Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

16-team playoff could be coming this year ((Merge))

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think instead of adding #8 seed in each conference ADD 2 Best college teams. 

That would be interesting haha

Even if something as crazy as that idea is, the NFL owners would never agree to share the profits outside their circle. 

• SteelCityColt changed the title to 16-team playoff could be coming this year

Terrible idea, IMO. The #1 seed in any conference needs to mean something. Leave it at 14 teams and move the SB to first weekend of March if you need to, which a Packers exec had already hinted was in the contingency plans.

I think the number one seed is a team that deserves a bye week. I like the way it is set up right now. I think if you add another team and take away all byes, then regular season will start to be like the end of basketball season. Guys will start to take off weeks on teams that have already clinched an playoff spot. 

• Like 1

Didn't even like the expansion to 14 teams. I liked NFL playoffs because for the most part, it actually meant something to get there. Having a ton of teams in the playoffs waters it down. Going from the top teams battling it out to just "hey you weren't complete trash this year, come on in".

I see where the NFL is considering it based on how many teams have games canceled due to COVID. While I think the idea could work I would hate to see product watered down, but I get why they are doing it. They did the same thing based on the strike shortened season. Sorry if this has been discussed, didn't see the topic. Thoughts?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-may-consider-a-16-team-playoff-if-regular-season-games-are-lost-due-to-covid-19-per-report/

• w87r changed the title to 16-team playoff could be coming this year ((Merge))

Now they’re saying that if games go past Week 18, the 16 game playoffs is a cinch with the division winner not guaranteed a home game, it would be purely based on record.

Fingers crossed. In other words, a #5 seed like the Ravens could get a home game. So could the Bucs if they’re #5. However HFA is not as big this year unless you’re the Dolphins and allow 30,000 in your stadium.