Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do You Think Is The Biggest Miss in the Draft By the Ballard Led Colts?

Boss7894

A J Brown continues to show up, even against teams whose strength is defending the pass. 

I am confident we will stop Henry but am not confident we will stop A J Brown on Thursday. Game plan should be to take Henry and Brown away. Let the others consistently beat us if they can.

I think these threads are kinda pointless.  And to all the people saying Metcalf, yeah NOW we would all love to have him.  But you can't go back and re-do anything.  I didn't see a bunch of people jumping up and down at the time saying we should have taken him.  He was taken near the end of the 2nd round people!  So even his own team passed on him once!  Hell now I wished we would have drafted Russell Wilson knowing that Andrew Luck was going to retire in just 7 seasons and seeing what Wilson has become.  But again, a EVERY team passed on him, several times in fact.

Hindsight is the benefit we all have.  Makes zero difference in what was actually done.  And it does little to change the outcome.

22 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:Chris needs to trade out of second round because his second round picks have been shaky .lol

Leonard, Smith, Rock, Lewis, and, Turey all came in the second round and have all been good players and in the case of Leonard one of the best players in the league.  It’s too early to judge Pittman and Taylor but they look promising for rookies.  Campbell has been hurt which could end up being a miss but a guy whose a miss because of injury is different from just a miss. His only really true misses have been Wilson and Banogu and most NFL GMs would tell you you need to give a pass rushers three years before giving up on them.  

So out of 10 second round picks only missing on two is pretty darn good.  

On 11/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, Myles said:

Metcalf was also coming off a neck injury which forced him to miss his final 5 college games.  

Threads like this are nuts.  Do we get to bash every GM because another player taken later turned out good.   I think that line of thought only is relevant if it's fairly early in the first round.   Obviously if Leaf was chosen over Manning.  

Umm... You do realize Metcalf was the clear and obvious pick for any team taking a WR.  We chose to take Parris Campbell, another 5'9 WR, instead of Metcalf.  Parris had about the same knock on him as Metcalf when it came to the route tree.  Parris was thought to be a project player, Metcalf was thought to be 6'4 with 4.3 speed.  His ceiling was immensely higher than Campbell's.  I have complained about this pick since day 1.  (I complained about picking Werner over Rhodes up until the day we passed on Metcalf) 

50 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Umm... You do realize Metcalf was the clear and obvious pick for any team taking a WR.  We chose to take Parris Campbell, another 5'9 WR, instead of Metcalf.  Parris had about the same knock on him as Metcalf when it came to the route tree.  Parris was thought to be a project player, Metcalf was thought to be 6'4 with 4.3 speed.  His ceiling was immensely higher than Campbell's.  I have complained about this pick since day 1.  (I complained about picking Werner over Rhodes up until the day we passed on Metcalf) 

I get that, but a serious neck injury can be worrisome.  Hindsight it hasn't been a factor.   It's not like the Colts passed on Metcalf and made a risky pick.   Most had them as the 1 and 2 WR's in the draft.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

1- D.K. Metcalf**, WR, Ole Miss
Height: 6-3. Weight: 228. Arm: 34.88. Hand: 9.88.
40 Time: 4.33. Three Cone: 7.38.
Bench: 27. Vertical: 40.5. Broad: 11-2.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
4/23/19: Metcalf was the talk of the Friday sessions of the combine after he ripped off a devastating 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds. On top of showing an elite combination of size and speed, the sculpted wideout did well in the field drills, catching the ball and showing off better-than-expected route-running. After his phenomenal workout, Metcalf looks like a secure first-round pick despite coming off a season-ending neck injury and not having much development in his route-running from college.

In 2018, Metcalf went out for the year with a neck injury after seven games. Prior to that, he was playing well, exploiting a lot of man coverage with teams focused on stopping A.J. Brown. Metcalf totaled 26 receptions for 569 yards and five touchdowns on the season. The big wideout has mismatch size and should be a red-zone weapon for the NFL. He should have returned to Ole Miss for 2019, but he decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. His medical exam and his route-running are going to be very important for his draft grade.

Metcalf is a love/hate prospect. Some team sources think he could be drafted in the No. 15-25 range, but others have him in Round 4 and don't think he has enough change-of-direction quickness and agility to be effective in the NFL.

2- Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 205. Arm: 32.88. Hand: 9.75.
40 Time: 4.31.
Bench: 11. Vertical: 40. Broad: 11-3.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
4/23/19: It was widely known in the scouting community that Campbell was extremely fast and a superb athlete. He then put that on display at the combine with a tremendous 40 time of 4.31 seconds. What was just as important was Campbell looking good at catching passes in the field drills because there are concerns about his hands. In speaking with a general manager after the wide receiver workout, they said Campbell was one of the most impressive players and really helped himself.

