Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor (week 8)

Robin

Anyone knows if he got injured? Diden't seem him until the end in the second half. Or maybe he got pulled he did have 11 carries for only 22 yards (2 avg). vs Jordan Wilkins 20 carries for 89 (4,5 avg) I dont really care what the name of the player running, catching or throwing the ball is aslong as we  win. But a quick eye test did show night and day between our two runningbacks today.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Actually, Rivers was just interviewed on CBS and said Taylor was "a little nicked up."

Exact words.

So, valid question on your part.  Doesn't sound serious, but that could explain part of it. 

It was probably on that short run in the first half where he took a big hit.  Or that’s what their saying anyway.  

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Actually, Rivers was just interviewed on CBS and said Taylor was "a little nicked up."

Exact words.

So, valid question on your part.  Doesn't sound serious, but that could explain part of it. 

I think the bigger explanation is Wilkins just had the hot hand today.  That’s today though.  That doesn’t mean that’s the way it’s going to be going forward.  

Yes, JT has mis-read some lanes/opportunities and lacked some decisiveness this season, but he's no Trent Richardson.  IMO he's a talented rookie who's devoting a lot of his consciousness to Rathman's mentoring about not fumbling.  

He was thrust into carrying the whole load and wasn't ready. I still have high expectations for him settling in and everything clicking for him, including 4th Q of this season. 

48 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the bigger explanation is Wilkins just had the hot hand today.  That’s today though.  That doesn’t mean that’s the way it’s going to be going forward.  

That is something Reich has said, he is going to ride the hot hand, when he would talk about Mack and Taylor, Now it is just Taylor, Wilkins instead. 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That is something Reich has said, he is going to ride the hot hand, when he would talk about Mack and Taylor, Now it is just Taylor, Wilkins instead. 

Are they playing football or poker?

As a running back, if there's a hole, you run through it. Apparently Wilkins was doing that and JT wasn't. 

Yeah, I've soured on Taylor. Wilkins did everything I wish Taylor would have over the last 4-5 weeks. He gets yards after contact and had solid vision. I'm not saying I'm out on Taylor, he'll be the guy next week, but I would love the guy to look at this game and realize more of what he needs to do better. If he doesn't then Wilkins may end up as the starter at some point.

44 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Offense was better with Wilkins in. Taylor just hasn’t found his groove.

No question about it. This offense misses Mack. He is more valuable than realized in my opinion.

This.  I full expect the Colts to bring Mack back at least on a one year prove it deal.  It makes sense for both sides.

Taylor plays a position, running back, that is probably the easiest to transition to in the NFL. By all accounts he is extremely bright, fast and powerful. I dont get it. Oh and is he suppose to, I repeat suppose to have an elite offensive line (loud cough). We maybe seeing the sequel to a bad movie " Star wars....The Rise of Trent Richardson".

1 minute ago, Korey said:

definitely Something to keep an eye on moving forward however I think Wilkins performed amazing

I have always been on the Wilkins band wagon . I believe he has never been the starter because the staff dont see him as having elite traits. That has worked so well for Ballard...sarcasm. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have always been on the Wilkins band wagon . I believe he has never been the starter because the staff dont see him as having elite traits. That has worked so well for Ballard...sarcasm. 

Wilkins to me is a perfect #2 back. He had a very good senior season, and overall didn't have a lot of tread wear on the tires.

Not overly fast, but checks most measurable boxes. The only dig on him at Ole Miss, and in the draft was that he didn't play to his size, meaning he wasn't great between the tackles or a bruiser, and his YAC was mediocre to poor. I remember him having good games vs Bama and LSU, as well as the Egg Bowl. 

Personally, I thought he might be better than graded just because he was playing in the SEC West and still had a good AVG.

He does look to be running tougher this year. He had a really nice between the Ts run today, as well as a few games ago. Before that though, he only really looked good on zone over the T runs, and runs late in games. But perhaps he's been working on being "tougher" and deserves more early caries between the Ts. I'm just glad we have him. I also liked Williams from last year. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wilkins to me is a perfect #2 back. He had a very good senior season, and overall didn't have a lot of tread wear on the tires.

Not overly fast, but checks most measurable boxes. The only dig on him at Ole Miss, and in the draft was that he didn't play to his size, meaning he wasn't great between the tackles or a bruiser, and his YAC was mediocre to poor. I remember him having good games vs Bama and LSU, as well as the Egg Bowl. 

Personally, I thought he might be better than graded just because he was playing in the SEC West and still had a good AVG.

He does look to be running tougher this year. He had a really nice between the Ts run today, as well as a few games ago. Before that though, he only really looked good on zone over the T runs, and runs late in games. But perhaps he's been working on being "tougher" and deserves more early caries between the Ts. I'm just glad we have him. I also liked Williams from last year. 

Maybe that is why he has always been relegated 3rd stringer? Maybe the coaches wanted to see more toughness? I am impressed by Reich going with Wilkins. It proves to me Reich doesn't give a .... whrn a player is drafted

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe that is why he has always been relegated 3rd stringer? Maybe the coaches wanted to see more toughness? I am impressed by Reich going with Wilkins. It proves to me Reich doesn't give a .... whrn a player is drafted

It's driven me crazy when we've used Hines so much. I know you have to let him run every once in a while to keep teams honest, but it's just been too much. His receiving needs to set up his run, not the opposite. I don't really want to see him in on full series. And I don't want to see him running on 3rd and short between the tackles, or goal line between the tackles at all. Just doesn't make sense. Reich has said several times that he's a three down back..... No he's not lol.

