Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mid Season Coaching Grades - Discussion and Poll


Mid Season Coaching Grades  

98 members have voted

  1. 1. How would you grade offensive coaching (game plan, play calling, adjustments, creativity, personnel usage)

  2. 2. How would you grade defensive coaching (game plan, play calling, adjustments, creativity, personnel usage)

  3. 3. What most accurately describes your feelings about offensive coaching right now

    • I'm happy, no change needed
    • I'm unhappy, I like Frank, but let Sirianni call plays
    • I'm unhappy, not sure Reich is the long term answer
    • I don't know right now, but I'm not really happy...

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/16/2020 at 04:24 AM

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

 

I think Reich and co. get so spun up and obsessed with self-scouting their own tendencies that they end up not having an identity.

 

To make an analogy: Notre Dame has an offensive identity.  They smash you in the face with a sledgehammer running game (lots of outside zone), and then in the passing game, crossers and 50/50 balls to their big-bodied TEs/WRs.

 

Now, within that identity, they utilize their best play-makers.  And they break tendencies with how they use the personnel (formations, area of the field, etc.).  But they don't just abandon them.

Agreed. I know who ND is every game.

 

I have zero idea who the Colts are from week to week on O.

 

On D, at least I can expect very little blitzing, and soft zone every week lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, this is a huge issue with Reich. He forgets what works, and gets too stubborn when his game plan isn't working. Those sail routes to Moe that worked so well a few games ago would have been perfec

I'm saying this about coaching. I'm saying the high ranking is a product of playing bad teams, therefore not truly #3.    That is why the D coaching gets a C+ from me. Our blitz % is bottom

My biggest disappointment is the inconsistency. When something works on offense we never see it again. Where is the MAC we saw the first three games. Where was the Hines we saw last week. This offense

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. I know who ND is every game.

 

I have zero idea who the Colts are from week to week on O.

 

On D, at least I can expect very little blitzing, and soft zone every week lol.

Colts have no real identity  on offense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You're 100% anecdotal, even in this reply... 

 

Still waiting to know exactly when it's OK to question and critique... 

Lol ok....again I told you if this team was completely trash (which they're not) and the players were not playing to their expectations then you should ask those questions but not after a loss against a good team

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We have the 32nd ranked strength of schedule. We've played some horrible Os, with horrible QBs and horrible OLs.

 

We're top 10-15, not top 5. Our run D is very good. Pass D is not near as good as our #5 rating. We made Minshew look like a surgeon due to charmin soft zone. Today we let a 60% QB throw for 82%. Any QB in a dink and dunk scheme eats us up. 

 

Agree here, our run defense has been fantastic and I had us beating the ravens because of this, unfortunately not to be.... Our pass defense leaves something to be desired, also maybe it's just me but I feel like our pass rush wasn't great yesterday either. 

 

Loved seeing Leonard back, he really is awesome and a constant problem. I feel like Jackson was scared of him the whole game lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could make an argument that the Ravens are the 2nd best team in the conference. I honestly think they are as good as Pitt is. Yeah they were missing some players but still had the MVP at QB. So we lost to a very good team while making dumb mistakes. It happens. No shame in losing today IMO. We really beat ourselves along with the REFS help. Thursday's game will be the tell all whether or not we are at least good and not just an 8-8/9-7 team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I could make an argument that the Ravens are the 2nd best team in the conference. I honestly think they are as good as Pitt is. Yeah they were missing some players but still had the MVP at QB. So we lost to a very good team while making dumb mistakes. It happens. No shame in losing today IMO. We really beat ourselves along with the REFS help. Thursday's game will be the tell all whether or not we are at least good and not just an 8-8/9-7 team. 

