Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, basketballsteve said:

I absolutely hate how Reich handled the A.V. situation last year when A.V. was losing games for us and it was clear there was a problem and Reich did nothing until.....too late. I think that if Rivers plays poorly against the better teams that are coming on our schedule, Reich will stay with Rivers until it's too late. Call me an iconoclast but I don't subscribe to the idea that the only solution for the QB position is QB#1 all the time and QB#2 never sees the field unless injury or the season is "over". A Colts fan from 1967 I never lived in either of the Colts home markets and living in the Bay Area I saw all the Lamonica/Blanda games in the 1970 season (if you don't know what happened that season look it up as it's NFL history worth knowing) and it made an impression, even though the Morton/Staubach Cowboy teams advanced the "only one QB" case to the opposite. The A.V. situation and the going for it on 4th obsession made me question if Reich coaches with his head or his heart, I see his judgement as suspect although I don't hate him.

There were kickers brought in and none were good enough till McLaughlin was signed. So you cant say Frank did nothing. Besides, it was Ballard. not Frank making that call. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These threads are always interesting.   Reich is obviously a good dude...but as a HC...I am lukewarm. He has shown at times that he can scheme very well. Just look at how wide open Ebron was

I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. He starts slow, is unprepared, is conservative, makes the team boring to watch, is uncreative, and is one of those old-school

Aggressive isn't always good. There's a such thing as taking the points when you're supposed too. Risks such as throwing it deep, all out blitzes, Jet sweeps with the WRs, wildcat plays. Everybody goe

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm.  Do i blame Eberflus .....yes. However, these corners r not man corners. They r built to play zone. U dont get pressure with the front four and a qb will pick the zones apart. U blitz more and it makes the corners play more man. I believe Eberflus plays with the toys that  Ballard gave him.

I hate to bring up the name Grigson, because it triggers so many around here, but I cut RG slack when it came to draft picks because I always say its a collaborative effort between the GM and the HC.  In both regimes, Pagano and now Reich have influence into the picks.  HCs tend to get who they lobby for.  Maybe not in a specific round, or specific draft, but over the course of several years the GM got them the kind of players they wanted.

 

Yes, Ballard makes the pick, but I think the entire staff is responsible for the production.  I don't think that Ballard is forcing players on Reich.  I think they want to build a certain way and what we are seeing is the result of what they have done so far, together.  Not very imaginative because they don't have those kinds of players yet.  Some of the players they added for that purpose haven't worked out as planned so far.

 

So yes, Reich and Flus have to play the players that are here, and that has more to do with what we see on the field right now more so than any deficiencies in their coaching abilities.  JMO.  We're strong in the middle.  We're going to emphasize that right now.

 

And its kind of what I would expect to happen when your best player on offense is a Guard.

 

I would be patient before committing to an assessment of either Reich, Flus, or Ballard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I hate to bring up the name Grigson, because it triggers so many around here, but I cut RG slack when it came to draft picks because I always say its a collaborative effort between the GM and the HC.  In both regimes, Pagano and now Reich have influence into the picks.  HCs tend to get who they lobby for.  Maybe not in a specific round, or specific draft, but over the course of several years the GM got them the kind of players they wanted.

 

Yes, Ballard makes the pick, but I think the entire staff is responsible for the production.  I don't think that Ballard is forcing players on Reich.  I think they want to build a certain way and what we are seeing is the result of what they have done so far, together.  Not very imaginative because they don't have those kinds of players yet.  Some of the players they added for that purpose haven't worked out as planned so far.

 

So yes, Reich and Flus have to play the players that are here, and that has more to do with what we see on the field right now more so than any deficiencies in their coaching abilities.  JMO.  We're strong in the middle.  We're going to emphasize that right now.

 

And its kind of what I would expect to happen when your best player on offense is a Guard.

 

I would be patient before committing to an assessment of either Reich, Flus, or Ballard.

