Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bright side of Peters pick?

Lucky Colts Fan

As painful as that call was, the bright side is that the refs are apparently going to be calling passes that way now, right?

Whether it's an offensive player or defensive player, as long as they have control of the ball, two feet down, and take a third step (football move), then it doesn't matter if they "complete" the catch when going to the ground, right?

Hopefully that means that we, as fans, never have to sit through ridiculously long replay-reviews by officials trying to figure out if the receiver "maintained control", or if the ball moved in the receivers' hands when going to the ground, right?

e285f0bc2c93d26b88c6e3a4c1289fd3_w200.gi

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

I’m a Ravens fan and I thought the call was bad. Should have been incomplete pass. 

Good win for you guys. We still couldn't do much on offense in the 2nd half. I thought the Taylor fumble really swung momentum. Colts could've went up 2 scores early, instead tie game. That INT call was just the cherry on top lol.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good win for you guys. We still couldn't do much on offense in the 2nd half. I thought the Taylor fumble really swung momentum. Colts could've went up 2 scores early, instead tie game. That INT call was just the cherry on top lol.

Thanks. The Colts defense played a great first half. We did the same thing against the Steelers last game in the first half, up 17-7 and losing. Good luck against the Titans. Because of last week, we are behind the eight ball with the Steelers. Lots of football to be played. 

If the Taylor fumble didn't swing momentum, and I'm not sure it did, the INT overturn certainly did.  Colts did nothing positive after that, including the head-scratching decision to go for it on 4th down when they were in FG range down only 11.

Colts defense deserves better.  It will be incumbent on Ballard to make this offense better in the off-season.  This one is not going to take them very far.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My question is if the Colts recovered the ‘fumble’ would we have challenged? 

Doubtful, and neither would Harbaugh have. Johnson didn't even try to recover because it was incomplete, and the Raven who "recovered" it never tried to return it, nor was he ever tackled. It was a B.S. call all the way, and ended up costing us a touchdown. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It depends on what mood the REFS are in, seriously. I think they call what they want at times depending on the teams. I wonder had that been Lamar had that been called an INT?

That call was total bull excrement. I agree with the bolded statement.

28 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

If the Taylor fumble didn't swing momentum, and I'm not sure it did, the INT overturn certainly did.  Colts did nothing positive after that, including the head-scratching decision to go for it on 4th down when they were in FG range down only 11.

Colts defense deserves better.  It will be incumbent on Ballard to make this offense better in the off-season.  This one is not going to take them very far.

We need to just keep drafting WR after WR until we get it figured out. It can’t be overstated how much not having Mack has her this running game.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

We need to just keep drafting WR after WR until we get it figured out. It can’t be overstated how much not having Mack has her this running game.

Oh I would agree.  I think we are just now seeing how much Mack meant to this team.  But if I remember correctly, there were a lot of questions about Mack his first year or so.  Same questions I'm seeing about Taylor now.  Taylor will be OK, just needs more reps and more time in this offense so he feels comfortable enough to use his speed and toughness, not trying to think too much.

WR and QB HAVE to be priorities at this point.  If Castonzo walks, then LT too.  Ballard is going to have his hands full.  Again, Luck retiring did him ZERO favors.  I had said it was going to take Ballard a minimum of 3 years to get this team competitive and that was BEFORE we knew about Luck.  It might take him a couple more years to get this team Superbowl ready.

8 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:Ballard is going to have his hands full.  Again, Luck retiring did him ZERO favors.  I had said it was going to take Ballard a minimum of 3 years to get this team competitive and that was BEFORE we knew about Luck.  It might take him a couple more years to get this team Superbowl ready.

The thing is IMO its going take longer than that if Ballard continues to avoid taking chances with guys in areas of need with talent like Laveon Bell who are available for nothing and continues to fill locker room with Boy Scouts only.

5 minutes ago, SR711 said:

The thing is IMO its going take longer than that if Ballard continues to avoid taking chances with guys in areas of need with talent like Laveon Bell who are available for nothing and continues to fill locker room with Boy Scouts only.

We are 5-3 and still in decent shape. I wouldn't call Nelson, Leonard, Houston, Buckner Boy Scouts??

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are 5-3 and still in decent shape. I wouldn't call Nelson, Leonard, Houston, Buckner Boy Scouts??

My point was that due to a number of season ending injuries to some of our most talented players at skill positions we have holes that are limiting what our offense is able to do especially against some of better teams in our conference.  These are the same teams we are going to have to compete with and beat if we want to advance in the playoffs and (with the way the schedule looks coming up) even make the playoffs.  

IMO Contending in the NFL requires “rolling the dice” on questionable character guys especially if it potentially improves a critical area that a current roster is deficient in.

1 minute ago, SR711 said:

My point was that due to a number of season ending injuries to some of our most talented players at skill positions we have holes that are limiting what our offense is able to do especially against some of better teams in our conference.  These are the same teams we are going to have to compete with and beat if we want to advance in the playoffs and (with the way the schedule looks coming up) even make the playoffs.  

IMO Contending in the NFL requires “rolling the dice” on questionable character guys especially if it potentially improves a critical area that a current roster is deficient in.

There is really nobody out there though that is worth picking up. I am not sure Bell would've even made a difference. He doesn't look like the same player he was 3 years ago.

37 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was such a terrible call and it changed the game. The defense had to go right back out there after forcing the fumble. Might of been game over if we could of scored. It was a bad throw too though. 

