Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patmon a TE possibility for 2021?


Recommended Posts

 He’s 6’4”, 225lbs and ran a sub-4.5 40

Maybe he could put on 10lbs and replace Burton?

  Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

 

  Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • coltsfeva changed the title to Patmon a TE possibility for 2021?
9 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

 He’s 6’4”, 225lbs and ran a sub-4.5 40

Maybe he could put on 10lbs and replace Burton?

  Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

 

  Thoughts?

 

My thoughts - It is bad idea that will never happen.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why replace Burton? He has shown he can make plays when he is used. 

 I’m talking about next year but you’re right, if Burton has a big year, the Colts might just want to keep him.
  But Patmon does have some talent and is close to TE size, should the Colts decide to cut strings with Burton. 
   They’re going to have to pay Allie Cox.

Maybe they’ll get a good one in the draft. Whatever they decide to do, this group could be a strength next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

My thoughts - It is bad idea that will never happen.

 At one time, conventional wisdom would say, making a basketball player into a TE wouldn’t work. There may be a situation where it would make sense to consider it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

 At one time, conventional wisdom would say, making a basketball player into a TE wouldn’t work. There may be a situation where it would make sense to consider it.


Erm..... 

Jimmy Graham
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Julius Thomas (had a couple dominating years in Denver)
Mo Alie-Cox (on the rise)

Some decent ex-basketball players turned TE there....

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

 At one time, conventional wisdom would say, making a basketball player into a TE wouldn’t work. There may be a situation where it would make sense to consider it.

 

Tell me - name a time when a WR drafted out of college became a TE in the league?  Has it happened - sure but just by odds alone, it is     unlikely for Patmon.

 

They drafted him because they liked his skillsets, one of which is his size for a WR.  That has not all of the sudden changed.  

  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is ever gonna happen.

 

But as it turns out, Trey Burton himself was a swiss army knife for the Gators in college. He played option QB (which is why he was the trigger man in the Philly Special), and lined up all over the place as a playmaker, including as a wide receiver. Coming out, he was 6'2, 224 pounds, 4.6 forty, 22 reps on the bench... I liked him and wanted the Colts to sign him as a UDFA.

 

Patmon's measurables and workout numbers aren't far off of from Burton's. He's bigger, longer, faster, more explosive, which is why he plays WR and not TE. He's impressive on the bench for a WR, 15 reps, with 33" arms. Like I said, I don't see him moving to TE, but he's big and strong enough to be a factor in the run game; in fact, he should dominate as a run blocker from any WR spot. The question is whether he'll make the most of his physical traits.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

 

Tell me - name a time when a WR drafted out of college became a TE in the league?  Has it happened - sure but just by odds alone, it is     unlikely for Patmon.

 

They drafted him because they liked his skillsets, one of which is his size for a WR.  That has not all of the sudden changed.  

  

Darren Waller was a WR at Ga Tech. Ricky Seals-Jones did it in AZ. Eagles are trying Hakeem Butler at TE but don’t remember it happening very often. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Burton is starting to get a rhythm going with Rivers so Ballard might just bring him back on another short deal if he continues to ball out. In a mock draft I did a month ago I had Ballard selecting Freiermuth in the first round. I don't think that is going to happen because he will not reach for a Tight End in the first round when the position is not a #1 priority.

 

Patmon is a WR, and converting him to TE would be a mistake. Whether he's on this team going forward or not he will never be a TE  in the NFL. Playing the TE position is a lot more than just catching the Football so thats why I say no. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

 He’s 6’4”, 225lbs and ran a sub-4.5 40

Maybe he could put on 10lbs and replace Burton?

  Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

 

  Thoughts?


What’s the obsession with playing guys out of position on this forum? He was drafted as a WR and I’m sure he will remain one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

 He’s 6’4”, 225lbs and ran a sub-4.5 40

Maybe he could put on 10lbs and replace Burton?

  Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

 

  Thoughts?

I'd prefer to see what he can do at WR first. It's hard to find a 6-4/225 guys that runs 4.5 well. The big dig on him is he doesn't play to his size. That would not bode well for him in the TE space...

 

Burton is more a bully slot/HB than TE, so very different skillset. 

 

I like Doyle and Mo as prototypical TEs. Mo needs more snaps when he's back and healthy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

 I’m talking about next year but you’re right, if Burton has a big year, the Colts might just want to keep him.
  But Patmon does have some talent and is close to TE size, should the Colts decide to cut strings with Burton. 
   They’re going to have to pay Allie Cox.

Maybe they’ll get a good one in the draft. Whatever they decide to do, this group could be a strength next year.

 

 

MAC is a RFA next year. To keep him , I would think the Colts will need to put a 2nd round tender on him. That would mean right around a 3 mill salary for 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

MAC is a RFA next year. To keep him , I would think the Colts will need to put a 2nd round tender on him. That would mean right around a 3 mill salary for 2021.

Keep in mind we have right of first refusal regardless of tender level if another team offers.

