Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O Looks Much Better with Wilkins To Me

krunk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I agree with this. Pittman hasn't been bad but he's pretty non existant out there. Taylor has been just bad. He has the physical gifts but it feels like he doesn't know what to do with himself when its a one on one opportunity and just plunges straight into the defense. That kind of style will get you 3-5 yards a play but since the Jacksonville game, he has hardly made any plays. 

this video sums it up

Thr curse of the Wisconsin rb?  

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Thank you for pointing this out.  Although Wilkins did well, he's a 3rd year back, and Taylor is still a rookie and learning. 

This. That is all. Anything else is undetermined at this point. Frankly, it seems obvious to me that the veteran would look better. 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

This. That is all. Anything else is undetermined at this point. Frankly, it seems obvious to me that the veteran would look better. 

ok so let's give Wilkins 60-70 % of the snaps and Taylor 30%. If we are trying to win now, the best players should be getting the majority of the snaps. Wilkins is better than Taylor right now.

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why is it that our 2 2nd round picks need time to develop when rookies all over the league r lighting it up at their positions??  Pittman and  Taylor were suppose to be the most NFL ready at their postions. Both look lost.

This frustrates me too.  If they both disappeared, I dont feel like anyone would notice.  Chiefs meanwhile have a stud.

4 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I agree with this take. I'm not saying JT won't be a great pro because he will be. He's a rookie, and his vision isn't there yet. Going forward, Frank needs to utilize Hines and Wilkins more. 

Please no, they have been mostly ineffective all year in the run game. One good performance doesn't mean they are great.

58 minutes ago, Restored said:

I would agree and I think that's why the coaching staff has started to play him less and less as games have gone on. Wilkins is clearly the hot hand and will probably continue to be so until Taylor proves otherwise.

Wilkins had 2 carries in the past two games...they aren’t going to suddenly lean on him.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Please no, they have been mostly ineffective all year in the run game. One good performance doesn't mean they are great.

Agree. This forum flips on a dime. 

I am happy to see Wilkins and Hines have good games...but they have been nonexistent for weeks...because that’s who they are.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. This forum flips on a dime. 

I am happy to see Wilkins and Hines have good games...but they have been nonexistent for weeks...because that’s who they are.

Let’s be clear Hines had a good day catching the ball which is how he should be used.  He was awful running outside of one play.  I’d honestly think about lining Hines up a little at WR in the slot if TY and Duhlin are out.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like Frank said after the game he uses the three backs and kinda goes with who is doing the best early.  I expect that to contiune.

He hasn’t done that all season until now. And Hines is terrible running the football...but he still gets carries somehow.

People can clamor for Wilkins...but he’s not unseating JT. 

Just now, shasta519 said:

He hasn’t done that all season until now. And Hines is terrible running the football...but he still gets carries somehow.

People can clamor for Wilkins...but he’s not unseating JT. 

I am not going to argue the Hines point.  I am so anti-Hines running the ball it’s not even funny.  I groan anytime I see them line up on second and long out of the shotgun with Hines back there because I know what’s coming and it’s still yet to work.  

I fully expect Taylor to be the featured back as well but I do think if there are days where Wilkins is running better Wilkins will get more carries those days.  With that said I expect Taylor to be the guy.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s be clear Hines had a good day catching the ball which is how he should be used.  He was awful running outside of one play.  I’d honestly think about lining Hines up a little at WR in the slot if TY and Duhlin are out.  

Today was peak Hines. He should have 3-4 attempts like that a game where he can use his one trait...which is speed.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Today was peak Hines. He should have 3-4 attempts like that a game where he can use his one trait...which is speed.

I am all for getting him in space in the passing game a few times a game.  I think he can a lethal weapon that way.  Why the Colts are so committed to him being a between the tackles runner is beyond me.

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why is it that our 2 2nd round picks need time to develop when rookies all over the league r lighting it up at their positions??  Pittman and  Taylor were suppose to be the most NFL ready at their postions. Both look lost.

Yeah, I don't know to be honest.  Good things come to those who wait, I guess??.  Even Mack took a full year or two to get really good, so I'm not concerned about it.  As long as Pittman is blocking well and catching his looks, I'm happy there, and if JT still averaging 4.0+ on the year, that will be nice, IMHO.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:46 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I think injures were a big part of it but I do think the line got fired up and started playing better after that Lion took the cheap shot at Rivers.  That seemed to fire them up and I thought they played much better after that.  

I think this is a big part that's missing. We need a (at least one) motivator! It's not Frank Reich. He's more of a tactician. It will probably have to be one (or more) of the players. See Drew Brees for example.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, bestQBever said:

I agree with this. Pittman hasn't been bad but he's pretty non existant out there. Taylor has been just bad. He has the physical gifts but it feels like he doesn't know what to do with himself when its a one on one opportunity and just plunges straight into the defense. That kind of style will get you 3-5 yards a play but since the Jacksonville game, he has hardly made any plays. 

this video sums it up

Yikes. That was hard to watch. 

