Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts tied for first in AFCS(Titans own tie breaker)


Recommended Posts

  • CR91 changed the title to Colts half game back from first in AFCS
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not really a half game back, just a tie breaker. 

We can take things over the next two weeks.

I like the matchup vs the Ravens, and then TN on a Thursday night. 

 

2 wins and we're at worst tied for 3rd in the AFC.

 

I'm feeling the Colts win both of those games right now. 

 

Titans are reeling and have been fools gold majority of the season IMO. Honestly, the Colts are built to beat both of these teams. Neither of their defenses have been that impressive and they (especially the Ravens) really struggle when you shut their running games down.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The ball is in our court now. We need to take care of the Ravens first though. Our defense was stellar for the most part, but as with anything else there is plenty of room to improve. We can certainly take it to any team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Restored said:

 

I'm feeling the Colts win both of those games right now. 

 

Titans are reeling and have been fools gold majority of the season IMO. Honestly, the Colts are built to beat both of these teams. Neither of their defenses have been that impressive and they (especially the Ravens) really struggle when you shut their running games down.

Yep.

I like the matchup vs both teams. TN has been squeaking out Ws a lot. But, they just don't quit, so we'll have to put them away. I'm more worried about Tannehill lighting us up than I am Henry. 

 

Balt just isn't good passing, and I think we'll fair well vs their running game. Jackson if allowed to throw short though, can eat a D up. If we're Charmin soft, might be ugly. Balt's D is good, but not near the levels of the past. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Most teams lose games to teams they shouldn't.    Titans vs Bengals  for example 

True.  After week 1 I said the colts (lately) lose the season opener and lose in Jacksonville, at least this year we combined them.  One loss instead of two. In hindsight its shame to drop that one though.  It was winnable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • w87r changed the title to Colts tied for first in AFCS(Titans own tie breaker)
21 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

True.  After week 1 I said the colts (lately) lose the season opener and lose in Jacksonville, at least this year we combined them.  One loss instead of two. In hindsight its shame to drop that one though.  It was winnable.

The Browns game was winnable too if we're honest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Browns game was winnable too if we're honest.

Both games prominently featured rivers ints.  If the offense continues to gel, and the D continues its trend towards dominance, I think we have a real shot this year.  Overly optimistic? Maybe, but I'll run the risk of playing the fool. I like this team.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Both games prominently featured rivers ints.  If the offense continues to gel, and the D continues its trend towards dominance, I think we have a real shot this year.  Overly optimistic? Maybe, but I'll run the risk of playing the fool. I like this team.

Both games also featured that soft shell defense that doesn’t work that put the Colts behind the 8 ball that’s when Rivers makes mistakes.  The key here is not to put the team in that situation on both sides of the ball.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Both games also featured that soft shell defense that doesn’t work that put the Colts behind the 8 ball that’s when Rivers makes mistakes.  The key here is not to put the team in that situation on both sides of the ball.  

Agreed there too.  I absolutely die a little inside watching that soft zone.  I've been highly critical of Flus since his hiring but I gotta give credit this year.  Our d has been suffocating at times.  I'd like to think showings like today will become more frequent as we continue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Myles said:

That was intentional.  Don't want Lawrence in the AFC South.  

The Texans and Titans have agreed to lose to them once as well.

I'd like to believe that but we all know the jets exist.....(apologies to the ol' zeuser)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Agreed there too.  I absolutely die a little inside watching that soft zone.  I've been highly critical of Flus since his hiring but I gotta give credit this year.  Our d has been suffocating at times.  I'd like to think showings like today will become more frequent as we continue.

Yeah.  I don’t really have an issue with Flus when he doesn’t call the soft zone D.  He’s shown to be really good when he gets the defense out of that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah.  I don’t really have an issue with Flus when he doesn’t call the soft zone D.  He’s shown to be really good when he gets the defense out of that.

Yea maybe my perception of their stubbornness to abandon it is overstated.  I've settled into thinking that's their preferred scheme.  A "first world" soft form of ptsd maybe.  I just dread it.  Then I see them today and I'm like, *,  is this '86 and I'm living in chi town? Wheres my cassette of the shufflin' crew?

 

Exaggeration obviously, lol,  but today they were dominant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

If Reich would learn to run against the Jags when their run D is the weaker link...:thmup:

 

Goes back to the 0-6 game with Luck at the helm in 2018. 

We were 1-5 in 2018. Never 0-6 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We were 1-5 in 2018. Never 0-6 


I was talking about the 0-6 loss to the Jaguars with Frank trying to play macho passing against the strength of the Jags pass D. (Just like game 1 this year). Worst loss that I’ve seen as a Colts fan.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chad72 said:


I was talking about the 0-6 loss to the Jaguars with Frank trying to play macho passing against the strength of the Jags pass D. (Just like game 1 this year). Worst loss that I’ve seen as a Colts fan.

Sorry about that! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Restored said:

 

I'm feeling the Colts win both of those games right now. 

