Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Wilson

This guy is something special. I watched the game he had against USC last year, some of his games this year, and this guy has Mahomes type qualities. I'm not on board for trading multiple draft picks for one player but Zach Wilson is an exception if he's long gone before we pick. Strong arm, awareness in and out of the pocket, mobile, throws perfect passes into tight coverage, and his decision making is really good as well. Some would say, the competition he plays in college is weak. Yes that is true but look what he did against USC last year. Do you guys like him yes or no and why? 

I really like him too. He's my personal favorite draftable player this year. I love his combination of mobility, playmaking and accuracy. I think his arm strength is good, but I wouldn't call it amazing. Still, plenty good to be successful in the league. The thing I hate most about his play is his tendency to spin away from pressure, whether real or perceived. I think he gets himself in trouble this way. He needs some work in that area of his pocket presence. But yeah... overall I like him and I wouldn't mind it if we drafted him next year. 

I watched all 8 minutes of the highlight video and I just don't see it. A lot of those throws were wide open, and of the two tight windows that I saw, I believe that one is an interception if the defense had better talent. I think his arm strength is average at best too. I mean not to pick it apart but he looks like he's athletic for college but will not be able to pull the same stuff off in the NFL, the same way that Baker Mayfield tries to be athletic but it always ends bad

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If he falls to our 1st round pick, I would draft him, but I'm not trading up for him. That should be reserved for a QB such as Fields or Lance.

I agree.  I don't think the Colts are gonna be able to trade up.  There are 3 QBs that everyone wants ( Lawrence, Fields, Lance) and there are at least, possibly 9 teams in front of us that could use a QB (Jets, Giants, Jags, Falcons, Patriots, Washington, Niners, Broncos, Vikings).  That makes it incredibly difficult to move up.  I think the Colts will look at rounds 2-4 again for a QB (so that leaves us with Wilson, Newman, Trask, Mond).  

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree.  I don't think the Colts are gonna be able to trade up.  There are 3 QBs that everyone wants ( Lawrence, Fields, Lance) and there are at least, possibly 9 teams in front of us that could use a QB (Jets, Giants, Jags, Falcons, Patriots, Washington, Niners, Broncos, Vikings).  That makes it incredibly difficult to move up.  I think the Colts will look at rounds 2-4 again for a QB (so that leaves us with Wilson, Newman, Trask, Mond).  

I agree. One question, where do you think Mac Jones gets drafted (round-wise)?

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. One question, where do you think Mac Jones gets drafted (round-wise)?

He worries me a little.  He is rising so fast up the draft charts.  I don't know.  I think he could go anywhere from round 1- 3, would be my best guess.  I really like Newman the most of those QBs.

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

He worries me a little.  He is rising so fast up the draft charts.  I don't know.  I think he could go anywhere from round 1- 3, would be my best guess.  I really like Newman the most of those QBs.

It's a weird draft, there will be a lot of QBs available, but some will get overdrafted. I'm hoping Wilson will be available at our pick, but it's far from a guarantee. I haven't checked out Newman that much. Will take a look at him at some point.

22 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think its going to be a Jordan Love situation where Wilson slips towards the end of the first round into the second round. I think Steve Young is the only Quarterback to come out of BYU and have a solid NFL career. Jim McMahon won 2 superbowl titles with the Bears as well but he fell off later in his career.  

If Rivers plays well and we win the division this year, I do not see us drafting a QB next year and I see us riding Rivers and/or Eason for 2021. We may draft a QB in 2022 then. Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Sam Howell, Keydon Slovis, I think the 2022 QB class might be deeper when it is all said and done giving us more choices in every round on Day 1 or Day 2.

3 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I think its going to be a Jordan Love situation where Wilson slips towards the end of the first round into the second round. I think Steve Young is the only Quarterback to come out of BYU and have a solid NFL career. Jim McMahon won 2 superbowl titles with the Bears as well but he fell off later in his career.  

Just like most of us predicted last year, the 5th year option was a big factor for Jordan Love in Round 1. That made the Packers get Jordan Love at end of Round 1. Same thing will happen with Zach Wilson.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I hope they do Bowl games this year because I will be interested to see him play against a strong opponent.

Yep... I wonder if there is a snowball's chance in hell they make the playoffs? Like... they were no. 9 before this game and they smoked another ranked team... Probably some of the big conferences need to canibalize itself and their champions be a 2 or 3 loss team... 

He looked great yesterday for whatever it's worth. There are shades of Burrow in his game. Great anticipation and accuracy. Great playmaking on the move... The thing is... I think people misconstrue his deep throw success for great arm strength. He doesn't look to have amazing arm strength to me. IMO he's very similar to Burrow in that respect. He was having insane deep ball success last year due to great anticipation and accuracy. I think his arm-strength is actually kind of... average to maybe slightly above average. 

Archived