I think JT will get better and the more tape he watches, his vision will improve. He has the rest of the package put together. 

Man, I really don't think it would be that difficult to be a RB for the Colts. I mean this should be etched into the wall in the locker room: 

1. Look for #56

2. Run behind him

3. Profit 

On 11/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, krunk said:

Seems like everything flows much better and he picks up those yards that Taylor often misses.

According to sources Tayler was dealing with an ankle injury which is why Wilkins got the heavy workload. I do believe that Wilkins had that veteran vision and seemed more comfortable running behind that line. But I expect that from him he’s been with this team long enough to build that chemist.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

If wilkins starts those numbers  go down

I agree.  I think Wilkins looked really good in this past game, but in three years this is the first good game Wilkins has had.  He's had some good runs but this was his first good game.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from him in Detroit.  My major complaints about him he did not do in the Detroit game, and maybe he's turned the corner but the fact is, even with his good game, he is still at 3.73 ypc for the season.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, GoColts8818 said:

They did today for sure.  How much of that was Wilkins and how much of that was the Lions just being prepared for him we don’t know.  I have a feeling we will find out the next few weeks because I expect Wilkins to be the starter at least the next couple of weeks to see if a change in backs is what was needed.

Yeah, were stacking the box Wilkens like they were for Taylor? Without watching the tape I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Kevin bowen hit the nail on the head with his podcast yesterday....wilkins has started in 4 games and in those 4 games his average carry was like 2.3....not knocking him just saying

Those starts were probably all from his rookie year and for a portion of that year the OL sucked until Castanzo and Mack returned. Macks been in front of him for the most part.

I think as I stated in previous post Taylor is not one cutting and hitting the hole hard , he is being a bit indecisive and to me seems to be running not to fumble vs just trusting the blocking scheme and hitting the hole hard . Make a decision and hit hole hard 

The offense has been a lot better with what Philip Rivers has to work with at the WR position. Clearly, the Colts need to run the ball better, and Reich needs to step up the play-calling, and stop being so predictable and vanilla. I'm hoping Hilton can breakout at some point, and hopefully Parris will be back at some point.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I will say it once more. I think Wilkins is ready. I dont think hes that same back we saw in year 1 anymore.  Id keep the same rotation against the Ravens and see what happens.

I’m with you, man. Been on the Wilkins train since we drafted him, and I don’t have any false hopes of him becoming a superstar, but I think he deserves another big workload against BAL. See what he can do if he’s allowed to get into a rhythm again.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I will say it once more. I think Wilkins is ready. I dont think hes that same back we saw in year 1 anymore.  Id keep the same rotation against the Ravens and see what happens.

I agree. I'm a fan of Wilkins and always have been. Tough runner and gets tough yardage. He's running style is similar to Mack in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, TheLegend87 said:

Wilkins has one good game and now everyone thinks he should start over Hines and Taylor. He should have the have the most yards, he carried the ball twice as many times than JT did.

Hines should almost never run the ball. He's a great receiver out of the backfield and should be used as such. Taylor had an ankle injury and had a bad game. Before last week he was averaging 4-5 yards per carry, which is very good. Last week though, I believe Taylor got 10 carries for 22 yards and Wilkins got 20 carries for 89 yards and a td. Look at the yards per carry, it's not even close. 2.2 for Taylor and almost 4.5 for Wilkins. If Taylor is hurt, then use Wilkins til he heals up. Apparently something is wrong. He's also not aggressive in hitting the holes though, and that shows on tape. Wilkins should start as of now. An RB isn't a position where you need your higher draft picks to always start. It's not uncommon for a 5th rounder (such as Wilkins) to be better than a 2nd rounder (such as Taylor).

32 minutes ago, TheLegend87 said:

Wilkins has one good game and now everyone thinks he should start over Hines and Taylor. He should have the have the most yards, he carried the ball twice as many times than JT did.

I think it’s more about people who have always liked Wilkins chiming in.

I don’t really care who starts to be honest. I’m more for riding the hot hand, but I do think Wilkins should get a chance to prove himself hot or cold against BAL.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think it’s more about people who have always liked Wilkins chiming in.

I don’t really care who starts to be honest. I’m more for riding the hot hand, but I do think Wilkins should get a chance to prove himself hot or cold against BAL.

This 100%.

I havent been the biggest Wilkins fan since he joined the team. In fact by year 2 i called him a JAG. But id be lying if i said he hasnt had more than one good performance. Hes always had pretty good YPC since hes been here and in his limited opportunities ive seen him take it to the house more than once. One against Tenn and one against Buffalo i believe that was.

21 hours ago, krunk said:

Those starts were probably all from his rookie year and for a portion of that year the OL sucked until Castanzo and Mack returned. Macks been in front of him for the most part.

He started in a game last year he didn't dominate like he does off the bench he's a better role player

Archived