It was underthrown, but the wide receiver turned into a defender and he knocked it away, resulting in an incomplete pass call.

When it was challenged and inexplicably overturned,  it did change the game and that's just one of several plays that Reich needs to be sending to the League office in search of an explanation of calls, and non calls on plays that resulted in injury.

I'm more confused now than ever about this whole "football move" business. Is the ref going to get punished for this, because I want the NFL to draw a line in the sand now on how they feel about this call so as a viewer I can better interpret the rules.

To me, I saw no football move; his momentum was carrying him forward, but the defender wasn't facing up-field.

17 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

The NFL will likely come out tomorrow and say they screwed up, doing the Colts ZERO favors in the process.  Same tune, different station.

I'd be surprised if they would admit that, it would just tick people off more like when the Saints were robbed in that NFC Championship game. 

I've been speculating whether that pass which was ruled incomplete on the field would've been ruled an interception if Brees, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers or Mahomes had thrown it - I seriously doubt it! The NFL definitely has their favorites, and Philip has never been one of them.

That was such a bad call. I can't even elaborate much more. No way that was a pick, regardless of it looks like it was.

It's like they're afraid to make an eye test call nowadays. Stop playing every questionable play in super slo motion. Sometimes you gotta use your eyes I'm sorry. I love replay, but this is another example of over analyzing a play. 

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Whether it's an offensive player or defensive player, as long as they have control of the ball, two feet down, and take a third step (football move), then it doesn't matter if they "complete" the catch when going to the ground, right?

Correct. If it comes out after that, then it is a fumble at that point.

5 hours ago, Knuckles79 said:

The ball was already moving before he made a football move. Should've been incomplete pass especially since that is what was called first!

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was such a terrible call and it changed the game. The defense had to go right back out there after forcing the fumble. Might of been game over if we could of scored. It was a bad throw too though. 

Alberto Riveron comment on video-

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Football Gods control the refs. Whoever their smiling on in that particular game, week, that's who usually gets the calls.

But this game looked legit and probably was just a Bad call. 

People have to remember... everyone was upset at Megatron and Dez catches that were ruled non catches. The NFL, in their infuriating wisdom, decided not to change their rules but revise their interpretation of them and loosen the criteria to fit. All in their attempt to allow it to be a catch if most all NFL fan Jane's and Joe's at the sports bar thought it was a catch. 

Yes, in the NFL today, the Dez Bryant non-catch and the Megatron TD that was 'overturned'  would now be a catch and a touchdown. The Calvin Johnson rule has been rescinded with out a rule change. However only when there is-

1. Control of the catch

2. Two feet down (or body part)

3. Time   (just enough to initiate a football move, but it is the time that is needed, not necessarily any move)

After the first two items above, how much time is needed?  Riveron has said enough for-

•        A player to begin to tuck the ball away
  •        A 3rd or more steps to be taken
  •        Reaching or extending of the ball
  •        An attempt to ward off a defender
  •        Time for the ability to perform such an act as above (don't actually have to do so, just deemed they could have)
  •  

In essence, the 'complete the catch all the way through the process' part has been removed and replaced with time. Pretty much, the NFL brought the 'Football Move' back into play... or at least the time do do so.

This alteration was approved by the team owners in spring of 2018 with a 32 - 0 vote.

It was a dumb call the NFL will probably say it was a mistake and no we will continue to have horrible calls all the time, it really is the worst and most frustrating part about football.

How much power the refs have to change the game is archaic but its just something we deal with as football fans.

So the way I look at it  the throw was horrible and it should have been picked anyways. I put this one on Rivers not the refs.

I did not see the game. i have been reading the comments from everyone. after seeing the slowmotion footage I would reluctantly agree with the call. There was visual evidence of the defender back pedalling 3 steps before loosing the ball before hitting the ground. The only part I wonder about is the recovery part?

1 hour ago, MCurtis32 said:

I did not see the game. i have been reading the comments from everyone. after seeing the slowmotion footage I would reluctantly agree with the call. There was visual evidence of the defender back pedalling 3 steps before loosing the ball before hitting the ground. The only part I wonder about is the recovery part?

Here's the recovery part.

i6rOjA5.jpg

As you can see, the Ref called it incomplete though.

1 hour ago, MCurtis32 said:

everyone knows the Colts always get screwed at home games by the refs.

This one is on Alberto Riveron, not the Refs.  But by the 'new rules' implemented in 2018 (that really aren't) he's probably right.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

As you can see, the Ref called it incomplete though.

That's a great point, and IMO, why it shouldn't have been overturned. The argument can be made the Ravens only "recovered" the fumble because the players know you cant recover an incomplete pass so they didn't attempt to. That's 100% the refs fault.

Regardless of what we believe regarding a catch or not the incomplete call was made and the players reacted accordingly.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man that guy (supposed to be expert on rules) they always check in with is a complete joke. Gene Steratore I think is his name? 

All he ever does is agree with the call on the field regardless of how horrible the call was to begin with. 

I liked when Dez Bryant came in the game and the announcers brought up the "Dez no catch play".  They went on to talk about how stupid it was to call that incomplete and then asked Gene about it...  "I was the one who reviewed that play and ruled it an incomplete" and then tried to explain why....  there was a brief awkward silence.   Gene still claims he got that call right too.  

Archived