Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Trade Brissett To Cowboys

I hate to see any player get hurt in the NFL.  But I figured if a team got desperate at QB, it would be the perfect time to dump Jacoby Brissett for a draft pick.  The Cowboys are in trouble likely and it would be a perfect time to move Brissett.  He is gone at the end of the year anyways so might as well get something out of him, since they likely won't get a comp pick if he signs somewhere else since we will sign free agents ourselves.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't know if Jones would want Brissett.  Ballard should at least reach out.    I'd be happy if we could get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.   However, he may have more value for us this season.  He's good insurance for us. 

Fitz would be the best option for the Cowboys.    

• Like 1

I see that not Brissett, but Chad Kelly, got mentioned in one media story about the Cowboys' situation. 

Dak Prescott, who was exceptional to start the season, is already out for the year after fracturing and dislocating his ankle against the New York Giants. Rookie Ben DiNucci and veteran Garrett Gilbert are now the only healthy QBs left on the Cowboys roster. Dallas will need to add another quarterback in the next week, but what are their options?

The most high profile QB on the market is still Colin Kaepernick. The former San Francisco 49er hasn’t played in the NFL since 2016, so Jones might not want to take a chance on the rusty veteran. Kaepernick would also bring even more drama to a locker room that’s already on the verge of crumbling.

There are some other notable free agent quarterbacks available for the taking, however. Drew Anderson and Drew Stanton are two veterans who could pick up the offense rather quickly. Chad Kelly, DeShone Kizer, and Shea Patterson all have upside as young players, but they might not even be upgrades from DiNucci.

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-can-the-dallas-cowboys-replace-dak-prescott-and-andy-dalton-at-qb/

17 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I see that not Brissett, but Chad Kelly, got mentioned in one media story about the Cowboys' situation. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-can-the-dallas-cowboys-replace-dak-prescott-and-andy-dalton-at-qb/

That's absolutely perfect!! :funny:

Chad Kelly arrested on trespassing charge while in cowboy costume following Broncos Halloween party

• Haha 4
12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. Imagine if they sign Kelly and he ends up getting them into the playoffs

In that division many QB's could lead them to the playoffs I think.  

11 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

with their defense, that's the most likely scenario

And I read that their decimated offensive line got mauled by Washington Sunday. Six sacks. The opposing pass rush would give Swag the opportunity to showcase that speed he brags about.  

Long before the game was lost, the Cowboys were defeated on the line of scrimmage. Their rag-tag battery of blockers entered FedEx Field too light for their weight class vs. Washington’s vaunted defensive front. And when quarterback Andy Dalton was injured in dirty fashion, the unit lacked any sign of protective instinct or fight in a 25-3 beating.

How far the offense has fallen.

It’s not just because of Dak Prescott’s Oct. 11 ankle injury that the once-high scoring Cowboys have lost their way. It would have mattered little who was at quarterback Sunday behind a protection unit as overwhelmed as this one.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/10/25/the-cowboys-feared-their-o-line-would-get-bullied-but-somehow-the-results-were-even-worse/

38 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. Imagine if they sign Kelly and he ends up getting them into the playoffs

Oh man...if Kelly goes to DAL and has some Tony Romo type emergence and leads to them to playoffs...this place might explode. That would be fantastic to watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

And I read that their decimated offensive line got mauled by Washington Sunday. Six sacks. The opposing rush would give Swag the opportunity to showcase that speed he brags about.  

His mobility would actually serve him (and DAL) well. No idea about the rest of his game though.

Cowboys are better off taking chances with Air Gordon (Anthony Gordon) off the street (is he signed by any team?) than sign QBs with a limited upside and expensive contract.

Hopefully Chris and Jerry talk to see if a trade could be worked out.  Chris might want to reach out to the Patriots as well.  I would think he could help out NE much faster.  This is the time to try and move him. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure they'll give up a first and take on his contract. Amiright?

They'd only owe him about $3m. I'd even be okay with the Colts paying the remaining salary if they're willing to give up a fourth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Cowboys are better off taking chances with Air Gordon (Anthony Gordon) off the street (is he signed by any team?) than sign QBs with a limited upside and expensive contract.

I love Anthony Gordon and would love to see him get a chance. I just basically want to get rid of Brissett for ANYTHING!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I love Anthony Gordon and would love to see him get a chance. I just basically want to get rid of Brissett for ANYTHING!

I know that feeling.  Not rational, but I really want to move on! haha

3 hours ago, Superman said:

They'd only owe him about $3m. I'd even be okay with the Colts paying the remaining salary if they're willing to give up a fourth.

I would only if we were mathematically eliminated this season.

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I would only if we were mathematically eliminated this season.

It wouldn't be ideal, but I'd do it for the pick. And I'd re-sign Chad Kelly (based on the basically zero information that we have about Kelly, but I'm assuming he knows the offense).

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I don't know if Jones would want Brissett.  Ballard should at least reach out.    I'd be happy if we could get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.   However, he may have more value for us this season.  He's good insurance for us. 

Fitz would be the best option for the Cowboys.    

If all we would get is a 5th or 6th then no way we should trade him

• Like 1
15 hours ago, bestQBever said:

If all we would get is a 5th or 6th then no way we should trade him

I definitely think trading him this season is out of the question.  We've already planned for his presence on our payroll despite his actual pay.  If we trade him after this season, it probably can be assumed we resign him in a backup roll and thus much less than $15 million per year.

Assuming a backup QB pay, I'd definitely trade him for a 5th.  But I can agree with you in the sense that that 5th rounder could be a swing and a miss.  

23 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I hate to see any player get hurt in the NFL.  But I figured if a team got desperate at QB, it would be the perfect time to dump Jacoby Brissett for a draft pick.  The Cowboys are in trouble likely and it would be a perfect time to move Brissett.  He is gone at the end of the year anyways so might as well get something out of him, since they likely won't get a comp pick if he signs somewhere else since we will sign free agents ourselves.

I'm all for this!

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 3:35 PM, B~Town said:

Maybe even the Pats Brisset looked pretty good in BB QB friendly system .

it's not Bills system it's Erhardt Perkins

On 10/26/2020 at 3:35 PM, B~Town said:

Maybe even the Pats Brisset looked pretty good in BB QB friendly system .

Not sure it's truly QB friendly. I think it diminishes the need for athleticism, but requires grey matter and the ability to read Ds and progress well. NE also has historically installed a lot of opponent-specific packages weekly. Brady didn't have to be freak, just had to be smart and efficient. And he was both.

Brissett is a decent backup QB (look around - he’s perhaps the very best backup QB available given he knows Colts system and can step right in) - and any team with playoff aspirations needs two capable QB in case starter is injured (for a few plays or longer).  Having one would leave us exposed.  Trading Brissett for a draft pick is shortsighted.  He would command very little in return and whatever we would get would be a draft pick in the future.  

• Like 1