Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Q. Wilson Released

PuntersArePeopleToo

Well the Jets have one less Colt "

New York released cornerback Quincy Wilson; he was acquired in exchange for a sixth-round pick in a draft-day trade with the Colts this past April. Wilson played three games (one start) this season."

Nice to have gotten that 6 round pick and a return TD for him. Without Mitchell he just hasn't been anything and always is on inactive list

https://www.nfl.com/news/friday-s-nfl-injury-and-roster-news-for-week-9

Yup, posted much of this already elsewhere-

This was the guy quite a few vocal fans here felt should have been handed the starting CB opportunity (in somewhat the same way others felt about Swag when JB was hurt) because he flashed well in a game and thought he would then flourish in it?  This guy-

A. That could not play as the slot DB, only on the outside

B. Where coaches didn't feel he was better than Davis nor Melvin

C. Because coaches felt Wilson wasn't a starting CB, their decisions on who's active as a reserve depends upon special teams ability, which Wilson was either reluctant to do at all or did it quite poorly when he did

D. The guy that cackled about how happy he was the Colts traded him to the Jets

https://clutchpoints.com/jets-news-quincy-wilson-detailed-just-how-happy-he-was-to-be-traded-to-new-york/

Seems it is the same issues in NY as here led to his release-

"It was a worthy gamble (taking a flyer on him) given Wilson’s physical traits and his draft pedigree. And in all honesty, it’s surprising the Jets never gave him more of a chance after a standout summer and some solid play in Week 2."  (was injured too)

"His lack of special-teams skills probably cost him his roster spot, but given the team’s struggles at the cornerback position, it is a little surprising that the Jets never gave Wilson another shot in the starting lineup." Like here, I think there's more neither team cares to reveal, just a hunch.

We basically traded Wilson for Glasgow . That's assuming we selected those 3  in a row by preference. I think that's how teams normally select as they could choose to take a trade offer in the process of selecting picks 2 and 3. This would naturally be wrong if a team would have selected Rodgers or Patmon in that slot we received from the Jets.

Just mentioning this as the media reports the trade was for Rodgers . It's true but not really true. Odds heavily favor if no trade , we have Rodgers and Patmon and no Glasgow without the Wilson trade.

Yeah... I'm a little bored bringing that up.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, dw49 said:

We basically traded Wilson for Glasgow . That's assuming we selected those 3  in a row by preference. I think that's how teams normally select as they could choose to take a trade offer in the process of selecting picks 2 and 3. This would naturally be wrong if a team would have selected Rodgers or Patmon in that slot we received from the Jets.

Just mentioning this as the media reports the trade was for Rodgers . It's true but not really true. Odds heavily favor if no trade , we have Rodgers and Patmon and no Glasgow without the Wilson trade.

Yeah... I'm a little bored bringing that up.

I am not sure we would, while Glasgow was the pick would they have picked a CB (Even one with KR ability) at that point? Ik liked glasgow and his ST play so i think they would've still ended up with him

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am not sure we would, while Glasgow was the pick would they have picked a CB (Even one with KR ability) at that point? Ik liked glasgow and his ST play so i think they would've still ended up with him

My point is that it makes sense that you take the player or players you like most when you have consecutive picks. But I have no way of proving that , other than the trading scenario I have above and also the "idea" that picks at the end of round 6 should be about finding a "hidden gem" and not a need. That said if there is no room on the roster for a late rounder to make the team , then tough to go that route I guess. I don't think that was the case at CB. Also if you watch the films on how the Colt scouts prepared for the draft , it seems like they really liked Rodgers a lot ? Not much said about the other 2 guys ? 

But who knows....

Archived