Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm ok with him.  He's not been proving that he's this offensive genius everyone made him out to be.  That said, he's better than Pagano by a long shot and the guys do seem to play hard for him. I'd like to see him let Rivers run full no huddle, from start to finish and mix it up.

I'm hoping he opens up things for Taylor soon. I believe he's averaging about 15 carries and I want to see that number go up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These threads are always interesting.   Reich is obviously a good dude...but as a HC...I am lukewarm. He has shown at times that he can scheme very well. Just look at how wide open Ebron was

I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. He starts slow, is unprepared, is conservative, makes the team boring to watch, is uncreative, and is one of those old-school

Aggressive isn't always good. There's a such thing as taking the points when you're supposed too. Risks such as throwing it deep, all out blitzes, Jet sweeps with the WRs, wildcat plays. Everybody goe

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. 

 

Reich is not young. He is inexperienced as a coach, but he doesn't have the years some of the younger coaches have to learn. He should know more by now. That's why I'm so hard on him. I expect this from a 35-40 year old coach, not a 58 year old coach.

 

Lol, reminds me of the scene from Million Dollar Baby. Eastwood  telling Hillary Swank about her opponent,  "she's younger, and more experienced than you". I loved that movie but not the ending.

 

About Reich, your right about him not being creative though in a interview he said the offense would be. The offense is actually opposite of what he said it would be... if you pay attention  to the obvious best offenses like KC, Rams etc... the difference is night & day on the creativity and playcalling. 

True he doesn't have the best playmakers at his disposal which makes more sense to not be so predictable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If you hate him and feel like he isn’t a good coach. Who would you want. I think he is amazing and if you listen to national shows he is regularly listed as one of the best coaches in the NFL. 

 

Amazing?  Really? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm ok with him.  He's not been proving that he's this offensive genius everyone made him out to be.  That said, he's better than Pagano by a long shot and the guys do seem to play hard for him. I'd like to see him let Rivers run full no huddle, from start to finish and mix it up.

And let's run so we can get some play action pass in there too!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If you hate him and feel like he isn’t a good coach. Who would you want. I think he is amazing and if you listen to national shows he is regularly listed as one of the best coaches in the NFL. 

I don't hate him at all. Still not sure what to think of him as a coach. But who are all the people regularly listing him as one of the best coaches in the NFL? Haven't seen him make one top 10 list. I've seen him in the 12-22 range which is average. And the high ranking (12th) I saw, even acknowledged that it might be too high.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been a Colts fan since the early to mid 1990's, so maybe some of the older fans can help me, but it seems no matter the regime we have this weird spirit hanging over us forcing us to get off to a slow start every game, so I'm fine with Reich

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I would like to start off by saying that I fully support Frank Reich.

 

Frank is a great coach but his biggest weakness is being unprepared. He needs to do a much better job at getting the Colts ready from the get go.

 

These slow starts arent gonna fly with the fast paced Os like Packers and so forth. 

 

What are your thoughts on Reich?

 

Do you like him?

Do you hate him?

What would you like to see different?

 

  So a 'great' coach is unprepared ? And an 'unprepared' coach is great ?

 

  Hmmm....

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, indykmj said:

 

  So a 'great' coach is unprepared ? And an 'unprepared' coach is great ?

 

  Hmmm....

 

  

He has his flaws but I support him. He is a great leader and I can tell players like him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Amazing?  Really? 

Yep.  Good Morning Football (Kyle Brandt and Peter Schrager), NFL Live/ Sunday NFL Countdown (Matt Hasselback, Randy Moss, Rex Ryan, Louis Riddick) , NFL on Fox (Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson),  Colin Cowherd, to name a few.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reich was a great hire considering the situation we were in with that buttwipe from NE bailing last second.  Buuuuuuttttt, still not a great coach.  He isn’t bad and we could do way worse. His play calling is a bit suspect and he reminds me of Pagano at times but can’t really think of many people I would take instead.   Just a bunch of crazy stuff happening to this team but they are still making lemonade out of it, changing coaches would only hurt.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Reich was a great hire considering the situation we were in with that buttwipe from NE bailing last second.  Buuuuuuttttt, still not a great coach.  He isn’t bad and we could do way worse. His play calling is a bit suspect and he reminds me of Pagano at times but can’t really think of many people I would take instead.   Just a bunch of crazy stuff happening to this team but they are still making lemonade out of it, changing coaches would only hurt.  

Now I want lemonade thanks lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:I hate him. He is basically Pagano with a little more football knowledge. He starts slow, is unprepared, is conservative, makes the team boring to watch, is uncreative, and is one of those old-school coaches that goes with the veteran more times than not. 

 

I want to see him use our players to their strengths. He does that with Rivers a bit, but no one else. Come up with a gameplan. Pass the ball, run the ball, get aggressive. Show the opponent you want to tear them apart. Consistently put up points, take risks. Blitz more often then you do, get pressure and turnovers. Don't favor the veterans because they are older, play the best players all the time. Look at the top teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and 49ers. Get ideas that you can mix with your own playbook to make the team better.

