Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady breaks TD record over Brees today

FortheWin

40 minutes ago, King Colt said:

So the long standing question "Who needs who, Brady or Hoody?" has been answered this year.

It has emphatically. Most of the talk before this season was about having the GOAT coach means that the team will always be competitive, that the drop off at QB will never be that bad because of smart offensive philosophy, how the team would always show tremendous heart and never stop playing hard. How they had a huge built-in advantage due to having superior coaching. That stuff is pretty much bunk and it's time to start facing some realities. Coaching isn't magic. It can give minor advantages, but it doesn't take a 7-win roster and make them 12-4. Tom Brady does that. It is also why 4 average coaches got taken to the SB by Peyton Manning. It is always the player. 

15 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

It has emphatically. Most of the talk before this season was about having the GOAT coach means that the team will always be competitive, that the drop off at QB will never be that bad because of smart offensive philosophy, how the team would always show tremendous heart and never stop playing hard. How they had a huge built-in advantage due to having superior coaching. That stuff is pretty much bunk and it's time to start facing some realities. Coaching isn't magic. It can give minor advantages, but it doesn't take a 7-win roster and make them 12-4. Tom Brady does that. It is also why 4 average coaches got taken to the SB by Peyton Manning. It is always the player. 

OK, Brady Boy!!! That is what I will call you because if there is a Pro-Brady argument to be made, I see you first in line on this forum. :) It is all good but we have to keep things objective as well.

In a match up of even teams, fielding a complete team that does all the small things in close games in playoffs does matter. That is where the coaching matters, and that has been a big reason Belichick forced teams to play 60 minutes and won so many close games. No doubt, you need an elite QB to win at the highest level. However, let us not diminish Belichick just because he has 5 key starters opt out due to Covid and a QB that cannot hit the broad side of a barn accurately and the fact that the talent level on the Patriots has been diminishing due to Belichick being an average GM. Belichick is a great coach but an average GM, IMO, and Brady realized the talent level on his team was not good enough, been deteriorating a while, and bolted.

If Belichick had someone like, say, a Nick Foles, his team would be doing much better than they are now. Not AFC best level but definitely better than 2-4. The difference between Brady and Cam Newton is dramatic. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

OK, Brady Boy!!! That is what I will call you because if there is a Pro-Brady argument to be made, I see you first in line on this forum. :) It is all good but we have to keep things objective as well.

In a match up of even teams, fielding a complete team that does all the small things in close games in playoffs does matter. That is where the coaching matters, and that has been a big reason Belichick forced teams to play 60 minutes and won so many close games. No doubt, you need an elite QB to win at the highest level. However, let us not diminish Belichick just because he has 5 key starters opt out due to Covid and a QB that cannot hit the broad side of a barn accurately and the fact that the talent level on the Patriots has been diminishing due to Belichick being an average GM. Belichick is a great coach but an average GM, IMO, and Brady realized the talent level on his team was not good enough, been deteriorating a while, and bolted.

If Belichick had someone like, say, a Nick Foles, his team would be doing much better than they are now. Not AFC best level but definitely better than 2-4. The difference between Brady and Cam Newton is dramatic. 

It is not diminishing Belichick at all. He is a great coach. But in football, the QB is the one that drives the train. No one is looking at the Chiefs right now and saying, Reid is the GOAT head coach. It is Mahomes. When you have a transcendent talent at the QB position and you get him for 20 years and all those years are prime performance, that is the reason you win. To me it is common sense. Tony Dungy won nothing until Manning. Caldwell, Fox, Kubiak were average to below average coaches. Arians is a good coach. He is not great. But all of a sudden his offense is humming like it never has before. We know why.  Like I said, it is always the player. That is just my viewpoint but I know others disagree and that is fine. 

Archived