 

Unfortunately I'd say we are a 9-7 team until our offense/play calling is improved. I do believe we have some good young talent and a solid foundation, but like others have said we need to find the answer at QB and have one or two game changers in offense. Ballard has done an okay job of gathering draft picks and using them on some good players (some not so good) so hopefully next draft he will look to trade up into the early picks of the first round to get a real playmaker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just wat until we play the raiders. Lol. Harbaugh made the offensive adjustments when their run game wasn’t working. Reich made no adjustments. It’s like he goes into a game with no plan B.

Don't follow the Pied Piper's.

 

Its funny how the opinion of his play calling was great against the Lions, but bad against Baltimore.  We moved the ball at will the first drive against BALT.  Moved it well enough again to score a FG.  BALT adjusted and then we couldn't do anything.  

 

Contrast our performance against DET with our performance against BALT.  You're saying the difference is that Frank understands his offense one week, but then forgets it the next week.? 

 

I say the difference lies in the low talent level of DET, and the high talent level of BALT.  And ours is about on par with DET, and worse than BALT. 

 

We beat DET because Reich outcoached Patricia with just a bit better overall level of talent. 

 

And on defense, BALT showed us, as they do with a lot of teams, that our back 7 can't stay with their TEs, especially when Lamar extends a play.  That's not coaching, that's talent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Frank not using Hines.  IIRC, he used Harris on several Hinesy plays, and had success.  Harris wasn't even on the roster in DET.  Since Hines and Harris should be used in more of a receivers type role and not as a RB, Harris is probably better, which could be why Frank used him instead of Hines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense= A

Offense=F

 

I'm not tooting my own horn however I told everyone on here who would listen this team had zero playmakers back before the draft and FA. I have been saying this all the way through. Some of you are now starting to access the same thing. That topic has been addressed and readdressed a multitude of times now. Won't rehash here.

 

I'm telling you what's the most disappointing to me hands down and it is this:

 

The Miami Dolphins are better than us in all phases and it's not even close.  The Dolphins!! Kudos to them though as they were a team that was a hot mess and within 2 years Flores and company have turned that team around and those guys are not only competitive, they are hammering bad and good teams alike. Strong D, Strong O.  They are growing to becoming REAL contenders.

 

Right now, we would get smoked by the Dolphins.... That should tell you everything about where this team really is

 

I would say the Colts, at years end, fire Reich and "SERIOUSLY" make a play for Bienemi before the Texans do or promote Eberflus

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yep, this is a huge issue with Reich. He forgets what works, and gets too stubborn when his game plan isn't working. Those sail routes to Moe that worked so well a few games ago would have been perfect today against their depleted secondary. Instead, they ran Burton on some deeper routes. Wut??

 

And why on earth are you calling a 1st read 50/50 to a guy like Johnson on the sideline in the first place. Number one, he's gimpy with a knee. Second, he's not a "big ups" ladder climber guy in the first place. Third, Johnson is still struggling with routes. It was obvious a few times on sideline throws he was supposed to either run a comeback or back shoulder, but kept going. He's just not that guy. Had no separation today. Give him posts, slants, or digs and drags. 2 catches on 7 targets.... Almost everyone else had a good catch rate. 

 

I started looking at the play by play, and looking at the mix, and I got so frustrated I had to stop... I'll do a little right up tomorrow when I'm less crabby. 

 

Thanks for doing that. 

 

I'd be interested to see how many times the Colts ran on 1st (and 2nd) down. That percentage in the first half had to be extremely high. 

 

I know it wasn't exactly this, but it sure seemed like RUN, RUN, PASS every set of downs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

Thanks for doing that. 

 

I'd be interested to see how many times the Colts ran on 1st (and 2nd) down. That percentage in the first half had to be extremely high. 

 

I know it wasn't exactly this, but it sure seemed like RUN, RUN, PASS every set of downs. 

