Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After watching the Jags today, how did we lose to them?

coltsfansince65

1) Divisional games are always unpredictable the 5-1 Titans barely beat the 1-6 Texans. 2) First game of the season and due to covid barely any training camp and no preseason games. 3) Colts haven't won a game in Jacksonville since 2014 crazy stat I looked it up lol.

Any given Sunday. Especially in week 1. Especially against a divisional foe. Especially when one team has recent historical struggles in opening week. Especially when one team hasn't won at the other team's home stadium in over half a decade.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

They looked pretty awful today against the Chargers. Their only win is against the Colts.

On another note.........Also after today's games I think I could get onboard with those hoping for Matthew Stafford to wear the shoe.

Also the Bears only loss is against the Colts. Keep the same energy.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

They looked pretty awful today against the Chargers. Their only win is against the Colts.

On another note.........Also after today's games I think I could get onboard with those hoping for Matthew Stafford to wear the shoe.

Menshew has one great game a year, just happened to be against us this year. 

I really wish we hadn't played the Jags week 1. You don't want to play the bad teams week 1 because every team in the NFL is undefeated, so we wasted a bad team game on some undefeated shmucks who thought they were tough SOB's.

And yea, it hurt us that none of the teams had any preseason as it narrows the skill-gap between a good team who needs practice vs. a bad team who would suck at practice.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Soft zone defense all game which has yet to stop anyone all year.

And.... ding ding ding we have a winner. Pitiful job by Eberflus. Let’s pray they learned something from this as well as subsequent games and have ditched that anemic And vanilla D. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

And.... ding ding ding we have a winner. Pitiful job by Eberflus. Let’s pray they learned something from this as well as subsequent games and have ditched that anemic And vanilla D. 

I hope so but I don’t think the coaches have.  No matter how much it gets shredded they keep trying to go back to it.  The good news is they are getting faster at getting out of it.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I mean, there were so.e changes, but that same d stopped most everyone since....

Watch the first half of the browns game and the first quarter of the bengals game when they went back to the soft zone.  They then got out of it and played like they did vs other teams and what do you know the defense got better.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i'll say it was the interceptions.  the colts dominated most stats besides completion %

^I'll say you're both right.. along with not converting a 4th and short inside Jax's 10.  

The Jags didn't really beat us that game, we beat ourselves... but as recent trends go, we stink against JAX in JAX and we stink at season openers... hopefully that'll change, soon.

Also, losing Mack early in that game probably had a lot to do with our offensive game plan (IMO)... we threw 46 times and ran 22 - Mack was having a lot of success running, we struggled after he went down.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

^I'll say you're both right.. along with not converting a 4th and short inside Jax's 10.  

The Jags didn't really beat us that game, we beat ourselves... but as recent trends go, we stink against JAX in JAX and we stink at season openers... hopefully that'll change, soon.

Also, losing Mack early in that game probably had a lot to do with our offensive game plan (IMO)... we threw 46 times and ran 22 - Mack was having a lot of success running, we struggled after he went down.

Look no further OP, this is the answer, along with it being the first week of the season and weird things happen in week 1 league-wide.

The Jags almost always play us close too, one of those things. We absolutely should beat them when we next play in week 17, but who knows really.....

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the coaches threw the interceptions? 

WE dominated that game. Take the two picks out and we win. 

I think letting Minshew go 19/20 3 TDs was the bigger problem.

Heck, the 2nd interception didn't actually change the game.  We went from 4 down to 7 down.  Needed a TD either way, and might have gotten it if TY didn't get the dropsies.

IMO, game plan on both sides of the ball.

Jax is bad vs the run, yet we tossed it all over the yard in the first game with a new QB without a preseason.

On D, we played extremely soft zone allowing Minshew to look like a surgeon. 

Sure the INTs stunk, but we should have been running it down their throats from the start. 

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The same zone showed up early in the Browns and Bengals game and led to deficits, we overcame one and did not with the other.

Stafford will pick it apart if we play that zone. The Lions are a scrappy team after their bye week, have changed up a few things that have kept them very competitive.

1 hour ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

disagree, the colts had a lot more yards than them with a high completion % them selves.  phil had 363 yards compared to minshews 170.  phil had almost 80% completions himself 

turnovers are what actually killed us, missed out on a lot of points directly because of interceptions.  sorry but you are wrong when you say the second one didnt change the game, that could have been 7 for us

The Indianapolis Colts: 

Lose to the Jags, who have lost to everyone else. 

Beat the Bears, who have defeated everyone. 

The Bears beat the Buccaneers and Tom Brady, who destroyed Aaron Rogers and the Packers and the Raiders.

The Raiders smoked the Chiefs.

happy dance GIF

Nothing makes sense in this world. 

56 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

disagree, the colts had a lot more yards than them with a high completion % them selves.  phil had 363 yards compared to minshews 170.  phil had almost 80% completions himself 

turnovers are what actually killed us, missed out on a lot of points directly because of interceptions.  sorry but you are wrong when you say the second one didnt change the game, that could have been 7 for us

Faulty logic.

You are assuming that the only alternative to an INT is a TD.  If Rivers just threw an incompletion instead of the INT, would you be blaming that incompletion for the loss?

Our defense was embarrassingly bad in week 1, and it was the main reason we lost, though there were a long list of contributing factors.

18 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Faulty logic.

You are assuming that the only alternative to an INT is a TD.  If Rivers just threw an incompletion instead of the INT, would you be blaming that incompletion for the loss?

Our defense was embarrassingly bad in week 1, and it was the main reason we lost, though there were a long list of contributing factors.

you are making the assumption that they would not score there, so who are you to say im the one assuming the wrong thing?  you said it didnt change the game when both picks could have been points for us instead

we had more than double their yardage. the defense bent but didnt let them do much at all after the catch, and their completions were mostly short 

3 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Heck, the 2nd interception didn't actually change the game.  We went from 4 down to 7 down.  Needed a TD either way, and might have gotten it if TY didn't get the dropsies.

Minshew completing 19 of his 20 passes was a   huge part of it.   I'd say 45%

Reich play-calling would be 25% responsible for the loss.   

Rivers INT's were 20% responsible for the loss.

10% would be others (missed field goal, Hilton drops ect.).

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's kind of self explanatory. 

First game of the season.

No pre season

Not enough OTAs

Jackonsville had the same thing. No pre season, Not enough OTA's, first game of the season and they played well.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, coltsfansince65 said:

BTW, why in the world did you subject yourself to watching the Jags?

Archived