Campbell recorded 90 receptions for 1,063 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2018. He produced some big, clutch plays for the Buckeyes in 2018. Campbell is an excellent athlete with explosive speed and is a threat to go the distance any time he touches the ball. The biggest concerns for Campbell are his hands and dropped passes.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Campbell checks in at 6-foot, 205 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in blistering 4.35 seconds. His arms measure at 32.38 inches, his hands at 9.63 inches, plus he has a 75.38-inch wing span.

Campbell has shown that he is an explosive play-maker, but his receiving production has been held back by Ohio State struggling to pass the ball. In 2017, he totaled 40 receptions for 584 yards and three touchdowns. He dropped some passes, but Campbell never could get in any groove or consistency as a receiver because J.T. Barrett had such limitations throwing the ball.

Campbell made only 13 receptions for 121 yards in 2016, but sources from multiple teams had told me that Campbell has big-time ability and they believe he can break out. They also think Campbell could have No. 1 receiver mismatch talent against pro receivers. He probably will take on a bigger role for Ohio State in 2018.

28 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

DK Metcalf, Paris Campbell  sucks and I hope he get cut next year he is a wasted draft pick

Makes no sense to wish a Colt player to be cut before he has a chance to show what he can do. 

Plus, you haven't a clue on what Campbell's talent is because you are too busy hating. 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Making up you personal opinion does not make it fact. 

GMs don't have the gift of hindsight but things like that don't matter when you just look for a reason to be negative. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Yes.  There was a comparison of Campbell to Philip Dorset on draft day.  Campbell had a better skill set coming out of college than did Dorset, was less of a project overall.  But speed was his forte.  And the fact that he was less of a project that was drafted 59 instead of a bigger project drafted at 30 made the difference in acceptability.  But the choices still on the board when Campbell was chosen were far better than the choices when Dorset was drafted.  Its not unfair to make that comparison.  

We'll see how it turns out.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Makes no sense to wish a Colt player to be cut before he has a chance to show what he can do. 

Plus, you haven't a clue on what Campbell's talent is because you are too busy hating. 

Its been two season I already seen enough cant stay on the field and does not contribute. 

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Making up you personal opinion does not make it fact. 

GMs don't have the gift of hindsight but things like that don't matter when you just look for a reason to be negative. 

It's not like me wanting Metcalf was the exception.   Metcalf being great was much closer to being a fact than Campbell ever being great.  picking Campbell over metcalf was stupid.  That is a fact.  Ballard went against the grain and it failed.  

It gets real annoying when people state that a GM doesnt have the gift of hindsight when drafting.  That is his job, to know more than the average person.  He has made great picks at other spots, this one should have been another great pick.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, Kyle said:

LOL, Campbell is not 5'9''.

He is 6-0 and has been listed between 208-215 lbs, solidly built at that height. Very similar in height and size to Deandre Hopkins and Davante Adams, just not a physical freak like Calvin Johnson or Metcalf.

People forget that Metcalf was not highly sought around draft time as he was great attribute-wise but did not have the stats to back it up in college; many people on this forum and elsewhere had predicted a possible bust.

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It's not like me wanting Metcalf was the exception.   Metcalf being great was much closer to being a fact than Campbell ever being great.  picking Campbell over metcalf was stupid.  That is a fact.  Ballard went against the grain and it failed.  

It gets real annoying when people state that a GM doesnt have the gift of hindsight when drafting.  That is his job, to know more than the average person.  He has made great picks at other spots, this one should have been another great pick.

Once again you are making stuff up to fit a negative narrative. 

Metcalf was not thought to be above Campbell in the draft. 

Calling Ballard stupid is as annoying as it gets. 

From the players he picked - Quincy Wilson? 

From the ones he didn't pick but turned out great - I don't think this is a fair exercise. Hindsight is easy to play with 1000 players(the approximate number of players he didn't draft). You can play it with literally anyone in the league. 

On 11/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, BigO said:

DK Metcalf and Claypool. Metcalf is a pro bowl player already and Claypool looks really good. Claypool looks a lot more fluid than Pittman and much more confident.

Well would Metcalf and Claypool being drafted to teams that are better and have a lot better QB play have any effect? 

Nah, that don't fit a negative narrative. 