That's what you're supposed to do in a close game.  Defense was playing well.  We were only one score down until the very end.  BALT was not going to score many points, so field position and execution matters.  Its a different game than in you're playing KC and its the second and third quarters where you know you need to score points to keep up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went Offense C+.  Defense B+.  And picked I don’t know but unhappy.  Frank has to get better at adjustments and reading the game.  He didn’t show consistency with his “rode the hot hand” reasoning for giving Wilkins all the carries last week. He wasn’t hot yesterday. Taylor was looking good outside of the fumble. 
 

The fumble really wounded us though. But I think Frank poured salt in that wound by putting him in the doghouse to give snaps to an ineffective Wilkins.  Give him a chance to right his wrong. Plus you keep his confidence high.  Now who knows where his confidence is at...  
 

Also Frank should have seen Phillip & Johnson just didn’t have it that day.  Dial up more plays for MAC, Pittman, & Pascal. And just like the Jags game, this was never a blowout game. So why are we passing it twice as much as we’re running it?  Be consistent & stick with Taylor, reign in Rivers and make him pound the rock, and we win that game 20-17. 
 

Defense has to get more “sticky” with our zones on 3rd down.  So much so I’d almost rather go press man with a spy, even against Jackson than just let him abuse us over the middle with his tight ends. Had to make him go outside the numbers in the 2nd half. His completion percentage was ridiculous.  Unacceptable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Defense= A

Offense=F

 

I'm not tooting my own horn however I told everyone on here who would listen this team had zero playmakers back before the draft and FA. I have been saying this all the way through. Some of you are now starting to access the same thing. That topic has been addressed and readdressed a multitude of times now. Won't rehash here.

 

I'm telling you what's the most disappointing to me hands down and it is this:

 

The Miami Dolphins are better than us in all phases and it's not even close.  The Dolphins!! Kudos to them though as they were a team that was a hot mess and within 2 years Flores and company have turned that team around and those guys are not only competitive, they are hammering bad and good teams alike. Strong D, Strong O.  They are growing to becoming REAL contenders.

 

Right now, we would get smoked by the Dolphins.... That should tell you everything about where this team really is

 

I would say the Colts, at years end, fire Reich and "SERIOUSLY" make a play for Bienemi before the Texans do or promote Eberflus

 

 

Campbell was on his way to having a very good season. We drafted skill. Players. This is totally false. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Colts have no real identity  on offense. 

Boring and predictable is an Identity,  Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is insane.

OK Everybody talks about scripting the first 15-20 plays. Excellent idea, but why do you do this: 1 find plays that are effective. 2 see what defensive alignments to our offensive alignments. 3 Use this information during the remainder of the game especially in critical 3rd and 4th down situations.

Here is my main problem with the play calling. We run some very effective plays in the first 10 plays, but never use them again the rest of the game.

Yesterday was the worst: with over 7min left in game, needing 2 scores we call running play after running play, using up the clock and basically conceding the game.

I love coach Reich as a person and a coach, BUT we will never be much more than an average team till he relinquishes the play calling, Like I said before when the Eagles went to the SB, Reich was the OC but they did not let him call the plays 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Campbell was on his way to having a very good season. We drafted skill. Players. This is totally false. 

No, this is totally your opinion and my opinion is that we have zero playmakers. They all are hot garbage. You can disagree with my opinion but that doesn't make my statement false.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Don't follow the Pied Piper's.

 

Its funny how the opinion of his play calling was great against the Lions, but bad against Baltimore.  We moved the ball at will the first drive against BALT.  Moved it well enough again to score a FG.  BALT adjusted and then we couldn't do anything.  

 

Contrast our performance against DET with our performance against BALT.  You're saying the difference is that Frank understands his offense one week, but then forgets it the next week.? 

 

I say the difference lies in the low talent level of DET, and the high talent level of BALT.  And ours is about on par with DET, and worse than BALT. 

 

We beat DET because Reich outcoached Patricia with just a bit better overall level of talent. 

 

And on defense, BALT showed us, as they do with a lot of teams, that our back 7 can't stay with their TEs, especially when Lamar extends a play.  That's not coaching, that's talent.