 

Reich is not young. He is inexperienced as a coach, but he doesn't have the years some of the younger coaches have to learn. He should know more by now. That's why I'm so hard on him. I expect this from a 35-40 year old coach, not a 58 year old coach.

Coach going for that 4th down against the Jags in week 1 is the opposite of being conservative. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Coach going for that 4th down against the Jags in week 1 is the opposite of being conservative. 

Because you go on 4th doesn't mean you're not risk averse, especially early in a game. Reich typically follows the analytics on those calls. That early call was 4&1 on the 3, and it was very early in the game. The problem was, he used Hines up the gut... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Because you go on 4th doesn't mean you're not risk averse, especially early in a game. Reich typically follows the analytics on those calls. That early call was 4&1 on the 3, and it was very early in the game. The problem was, he used Hines up the gut... 

I never see Colts games live in Texas unless they play Texans. Have they still been using Hines on 4th and short?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes on the high side of good so far.  I think Ballard has a slightly longer leash.  But the clock doesnt even start ticking until they install "their qb".  Should be next year. Then I think Reich has 3 years to "prove it".  Ballard likely has 5 (to try a different coach)...just my opinion,  but with as fair minded as irsay seems to be it sounds reasonable to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I never see Colts games live in Texas unless they play Texans. Have they still been using Hines on 4th and short?

No, it's been better. But can't say he won't gain. Last game we were down 21 fast, so running in general went out the door for a while. If you have friends or family in IN, you should really look at getting a slingbox.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest knock on Reich is that it almost appears he tries to fit players to his scheme and plays as opposed to scheming the plays around the player’s strengths 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No, it's been better. But can't say he won't gain. Last game we were down 21 fast, so running in general went out the door for a while. If you have friends or family in IN, you should really look at getting a slingbox.

I unfortunately know nobody from Indy. I first became a fan during the Harbaugh era and judt stuck with them over the years .

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I unfortunately know nobody from Indy. I first became a fan during the Harbaugh era and judt stuck with them over the years .

Bummer. Why a fan of Harbaugh specifically?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coltfaninnewyork said:

I like him but without consistent quarterback play ,I don’t care if your belichick you will not get to the promised land .No Brady pats 2-4

Several teams won w garbage QBs

Link to post
Share on other sites

I said some of this in another thread

 

I think Reich is simply a co-contributor to a rebuild process that started 4 years ago and took on another level after Luck retired.  We have built the team from the middle of the field first, then out to the edges.  I think the talent of this team is definitely in the middle.  A person could argue that our top 4 players right now...assuming that TY and AC are on a permanent downside....are probably Buckner, Nelson, Leonard, and Blackmon (projecting he finishes the season playing the same way).  Throw Ryan Kelly in there somewhere too.

 

 Our talent at the edge positions of CB, WR, DE, and probably OT is not as good.  JT is a good RB, but even he does come from a college program that ran up the middle a lot.

 

I think we look how we look now because rebuild is not complete.  Either we emphasized building the middle first, or our outside players simply haven't worked out as well as our middle players.  Frank is going to call the plays that have the best chance of succeeding based upon what the matchups look like.  And in general, the rest of the NFL probably emphasizes the outside positions more than we have.

 

Either way, we are who we are because of where the talent level is on the team, on the field,  and where it is not, and there is not much that Frank can do about that.

 

Its not a blame game.  We have our successes and failures.  Root for the Colts.  Enjoy the rebuild, but keep expectations reasonable.

 

Edit: Flus is probably also protective of his outside/edge matchups, so he plays softer to keep things in front of the D,

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I view him as mediocre.  Might not be fair to him but that's my take.  You can win with mediocre if you have a talented roster but there's a cap on your ceiling.

 

Good chance that Ballard knows this and will make a change if things don't go the way he wants in the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I like him but without consistent quarterback play ,I don’t care if your belichick you will not get to the promised land .No Brady pats 2-4

It is not always bout Brady. What was their record after they had the winning streak last year and that was with Brady? They have lost a lot of players to Covid and Pat need talent

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

What?  The defence is fine? Please explain.

We have very good players at most positions, and two elite players in Leonard and Buckner. The talent is fine. The problem is how conservative we are on defense. We never blitz or get pressure on the QB, and these are bad QBs for the most part we've played. When we played middle of the road QBs like Mayfield and Burrow, they ripped us to shreds until we adjusted. The Colts blitz the QB around 12.4% of the time (I believe), while a team like the Ravens blitzes around 47.6% of the time. I'm pretty close on both. We aren't even close to what we should be doing. The secondary does worse as a result, we get little to no pressure on the QB, and teams move the ball down the field as a result and score. Now imagine what will happen against a brutal 2nd half schedule the next 2 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have very good players at most positions, and two elite players in Leonard and Buckner. The talent is fine. The problem is how conservative we are on defense. We never blitz or get pressure on the QB, and these are bad QBs for the most part we've played. When we played middle of the road QBs like Mayfield and Burrow, they ripped us to shreds until we adjusted. The Colts blitz the QB around 12.4% of the time (I believe), while a team like the Ravens blitzes around 47.6% of the time. I'm pretty close on both. We aren't even close to what we should be doing. The secondary does worse as a result, we get little to no pressure on the QB, and teams move the ball down the field as a result and score. Now imagine what will happen against a brutal 2nd half schedule the next 2 months.