 

We-do-not-speak-with-time.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

I absolutely hate how Reich handled the A.V. situation last year when A.V. was losing games for us and it was clear there was a problem and Reich did nothing until.....too late. I think that if Rivers plays poorly against the better teams that are coming on our schedule, Reich will stay with Rivers until it's too late. Call me an iconoclast but I don't subscribe to the idea that the only solution for the QB position is QB#1 all the time and QB#2 never sees the field unless injury or the season is "over". A Colts fan from 1967 I never lived in either of the Colts home markets and living in the Bay Area I saw all the Lamonica/Blanda games in the 1970 season (if you don't know what happened that season look it up as it's NFL history worth knowing) and it made an impression, even though the Morton/Staubach Cowboy teams advanced the "only one QB" case to the opposite. The A.V. situation and the going for it on 4th obsession made me question if Reich coaches with his head or his heart, I see his judgement as suspect although I don't hate him.

Sometimes you have to stick with a guy because he’s the best you have and the best you can get at the moment.  Now that doesn’t apply to the AV situation.  Still We’ve seen Jacoby.  I don’t think he’s winning either of the games Rivers lost as a starter and I don’t think he’s better.  Eason is a 4th round pick who they are trying to groom and who no one who gets paid to know this stuff seems to think is ready yet, especially if you are counting on him to get you to the playoffs.  Playing him if you’ve been eliminated at the end of the season would be a different situation.  Chad Kelly or any other free agent or practice squad QB are there for a reason.  They aren’t better than Rivers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I hate to bring up the name Grigson, because it triggers so many around here, but I cut RG slack when it came to draft picks because I always say its a collaborative effort between the GM and the HC.  In both regimes, Pagano and now Reich have influence into the picks.  HCs tend to get who they lobby for.  Maybe not in a specific round, or specific draft, but over the course of several years the GM got them the kind of players they wanted.

 

Yes, Ballard makes the pick, but I think the entire staff is responsible for the production.  I don't think that Ballard is forcing players on Reich.  I think they want to build a certain way and what we are seeing is the result of what they have done so far, together.  Not very imaginative because they don't have those kinds of players yet.  Some of the players they added for that purpose haven't worked out as planned so far.

 

So yes, Reich and Flus have to play the players that are here, and that has more to do with what we see on the field right now more so than any deficiencies in their coaching abilities.  JMO.  We're strong in the middle.  We're going to emphasize that right now.

 

And its kind of what I would expect to happen when your best player on offense is a Guard.

 

I would be patient before committing to an assessment of either Reich, Flus, or Ballard.

 

I think the GM should have sole control of who he drafts. I understand it feels like a team effort when pagano/reich have influence on draft picks but that's not their job, it's the GM's job. And his head is on the line for draft picks.

 

When I personaly draft in Madden or do my mocks, I don't let others influence me on my picks!!! haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I think the GM should have sole control of who he drafts. I understand it feels like a team effort when pagano/reich have influence on draft picks but that's not their job, it's the GM's job. And his head is on the line for draft picks.

 

When I personaly draft in Madden or do my mocks, I don't let others influence me on my picks!!! haha

It’s a give and take.  Dungy once told a story of how him and Polian would sell each other on players and when asked for examples he said he sold Polian on Freeney and Polian sold him on Sanders.  Good leaders listen to those around them.  Yes the GM should ultimately have the final say but he should seek input of those around him that also have knowledge on the subject and can help him make the best decisions they can.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ultimately up to Ballard to make the pick but he does have a whole crew that has input. As they should, that is their job.

IMO the scouts have more influence than a coach. They are the ones who find the players and put them in Ballard's sight. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sometimes you have to stick with a guy because he’s the best you have and the best you can get at the moment.  Now that doesn’t apply to the AV situation.  Still We’ve seen Jacoby.  I don’t think he’s winning either of the games Rivers lost as a starter and I don’t think he’s better.  Eason is a 4th round pick who they are trying to groom and who no one who gets paid to know this stuff seems to think is ready yet, especially if you are counting on him to get you to the playoffs.  Playing him if you’ve been eliminated at the end of the season would be a different situation.  Chad Kelly or any other free agent or practice squad QB are there for a reason.  They aren’t better than Rivers.  