I'm glad they ran Wilkins more today, but if you noticed, his AVG was lower than it normally is. Historically he gets most of his yards on the edge and later in games. Even if you look at last year's success rates, he had higher than Mack's in several areas. The difference though was that Mack carried the lion's share early, and Wilkins later.

If you want to play around, here's a good site to look at RB success by down and also direction. You can select Qs too. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/directional-rushing-success--off-.html

Taylor was not good today and I do feel it is best to try and split the carries between him and Wilkins early in the game and ride the hot hand in the 4th quarter. Too many times, I have felt that Taylor has been force fed the majority of carries, when his production on the field so far in his young career has not warranted it  

Also, Reich needs to run a lot less out of the 2 or more TEs, receivers in reduced split formations, and call for more passes (with deep shots) out of this if for anything else to keep the defense guessing.  It might be recollection bias on my part, but seems that we have our worst results attempting runs out of these "phone booth" formations  

The run game has got to be much more effective if were are going to have any chance to beat the better teams in the AFC. 

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh Hin...okay I can’t finish that lol

In my defense I was just being lazy and not typing his namehaha plus he should always have a place as the scat type gadget back. More in this case I was talking the hot hand for a main runner Wilkins and Taylor are more that while Hines is more pass catch run every once in a while to keep them honest type back

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

In my defense I was just being lazy and not typing his namehaha plus he should always have a place as the scat type gadget back. More in this case I was talking the hot hand for a main runner Wilkins and Taylor are more that while Hines is more pass catch run every once in a while to keep them honest type back

Not what I was going for lol, not trying to call you out was trying to make a joke about Hines not being a threat in the running game.  It was a poor attempt on my part.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's driven me crazy when we've used Hines so much. I know you have to let him run every once in a while to keep teams honest, but it's just been too much. His receiving needs to set up his run, not the opposite. I don't really want to see him in on full series. And I don't want to see him running on 3rd and short between the tackles, or goal line between the tackles at all. Just doesn't make sense. Reich has said several times that he's a three down back..... No he's not lol.

I'm glad they ran Wilkins more today, but if you noticed, his AVG was lower than it normally is. Historically he gets most of his yards on the edge and later in games. Even if you look at last year's success rates, he had higher than Mack's in several areas. The difference though was that Mack carried the lion's share early, and Wilkins later.

If you want to play around, here's a good site to look at RB success by down and also direction. You can select Qs too. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/directional-rushing-success--off-.html

Thanks

17 hours ago, Robin said:

Anyone knows if he got injured? Diden't seem him until the end in the second half. Or maybe he got pulled he did have 11 carries for only 22 yards (2 avg). vs Jordan Wilkins 20 carries for 89 (4,5 avg) I dont really care what the name of the player running, catching or throwing the ball is aslong as we  win. But a quick eye test did show night and day between our two runningbacks today.

I think it was more that Wilkins was the hot hand, so to speak.  Wilkins was running hard and hitting the hole better than Taylor in the early part of the game.  Reich has often said that he likes multiple running backs and the back that produces will get the majority of carries for that game.

13 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

JT does not instill confidence in me and, at this point, gets about the minimum out of every one of his carries. I think confidence and vision is hugely lacking for him right now.

I agree 100%.  He showed great running ability when given the ball 20+ times in his 100 yard game this season.  Other than that, he's not consistently getting the ball and not showing confidence in his running.  I feel that once he finds that confidence, he's gonna be a beast.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I liked Williams as well. I sort of wish wed get him back to be part of the crew

JT reminds me of Mack in Mack's first season. You can see the potential but he's indecisive, he's slow, he looks a bit heavy, and the vision isn't quite where it should be.

The fact is the Colts thought this might be the case which is why they all stated clearly that Marlon was RB1. If not for that injury, that would have been the case. Any 'good' contribution from JT this season is a bonus to me. 

Just glad Wilkins is showing out.

I dont quite know what to do with Taylor yet. Hes talented for sure but hes got absolutely no ability to make people miss and he doesnt change direction well.  Right now we are still trying to figure what he does best. I remember i didnt like Wilkins that much his rookie year though so i will remain patient. Wilkins has grown though since that point. A lot more nimble, has nice vision and is decisive. I really like him on the zone stretch runs. Hes got some Arian Foster type movement to him.

I do not get some of the comments on this forum. 

Last four games prior to Sunday and just average yards per carry.   Jets, JT 4.5,  JW 4.3,  Bears JT 4.0, JW 1.7,  Browns JT 4.0 JW 1.0,  Bengals JT 5.0 JW -1.0.    In all of those games JT is only given the ball about 12 times. That is not enough to get started.  Good backs need the flow of the game.   

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont quite know what to do with Taylor yet. Hes talented for sure but hes got absolutely no ability to make people miss and he doesnt change direction well.  Right now we are still trying to figure what he does best. I remember i didnt like Wilkins that much his rookie year though so i will remain patient. Wilkins has grown though since that point. A lot more nimble, has nice vision and is decisive. I really like him on the zone stretch runs. Hes got some Arian Foster type movement to him.

Personally, I think Taylor will be fine, his biggest issue, IMO, he is trying to make moves that worked in college but he's finding in the NFL the D doesn't fall for those moves quite as easily. And, I'm not a big fan of Wilkins, but the big difference in the detroit game was Wilkins was hitting the hole he was supposed to hit and taking what the defense gave him and running hard each time.  JT was hesitant in the backfield waiting for a better hole.

Like I said I'm not a Wilkins fan but he was a gritty hard-nosed runner yesterday and he looked really good.

Archived