Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something I noticed with Rivers today

Restinpeacesweetchloe

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hope this keeps up. He took a couple sacks instead of throwing the ball into harms way. We need him to keep doing that.

Agreed! He did very well today. I was pleased with him even though he didn’t put up big numbers. He was still very effective and pretty accurate most of the day.  Made sound decisions. And like you said...took the sack when needed. Hopefully he continues this going forward. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes and once they did that a few times Wilkins was able to start run the ball funny how that works lol.

Yeah. I think our best football is yet to come. I don’t know how well do the next 4 weeks, but I’m not as concerned as I was just 24 hrs ago

Just now, csmopar said:

Yeah. I think our best football is yet to come. I don’t know how well do the next 4 weeks, but I’m not as concerned as I was just 24 hrs ago

Well Rivers is starting to get settled in after no OTAs or pre-season either and a major credit to guys like Pascal, Johnson, and Cox for taking advantage of the opportunity they are getting.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes and once they did that a few times Wilkins was able to start run the ball funny how that works lol.

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hope this keeps up. He took a couple sacks instead of throwing the ball into harms way. We need him to keep doing that.

That is better. If he had just some escape ability so he could throw the ball away without an interception or a sack. I do agree a sack is better than a turnover.

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed! He did very well today. I was pleased with him even though he didn’t put up big numbers. He was still very effective and pretty accurate most of the day.  Made sound decisions. And like you said...took the sack when needed. Hopefully he continues this going forward. 

Yeah he didn't hit 300 yards but still 3 TD and 0 INT. I think thats 2 consecutive games with 3 TD passes. I like it. 

Just now, atapcl said:

That is better. If he had just some escape ability so he could throw the ball away without an interception or a sack. I do agree a sack is better than a turnover.

He has a very good pocket presence.  Early in the game he sensed things were breaking down and rolled out and he hit Cox on the sideline.  No he’s not going to run away but he’s good at sensing when he needs to get out of the pocket.

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

Yeah he didn't hit 300 yards but still 3 TD and 0 INT. I think thats 2 consecutive games with 3 TD passes. I like it. 

Add in that 40+ yard PI he got to Duhlin and he’s over 300 yards.  

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ravens lost their LT for the season today. We plat two teams who have lost their left tackle. If Darius can keep Jackson contained and we can force him to throw I like our chances. Ravens will also be without Ingrahm.

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ravens lost their LT for the season today. We plat two teams who have lost their left tackle. If Darius can keep Jackson contained and we can force him to throw I like our chances. Ravens will also be without Ingrahm.

Huge loss for them. 80+ PFF graded stud big boy from ND.

And he just signed a 5 year extension this week lol. I was hoping (pre-extension) some how the Colts would pick him up to replace AC and have to ND boys on the left.

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Rivers has gone 52-77 for 633 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 114.0 passer rating over the last 2 games.

I think the last two weeks, Reich has let Rivers be Rivers more than earlier. 

Not saying Reich is conceding that we're just not a bully RTB team, just that it was perhaps a bad idea of trying to put PR in a box. 

I still didn't like the play calling in a few series, but when he let PR get in a rhythm, the O just looked much better.

It is called "live to fight another play". A lot of good QBs do it, Rivers was probably pressing early on and even when they cut the deficit to 14-20 and we had a brief set of 2 bad drives, he did not panic. 

Dungy's most important lesson for Peyton when he talked about it was "it is OK to punt". Trusting in your teammates on the other side is something that is sloqly acquired on a new team and Rivers is trusting his teammates and D more and more and I am excited about the possibilities out of those. Ultimately, we won't be a team that shoots itself in its own foot and requires another team to play 60 minutes to beat us. That is where the Peyton-Dungy Colts got to, few penalties and mistakes that it took other teams 60 minutes to beat us, like it did with the Brady-Belichick Patriots.

We will find out against a better schedule coming up, such poise and trust will be tested in closer games.

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I was pleased to see them finally figure out how to use Hines. 

More wheel routes please! 

This should be obvious.

Not to be controversial, in past years I don't think Luck was as accurate with those types of throws than Rivers.  The one throw where Rivers dumped it over Hines' shoulder so that Hines did not miss a step of full speed running is exactly what a short-er patterned offense needs.  I don't think that was Luck's forte.

18 hours ago, atapcl said:

Lol not to be a troublemaker or anything but did you feel the same about Peyton? I mean he’s the epitome of a sitting duck who threw ducks haha 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

This should be obvious.

Not to be controversial, in past years I don't think Luck was as accurate with those types of throws than Rivers.  The one throw where Rivers dumped it over Hines' shoulder so that Hines did not miss a step of full speed running is exactly what a short-er patterned offense needs.  I don't think that was Luck's forte.

I would agree with you. . . Luck was not really good with throwing up floaters. . .  He also wasn't good with corner routes either because of that. 

However I'd still take Luck over Rivers.  Luck has more mobility and strength so he could extend plays in which the protection broke down.  Rivers isn't going to do much without good protection.  We saw that against the Browns.  

27 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would agree with you. . . Luck was not really good with throwing up floaters. . .  He also wasn't good with corner routes either because of that. 

However I'd still take Luck over Rivers.  Luck has more mobility and strength so he could extend plays in which the protection broke down.  Rivers isn't going to do much without good protection.  We saw that against the Browns.  

Oh sure, I'd take Luck too.  I was just pointing out that Luck seemed more suited to the Arians style than the Reich style.  Short area precision helps a lot with the Reich style.

We need to know how Eason fares with that type of throwing.  He's got a cannon, but that's more Arians than Reich, IMO.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Oh sure, I'd take Luck too.  I was just pointing out that Luck seemed more suited to the Arians style than the Reich style.  Short area precision helps a lot with the Reich style.

We need to know how Eason fares with that type of throwing.  He's got a cannon, but that's more Arians than Reich, IMO.

Luck wasn't bad in the short passing game though.  He fit both offenses pretty well actually.    

Archived