half? My real point is we need to learn if the RB was a blown pick like Banogu.  

39 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I really can't agree on the defensive schemes were bad. Our defense played a great game. 

I think it played an amazing half.  But the second half was not.   They got 55 yards in the first half but 211 in the second and it did not look like Reich adjusted at all.  

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes, bring in a WR who complains about not getting enough targets to a team with a QB who likes to distribute the ball to a lot of receivers. Nothing can go wrong there (Sarcasm).

Just now, Myles said:

I think it played an amazing half.  But the second half was not.   They got 55 yards in the first half but 211 in the second and it did not look like Reich adjusted at all.  

But here is the thing.  The Colts possessed the ball for a grand total of 1:22 until 11 minutes into the 4th quarter.  They were off the field for 4 plays, the INT and the 3 and out, before this.  Sure they are the ones who couldn't get off the field, but they couldn't discuss things with coaches, there was no time to adjust.  They  were basically on the field for a 35 play drive.  I don't know if you watch hockey, but imagine if you had a couple of defensemen who couldn't get off the ice for 8 or 10 minutes.  There is little doubt that the other team would score because of the tired defensemen.  This is what the 3Q and 1st third of the 4th was like.

After this, on the next drive when the game was still winnable when we were down 21-10 after our 4th down incompletion drive, the Colts 3 and outed the Ravens with 5:12 left.  When your offense only possesses the ball for 1:22 out of 20 minutes of football, you are bound to give up yards.  

I hear what you are saying man, but the offense really killed us with INT and the 3 and out.  

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Totally agree on the JT should’ve gone out wide part.

The fumble overshadows just how weird of a decision that was. He had the easy lane out wide. And where he actually went, it wasn’t like he had to break just one tackle to make a big gain, there were multiple defenders in the area. Seemed like he was just looking for contact.

Why is it surprising that a rookie WR who has barely been used as a true starter (100 carries in 8 games is NOT starting usage, that is less than some teams #2 who have big name starters. He needs 20+ carries a game to learn what he really is.  JT leads the team with an almost 95% catch rate as well.  Use him.  Use our line.  If the line isn't good and the drafted QB isn't good then our GM must answer for it. However if the play calling and player usage is the real problem, as I think it is, then Reich must give up playcalling.  He didn't call plays in Philly, perhaps for a good reason. 

3 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Sad to say that because I was really high on this pick, but he's reminding me Trent Richardson, and that's half a season of football.

Maybe Mack is out of the financial plan, but we need him back next year.

I think you have to give your starter more than 12.5 carries a game all season.  I think in this game you needed your receiving back used more than 4 times. It was just pathetic play calling all day.  

3 hours ago, B~Town said:

Did anyone notice Rivers on the JT fumble on the ground . His play went downhill after that play did he take a big hit or fall down oddly . 

I did notice that he could have stopped the TD on that play as the returner was falling down but Rivers was too old and uncoordinated to do anything.  He just flopped down. He showed no signs of physical hurt but he played like he was butt hurt over it. He moped through the rest of the game and was terrible. I do think you nailed the moment his play collapsed. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

To the title's question, why not kick a FG there?

I think we were pretty close into the red zone.  Looking at it one way, it was an easy FG.  But I can see what Frank was thinking.  Its tough to get that close to the endzone against the Ravens....it not like we have the big play firepower to score a TD from way out....we have to get in close.

So he goes for it there, since we managed to get pretty close to the endzone on that drive, figuring the next time we'd have to settle for a longer FG.

If you have no ability to score on a big play...long play...and that striking ability is removed from your decision making, then the decision to go for it there makes some sense

You were going to have to a short 2pt conversion no matter what. If that play was their best possible short yardage effort 1. you should have saved it and 2. it needed to be better than that because we couldn't get inches let alone 2.5 yards.  We had to score. Going for it meant bringing a sure loss into the equation. Not get a first you lose. Plus if you get it, you're still burning clock you need to score again with no assurance of a TD anyway.  It was simply a terrible losing choice. 

3 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

haha thanks!

I've been on this Forum alot, just not posting.

But couldn't be silent right now, JT is playing bad, we need to stop babysitting him.

I agree. Run him like a real starter 20+ times a game with 5 pass targets and see if he can do it. 12.5 carries a game is babying him.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

What is is specifically about play calling yesterday that people think was bad?  I'm not just talking to you Myles.  I just don't understand what people think is bad in general about the play calling.  I really don't.  He mixes pass/run if that is what people are referring too.  He passes as much as he  runs on first downs despite the idea that many have on here that it is always run.  We have an even 50 50 split and are actually totally even at 115 runs and 115 passes from the data I am citing.    The data here does not match the perception.  We are right at average in percentage of runs called on 1st down.

I think the soft zone gave Bal their confidence and momentum. When it was 14-10 I knew we couldn't give up any more points and have a chance. Hell we didn't even have a chance at 14 in the end. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

They played a great half. They played mediocre in the second half.  

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

They played a great half. They played mediocre in the second half.  

I'd agree with you that the 2nd half was mediocre, but it was still good enough to win the game, and people who don't realize that having the offense only run 4 plays in the first 20 minutes of a half is going to cause the defense to have issues have questionable analysis skills.  Not saying that's you by the way.  But the context of the game surely had an effect on the 3rd drive which was 14 plays and included a 4th down pickup.  

They played well enough to win in both halves. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Another thing Rivers lacks is a competent running game.

I don't love Rivers, but man, he isn't getting much help out their other than being kept pretty clean by the OLine.

I just think to have a good running game you must commit to it. Giving your starter 12.5 runs a game all season doesn't suggest a running game. JT is a power runner. He needs bulk carries to pound the D, wear them down and then break some runs.  

Just now, JPFolks said:

I just think to have a good running game you must commit to it. Giving your starter 12.5 runs a game all season doesn't suggest a running game. JT is a power runner. He needs bulk carries to pound the D, wear them down and then break some runs.  

JT has been a very poor runner this year JP.  I don't think giving him more carries is the answer.  He actually usually doesn't run with power until he gets to the 2nd level with momentum.  His leg drive in the trash is unimpressive. 

We would need to almost completely transform the offense to an under center game to accommodate him, and that ain't happenin this year at least. At this point I am pretty sure that bulk carries for JT would lead to many , many more 3 and outs and turnovers in 3rd and long situations.  We apparantly dont have the personnell to run right now.

Beware the gaudy Wisco running back numbers.   They are essentially meaningless other than a indicator that a guy can take a pounding.

Archived