Rivers or J.B. a binary choice except the point of I am making is that it's only a binary choice (one or the other) if you think it's a binary choice, which I don't. Heresy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sometimes you have to stick with a guy because he’s the best you have and the best you can get at the moment.  Now that doesn’t apply to the AV situation.  Still We’ve seen Jacoby.  I don’t think he’s winning either of the games Rivers lost as a starter and I don’t think he’s better.  Eason is a 4th round pick who they are trying to groom and who no one who gets paid to know this stuff seems to think is ready yet, especially if you are counting on him to get you to the playoffs.  Playing him if you’ve been eliminated at the end of the season would be a different situation.  Chad Kelly or any other free agent or practice squad QB are there for a reason.  They aren’t better than Rivers.  

I would point out I did not say I dislike or hate Reich or the overall job he has done but rather I hate his part of the A.V. situation and I admit that it makes me wonder what drove his decision making process regarding staying with A.V. so long. Wasn't Reich was just fronting for A.V. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There were kickers brought in and none were good enough till McLaughlin was signed. So you cant say Frank did nothing. Besides, it was Ballard. not Frank making that call. 

 

No he did something, Reich was fronting for the A.V. situation....as in denying there was a problem

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

No he did something, Reich was fronting for the A.V. situation....as in denying there was a problem

Kind of hard for Frank to front or deny for anyone when it was in plain public view. 

Look, I was just as aggravated as anyone but there were other kickers brought in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kind of hard for Frank to front or deny for anyone when it was in plain public view. 

Look, I was just as aggravated as anyone but there were other kickers brought in. 

Adam is our kicker, he will figure it out. Adam did not figure it out and was not replaced (insert your excuse here).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, basketballsteve said:

Adam is our kicker, he will figure it out. Adam did not figure it out and was not replaced (insert your excuse here).

You are confusing coach speak with fronting. 

It's common practice that Chris or Frank are not throwing a player under the bus publically. 

Was I happy about it? No, but Chris did bring in other kickers so it's not like it was ignored. 

Let's just agree to disagree on our different points of views? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are confusing coach speak with fronting. 

It's common practice that Chris or Frank are not throwing a player under the bus publically. 

Was I happy about it? No, but Chris did bring in other kickers so it's not like it was ignored. 

Let's just agree to disagree on our different points of views? 

 

I agree we hear the message that was given differently and view the actions of the coach and front office in a different light as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

I would point out I did not say I dislike or hate Reich or the overall job he has done but rather I hate his part of the A.V. situation and I admit that it makes me wonder what drove his decision making process regarding staying with A.V. so long. Wasn't Reich was just fronting for A.V. ?

I didn’t say you did I was just saying what happening  with Rivers vs what happened Adam isn’t exactly apples to apples.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t say you did I was just saying what happening  with Rivers vs what happened Adam isn’t exactly apples to apples.

Agree totally it is not an apples to apples situation and recognize that my belief that the Colts would be better served by a binary QB solution (maybe 90%/10%) where J.B. might be used in a few scripted circumstances, especially considering they have very opposite strengths, is generally considered football heresy never to be considered.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, basketballsteve said:

Agree totally it is not an apples to apples situation and recognize that my belief that the Colts would be better served by a binary QB solution (maybe 90%/10%) where J.B. might be used in a few scripted circumstances, especially considering they have very opposite strengths, is generally considered football heresy never to be considered.

Well I think reich was going to try that but then it went so badly in the Jags game they haven’t done it since.  So I think they are open to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 5:45 PM, DougDew said:

I hate to bring up the name Grigson, because it triggers so many around here, but I cut RG slack when it came to draft picks because I always say its a collaborative effort between the GM and the HC.  In both regimes, Pagano and now Reich have influence into the picks.  HCs tend to get who they lobby for.  Maybe not in a specific round, or specific draft, but over the course of several years the GM got them the kind of players they wanted.