 

Since he was a UFA we can offer him anything IIRC. It comes down to do we think a team will offer him 2.9 or more, and would we take a 2nd for him. 

 

If we're smart, we extend him before the season is over to a team friendly deal. We should have done that this offseason IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Darren Waller was a WR at Ga Tech. Ricky Seals-Jones did it in AZ. Eagles are trying Hakeem Butler at TE but don’t remember it happening very often. 

 

I remember I had Waller in my mock with intentions to make him a TE. I was disappointed colts didn't draft him but pleased a top organization,Ravens did and made him a TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Darren Waller was a WR at Ga Tech. Ricky Seals-Jones did it in AZ. Eagles are trying Hakeem Butler at TE but don’t remember it happening very often. 

Waller is 6-6 and 255 though. He was really too tall/big to play WR in the NFL. RSJ is 6-5 and 245, kinda the same deal as Waller.

 

Not saying 6-4 is too short for TE or anything, but he's criticized for not playing up to his 6-4 lol. The two guys you mentioned are just kinda outside of the typical WR parameters.

 

Funchess is a guy I always thought should of stuck to TE. IMO, it was bad for his career when he switched to WR. I think he would have been far more of a weapon at TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chucklez said:


Erm..... 

Jimmy Graham
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Julius Thomas (had a couple dominating years in Denver)
Mo Alie-Cox (on the rise)

Some decent ex-basketball players turned TE there....

you misinterpreted his comment. Try reading it again

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting idea. If he gets some playing time it'd be easier to make an informed opinion on the subject. But with not seeing any snaps is impossible to tell from a fan perspective. I'm sure the coaches and Ballard would explore that route of they think it could work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind we have right of first refusal regardless of tender level if another team offers.

 

Since he was a UFA we can offer him anything IIRC. It comes down to do we think a team will offer him 2.9 or more, and would we take a 2nd for him. 

 

If we're smart, we extend him before the season is over to a team friendly deal. We should have done that this offseason IMO. 

 

 I would think the Colts would probably take a 2nd for him . If they valued him more than that for another million or so , they could put a first on him or just extend him like you mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 9:53 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Why replace Burton? He has shown he can make plays when he is used. 

 

for 1 burton sucks or for the hypersensitive... Below Average 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

 I would think the Colts would probably take a 2nd for him . If they valued him more than that for another million or so , they could put a first on him or just extend him like you mentioned.

I think they just offer him a team friendly deal, let him shop, and match if not too much. Not totally sure how the "original round tender" works with UDFAs, but I don't see many if any offering a 2nd round for him. That is, unless he balls out the rest of the year. Giving snaps will likely be split pretty evenly between Doyle and Burton too, so not sure how much of a chance he'll have to shine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MFT5 said:

 

for 1 burton sucks or for the hypersensitive... Below Average 

He's not a great prototypical TE, but he is a decent slot bully/HB/gimmick guy.

I don't really even see him as a TE. More of a multipurpose guy. He's probably taking more or as many snaps away from slot as he is from TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Horse dung

 

trey burton has 1200 yds receiving en 5 years of a nfl career as a specialty receiving te ... he's definitely below avg

 

your talent evaluation is on par w his career if yu think burton is anything other than novelty

 

novelty - a small inexpensive toy/ornament 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He's not a great prototypical TE, but he is a decent slot bully/HB/gimmick guy.

I don't really even see him as a TE. More of a multipurpose guy. He's probably taking more or as many snaps away from slot as he is from TE.

 

thank yu he's nothing special 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

thank yu he's nothing special 

I think he can be very productive, just not as a typical TE.

There are plenty of uses for him. I just don't want him to take a lot of snaps away from 2 TE sets with Doyle and Mo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think they just offer him a team friendly deal, let him shop, and match if not too much. Not totally sure how the "original round tender" works with UDFAs, but I don't see many if any offering a 2nd round for him. That is, unless he balls out the rest of the year. Giving snaps will likely be split pretty evenly between Doyle and Burton too, so not sure how much of a chance he'll have to shine. 



Yeah , I pretty much agree with that.

 

oh.. the deal is teams are returned a draft pick which was the round the player was drafted in. For UFAs , it would be zippo. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah , I pretty much agree with that.

 

oh.. the deal is teams are returned a draft pick which was the round the player was drafted in. For UFAs , it would be zippo. 

I tried to look it up. It wasn't really clear on UDFAs. As long as we can offer whatever, and have right of refusal, I'm fine. 

 

If he does end up balling out, he might have serious suitors, and we might have to think about a 2nd round tender. Either way, got options. I really do hope he gets more snaps/targets though. He was absolutely a beast downfield. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think anyone said he was special but he better than your "he sucks and below average". 

 

explain how a receiving TE 5 year career going on 6 adds up to a good season and he's not below avg ... burton trash and this is enough discussing the bum 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

 

explain how a receiving TE 5 year career going on 6 adds up to a good season and he's not below avg ... burton trash and this is enough discussing the bum 

It's called being injured. 

But don't let that get in the way of you knowing everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's called being injured. 

