Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today could be huge for the Colts.... What to cheer for.

EastStreet

This is easily the biggest week for the Colts thus far in 2020. It could be very very good, or very bad depending on how things fall out.

Below are some obvious and not so obvious things we should cheer for today.

1) Colts (5-2) win - Obviously we need take care of business. A win now at minimum keeps us tied with TN before our game next week. It also puts us up a game over Baltimore, and gives us a huge tie breaker over them.

2) Titans (5-2) loss - We need Chicago to do us a solid. TN is -6.5 favorites over Chicago. TN squeaks by all the time, but never gives up. Big ask, but a Chicago win could be huge.

3) Buffalo (6-2) loss - Seattle is -3 over Buffalo. Buffalo is at home, so should be a close one. A Colts win, and Buffalo loss puts us up a half game. Buffalo is currently 3rd in the AFC.

--------- late afternoon -----------------------------

4) Raiders (4-3) loss - They are one game behind us, and visit the Chargers today. Even line. We have to visit them later this year, and need all the cushion possible. Go Herbert.

5) Dolphins (4-3) loss - Same as the Raiders, a game behind us. Need the cushion. They are at the Cards -5.5. Go Kyler!!

6) Pitt (7-0) loss - I know, very unlikely. -14.5 and playing the Cowboys. Hoping for the long shot though, as it's in Dallas. Will Gilbert start, and give them a spark?

Pipe dream - KC losing to Carolina at home... lol

Maybe it's my relatively low expectations but I kind of don't think this game has a ton of downside for us. I consider the Ravens as one of the legitimate contenders in the NFL this year and I don't consider the Colts to be at that level so... if we lose, to me it won't be all that unexpected. It would just confirm that we need more firepower(better/younger QB?, more weapons...) to contend. 

And if we win... then maybe ... maybe we have more of a shot at a deep playoff run than I'm currently giving us. 

East Street is Right, though, about the chance for the Colts to make a big move today in the playoff seedings. Lots of critical games being played. And if the Colts do win, they will head into Thursday’s game with a real chance to take control of the AFC South. Given how they looked after the first game, who would have believed it? 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

This is easily the biggest week for the Colts thus far in 2020. It could be very very good, or very bad depending on how things fall out.

1) Colts (5-2) win - Obviously we need take care of business. A win now at minimum keeps us tied with TN before our game next week. It also puts us up a game over Baltimore, and gives us a huge tie breaker over them.

2) Titans (5-2) loss - We need Chicago to do us a solid. TN is -6.5 favorites over Chicago. TN squeaks by all the time, but never gives up. Big ask, but a Chicago win could be huge.

3) Buffalo (6-2) loss - Seattle is -3 over Buffalo. Buffalo is at home, so should be a close one. A Colts win, and Buffalo loss puts us up a half game. Buffalo is currently 3rd in the AFC.

4) Raiders (4-3) loss - They are one game behind us, and visit the Chargers today. Even line. We have to visit them later this year, and need all the cushion possible. Go Herbert.

5) Dolphins (4-3) loss - Same as the Raiders, a game behind us. Need the cushion. They are at the Cards -5.5. Go Kyler!!

6) Pitt (7-0) loss - I know, very unlikely. -14.5 and playing the Cowboys. Hoping for the long shot though, as it's in Dallas. Will Gilbert start, and give them a spark?

either way if the colts go to the playoffs and get hot , they will have to go through kc  .  playing in the snow i dont think will be in rivers strength because of his arm .  This is why the colts have to get better at running the ball for sloppy snow games in pitts or kc

How many wins does Tenn have since losing Lewan their best O Lineman by quite a bit and Watson's protector as the Left  Tackle ?  Did someone say zero ? Interesting, good luck with that vs Mack and his partners in crime.

I expect Chargers to beat Raiders, in fact I think Chargers go on a late run and could be fighting for a w.c. spot at the end. They have talent and Herbert while making rookie mistakes is playing very well for rookie. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Maybe it's my relatively low expectations but I kind of don't think this game has a ton of downside for us. I consider the Ravens as one of the legitimate contenders in the NFL this year and I don't consider the Colts to be at that level so... if we lose, to me it won't be all that unexpected. It would just confirm that we need more firepower(better/younger QB?, more weapons...) to contend. 

And if we win... then maybe ... maybe we have more of a shot at a deep playoff run than I'm currently giving us. 

The downside would be us getting crushed. That could lose our early season confidence and start a 4 game slide or a mid season collapse. I think we need to be at least competitive to at least suggest we have any business in the playoffs. I'm optimistic that we will do well against the run as long as we can keep Jackson from romping over us. 

I am as unsure about INdy now as I was before.  I thought we’d have to wait to this game and month to judge the team since the schedule came out.  I didn’t think we could compete with the Ravens earlier in the season.