 

What actually happened in the game is very specific.  Leonard and Walker couldn't stay with the TEs in the deep middle in Cover 2 in the 2nd half.  This should be accepted though.  Our defense worked as well as you could ask IMO.  They are going to score some points.  They had 3 long drives in a row and possessed the ball 13:30 to 1:30 in the 3Q.  The defense would have been exhausted.  The way it worked out in 3Q was the worst case scenario.

 

We did a good job of almost everything else.  We only surrendered 17 points to them.  This is better than any other team has done to them and I'd take a 50 50 bet that no team will hold them to less than 17 points and 280 yds again this season.  It was a great Defensive performance.  They basically had to be on the field for a 32 play drive in the 3rd Q.  No team is going to be able to withstand that unscathed.  

 

The result was pretty much as I expected.  We played solid D and match up very well with them there.  

I don't think Rivers has been great, but it was obvious that there were some issues with receivers making the correct hot reads.  I said on here a couple of times that I was concerned with that.  If that is the case, then it is understandable why some of the plays looked so bad for Rivers.  Outside the 2 bad throws, I think he was fine.  We can't run and don't have experienced recievers.  Recipe for this kind of performance when facing  a blitzing team.  I'm giving Rivers the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that the confusion on routes must have been because of the PSquad players, not the guy who is universally lauded at reading Defenses and hot routes.

 

That being said, the organization is in sore need of a QB of the future.  The Defense if good but they are not on track to be the 85 Bears or 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens.  It's going to be a very good D, but we are going to be need to be able to score some points and possess the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What actually happened in the game is very specific.  Leonard and Walker couldn't stay with the TEs in the deep middle in Cover 2 in the 2nd half.  This should be accepted though.  Our defense worked as well as you could ask IMO.  They are going to score some points.  They had 3 long drives in a row and possessed the ball 13:30 to 1:30 in the 3Q.  The defense would have been exhausted.  The way it worked out in 3Q was the worst case scenario.

 

We did a good job of almost everything else.  We only surrendered 17 points to them.  This is better than any other team has done to them and I'd take a 50 50 bet that no team will hold them to less than 17 points and 280 yds again this season.  It was a great Defensive performance.  They basically had to be on the field for a 32 play drive in the 3rd Q.  No team is going to be able to withstand that unscathed.  

 

The result was pretty much as I expected.  We played solid D and match up very well with them there.  

I don't think Rivers has been great, but it was obvious that there were some issues with receivers making the correct hot reads.  I said on here a couple of times that I was concerned with that.  If that is the case, then it is understandable why some of the plays looked so bad for Rivers.  Outside the 2 bad throws, I think he was fine.  We can't run and don't have experienced receivers.  Recipe for this kind of performance when facing  a blitzing team.  I'm giving Rivers the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that the confusion on routes must have been because of the PSquad players, not the guy who is universally lauded at reading Defenses and hot routes.

 

That being said, the organization is in sore need of a QB of the future.  The Defense if good but they are not on track to be the 85 Bears or 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens.  It's going to be a very good D, but we are going to be need to be able to score some points and possess the ball.

 

Nick Boyle had 46 yards and Mark Andrews 22 yards, that is definitely acceptable in the long scheme of things, they had 7 receptions to WRs and 7 to TEs, none of which stretched the field. It was the up tempo offense the Ravens started with the 3rd quarter (something I wanted us to do more often to keep them from substituting) allowed them to throw it to Snead and Marquise Brown. To be honest, their WR position, outside Marquise Brown is not spectacular whatsoever. Their TE position has hands but not speed, adequate against a very good D like ours. Their weapon is Lamar's legs and their RBs and he has shown he is a streaky passer and does most of his damage outside the pocket running or passing. Our D did a very good job for the most part.

 

The cupboard of skill positions on our end is not stocked with high end talent that they have to account for ANY skill position player blowing the doors open. John Harbaugh adjusted and we could not counter his adjustments, that was the bottom line, did not have the talent to do so.

