Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Was Calling His Own Plays This Year

CR91

Actually, it is Peyton's memory that is so valuable. He remembers formations he saw on tape 5 years ago he said. Nobody does that but him. However, being a Miss. State grad, I got to see a lot of him at Tenn. He wasn't the guy that he became. That being said, he showed signs of it though. Luck shows the same signs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not like college defense is much of anything, regardless I'm sure he stuck with the play he was given than changing it. Not knocking luck cuz he's great but he's hyped up too much.

Your arms have to be tired from swimming against the stream. I can't imagine you ever being happy when we draft Luck.

The talking heads said same about Luck, having a photogenic memory and all. What will set them apart is manning had the desire and drive to push himself to such a high level with film study. Working with his wr's on timing. And overall desire to be one mad motha.

The talking heads said same about Luck, having a photogenic memory and all. What will set them apart is manning had the desire and drive to push himself to such a high level with film study. Working with his wr's on timing. And overall desire to be one mad motha.

Who's to say Luck won't have SIMILIAR desire to work on timing with WR's?

So Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning quarterback Steve Young thinks what Luck has been doing is "unheard of" for someone at his level, and "Smitto" of the Colts forum thinks it isn't a "big deal." You have every right to your opinion, and only time will tell how this kid turns out, but I'm going to side with the expert on this one.

This was actually discussed at length during his pro day by Burmeister and Mayock. Their point was that his motion is so effortless and "lazy" that it's deceptive in regards to ball speed, but his throws have plenty of zip of them. He doesn't have an Elway cannon arm, but he is more than able to make any NFL throw and has better than average arm strength. His game isn't overpowering throws, anyway. It's precision, smarts, and mobility, which he has in spades.

Just like Steve young had his own opinion... QBs in college are allowed to audible aren't they? Which is basically what Luck does

Your arms have to be tired from swimming against the stream. I can't imagine you ever being happy when we draft Luck.

Against what stream? I'm just not as googly eyed as some of you are... I actually think luck will have better success earlier on than Griffin.. so its not like I dislike him which is far from it. I can tell you right now the same ppl praising luck for what he hasn't done in the NFL yet will be the same ppl bashing him if he studers

Against what stream? I'm just not as googly eyed as some of you are... I actually think luck will have better success earlier on than Griffin.. so its not like I dislike him which is far from it. I can tell you right now the same ppl praising luck for what he hasn't done in the NFL yet will be the same ppl bashing him if he studers

I actually think Griffen will have the better start. He will be going to a much better team than Luck will. I think Luck will have the better career though.

I actually think Griffen will have the better start. He will be going to a much better team than Luck will. I think Luck will have the better career though.

The offense for the colts isn't as bad as the media make it out to be, I think griffin will have the better career for one reason and that his accuracy with the deep ball.. more big plays n TDs. Has one of the most accurate deep ball I've ever seen in college ball.

The offense for the colts isn't as bad as the media make it out to be, I think griffin will have the better career for one reason and that his accuracy with the deep ball.. more big plays n TDs. Has one of the most accurate deep ball I've ever seen in college ball.

Did you watch the Colts last year?? I think the O is worse than the media makes it to be.

like RGIII isnt.

There are many other qbs that were given the same packages at the line of scrimmage. RG3 included so while that is nice it won't mean every thing. Yes there are still some teams that spread out the defense and line up and then get plays called in but many teams call in multiple plays and it is the qbs job to pick the best play to get into. While Luck is extremely intelligent and seemed to do a good job getting Stanford into the right play I think too much is made of this.

How is Griffin over hyped when no one has compared him to elway or peyton or Steve young or claim him to be a future hall of farmer... need I go on?

There are plenty of voices claiming RG3 is as good or better than Luck, including your own. If he falls short of those expectations... If either ends up not being as good as we imagine right now, they were over-hyped. It doesn't matter who compared them to who.

How is Griffin over hyped when no one has compared him to elway or peyton or Steve young or claim him to be a future hall of farmer... need I go on?

Griffin is over-hyped when some say that he is better than the prospect that is compared to Elway or Peyton or Steve Young or claimed to be a future hall of famer.

Actually, it is Peyton's memory that is so valuable. He remembers formations he saw on tape 5 years ago he said. Nobody does that but him. However, being a Miss. State grad, I got to see a lot of him at Tenn. He wasn't the guy that he became. That being said, he showed signs of it though. Luck shows the same signs.

That's the key point././Griz..

Peyton wasnt 'that guy' in college...

He learne dto be 'that guy'

..and if Luck is a Manning disciple....there's every reason to believe (and Irsay obvioulsy believes this) he will become

a similar dominant player..

I'm sure once he's drafted he'll speak to this...

He'll be free to emulate Manning without competing with him..

Who's to say Luck won't have SIMILIAR desire to work on timing with WR's?

No I agree, was just saying that was what manning did to better himself. I think Luck will have the same work ethic as manning did/does. Manning and luck were both on same level coming out of college.

Did you watch the Colts last year?? I think the O is worse than the media makes it to be.

Yes I did watch the colts last year and where they suffered more was from poor qb play... the oline got better during the season so basically what hurt the colts was qb play

Yes I did watch the colts last year and where they suffered more was from poor qb play... the oline got better during the season so basically what hurt the colts was qb play

I would agree. When Orlovsky had a decent/good game, the Colts won.

Just like Steve young had his own opinion... QBs in college are allowed to audible aren't they? Which is basically what Luck does

But when you call your own plays your reading defenses and calling a audible every down. When your allowed to call your own plays the coaching staff thinks you can read defenses and call plays as well as the O.C. can. That's a big deal, even in the NFL, not to mention college.

