Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What QB would you trade for? What QB would you draft?

What QB would you trade for? What QB would you draft?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What QB would you trade for?

• Sam Darnold
    • Dwayne Haskins
    • Josh Rosen
    • None
  2. 2. What QB would you draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Zach Wilson
    • Jaime Newman
    • Kyle Trask
    • Don't draft until Late- Roll with Eason and Late round pick and cheap Vet

First, with the trade deadline coming up quickly you keep hearing the Colts linked to multiple players, specifically QBs.  Some of the usual names that I keep hearing are the following:

Sam Darnold

Dwayne Haskins

Josh Rosen

So my question is simple, which one would like to trade for as the developmental piece to compete with Eason during the offseason.  Personally, I would not touch Josh Rosen, he does not fit anything that the Colts want to do, even though it would obviously be the one QB that would not take much to trade for.  So that leaves Darnold or Haskins.  I know that everyone has talked about Darnold, including me, but I will be honest, Haskins somewhat intrigues me.  He is very young and has gotten no support from Washington.

Secondally,

Lets say that we don't trade for anyone and we look to the draft for a QB.  Lets be realistic and when it comes to who we could get, so that eliminates Lawrence and Fields.   So lets focus on the a couple of the names that I have heard pop up.

Trey Lance

Zach Wilson

Jaime Newman

Kyle Trask

So of those, who would draft.  I would lean toward Newman.  

I went with Darnold because I think he can still be great, although Rosen is on the practice squad so you don't have to trade for him. 

As for draft I went with Trey Lance because he was the only QB I recognized lol and no i am not sold on him.

I don't think any of the young QBs have shown enough for me to be desperate to trade for them(and if they had shown enough, they probably wouldn't be available for trade). The one that I can probably stomach us trading for(depending on price) is Darnold, but I don't think he's a surefire starter by any means, so...

In reality I prefer us draft our QB of the future. This has several advantages:

- they will be cheaper for longer(rookie scale contracts are no joke... if you get a good QB on rookie scale contract you are in very advantageous position in regard to the cap... you can spend the extra cash on other areas of the team, strengthen weak spots or emphasize strengths

- they come in as blank slates for the most part - they have not been scarred by horrible O-Line play(Darnold) and playcalling(Darnold, Haskins), they have not developed bad habits... our coaching staff would be the first professional coaching staff to get their hands on them and will be able to mold them in whatever way they see fit

My realistic favorite so far is Zach Wilson, BUT if we somehow are able to get into position to draft Trey Lance, I'd be pretty happy with that outcome too.

We’re not getting Trey Lance. Way too many bad teams this year for us to be in range. 13 teams with 2 wins or less currently. Jets, Jags, and Washington all need QBs. Wildcard teams that could be in the market are Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Patriots, and Lions.

Wilson, Newman, and Trask are the most realistic options for the Colts.

Archived