Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Orr has passed


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I was born in Baltimore Women’s Hospital in 1954.  The 58 game was on my parents 9” black and white tv in what must have been a 5’ console. I was in high school in Southern York Co Pa as the Colts, Orioles, and Bullets were successful.  Colts were World Champs in 71, after losing SB III in 68. Orioles won World Series in 66 and 70, and League Champs or Division Champs in 69, 70, 71, 73, and 74.  I watched Johnny U’s last TD pass in a Colts uniform in person.

 

 In that area at age 15-20, were great times!   I’ve got a brick from Memorial Stadium as a souvenir.  I moved to Indy in 1980,  (kept up by getting the Baltimore News American Sports Page) and the Colts eventually followed. 

 

I was old enough to (born in 49) watch the 58-59 Colt wins but wasn't a fan until 1960. So I only like most just saw the films. Those years you mention were good for me also as I was a Pirate fan They had 2 great series with your Orioles. I also went to 3 games of the 60 WS between Pitt and NY. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

A play used earlier that 68 season where he was wide open for a catch, a play designed for him as the primary receiver which left many scratching their heads as to how Earl could not have seen him open.

 

I've read all the excuses.  Matte said he pitched the ball back a little short.  Morrall said the sun came out and was in his eyes.  The band confused him.  blah, blah, blah.   He knew where that ball was supposed to go.

 

Didn't Art Donovan get liquored up one time and admit the fix was in?  And then retract it when he sobered up?  Between the NFL and the mob, you don't want to cross that line.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are mistaken on that 27 inch TV in 1958. Most all TVs is 1958 were 14 and 17 inch TVs. 

Leave it to you to post that. I guess you lived in my house back then. You wrote "Most TVs is 1958..." no reply for that

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

I've read all the excuses.  Matte said he pitched the ball back a little short.  Morrall said the sun came out and was in his eyes.  The band confused him.  blah, blah, blah.   He knew where that ball was supposed to go.

 

Didn't Art Donovan get liquored up one time and admit the fix was in?  And then retract it when he sobered up?  Between the NFL and the mob, you don't want to cross that line.

  
 

I think it was Bubba Smith, but he may have been liquored up also ! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Leave it to you to post that. I guess you lived in my house back then. You wrote "Most TVs is 1958..." no reply for that

If you want to whine about a typo feel free. 

It was very rare to find a 27 inch TV in the 50s. 

Your family must have been pretty well off to be able to afford one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you want to whine about a typo feel free. 

It was very rare to find a 27 inch TV in the 50s. 

Your family must have been pretty well off to be able to afford one. 

 

We had the first Zenith color TV in the neighborhood.  1964.  I can't remember the size, but it was a beautiful wooden console, with this funky four button remote.  We'd have friends and family come over on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza.

 

My memory may be a bit off, but I think there weren't too many shows in color in those days.

 

We weren't well off.  Probably middle class at best.  But both parents worked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

We had the first Zenith color TV in the neighborhood.  1964.  I can't remember the size, but it was a beautiful wooden console, with this funky four button remote.  We'd have friends and family come over on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza.

 

My memory may be a bit off, but I think there weren't too many shows in color in those days.

 

We weren't well off.  Probably middle class at best.  But both parents worked.

Respectfully, We were talking about 1958, not 1964. 

Bigger screen TVs in the 50s were very, very expensive. 

He said he was watching a 27 inch TV but the average size TVs were 14-17 inch TVs in the 50s.

TVs in the 50s were $110. dollars per square inch in the 50s. 

People were still basically listening to radio more than watching TVs during that time. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-tvs-really-cheaper-than-ever-we-go-back-a-few-decades-to-see/#comments

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Respectfully, We were talking about 1958, not 1964. 

Bigger screen TVs in the 50s were very, very expensive. 

He said he was watching a 27 inch TV but the average size TVs were 14-17 inch TVs in the 50s.

TVs in the 50s were $110. dollars per square inch in the 50s. 

People were still basically listening to radio more than watching TVs during that time. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-tvs-really-cheaper-than-ever-we-go-back-a-few-decades-to-see/#comments

 

 


I wasn’t trying to make a point.  Just relating a memory...while I still have some!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Respectfully, We were talking about 1958, not 1964. 

Bigger screen TVs in the 50s were very, very expensive. 