 

If the ball gets there fast, Marcus Peters does not have time to turn around and make an adjustment to even be in position to make the pick. If you had veteran WRs, you could run a timing offense where you can release the ball before they come out of the break knowing they will be in their spot against elite Ds. But with newbies, you have to throw it up more often than running a good timing offense, or have the arm to gun it. We know Rivers does not have the arm to gun it, unless he has goads of time and the separation continues throughout the route.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What actually happened in the game is very specific.  Leonard and Walker couldn't stay with the TEs in the deep middle in Cover 2 in the 2nd half.  This should be accepted though.  Our defense worked as well as you could ask IMO.  They are going to score some points.  They had 3 long drives in a row and possessed the ball 13:30 to 1:30 in the 3Q.  The defense would have been exhausted.  The way it worked out in 3Q was the worst case scenario.

 

We did a good job of almost everything else.  We only surrendered 17 points to them.  This is better than any other team has done to them and I'd take a 50 50 bet that no team will hold them to less than 17 points and 280 yds again this season.  It was a great Defensive performance.  They basically had to be on the field for a 32 play drive in the 3rd Q.  No team is going to be able to withstand that unscathed.  

 

The result was pretty much as I expected.  We played solid D and match up very well with them there.  

I don't think Rivers has been great, but it was obvious that there were some issues with receivers making the correct hot reads.  I said on here a couple of times that I was concerned with that.  If that is the case, then it is understandable why some of the plays looked so bad for Rivers.  Outside the 2 bad throws, I think he was fine.  We can't run and don't have experienced recievers.  Recipe for this kind of performance when facing  a blitzing team.  I'm giving Rivers the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that the confusion on routes must have been because of the PSquad players, not the guy who is universally lauded at reading Defenses and hot routes.

 

That being said, the organization is in sore need of a QB of the future.  The Defense if good but they are not on track to be the 85 Bears or 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens.  It's going to be a very good D, but we are going to be need to be able to score some points and possess the ball.

All year our defense has been vulnerable to the underneath middle.  That tends to happen with a 43, and it falls more on the ILBs and Ss.   Walker, or Okerke in Walkers absence, Leonard, and primarily Willis.  other than Leonard, we have 4th round talent there, at best, so the middle D absolutely needs Leonard. 

 

Our strength of the defense is the dline now with Buckner and how he improves the play of the other rotational players, but the two CBs, two LBs, and one S are the weak spots.  We didn't see the CBs exposed too much yesterday because the deep/edge passing game isn't really what Lamar does.

 

The offense is bad.  I doubt that any opposing d coordinator is very concerned about our deep strike capability.  Not only is Rivers less mobile, but his throwing motion has always required him to square up to where he is throwing, like a golfer needing to line up his body correctly before he swings.  Just doesn't work as well when the other team blitzes and he has players in his face.  No chemistry with the revolving door receivers doesn't help either.

 

I see issues with Frank, but there is no way I can judge him based upon the offensive players he has been dealt since he got here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Nick Boyle had 46 yards and Mark Andrews 22 yards, that is definitely acceptable in the long scheme of things, they had 7 receptions to WRs and 7 to TEs, none of which stretched the field. It was the up tempo offense the Ravens started with the 3rd quarter (something I wanted us to do more often to keep them from substituting) allowed them to throw it to Snead and Marquise Brown. To be honest, their WR position, outside Marquise Brown is not spectacular whatsoever. Their TE position has hands but not speed, adequate against a very good D like ours. Their weapon is Lamar's legs and their RBs and he has shown he is a streaky passer and does most of his damage outside the pocket running or passing. Our D did a very good job for the most part.

 

The cupboard of skill positions on our end is not stocked with high end talent that they have to account for ANY skill position player blowing the doors open. John Harbaugh adjusted and we could not counter his adjustments, that was the bottom line, did not have the talent to do so.

