Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor (week 8)

Personally I would like to see Frank continue to use all three RBs. Carry the hot hand when it's there. Plus it keeps fresh legs during the game.

I know it's easy to say one was better than the other but it was in the 2nd half of the game where it showed that the Lions were gassed. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, JT has mis-read some lanes/opportunities and lacked some decisiveness this season, but he's no Trent Richardson.  IMO he's a talented rookie who's devoting a lot of his consciousness to Rathman's

I'm just gonna put this video here in case people didn't see it in the other thread. This is what us JT downers are seeing:   This is only from the first 4 weeks of the year and no

Offense was better with Wilkins in. Taylor just hasn’t found his groove.   No question about it. This offense misses Mack. He is more valuable than realized in my opinion.    

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I would like to see Frank continue to use all three RBs. Carry the hot hand when it's there. Plus it keeps fresh legs during the game.

I know it's easy to say one was better than the other but it was in the 2nd half of the game where it showed that the Lions were gassed. 

I think he will.  As much as I loath Hines running between the tackles they seem determined to make that square peg go in that hole.  No reason not see who is running better that day between Wilkins and Taylor.  That’s what frank seemed to hint at in his post game presser.

• Like 1

What is happening with Taylor kind of reminds me of what happened with Melvin Gordon in his first year with the Chargers. Coming from Wisconsin Gordon struggled his first year in the NFL looking indecisive and nothing like the game breaker that was seen in college. In year 2 the Chargers brought in his college fullback and went to more Iform Looks where the fullback would guide him to the hole and he would cut off that. All of a sudden Gordon started looking more decisive and he also started becoming more comfortable with shotgun runs as he found a rhythm. 

The Colts May need to cater the offense more to Taylor in this manner to get him going. Taylor just seems uncomfortable in the scheme and the coaches need to help him get started. Right now he’s running tentatively and not exploding through contact like he showed in college. Additionally the harping on ball security may have taken away some of the instincts to explode into contact thus he is just absorbing hits instead of delivering them himself.

2 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

What is happening with Taylor kind of reminds me of what happened with Melvin Gordon in his first year with the Chargers. Coming from Wisconsin Gordon struggled his first year in the NFL looking indecisive and nothing like the game breaker that was seen in college. In year 2 the Chargers brought in his college fullback and went to more Iform Looks where the fullback would guide him to the hole and he would cut off that. All of a sudden Gordon started looking more decisive and he also started becoming more comfortable with shotgun runs as he found a rhythm. 

The Colts May need to cater the offense more to Taylor in this manner to get him going. Taylor just seems uncomfortable in the scheme and the coaches need to help him get started. Right now he’s running tentatively and not exploding through contact like he showed in college. Additionally the harping on ball security may have taken away some of the instincts to explode into contact thus he is just absorbing hits instead of delivering them himself.

I said earlier that JT needs to play more by instinct rather than thinking too much.

The only knock on him was his turnovers coming out of college. 

You know Rathman has been drilling into his head about protecting the ball. 

Sometimes you have to risk a fumble. All the great RBs lose one once in a while. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I said earlier that JT needs to play more by instinct rather than thinking too much.

The only knock on him was his turnovers coming out of college. 

You know Rathman has been drilling into his head about protecting the ball. 

Sometimes you have to risk a fumble. All the great RBs lose one once in a while. 

He’s not an instinctual type runner.  He’s a follow that fullback’s big * type runner.

I wish Mack was more durable. His vision/patience is pretty awesome.

I really don't care who's running the ball. Just stop showing your hand to the D and letting them know the run is coming, use some more play action, and every RB would improve dramatically. 

15 hours ago, bestQBever said:

I'm just gonna put this video here in case people didn't see it in the other thread. This is what us JT downers are seeing:

This is only from the first 4 weeks of the year and nothing has changed

He had his best rushing efficiency from Weeks 5-6...so I don’t think “nothing has changed.” 

On 11/1/2020 at 4:20 PM, Robin said:

Anyone knows if he got injured? Diden't seem him until the end in the second half. Or maybe he got pulled he did have 11 carries for only 22 yards (2 avg). vs Jordan Wilkins 20 carries for 89 (4,5 avg) I dont really care what the name of the player running, catching or throwing the ball is aslong as we  win. But a quick eye test did show night and day between our two runningbacks today.

I heard he had an ankle injury.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I wish Mack was more durable. His vision/patience is pretty awesome.

I really don't care who's running the ball. Just stop showing your hand to the D and letting them know the run is coming, use some more play action, and every RB would improve dramatically. 

Play action is worthless unless the LBs bite on the fake.  I bet if you look at the cutups,  our dismal ypc is probably causing the PA to simply give more time to get to the QB for the DL.  If the LBs don't bite on the fakes, then PA is irrelevant. 

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

He’s not an instinctual type runner.  He’s a follow that fullback’s big * type runner.

What? 

I don't for the life of me understand you at all. 

Just the slight mental hesitation distracts their ability. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What? 

I don't for the life of me understand you at all. 

Just the slight mental hesitation distracts their ability. 

Don’t worry about it.  You and I don’t see things the same way on this issue.

On 11/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, SR711 said:

Taylor was not good today and I do feel it is best to try and split the carries between him and Wilkins early in the game and ride the hot hand in the 4th quarter. Too many times, I have felt that Taylor has been force fed the majority of carries, when his production on the field so far in his young career has not warranted it  

Also, Reich needs to run a lot less out of the 2 or more TEs, receivers in reduced split formations, and call for more passes (with deep shots) out of this if for anything else to keep the defense guessing.  It might be recollection bias on my part, but seems that we have our worst results attempting runs out of these "phone booth" formations  

The run game has got to be much more effective if were are going to have any chance to beat the better teams in the AFC. 

Taylor may not be ready to be the guy. Running backs that are good enough to be the guy, would be taking full advantage of this situation and make everyone forget about Mack. To Me, Mack is a middle of the road running back as is the rest of the backs they have. There is no clear better back on this club. Good to great backs do well in the transition from college. That being said, the phone booth formations should only be on the goal line. Not a lot of room to run. Spread things out and stretch the defense.

Wilkins could be a good back if he is used enough and gets into a rythem. Think about it, Earl Cambell never got 100 yards on pittsburg. But they kept hammering or chopping wood as coach would say.