 

Titans are reeling and have been fools gold majority of the season IMO. Honestly, the Colts are built to beat both of these teams. Neither of their defenses have been that impressive and they (especially the Ravens) really struggle when you shut their running games down.

I'm worried about Jackson scrambling for like 80 yards against us. Only kind of joking. Our run D is great, and I agree with your accessment that if we shut it down their pass attack is nothing amazing. But if we put pressure but can't actually contain Jackson, he's going to extend drives with his legs. Because of this I worry more about the Ravens than perhaps anyone else this season. Maybe GB just because depending on the week Rodgers could just light up anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

That Jacksonville game....smh

Nothing happened that hasn’t happened to the Colts before down in Jax. And Colts have still made the playoffs in the past even won the South while losing to that team earlier in the season. In fact, they even won the Super Bowl in 06 after being run all over by Jax for over 300 rushing yards. Remember that? Lol. The good news is...we will see them again...this time in Indy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting, and concerning, trend has formed with this defense. The three quarterbacks they've faced who are good at scrambling out of the pocket to buy time and either find chunk completions downfield, or pick up yardage themselves - Minshew, Mayfield and Burrow - have mostly shredded this defense, with two of them getting wins over the Colts (and the other coming pretty close). The other four they've faced who are much less effective at making such plays - Cousins, Darnold, Foles and Stafford - have all been mostly smothered, even dominated, by this defense.

 

Most of the quarterbacks they have coming up are, unfortunately, either among the best at, or at least closer to, the scrambling to make plays category than not. And two of the ones who aren't as much like that now late in their careers - Rogers and Roethlisberger - can still make such plays when they need to. So it's going to be very interesting, and telling, to see what this defense looks like during the second half of the season.

 

And it's going to be that much more incumbent on the offense to much more consistently produce than they have a lot of the time during the first half of the season because of the above. Especially the running game. I really don't see this team competing for anything of meaning without that.

 

All that said, I repeat what I've said ever since I first started following this team back in March. It has a ton of talent, and because of that and the management and coaching leading it, they can do those things I described above. And just like I said in the week after their loss to the Clowns, when virtually everyone else was saying they'd be lucky to finish over .500, I still believe they can finish 12 - 4. It really is up to them.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Myles said:

That was intentional.  Don't want Lawrence in the AFC South.  

The Texans and Titans have agreed to lose to them once as well.

Obviously this was said in jest.   

But thinking about it, I bet Houston, Tennessee and Jacksonville would have given up a win to stop Manning from being in the division.   The divisions were different back then and the Titans didn't exist yet, so kind of a moot point.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Myles said:

Obviously this was said in jest.   

But thinking about it, I bet Houston, Tennessee and Jacksonville would have given up a win to stop Manning from being in the division.   The divisions were different back then and the Titans didn't exist yet, so kind of a moot point.   

I remember some of the talk back then and a big reason the Colts ended up in the division with 2 newer teams in the Jags and Texans and a recently relocated team in the Titans is because the owners in the AFC East and North wanted to have to play Manning twice a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Restored said:

 

I'm feeling the Colts win both of those games right now. 

 

Titans are reeling and have been fools gold majority of the season IMO. Honestly, the Colts are built to beat both of these teams. Neither of their defenses have been that impressive and they (especially the Ravens) really struggle when you shut their running games down.

 

With the Titans, they are a well rounded offense and have a good OL. So, offensively they can hang with us. Defensively, we will see if their acquisition of Desmond King helps the middle of their secondary that continued to be exploited. Maybe the Tannehill charm will wear off eventually but that is a team that probably did not take the Bengals seriously, I feel.

 

Ravens, as long as they stay patient with the run, and we don't put pressure on the scoreboard against them, we are asking for trouble because 30-40 carries and clock control is made easier for them without a deficit. Not everyone can make a comeback like Big Ben did on the road vs the Ravens, down 7-17. Big Ben went no huddle for about 24 plays in a row, I read, in the second half during that comeback. 2 INTs of Lamar happened throwing to Mark Andrews and the Steelers scouted that well, and one of them was a pick six early on while the second one gave the Steelers a short field for a TD pass to Ebron at the beginning of the second half, where the Steelers exploited the Ravens down the middle.

 

Can we win both those games? Yes, we definitely can. Will we? Only time will tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

With the Titans, they are a well rounded offense and have a good OL. So, offensively they can hang with us. Defensively, we will see if their acquisition of Desmond King helps the middle of their secondary that continued to be exploited. Maybe the Tannehill charm will wear off eventually but that is a team that probably did not take the Bengals seriously, I feel.

 

Ravens, as long as they stay patient with the run, and we don't put pressure on the scoreboard against them, we are asking for trouble because 30-40 carries and clock control is made easier for them without a deficit. Not everyone can make a comeback like Big Ben did on the road vs the Ravens, down 7-17. Big Ben went no huddle for about 24 plays in a row, I read, in the second half during that comeback. 2 INTs of Lamar happened throwing to Mark Andrews and the Steelers scouted that well, and one of them was a pick six early on while the second one gave the Steelers a short field for a TD pass to Ebron at the beginning of the second half, where the Steelers exploited the Ravens down the middle.

