Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give Taylor time...

Rolltide_gocolts

On 11/9/2020 at 9:26 PM, Nickster said:

He was benched the week before for sucking.  Watch the fumble run again.  It epitomizes why JT is Trent Richardson.  Look at what a poor and completely incompetent decision it was to run into the bad angle safety rather than run to the corner for at least 20 if not a score.

too early to judge at this point.  Colts need to keep going with a RB committee.  Stick with the hot hand.  If JT can be the hot hand so be it.  

I will admit that I have been a bit disappointed in JT so far.   Although the comparisons to Trent are not really justified at this point, I will confess that I see the similarities.  i would be thrilled if JT put up rookie Trent numbers (950 rushing yards, 11 TD's, 51 receptions for 367 yards and a TD.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As has been noted before by many others, Mack struggled his first year.   Eventually, Taylor will be all we hope he is.   It certainly doesn’t help that the O-Line isn’t run blocking all that well.

Patience will be rewarded. 

I noticed in the Titans game the tight ends are not doing a good job run blocking either.  Also franks play calling with the run game has been suspect so there are a lot of issues right now.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I noticed in the Titans game the tight ends are not doing a good job run blocking either.  Also franks play calling with the run game has been suspect so there are a lot of issues right now.  

Why do you think Frank’s run game calling has been suspect?    I think the O-lines run blocking has been poor.    

Taylor has been on, but somewhat disappointing.    Wilkins has had moments, but on balance is heading for his worst year.   Only Hines has been pretty good of late,  and most fans here don’t like the way he’s being used.

I think the constant is the lack of holes, the lack of domination by the line.   But I’m operating this year in a very small subset of actual viewing.   Would like to read your views.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think Frank’s run game calling has been suspect?    I think the O-lines run blocking has been poor.    

Taylor has been on, but somewhat disappointing.    Wilkins has had moments, but on balance is heading for his worst year.   Only Hines has been pretty good of late,  and most fans here don’t like the way he’s being used.

I think the constant is the lack of holes, the lack of domination by the line.   But I’m operating this year in a very small subset of actual viewing.   Would like to read your views.   

Continuing to call shot guns into the center of the line out of packed in formation that hasn’t worked all year.  After it got stuffed on back to back plays in the Titans game he finally started calling different plays in short yardage situations and they started getting better results.  Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come.

3 hours ago, TheLegend87 said:

Wait, once Taylor has a breakout game, this entire forum will be all on his side. I'm not worried about him.

I agree except for the "not worried" part.   There is reason to worry.   No doubt about that.  That's not the same as thinking he is a bust.

He needs time, but the team also has to be careful and not feed him the ball too much if he isn't producing.  I think sticking with 12 carries per game is a good start.   If he's running well, feed him more.  

On 11/14/2020 at 10:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Taylor has totally inadequate vision and anticipation and looks like a fish out of water running our outside zones.  I noticed in Game 1 that he looked very stiff and indecisive.  Think TRich with speed in the running game right now.  He runs up the back of the linemen often and misses a lot of yards.

When he catches passes in open space he has burst and speed and really punishes dbacks when he gets going.

In the trash in the middle of the pile before he accelerates, he hasn't shown impressive leg drive.

He is not impressive running the ball whatsoever in my opinion and I haven't seen much evidence to the contrary.

Seems like your typical Wisconsin back who thrived in their dominant rushing attack.  I don't think he's ever going to be a top type of back.  Average.  Better than Trich, with occasional flashes when he gets in the open field  The problem is that he cant find the holes in the run game to get in the open field.

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Taylor has totally inadequate vision and anticipation and looks like a fish out of water running our outside zones.  I noticed in Game 1 that he looked very stiff and indecisive.  Think TRich with speed in the running game right now.  He runs up the back of the linemen often and misses a lot of yards.

When he catches passes in open space he has burst and speed and really punishes dbacks when he gets going.

In the trash in the middle of the pile before he accelerates, he hasn't shown impressive leg drive.

He is not impressive running the ball whatsoever in my opinion and I haven't seen much evidence to the contrary.

Seems like your typical Wisconsin back who thrived in their dominant rushing attack.  I don't think he's ever going to be a top type of back.  Average.  Better than Trich, with occasional flashes when he gets in the open field  The problem is that he cant find the holes in the run game to get in the open field.

With the first pick of the 2021 draft the colts draft  another  rb

Could be, but I doubt they invest that kind of capital in a RB again.  But yeah man, I think this will go down as a pretty bad overdraft when all is said and done, and I think we will have some free agent or 3rd or 4th rounder next year taking a bunch of carries.  Maybe we can fleece somebody like we got fleeced with Trich, but I doubt it.

I don't have much faith in Mack coming back from an Achilles.  That would be the best case scenario if he got healthy.  We could sign him for very little one year prove it deal.

I think teams are going to back a way from spending alot of capital on RBs in the draft again anyway.  It really doesn't seem to pay off even if the guy is a stud in today's game.

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

He had a 100 yard game with 1 TD already,  doesn't that count?

Richardson had 3 hundred yard games his rookie year, and ended up being one of the biggest busts in Colts history.

He also scored 12 TDs.

No, I don't think the Jets game was a breakout game.

For what I've seen so far and I'm a out of market viewer so it's not as much as most of you guys. Imho, I don't see anything special that will make him a top rb. I seen a little of him in college and I wasn't impressed for a back with 4000 yards in 2 seasons. But again, it was limited viewing. 

What I think could help is Better Run Blocking by OL, more creative run plays instead of inside dives, and a FB blocking for him out of the I formation. 

JT is a usable back and can catch passes. He just probably won't live up to his production in college and being drafted early in 2nd round. 

On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

I’ve seen where people are kinda down on JT and I myself scratch my head at some of the holes he be missing, but I can’t help but think about how average Dereck Henry was his first few games in the league... I couldn’t believe it cause I had watched him dominate his whole college career at Bama but then he caught up with the game and frankly he looks just as dominant now.

Call me crazy but I see that same potential in JT and I think he would be even more dangerous cause he’s faster than Henry! When he flashes he flashes and it’s undeniable.. I’ll  just say stay tuned, my gut tells me this kid is gonna be a force sooner or later!

JT will bounce back tomorrow!

Archived