 

If the ball gets there fast, Marcus Peters does not have time to turn around and make an adjustment to even be in position to make the pick. If you had veteran WRs, you could run a timing offense where you can release the ball before they come out of the break knowing they will be in their spot against elite Ds. But with newbies, you have to throw it up more often than running a good timing offense, or have the arm to gun it. We know Rivers does not have the arm to gun it, unless he has goads of time and the separation continues throughout the route.

 

I actually don't mean deep middle over the top but the middle in between the dropping cover 2 safeties and the LBs.  That is the soft spot in Cover 2.  The soft zone worked really well this week.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onebad150 said:

Here is my main problem with the play calling. We run some very effective plays in the first 10 plays, but never use them again the rest of the game.

 

I really agree with this part. The first two drives the Colts were destroying the Ravens on off tackle plays (4 of them and the WORST was for 9 yards {and a fumble unfortunately}) and the Colts just stopped. Why? 

 

That's what drives me crazy about the play calling. We seem to adjust back to what we THINK should work, not adjust to what IS working. I understand getting away those plays if the Ravens stop it 2-3 times but Frank never stops running it directly up the middle even though they stopped it 10 times. Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor is a volume back.  He's being used as a backup to a middling starter with only 12.5 carries per game.  He has a 95% catch rate (18 of 19) which is best on the team.  He should be featured just like Jacobs, Elliot, Gurley and Henry.  Commit to the run and our best RB.  20+ carries per game, 5+ receptions and then our line will be best utilized and our pass game will open up.  

 

Of the most rushes running backs for season: 

 

Henry 4.6 ypc  182

Jacobs 3.7        161

Gurley 3.7        159

Elliot 3.8           150

 

Taylor 3.9 isn't so bad.  But only 108 rushes (I found 100 on one site, 108 on another).  

 

(Note some backs such as Cook have missed games but he's getting 20+ carries a game and crushing it because he plays enough to break big runs. We don't offer JT that). 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave the Offense a D, although injuries have certainly played a part.  But Reich has been horrendous imo with the play calling.

 

Defense a solid B+.  Can't complain other than the lax pass coverage at times.  And I don't blame the players for that.  I think the Colts have enough talent and speed on D to rival the Seattle defense's of 8 years ago.  The problem is they are coached to play way too passively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Facts:  The QB is old, immobile, and has to square up and set his feet to  get any zip on the pass.  The RBs are either inexperienced or are marginal late round talent.  The WRs are mid to late round or waiver wire talent, roll on and off the roster, and scheme can't make up for that.  (The only good one today was the second rounder...golly...what a surprise). The TEs are mid to late round or UDFA talent and the one consistent player has chronic injury issues.

 

The oline seems to have taken a step back, revealing how its not really possible to have a perennially dominating oline in the NFL.

 

Play calling could be better, especially the 4th down play calls since he seems to like to go for them, but the main issue with the Colts offense is not Frank Reich.   Its talent.  Overabundance of talent in less important areas, but woefully poor in most.

How dare u!!  U know what u r saying?  U r casting a shadow on Ballard and his acquisition of talent.  Blasphemy!!! Sarcasm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Facts:  The QB is old, immobile, and has to square up and set his feet to  get any zip on the pass.  The RBs are either inexperienced or are marginal late round talent.  The WRs are mid to late round or waiver wire talent, roll on and off the roster, and scheme can't make up for that.  (The only good one today was the second rounder...golly...what a surprise). The TEs are mid to late round or UDFA talent and the one consistent player has chronic injury issues.

 

The oline seems to have taken a step back, revealing how its not really possible to have a perennially dominating oline in the NFL.

 

Play calling could be better, especially the 4th down play calls since he seems to like to go for them, but the main issue with the Colts offense is not Frank Reich.   Its talent.  Overabundance of talent in less important areas, but woefully poor in most.