 

Can we win both those games? Yes, we definitely can. Will we? Only time will tell. 

 

I partially agree on some of what you said concerning the Titans. Their offense is heavily predicated on being able to run the ball and do play action. If that gets going for them, they are able to move the ball. In addition, Tannehill has been playing good ball and has actually kept them in games. The problem is, much like the Colts last year to this point, all of their games have been extremely close for the most part. And while odds are that you will win some of those games, odds also say that you will lose some of those games too and thats what happening with the Titans. Their defense is below average and their offense is prone to stalling out if shut down or limit Henry (which the Colts have historically done well and are doing very fairly well this year)

 

I agree on the Ravens analysis. The Ravens are built to play with a lead and playing ball control offense. The Colts have to really shut down their rushing attack. The Ravens losing their LT and Ingram hurts without a doubt. Humphrey also getting COVID throws a wrinkle into the mix for them on defense.

 

I think part of my thinking is also just based on where all three of these teams are at. The Colts appear to be finding their stride on both sides of the ball while both the Ravens and Titans have regressed a bit. Any given Sunday but the Colts appear to be playing better than both of these teams right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'd say (at least since they moved to Indy) it'd be the 2005, 2006 or 2009 team.  The 2005 and 2009 teams had the best records (14-2) in regular season.  Unfortunately, the 2005 team was one and done in playoffs so hard to argue they were the best as they didn't even win a playoff game let alone make it to the SB.   I agree that Polian/Caldwell stopped the momentum by resting players in 2009.  I'll never forget Peyton standing on the sideline with his helmet on the rest of that game after they pulled starters, he looked absolutely furious.  Jeff Saturday said years later that his biggest regret as a player was not going for a perfect season in 2009.... the SB loss that year was a tough pill to swallow, the only thing I was happy about was New Orleans brought a title to their city so soon after Hurricane Katrina.   All that aside, the Colts failed to win the SB that year.  I think Dungy was a far superior coach to Caldwell.  We were without Marvin that year, Bob Sanders was on IR, etc.  With a pretty similar team the following year we went 10-6 and then without Peyton the next year we went 2-14 and it was exposed that our roster was actually pretty weak without stud QB play.  The more I think about it, the more I wonder if 2009 was more Peyton being a hero than the Colts having a very great team from top to bottom.     I go back and forth on this, but thinking the 2006 group may be a bit better of an overall team.  They were unbeaten at home and sealed the deal with a SB win.  While Bob Sanders only played 4 regular season games, he was back for the playoffs and the defense only gave up 73.3 yards rushing per game in that run against some pretty darn good teams.  We had a better OL (Tarik Glenn at LT instead of Charlie Johnson in  2009).  And we had a better WR corps with both Marv and Reggie than we did in 2009 with Reggie and Garcon.  I think you could argue the RB duo of Addai (1081 yards) and Rhodes (641 yards) was as good or better in 2006 than Addai (828 yards) and D. Brown (281 yards) in 2009.   I think our defense was better overall in 2006 than it was in 2009 (especially come playoff time when Sanders was back) and that we had a better head coach in Dungy than we did with Caldwell.  Going position by position (or positional group by group), I think the only position where the 2009 team was clearly better than 2006 is punter (McAfee > Hunter Smith).     I know the 2009 team had more pro-bowlers and all-pros, but I'm not sure if they were overall better than 2006.  The 2009 team had 3 first-team all-pros (Clark, Freeney, Manning) and 1 2nd team (Wayne) along with 7 probowlers (Wayne, Freeney, Manning, Saturday, Clark, Mathis, Bethea).  The 2006 team had 1 first-team all pro (Marv) and two 2nd team all pros (Manning, Saturday) along with 5 pro bowlers (Saturday, Manning, Marv, Reggie, T. Glenn).  So there is some argument there, but we had all the players who made pro-bowl in 2009 on the 2006 team (and 2006 we had Marv, Glenn, and at least at play off time we had a healthy Bob Sanders).      
    • IMO, to find that, realistically we'll have to draft it, and early. I don't see us paying for young elite DE given Buckner's contract already, and some of the other areas of need. We'll either go with solid vets or drafts. 
    • What is driving you to write all these disparaging comments? It almost seems personal. He does not play for your team. He has not committed a crime. What is it?
    • I don't think he would lie about it.   My hope is that, even he wouldn't. That's what I am hoping to hear. Whatever he says will be the truth though, I don't doubt that.
    • If he says no he would be lying... I'll get my popcorn 
  • Members

    • Thunderbolt

      Thunderbolt 451

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Franchise

      Franchise 0

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt1911

      Colt1911 4

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Sumo63

      Sumo63 594

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HectorRoberts

      HectorRoberts 751

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 7,376

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsva

      coltsva 1,765

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Orioles22

      Orioles22 280

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 5,013

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Caleb3502

      Caleb3502 297

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...