However, my rating of of Balt has gone way down.  They are averaging 3 points less in a league that is averaging about 3 points more than in 2019.  I’m guessing figuring out the gimmick offense is a big part of that as well as injury.  Plus the OLine issues.

I would think our d would match up well.

Rivers should be able to hurt their blitz with hot reads.  I am a vocal critic and skeptic  of Taylor ‘s rushing, but he and Hines should be effective catching dump offs and setting up screens Behind the blitz.  Hopefully, we get JT some open space and a head of steam in the passing game.

i don’t see him being effective running.  The Ravens blitz from any where on any down and I think Taylor will look even more indecisive.  On the other hand , their might be a clear lane or two he can really exploit.

bottom line I don’t know how they will react to Jackson’s video game agility or if we have experienced enough receivers to execute this read routes when blitzers vacate their zones.  TY is a big loss in this type of game IMO.

other than that I like our chances.

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Besides Indy winning, we need Nick Foles to have a good game. He should think that he's back in the playoffs, and dominate Tennessee. 

A lot of fans are crying to put Trubisky back in as the starter. 

It has become apparent that Foles is not a starting QB.  (that has been said in this forum quite a few times) 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

The downside would be us getting crushed. That could lose our early season confidence and start a 4 game slide or a mid season collapse. I think we need to be at least competitive to at least suggest we have any business in the playoffs. I'm optimistic that we will do well against the run as long as we can keep Jackson from romping over us. 

Such an optomist.   LOL

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Rivers looking good so far. He's had to deal with a fumble/score, and some drops on key plays. He's definitely outplaying Jackson.

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

East Street is Right, though, about the chance for the Colts to make a big move today in the playoff seedings. Lots of critical games being played. And if the Colts do win, they will head into Thursday’s game with a real chance to take control of the AFC South. Given how they looked after the first game, who would have believed it? 

leading at half. should be up by more.

i like it

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

either way if the colts go to the playoffs and get hot , they will have to go through kc  .  playing in the snow i dont think will be in rivers strength because of his arm .  This is why the colts have to get better at running the ball for sloppy snow games in pitts or kc

KC not looking so tough today

2 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I'd like to see the running game get going today. I wanna see another clean game from Rivers. Defense to get a few more turnovers and hopefully a pick 6.

it's a bad day/game to have high hopes for the running game.

taylor does have 5.2 AVG though, which is more than I expected. that fumble though... 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wow... So basically the only "good" gonna happen today is the Steelers. Raiders gone win. Phins gone win. 

Even your pipe dream.. lol well chiefs finally JUST scored a TD to give em a two possession lead

Rivers looking good so far. He's had to deal with a fumble/score, and some drops on key plays. He's definitely outplaying Jackson.

I don't think our offense (and Rivers) has the consistency against better defenses and we saw that in the second half. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think our offense (and Rivers) has the consistency against better defenses and we saw that in the second half. 

Frank was the biggest reason today. So much "bad" in all areas. Game plan. Play calling. Personnel choice. Adjustments. Stubbornness. 

Frank was the biggest reason today. So much "bad" in all areas. Game plan. Play calling. Personnel choice. Adjustments. Stubbornness. 

The game plan and play calling were masterful in the first half before the fumble. Everything worked as planned.  That changed everything.  The defensive game plan was masterful. 

I have a hard time understanding your play calling argument.  They ran all kinds of crap that worked in the 1st half.  The o basically had no 3rd Q with the phantom INT a 3 and out and 3 ling Ravens drives.

They adjusted to our cover 2 after the half, Hitting TEs down the middle, which you would expect, Jackson made we bent and broke on a couple plays but I don’t get your argument .  The personnel on offense was the problem.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The game plan and play calling were masterful in the first half before the fumble. Everything worked as planned.  That changed everything.  The defensive game plan was masterful. 

I have a hard time understanding your play calling argument.  They ran all kinds of crap that worked in the 1st half.  The o basically had no 3rd Q with the phantom INT a 3 and out and 3 ling Ravens drives.

They adjusted to our cover 2 after the half, Hitting TEs down the middle, which you would expect, Jackson made we bent and broke on a couple plays but I don’t get your argument .  The personnel on offense was the problem.

Masterful O play calling in the 1H..... lol. Nah. First series was mostly predictable runs and short throws. Basically a 4 and out. That's horrible for your first drive that was scripted. Not taking advantage of the CB situation was just horrible.

Second series for the TD was the only good mix, but still was mostly short stuff. The 2 down series that ended in a fumble/TD, was followed by 2 series totaling 8 plays and less than 40 yards. The FG drive was OK, but extended by a big penalty. We only had one nice chunk that series, and it stalled due to predictability (1 run and 2 short passes). 

Sorry, that's far from masterful.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

totally horrible lol.. 

Jerry had to be cussing

or perhaps he's thinking of draft picks now lol

Right now the Steelers have a horse shoe up their you know what. How about the missed FG before half, they get a false start on themselves, and then kick a 59 yarder ? 

Archived