Our best player on offence is a pan caking left guard who they r going to pay 18 million a year. He is so pivotal to the line that they are basically last in run blocking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We have the 32nd ranked strength of schedule. We've played some horrible Os, with horrible QBs and horrible OLs.

 

We're top 10-15, not top 5. Our run D is very good. Pass D is not near as good as our #5 rating. We made Minshew look like a surgeon due to charmin soft zone. Today we let a 60% QB throw for 82%. Any QB in a dink and dunk scheme eats us up. 

I really think we r going to lose our next 5 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest problem is Reich and Ballard are loyal to there player and keep them to long. Bellick is loyal to his players however doesn't keep them to around way to long. Doyle looks a step to slow. Ty Hilton isn't the same player. Signed an old qb past his prime. Need I say more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How dare u!!  U know what u r saying?  U r casting a shadow on Ballard and his acquisition of talent.  Blasphemy!!! Sarcasm.

I'm not going that far.  I assume many here are going there because many things in most threads always seem to get back to judging Ballard.

 

The fact is that Frank has not had many offensive weapons to work with after Luck retired....for various reasons.  I'm not pinning anything on Ballard, just stating a fact about Frank's inventory of talent he must deploy each week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Our best player on offence is a pan caking left guard who they r going to pay 18 million a year. He is so pivotal to the line that they are basically last in run blocking.

I was going to start a thread requesting the following information from respondents.....Name our top three players on offense right now (meaning don't look at TY's or AC's history, but now)  

 

I'll bet the answers would be revealing.  I'd bet number three would be either Kelly (our C) or Rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 3:17 AM, VaAllDay757 said:

Lol ok....again I told you if this team was completely trash (which they're not) and the players were not playing to their expectations then you should ask those questions but not after a loss against a good team

It's pretty obvious by the polling/voting that the majority of folks either want the play calling stripped from Reich, or are not sure of his long term viability. It's not just this game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 3:21 AM, ScotColt said:

 

Agree here, our run defense has been fantastic and I had us beating the ravens because of this, unfortunately not to be.... Our pass defense leaves something to be desired, also maybe it's just me but I feel like our pass rush wasn't great yesterday either. 

 

Loved seeing Leonard back, he really is awesome and a constant problem. I feel like Jackson was scared of him the whole game lol.

Yep. Aside from AQM and Autry, the two we have the least expectation, not a lot from Buckner and Houston. We only had 2 QBHs the entire game. Will be interesting to see our pressure and blitzing numbers tomorrow when the advanced stats come out. I know what I expect to see lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, lollygagger8 said:

 

Thanks for doing that. 

 

I'd be interested to see how many times the Colts ran on 1st (and 2nd) down. That percentage in the first half had to be extremely high. 

 

I know it wasn't exactly this, but it sure seemed like RUN, RUN, PASS every set of downs. 

Not sure how much digging I'll do, I'm still pretty salty lol. Right now I'm waiting on the advanced stats to come out tomorrow. I might start on the play by play a bit later tonight if I get bored with my DVR/Netflix lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's pretty obvious by the polling/voting that the majority of folks either want the play calling stripped from Reich, or are not sure of his long term viability. It's not just this game.

Yeah they're saying that after one loss....but when we win there's no issue with the playcalling....my only issue with frank right now is not completely committing to taylor with the run game 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reich is do loved by many fans on here and if you speak against him get ready for the vitriolic responses. However if people don’t question his play calling a few times a game then it’s time to upgrade your eyewear prescription. He really baffles me how he responds to situations like scripted plays in the second half that is like banging your head against the wall and keeps on going. The second half last week is case in point. Not just the 4th down play but he had no answer when we had the ball. I like Frank but he needs to pull it together 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah they're saying that after one loss....but when we win there's no issue with the playcalling....my only issue with frank right now is not completely committing to taylor with the run game 

There are plenty of folks that have been talking about play calling all year. There are plenty of folks that have been questioning our scheme and play calling on D as well. Sure there are less voices when we win, but those that know football, and understand the level of competition we've played, have questioned a lot a lot of things since the 1st game. 