I am getting incredibly tired of hearing about DK. Look all other 31 teams wish they had him.... If you remember all of the issues that were following him at the time of the draft. Injury concerns, route running concerns, character concerns and  easily had the highest bust potentials out there. Another thing to take into account is do we have a coaching staff that would have been able utilize him to his strengths and a QB that would have been able to deliver him the ball. I'm going out on a limb and saying absolutely not. Seattle is using DK the way he needs to be and thats with go routes and post and routes that done take a lot of agility, We would not, we would use him in all the wrong ways. 

That's not to say i don't think we should have done things differently. I was standing there banging the drum for A.J Brown instead or rock, i'm also still scratching my head on the Banogu pick but i will give slack on that one because we drafted him to play a different position then what he is currently playing. 

Metcalf and Claypool both were drafted to teams that both had #1 receivers already on their rosters.

I would also think that having Big Ben and Wilson as QBs would also contribute to those 2 WRs having bigger stats than Rivers brings to Pittman. 

Now we have some who want to bring Pittman down because he got injured. (we also have a few that want to rag on Pittman because he uses social media) 

It's mind boggling to me how short sighted some choose to be. 

On 11/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Leonard, Smith, Rock, Lewis, and, Turey all came in the second round and have all been good players and in the case of Leonard one of the best players in the league.  It’s too early to judge Pittman and Taylor but they look promising for rookies.  Campbell has been hurt which could end up being a miss but a guy whose a miss because of injury is different from just a miss. His only really true misses have been Wilson and Banogu and most NFL GMs would tell you you need to give a pass rushers three years before giving up on them.  

So out of 10 second round picks only missing on two is pretty darn good.  

Missing only two? You can use the injury argument I guess...but at this point there is no way you can objectively say that Rock, Turay and Lewis have been "good" players/picks...relative to their draft positions. Same with Banogu and Campbell.

- Rock is currently rocking a <50 PFF grade on one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. 

- Lewis is a rotational DE playing 1/3 of the snaps and shows up on the stat sheet every other game. This is after two seasons of injuries and healthy scratches.

- Turay is a pass-rushing DE who has 5.5 sacks in his career and is always hurt.

- Banogu is...a complete non-factor. Was a healthy scratch last week...and might be long for this team. 

- Campbell has had a flash or two...but not enough to suggest he is going to be a good NFL WR...and he can't stay healthy.

I won't write them off...but to this point in their careers...you have (2) great picks (Leonard and Smith), (1) bust (Wilson), (5) meh picks (Rock, Lewis, Turay, Banogu and Campbell) and (2) rookies (Pittman and Campbell). 

I think it's more likely that Ballard ends up hitting on 2/10 than hitting on 8/10...but it will likely end up being somewhere in the middle. To Ballard's credit...he has been able to amass a ridiculous 10 2nd round picks in two years...which means missing on 2nd round picks won't hurt the Colts like it will other teams. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Missing only two? You can use the injury argument I guess...but at this point there is no way you can objectively say that Rock, Turay and Lewis have been "good" players/picks...relative to their draft positions. Same with Banogu and Campbell.

- Rock is currently rocking a <50 PFF grade on one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. 

- Lewis is a rotational DE playing 1/3 of the snaps and shows up on the stat sheet every other game. This is after two seasons of injuries and healthy scratches.

- Turay is a pass-rushing DE who has 5.5 sacks in his career and is always hurt.

- Banogu is...a complete non-factor. Was a healthy scratch last week...and might be long for this team. 

- Campbell has had a flash or two...but not enough to suggest he is going to be a good NFL WR...and he can't stay healthy.

I won't write them off...but to this point in their careers...you have (2) great picks (Leonard and Smith), (1) bust (Wilson), (5) meh picks (Rock, Lewis, Turay, Banogu and Campbell) and (2) rookies (Pittman and Campbell). 

I think it's more likely that Ballard ends up hitting on 2/10 than hitting on 8/10...but it will likely end up being somewhere in the middle. To Ballard's credit...he has been able to amass a ridiculous 10 2nd round picks in two years...which means missing on 2nd round picks won't hurt the Colts like it will other teams. 

Rock has graded out very well this year and is the teams number one corner in his second year.  If that’s not doing well for a second round pick then you are an overly harsh grader.

Turay was starting to be a forced in the pass rush game and then he got hurt.  That’s not his fault but based on what he was doing before the injury he was progressing very nicely for a second round pick.

Lewis has finally found a role in the defense and is starting to contribute including being one of the stars on defense as recently as the Lions game.  

Are any of them pro-bowlers?  So far no.  Are they guys you want on your roster absolutely.

Archived