 

Yes, Ballard makes the pick, but I think the entire staff is responsible for the production.  I don't think that Ballard is forcing players on Reich.  I think they want to build a certain way and what we are seeing is the result of what they have done so far, together.  Not very imaginative because they don't have those kinds of players yet.  Some of the players they added for that purpose haven't worked out as planned so far.

 

So yes, Reich and Flus have to play the players that are here, and that has more to do with what we see on the field right now more so than any deficiencies in their coaching abilities.  JMO.  We're strong in the middle.  We're going to emphasize that right now.

 

And its kind of what I would expect to happen when your best player on offense is a Guard.

 

I would be patient before committing to an assessment of either Reich, Flus, or Ballard.

I like Reich. Flus.....he needs to be more agressive.  Ballard is treated like the Messiah on this board

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I like Reich. Flus.....he needs to be more agressive.  Ballard is treated like the Messiah on this board

Ballard should be treated like a Messiah considering some of the GMs we have had in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard should be treated like a Messiah considering some of the GMs we have had in the past.

Hmmmm......Polian....Grigson and now Ballard. Dont think Colts have had it to bad. Grigson being the hiccup

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard should be treated like a Messiah considering some of the GMs we have had in the past.

Well excluding the Irsay family they have only had Tobin, Polian, Grigson, and Ballard.  They have all got to the playoffs.  Honestly by GM standards they have done well since Jim talked his dad out of him being the GM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm......Polian....Grigson and now Ballard. Dont think Colts have had it to bad. Grigson being the hiccup

Well considering Polian won 1 super bowl in 32 years it could be said he was a huge choker as a GM. 

In Indy he jumped on Mannings back and road him like a dog. 

He also threw away the chance at an undefeated season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well considering Polian won 1 super bowl in 32 years it could be said he was a huge choker as a GM. 

In Indy he jumped on Mannings back and road him like a dog. 

He also threw away the chance at an undefeated season. 

So your calling the GM who doesn’t play the games just puts the players on the field to get you there yet suggesting a guy who played the games isn’t?  
 

 Guess what the undeafted season is a moot point because the still lost the Super Bowl.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

So your calling the GM who doesn’t play the games just puts the players on the field to get you there yet suggesting a guy who played the games isn’t?  
 

 Guess what the undeafted season is a moot point because the still lost the Super Bowl.

So losing games doesn't effect your momentum?  No one can say that resting players make you better in the playoffs. 

When you have a team like the Colts had that year you don't take your foot off the gas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

So losing games doesn't effect your momentum?  No one can say that resting players make you better in the playoffs. 

When you have a team like the Colts had that year you don't take your foot off the gas.

You’d have an argument if they didn’t come back and win two games before the Super a bowl and looked good in both of them.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You’d have an argument if they didn’t come back and win two games before the Super a bowl and looked good in both of them.  

I have an argument anyway. You just don't agree with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have an argument anyway. You just don't agree with it. 

You have a very flawed argument that only works if you want to blame the Super Bowl on losing the Jets game and over look how the team played after that point in getting to the Super Bowl.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have a very flawed argument that only works if you want to blame the Super Bowl on losing the Jets game and over look how the team played after that point in getting to the Super Bowl.

Once again. Your opinion, not mine. 

I have said all along I thought Polian was over rated and I stand by my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Once again. Your opinion, not mine. 

I have said all along I thought Polian was over rated and I stand by my opinion. 

On some level opinions have to be based on fact to be credible.  When you look at the facts about why the Colts lost the Super Bowl saying the Jets loss played a roll in that isn’t creditable.  Also when you look at the facts surrounding Polian’s career the idea he was overrated isn’t credible.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well considering Polian won 1 super bowl in 32 years it could be said he was a huge choker as a GM. 

In Indy he jumped on Mannings back and road him like a dog. 