 

And we have arguably the most talent on D we've had in a long time. Certainly the most talent along the DL. Yet Houston, through 8 games has only 3.5 sacks (he had 11 last year). Buckner has only 2.5. We've played some horrible Os, and very poor OLs, yet we're on track to have less sacks than we did last year. That's not lack of talent, or poor execution. We're stunting less, and blitzing less. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

There are plenty of folks that have been talking about play calling all year. There are plenty of folks that have been questioning our scheme and play calling on D as well. Sure there are less voices when we win, but those that know football, and understand the level of competition we've played, have questioned a lot a lot of things since the 1st game. 

 

And we have arguably the most talent on D we've had in a long time. Certainly the most talent along the DL. Yet Houston, through 8 games has only 3.5 sacks (he had 11 last year). Buckner has only 2.5. We've played some horrible Os, and very poor OLs, yet we're on track to have less sacks than we did last year. That's not lack of talent, or poor execution. We're stunting less, and blitzing less. 

Well the defensive playcalling is not on frank he let's eberflus do his thing....we never really blitz before and the scheme is simple but the defense is top 5 tho so if ain't broke why fix it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 6:33 AM, DougDew said:

Don't follow the Pied Piper's.

 

Its funny how the opinion of his play calling was great against the Lions, but bad against Baltimore.  We moved the ball at will the first drive against BALT.  Moved it well enough again to score a FG.  BALT adjusted and then we couldn't do anything.  

 

Contrast our performance against DET with our performance against BALT.  You're saying the difference is that Frank understands his offense one week, but then forgets it the next week.? 

 

I say the difference lies in the low talent level of DET, and the high talent level of BALT.  And ours is about on par with DET, and worse than BALT. 

 

We beat DET because Reich outcoached Patricia with just a bit better overall level of talent. 

 

And on defense, BALT showed us, as they do with a lot of teams, that our back 7 can't stay with their TEs, especially when Lamar extends a play.  That's not coaching, that's talent.

 

I agree with this, but I am not sure how good their TEs are supposed to be, but I  think you have to play Cover2 v. Jackson most of the time and TEs love that because the soft spot is the deep middle. 

 

We still only conceded 280 yds and 17 pts to them though.

 

We got profound O problems IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

There are plenty of folks that have been talking about play calling all year. There are plenty of folks that have been questioning our scheme and play calling on D as well. Sure there are less voices when we win, but those that know football, and understand the level of competition we've played, have questioned a lot a lot of things since the 1st game. 

 

And we have arguably the most talent on D we've had in a long time. Certainly the most talent along the DL. Yet Houston, through 8 games has only 3.5 sacks (he had 11 last year). Buckner has only 2.5. We've played some horrible Os, and very poor OLs, yet we're on track to have less sacks than we did last year. That's not lack of talent, or poor execution. We're stunting less, and blitzing less. 

 

Yeah man but I think we have the top ranked D in football, and just gave up 17 to Balt.  We get turnovers at a high rate, etc. so sometimes people who think they know football are really not all that knowledgable about it.

 

When it comes down to it East, anyone who's coached at any level knows this profundity:

 

It's not the Xs and the Os, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Well the defensive playcalling is not on frank he let's eberflus do his thing....we never really blitz before and the scheme is simple but the defense is top 5 tho so if ain't broke why fix it?

Getting circular here. Like I said, we haven't played anyone. Our SOS is near the bottom. I'm not happy getting an A+ in remedial reading. Need to be able to grade well in advanced lit as well. 

 

And never blitzing before, doesn't mean blitzing more now, wouldn't help. 

 

BTW, we have no idea what Frank does or doesn't do when it comes to the D. Looking at Flus's background, it's very different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...