Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Orr has passed

csmopar

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I was born in Baltimore Women’s Hospital in 1954.  The 58 game was on my parents 9” black and white tv in what must have been a 5’ console. I was in high school in Southern York Co Pa as the Colts, Orioles, and Bullets were successful.  Colts were World Champs in 71, after losing SB III in 68. Orioles won World Series in 66 and 70, and League Champs or Division Champs in 69, 70, 71, 73, and 74.  I watched Johnny U’s last TD pass in a Colts uniform in person.

In that area at age 15-20, were great times!   I’ve got a brick from Memorial Stadium as a souvenir.  I moved to Indy in 1980,  (kept up by getting the Baltimore News American Sports Page) and the Colts eventually followed. 

I was old enough to (born in 49) watch the 58-59 Colt wins but wasn't a fan until 1960. So I only like most just saw the films. Those years you mention were good for me also as I was a Pirate fan They had 2 great series with your Orioles. I also went to 3 games of the 60 WS between Pitt and NY. 

2 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

A play used earlier that 68 season where he was wide open for a catch, a play designed for him as the primary receiver which left many scratching their heads as to how Earl could not have seen him open.

I've read all the excuses.  Matte said he pitched the ball back a little short.  Morrall said the sun came out and was in his eyes.  The band confused him.  blah, blah, blah.   He knew where that ball was supposed to go.

Didn't Art Donovan get liquored up one time and admit the fix was in?  And then retract it when he sobered up?  Between the NFL and the mob, you don't want to cross that line.

54 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I've read all the excuses.  Matte said he pitched the ball back a little short.  Morrall said the sun came out and was in his eyes.  The band confused him.  blah, blah, blah.   He knew where that ball was supposed to go.

Didn't Art Donovan get liquored up one time and admit the fix was in?  And then retract it when he sobered up?  Between the NFL and the mob, you don't want to cross that line.

I think it was Bubba Smith, but he may have been liquored up also ! 

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Leave it to you to post that. I guess you lived in my house back then. You wrote "Most TVs is 1958..." no reply for that

If you want to whine about a typo feel free. 

It was very rare to find a 27 inch TV in the 50s. 

Your family must have been pretty well off to be able to afford one. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you want to whine about a typo feel free. 

It was very rare to find a 27 inch TV in the 50s. 

Your family must have been pretty well off to be able to afford one. 

We had the first Zenith color TV in the neighborhood.  1964.  I can't remember the size, but it was a beautiful wooden console, with this funky four button remote.  We'd have friends and family come over on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza.

My memory may be a bit off, but I think there weren't too many shows in color in those days.

We weren't well off.  Probably middle class at best.  But both parents worked.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We had the first Zenith color TV in the neighborhood.  1964.  I can't remember the size, but it was a beautiful wooden console, with this funky four button remote.  We'd have friends and family come over on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza.

My memory may be a bit off, but I think there weren't too many shows in color in those days.

We weren't well off.  Probably middle class at best.  But both parents worked.

Respectfully, We were talking about 1958, not 1964. 

Bigger screen TVs in the 50s were very, very expensive. 

He said he was watching a 27 inch TV but the average size TVs were 14-17 inch TVs in the 50s.

TVs in the 50s were $110. dollars per square inch in the 50s. 

People were still basically listening to radio more than watching TVs during that time. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-tvs-really-cheaper-than-ever-we-go-back-a-few-decades-to-see/#comments

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He said he was watching a 27 inch TV but the average size TVs were 14-17 inch TVs in the 50s.

People were still basically listening to radio more than watching TVs during that time. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-tvs-really-cheaper-than-ever-we-go-back-a-few-decades-to-see/#comments

I wasn’t trying to make a point.  Just relating a memory...while I still have some!

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We are talking late fifties not forties and no one was listening to radio because we all had TV and remote control came out in 59 +/- and color a year or two later. Granted color sets were high dollar and deeply flawed. We did not sit around the radio and listen to FDR in the late 50's

12 hours ago, dw49 said:

That game was truely a nightmare . 

Looking at films of it and not realizing the score- the Colts dominated that game.  That's why it looked fixed.  Hard to completely take control on drive after drive, and still lose like that.

10 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Looking at films of it and not realizing the score- the Colts dominated that game.  That's why it looked fixed.  Hard to completely take control on drive after drive, and still lose like that.

I was going to say similar. If memory serves me right , the Colts really had a lot of bad breaks early on. Should have been up easily by 10-0 . I really don't think it was fixed... just bad breaks , horrible game by E. M. and Jets played an incredible game..

4 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Neat! I was trying to figure why the dw49. Thought maybe you were a fan of #49, punter David Lee?¿?

Actually my son years back made a yahoo account for my mail and he decided he liked the name DW Ballz. Can you imagine business people asking me what my email address was and I had to reply dwballz@aol.com ? Have no idea where he got dw from as my name is Steve.The 49 was the number I used for the password and yes its the year I was born as you figured. Thanks for the interest. 

Archived