He also threw away the chance at an undefeated season. 

I do agree with some of your issues on Polian

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Reich is a pretty good coach. I think his play calling is a little odd. Can we please stop running the ball up the middle on 2nd long?? I hate that. It's pretty predictable by now. He had some very creative plays with Luck at QB. I think the QB is a big reason why he's been a little less creative. Rivers is a statue back there and he lacks athleticism. Offensive line has regressed this year too. Not nearly as dominant. Not getting much of a push in the run game. He's really kinda limited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I think Reich is a pretty good coach. I think his play calling is a little odd. Can we please stop running the ball up the middle on 2nd long?? I hate that. It's pretty predictable by now. He had some very creative plays with Luck at QB. I think the QB is a big reason why he's been a little less creative. Rivers is a statue back there and he lacks athleticism. Offensive line has regressed this year too. Not nearly as dominant. Not getting much of a push in the run game. He's really kinda limited. 

Ever true statement here. Our Defense took a huge jump this season. So I take that for a plus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I think Reich is a pretty good coach. I think his play calling is a little odd. Can we please stop running the ball up the middle on 2nd long?? I hate that. It's pretty predictable by now. He had some very creative plays with Luck at QB. I think the QB is a big reason why he's been a little less creative. Rivers is a statue back there and he lacks athleticism. Offensive line has regressed this year too. Not nearly as dominant. Not getting much of a push in the run game. He's really kinda limited. 

I want to burn whatever page of the playbook the 2nd a long draw handoff to Hines 

play is on.  Whenever they call it I groan because I know what’s coming and shockingly if I know it apparently so do other teams as it has yet to work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want to burn whatever page of the playbook the 2nd a long draw handoff to Hines 

play is on.  Whenever they call it I groan because I know what’s coming and shockingly if I know it apparently so do other teams as it has yet to work.  

I noticed a few times Rivers audibled out of the first play into a run up the middle and it was stuffed for no gain or a loss every time. Not sure why. Whatever he was seeing, he was reading it wrong. One was with a 10 man box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, landrus13 said:

I noticed a few times Rivers audibled out of the first play into a run up the middle and it was stuffed for no gain or a loss every time. Not sure why. Whatever he was seeing, he was reading it wrong. One was with a 10 man box.

Sometimes you want to run right at a blitz. Not sure what down and distance you're talking about, but you can hit a home run vs a stacked box if that box is stacked to blitz. Of course you don't want to do that with Hines though. If it's stacked vs the run, then no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

Sometimes you want to run right at a blitz. Not sure what down and distance you're talking about, but you can hit a home run vs a stacked box if that box is stacked to blitz. Of course you don't want to do that with Hines though. If it's stacked vs the run, then no.

It was a 2nd and 10, I believe. I think it was the one we went backwards for 4 yards and ended up in 3rd and 14. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I noticed a few times Rivers audibled out of the first play into a run up the middle and it was stuffed for no gain or a loss every time. Not sure why. Whatever he was seeing, he was reading it wrong. One was with a 10 man box.

Peyton used to say sometimes it’s just about getting out of a really bad play.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sometimes you want to run right at a blitz. Not sure what down and distance you're talking about, but you can hit a home run vs a stacked box if that box is stacked to blitz. Of course you don't want to do that with Hines though. If it's stacked vs the run, then no.


If it’s a blitz from the edge, I’ve seen Peyton run away from the blitz with the OL shifting and leaving the Blitzer trailing without being covered because no matter how fast you are, you’re still having to get to the other side of the line. Just have to move the RB to the correct side of the QB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, landrus13 said:

It was a 2nd and 10, I believe. I think it was the one we went backwards for 4 yards and ended up in 3rd and 14. 

Sounds like they were stacking to blitz then. Not a bad idea if your OL can block, and your RB can hit the right hole.

Our OL did struggle in run blocking a bunch early. But, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a bad play if set up right. It's like taking a deep shot on 2nd and short. It's not what they expect and can be a big pick up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...