Hmmmm.  Do i blame Eberflus .....yes. However, these corners r not man corners. They r built to play zone. U dont get pressure with the front four and a qb will pick the zones apart. U blitz more and it makes the corners play more man. I believe Eberflus plays with the toys that  Ballard gave him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm.  Do i blame Eberflus .....yes. However, these corners r not man corners. They r built to play zone. U dont get pressure with the front four and a qb will pick the zones apart. U blitz more and it makes the corners play more man. I believe Eberflus plays with the toys that  Ballard gave him.

If that's true, then I don't know what to do. Is there any way we can get more pressure while keeping our scheme the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If that's true, then I don't know what to do. Is there any way we can get more pressure while keeping our scheme the same?

This scheme is dated. When Ballard came to town and was intent on playing this scheme, I cringed. U need a front four with all pros to make it effective.  I am some what exaggerating. I still stand by may claim that this team will never go far with Ballard as the GM.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This scheme is dated. When Ballard came to town and was intent on playing this scheme, I cringed. U need a front four with all pros to make it effective.  I am some what exaggerating. I still stand by may claim that this team will never go far with Ballard as the GM.

Ballard has the team trending in the right direction but yes we do have several weaknesses 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely hate how Reich handled the A.V. situation last year when A.V. was losing games for us and it was clear there was a problem and Reich did nothing until.....too late. I think that if Rivers plays poorly against the better teams that are coming on our schedule, Reich will stay with Rivers until it's too late. Call me an iconoclast but I don't subscribe to the idea that the only solution for the QB position is QB#1 all the time and QB#2 never sees the field unless injury or the season is "over". A Colts fan from 1967 I never lived in either of the Colts home markets and living in the Bay Area I saw all the Lamonica/Blanda games in the 1970 season (if you don't know what happened that season look it up as it's NFL history worth knowing) and it made an impression, even though the Morton/Staubach Cowboy teams advanced the "only one QB" case to the opposite. The A.V. situation and the going for it on 4th obsession made me question if Reich coaches with his head or his heart, I see his judgement as suspect although I don't hate him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Autry is playing at much higher level than Sheard. Sheard was a better run stopper, but that's about it. Autry is at his best when he's playing DE, where he's had his most productive years. Moving him back outside (like 2018) was a good move. He was not near as productive last year when they had him playing DT.    While Autry is a tweener like DE/DT guy, he's closer to DE on the spectrum. Lewis is a tweener too, but he's on the other end of the spectrum (better rushing from DT) IMO. Lewis likely could not fill the role that Autry is playing this year. He was more productive rushing inside at OSU too.   Autry in his 3 years with Colts 2018 at DE (12 games/11 starts) -  9 sacks / 13 TFLs = 0.81 sacks/start & 1.21 TFL/start 2019 at DT (14 games/14 starts) - 3.5 sacks / 4 TFLs = 0.25 sacks/start & 0.29 TFL/start 2020 at DE (9 games / 8 starts) - 6 sacks / 7 TFLs = 0.75 sacks/start & 0.88 TFL/start   Meanwhile, Lewis has only registered sacks against two teams, with very bad OLs.   I'd add that Autry's production this year is even more impressive because we've now got Buckner eating too.   In short, letting him walk would be silly. He won't be expensive.
    • Yeah as I've posted in salary cap thread.     Darnold would only cost us $4.7m next season.   If Rivers decides to retire I would definitely be on boars to take a flyer on Darnold.   His 5th yr option for 2022 would be in the $25m range though.
    • If Lamar Jackson is activated, then I like Brown a lot. Just make sure Lamar is playing first! 
    • @Jared Cisneros @teganslaw   Marquise Hollywood Brown - opportunity plus opposition meet with the Cowboys. Both Mark Andrews and Willie Snead are likely out because of Covid protocols they won’t clear by Tuesday.   Other than running the ball, who’s Lamar going to throw to? I feel he’s going to carry the momentum from the Steelers game only because of the lack of options for Lamar in the passing game.   Thpughts??? Of course, if Mark Andrews were playing that I also have on my roster, I’d be playing him over Marquise Brown.
    • Wentz appears to be a mess right now.  And his contract just makes acquiring him almost prohibitive.  I think Darnold makes the most sense if we have to move on from Rivers.  He's talented, his contract is perfect and I think Frank and his staff could really up his game.  I think we are the perfect spot for him.  Ballard could use the cap savings to further solidify and strengthen the team.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...