Assuming Luck turns out to be a top quality NFL QB, what will define his legacy, or the comparison v Peyton?

Will it be wins, % wins, SB rings, one and dones, rookie season record, 4th qtr comebacks, winning seasons, play-off appearances, MVPs, SNL ratings, sponsorship deals or what?

I'm really not sure what we are actually debating anymore.

Just saying.....

He got two runs and one pass option big deal lol... not like he was dissecting defenses. Its called audibles

audibles are changing the given play at the line of scrimage. usually a qb seems an opening and takes a shot or seems something he doesn't like and checks to a safer play. calling your own play is taking into account down and distance, personal, defensive package, what formation to put your offensive players in, and pass protection/ run blocking. all by yourself on the field as a young college qb is impressive. not to mention to have audibles out of whatever play you call. all that with millions of people watching and knowing if you make a mistake.

hes in the consider of being picked over luck. how is that not hype

He got two runs and one pass option big deal lol... not like he was dissecting defenses. Its called audibles

Not many players in college are even given much freedom to call audibles at all.

Luck was allowed to change any play at any time based off the defensive look.

Assuming Luck turns out to be a top quality NFL QB, what will define his legacy, or the comparison v Peyton?

Will it be wins, % wins, SB rings, one and dones, rookie season record, 4th qtr comebacks, winning seasons, play-off appearances, MVPs, SNL ratings, sponsorship deals or what?

I'm really not sure what we are actually debating anymore.

Just saying.....

. In my opinion players are remembered more for their abilities more than anything else. Stats and championships are 2nd. Most fans do not know players stats by heart, heck Most probably don't know how many rings Montana has. It seems like HOF players stats are well known when a current player is about to break them.

I couldnt care less what Burmeister and Mayock say.

Mute the tv and watch the tape. His overall game is exceptional, but some passes seem a tad bit slow and I know lock down CBs would easily intercept those.

If you watch his tape then you know he's more than capable of firing off a bullet pass. He has very good arm strength and ball speed. And lock down CB's are lock down CB's for a reason. They intercept/knock down everybody. Peyton Manning gets picked off by great corners (and sometimes not great corners). That's why they're so good.

Both impressive and exciting. Really looking forward to his career with the Colts.

Exactly... PM was limited in a few ways. Luck, if he is only close to Manning smart, has the running ability to totally present a nightmare for DC's.

darn... I am ready to kick off....

. In my opinion players are remembered more for their abilities more than anything else. Stats and championships are 2nd. Most fans do not know players stats by heart, heck Most probably don't know how many rings Montana has. It seems like HOF players stats are well known when a current player is about to break them.

QB's are remembered and compared by only ONE measuring stick......... W's.

Right or wrong, it is how it is .

Montana and Brady are the GOAT by the ring thing.

When Marino, and Manning are the QB's who played on sub par teams, did the ALL the Heavy lifting and fell a bit short....

It's a totally dysfunctional way of evaluating "superiority" @ the QB position.

When Marino, and Manning are the QB's who played on sub par teams, did the ALL the Heavy lifting and fell a bit short....

Not exactly. Manning isn't in the same class as Marino. Manning actually won a ring and CARRIED his team. Marino always carried his team but was never able to carry to a championship. Brady and Montana had insanely good teams for a period of time.

Another clue is RG3 this saturday is doing an autograph signing in Chantilly VA 10 minutes away from redskins park and a few days ago the website announced that RG3 has agreed to sign Redskins items and if your a collector that goes to these card shows you know that doesnt happen usually if a draft pick does a signing before the draft all they will sign is theyre college teams memorabilia. So I think the majority of Colts fans and Skins fans will be happy.

awesome, thanks for the info. It's just frustrating knowing that it seems set it stone, but at the same time there is a chance that Irsay/Grigs/PAgs go on a limb and go with RG instead, I hope not, but it's a possibility lol. Thinking about this "possibility" is going to kill me over the next 29 days lol.

I agree about the dysfunctionality of evaluating QB's.

Perhaps the best way to to evaluate a QB is ask, "If you were starting a franchise, which QB would you like to have drafted to lead your team?" You can make a case that this would make people think about the QB's attributes rather than their "rings" because in this scenario, everyone would be starting out at square one. If you look at attributes only, Manning would definitely be at the top, along with Montana, Elway, and Marino.

awesome, thanks for the info. It's just frustrating knowing that it seems set it stone, but at the same time there is a chance that Irsay/Grigs/PAgs go on a limb and go with RG instead, I hope not, but it's a possibility lol. Thinking about this "possibility" is going to kill me over the next 29 days lol.

I went to that card show on saturday I posted about earlier and met RG3. My dad asked him if he knew he was going to be a Redskin ofcourse he gave the political answer and said no but he smiled and gave us a wink. Also a guy in front of me had a colts helmet to get signed his agent said he would not be signing any memorabilia other than Baylor and Redskins items. I know alot of people don't want the Colts to draft him but he has an aura about him I can't explain it and he was super nice he dapped me up thanked me for coming he even stayed 2 hours past to sign everyones stuff. Im gonna attach a picture so you guys dont think I'm B.S.'ing you when I get off work today. I also tweeted Dan Graham @coltsinsider I asked him to give a percentage of the Colts drafting Luck here was his tweet back to me.

Dan Graham@coltsinsider

@PeachOmania 100% #Colts are taking Andrew Luck with the 1st overall pick in the #NFL Draft.