But don't let that get in the way of you knowing everything. 

 

excuses, he's always injured that's part of being burton ... he sucks that's that ... undrafted for a reason lol

 

1200 yards en 5 years that's pitiful by any  deductive reasoning 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

 

excuses, he's always injured that's part of being burton ... he sucks that's that ... undrafted for a reason lol

 

1200 yards en 5 years that's pitiful by any  deductive reasoning 

Sorry, I will trust Ballard's judgment over yours anytime. 

He had 3 pretty good years with Chicago till injuries took him out of games. 

There is no reasoning with you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I will trust Ballard's judgment over yours anytime. 

He had 3 pretty good years with Chicago till injuries took him out of games. 

There is no reasoning with you. 

he had two years in Chicago. the last was not good at all. 

he had 4 with Philly, and wasn't anything the first two, and mediocre the last two.

was more gadget than anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

he had two years in Chicago. the last was not good at all. 

he had 4 with Philly, and wasn't anything the first two, and mediocre the last two.

was more gadget than anything.

 

Glad someone here knows what's going on lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

Glad someone here knows what's going on lol 

I don't think he's trash.

I just think it's improper to think of him, or try to use him, as a prototypical TE.

 

We used him well last game. He can be beneficial situationally.

He's not a guy you want posting in the EZ though, or trying to fight for a ball out wide.

He's best as a bully slot and gimmick guy. 

Pretty simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

he had two years in Chicago. the last was not good at all. 

he had 4 with Philly, and wasn't anything the first two, and mediocre the last two.

was more gadget than anything.

2014- special teams - 4 tackles, blocked punt returned for a TD

2015- special teams- 13 tackles- offense 3 catches 18 yd average

2016- special teams- 8 tackles 2 forced fumbles- offense 37 catches 327 tds 1 td 20 first downs

2017- special teams= 6 tackles- offense 248 tds 5 tds 14 first downs

2018- offense 54 catches 569 yds 6 tds 29 first downs

2019- injury filled season

I think his value is more that giver credit for.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What good is this back and forth for anyone on this topic?

 

Is there any fulfillment about the end result?

 

If you notice a disagreement with someone and it keeps going back and forth just stop posting and responding to said poster. It literally does nothing.

 

It will eventually lead to intervention and potential warnings. Also, if you choose to interact in such activity, please don't come crying wolf on something when you are just as guilty.

 

Colts are coming off a bye week, everyone should just be excited about the game coming up tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • LOL.. it would be nice if things went easy like that. And you'd be maxing things out, without any carry over needed for the big contracts the next year.
    • Rivers is on pace to throw less TDs because of Reich's game plans and play calling. It's no secret. After a rough start, PR's INT % is less than even his 2018 stat, which was a very very good year. His QBR and Passer Rating have both been consistently improving since early as well. His YPG and ANY/A are now 12th, and completion % is top 10. He's improved dramatically.    And that's with musical chairs at WR and TE, no preseason, covid camp, on a new team, and in a new scheme.   Houston is top 10 in the league in win rate. He's also tied with Autry in pressures, and only a few behind Buchner. Old or not, he's playing well.    Xavier, old or not, he's having another pro bowl type year. His PFF rating is at an all time high, higher than his previous PB years.   Harris and Cox are ERFA, so yes cheap. 2M isn't all that cheap for Pascal, who is really a #4-5 guy. AQM might be cheap, but that doesn't solve much. Pascal is a #4-5 guy. If he's you're #1 or #2, or even #3, you're QB is more than likely going to struggle. It's what makes Rivers even more valuable, but he's been good at tossing to everyone......   I love PC, but assuming he can stay healthy is nothing but "hopeful" right now. And hope isn't a great strategy. I love Pittman too, but I wouldn't call him proven yet either. He is likely to be proven, but that gives us one guy that's a legit #1, 2, or 3. The fact you're comparing Winston to Rivers is pretty twilight zone type of stuff.    Colts were first in to Rivers, and acted quickly. And if Ballard's approach to paying QB isn't enough, or the stats improvement isn't enough, he's also led us to big comebacks, and carried the team in our two biggest wins when the defense stunk it up in the 1st half. It's not going to be a bidding war IF Rivers continues to play like he is. Ballard will offer him, Rivers will accept.      
    • lets take the 40 million you put out there and guess rivers takes no pay cut .   okay with 40 million left autry and rhodes 14 million pascal 2 million , harris 1 million muhammad 2 million burton 2 million cox 2 million odum 2 million , stallworth 2million . that is 27 million spent and keeping the core now the colts have 13 million left to go get a veteran wide receiver and pass rusher  for 13 million  combined .    we would have the same team as this year just swap out hilton and houston for another veteran and replace carrie with rogers and tell .    plus we can draft a 1st round pass rusher and second round corner .   so we can still have autry and turray start with a 1st rounder in the mix and keep rhodes moore rock with rogers and tell and another 2nd round corner .   plus take a tight end  and some depth in the later rounds
    • We are 19-4 against the Titans. Not a wild call.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...