He said he was watching a 27 inch TV but the average size TVs were 14-17 inch TVs in the 50s.

TVs in the 50s were $110. dollars per square inch in the 50s. 

People were still basically listening to radio more than watching TVs during that time. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-tvs-really-cheaper-than-ever-we-go-back-a-few-decades-to-see/#comments

We are talking late fifties not forties and no one was listening to radio because we all had TV and remote control came out in 59 +/- and color a year or two later. Granted color sets were high dollar and deeply flawed. We did not sit around the radio and listen to FDR in the late 50's

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

That game was truely a nightmare . 

Looking at films of it and not realizing the score- the Colts dominated that game.  That's why it looked fixed.  Hard to completely take control on drive after drive, and still lose like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Looking at films of it and not realizing the score- the Colts dominated that game.  That's why it looked fixed.  Hard to completely take control on drive after drive, and still lose like that.

 

I was going to say similar. If memory serves me right , the Colts really had a lot of bad breaks early on. Should have been up easily by 10-0 . I really don't think it was fixed... just bad breaks , horrible game by E. M. and Jets played an incredible game..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Neat! I was trying to figure why the dw49. Thought maybe you were a fan of #49, punter David Lee?¿?

 

Actually my son years back made a yahoo account for my mail and he decided he liked the name DW Ballz. Can you imagine business people asking me what my email address was and I had to reply dwballz@aol.com ? Have no idea where he got dw from as my name is Steve.The 49 was the number I used for the password and yes its the year I was born as you figured. Thanks for the interest. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That's if you trust "the media" as /i will never forget the ridiculous choice of RGIII over Luck even though if you looked at what each had to work with and net improvement, it wasn't close, let alone fair.  I don't trust the decision makers, if the press disagrees with them, to pick the right candidate. They haven't been fair before.
    • I have been a colts fan forever and have lived through pretty crappy coaches and GM's. I can say without a doubt the Ballard/Reich regime has the Colts pointing in the right direction. Compared to the last(which i blame for the beginning of the end of AL). Ballard is a finder of talent that no one else sees and Reich and staff can coach these guys up to be successful not just fitting a square peg in round hole. Case in point 2013 draft, Bjorn Werner taken by RG at 24, behind him were the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Leveone Bell, Travis Kelce, Zack Ertz, Travis Fredick, Cordelle Patterson and Xavier Rhodes(which is funny we have him now). I know there is no crystal ball but all I have mentioned did pretty well in college except for Werner. My point is the roster is stacked with young contributors and that D is now a Monster. Can't wait to see when they turn their attention to the O side. 
    • If we sweep Tennessee and get to 8-3 and Rivers plays good again, I am convinced at that point he can play another year. Big game coming up but Tennessee will be deflated if we take this one.
    • Folks, all we need to do is win just 50 percent of our fans upcoming. Finish 10-6, we will make the playoffs. Especially with an expansion to 7 teams per.   that said, win against the Titans, and we all but wrap up the AFCS and the at minimum, a 4th seed. So let’s take it a week at a time. 
    • Man really all of ballads last three drafts have been solid. His biggest mistake since he’s been here has been taking Malik Hooker in the First round. A mid first round at that. But I think that was more Pagano pushing for him than Chris Ballard given how Pagano liked his DBs.   that said. Hitting on your top 5 draft picks in a single year would be historic.  I say 5 because  of Buckner, definitely won that trade. Taylor, Pitman and Blackmon are gonna be solid contributing starters barring anything bad happening.  Eason, I hope we eventually see. I think our moves in the off season will tell. If we resign Rivers and let Brissett go and don’t sign or draft a QB, we know that Eason is the future, if we keep both Rivers and Brissett or let Rivers go but resign Brissett, we know they still aren’t ready to hand the reigns to Eason. If they don’t resign either rivers or Brissett and draft a QB, well then it’s anyone’s guess depending on who that draftee is.   either way, there’s not been a draft pick other than Hooker that I would consider a bust or a mistake since Ballard’s time here.    but that also depends on Campbells return too as he’s not far behind Hooker right now
  • Members

    • MPStack

      MPStack 4,181

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dylan8678

      dylan8678 19

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coffeedrinker

      Coffeedrinker 8,146

      Senior Members
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buccolts

      buccolts 5,123

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 356

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 10,769

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,862

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 9,146

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JPFolks

      JPFolks 1,000

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 1,381

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...