Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Should The Rest Of Season Expectations Be For Colts RB Jonathan Taylor?

AKB

5 minutes ago, life long said:

Staying healthy and improving every day. Same as all people....:hat:

Captain Obvious,

It is day 300 of being thirsty. I have some water here, but I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anxiously awaiting your response...

Sincerely,

Thirsty

Honestly, keep running well and improving your vision and find the holes. The YPC is becoming very consistent and solid. Just find the holes, don't fumble, and you should be alright.

The way teams are stacking the box Vs him just shows how good he actually is already. Rivers isn't doing him any favors tbh.

I'd say about the same as now.  He personally will probably improve some, but the schedule gets very difficult after next week.

So as far as ypc numbers I would expect rushing to go down and passing total yards to increase because of better defenses and offenses we will be facing.  We will probably be chasing games late and finding holes early will probably be harder.

I hope he turns out to be what people here think he is.

T

IMO this team will go as far as ole Philip takes us with the limited skill talent right now.

Burton is looking useful, Taylior shows flashes I the passing game.  You would hope Hines would too.  

if Marcus Johnsoncan produce against the better comp, then we might surprise.

I think "Crazy Colt1" nailed it regarding being more conscious with fumbles and clutching the ball with two hands before breaking it.  I noticed his college tapes and I didn't see him holding the ball to his chest with two hand before hitting the hole.  If he can just let it rip once in a while without being conscious about fumbling this may get him to break some long runs.....True he hasn't fumbled at all so far this season, but he's only got less than a total of 400 yds total rushing too.

I would say keep improving. I think most of us would agree that the best running back in the NFL is Henry. If you look at his stats it took him three years to really break out. 

2016- 490 yards 5TDS

2017- 744 yards 5TDS

2018- 1,059 yards 12TDS

2019- 1,540 yards 16 YDS

JT is doing really well and constantly improving. I believe he is a much better pass catcher than Henry all ready.  Dude is gonna be a stud. Just let him develop. 

I'd say we'll see more of the same.

I don't think he's going to wake up one week and be a elite big time playmaker.

A lot of times elite RB's show what they have right away. It's not a position that usually takes years to make a impact. Easier to transition from college than say a top WR or CB.

He's a solid player and will remain that with some improvement and progression. 

38 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'd say we'll see more of the same.

I don't think he's going to wake up one week and be a elite big time playmaker.

A lot of times elite RB's show what they have right away. It's not a position that usually takes years to make a impact. Easier to transition from college than say a top WR or CB.

He's a solid player and will remain that with some improvement and progression. 

I respectfully disagree. Look at my post about Derrick Henry. It took him a few years. 

I think Taylor has been consistently improving.  His overall numbers will likely depend on what Reich/Sirianni do with the O play calling.  We seem to have had more imbalanced than balanced games on O (really aside from week 3 against NYJ).

Week | Pass Attempts | Run Attempts

1        | 46                    | 22

2        | 25                    | 40

3        | 25                   | 31

4        | 29                   | 38

5        | 33                   |18

6       | 44                   | 15

Both Hines and Wilkins have seen big drops in carry attempts the past couple of weeks (Wilkins got 9 carries each in week 3 and 4 and 1 each in week 5 and 6... Hines got 7 in week 3, 9 in week 4, 1 in week 5, 0 in week 6).  Personally, I am glad to see the reduction in Hines' carries, especially when it's a draw from shotgun and they run him up the middle.

Taylor has been 4.0 YPC or greater since week 3 and he seems to be developing more of a relationship with Rivers as receiving back.  

Obviously some games will dictate our game plans (e.g., last week we were down 21 and had to pass heavy).  Though, I think Reich and Sirianni will likely try to balance things out more in the second half of the season.  I expect Taylor to start getting a handful more carries per game and to also continue to see an increased role catching out of the backfield.  He seems like he's getting more comfortable with his OL and with his vision every week.  I expect he'll continue to improve and that we'll see him playing an increasingly bigger role in the O as the season rolls on.

If he keeps his YPC up over 4, doesn't cough it up, increases his receiving numbers and stays healthy, I'll be very happy with his performance as a rookie.  I'm not setting any benchmarks for him, but I think he's well on his way to being close to or surpassing a 1,000 yard rushing season (needs to average 75 yards per game to do so).  

5 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I respectfully disagree. Look at my post about Derrick Henry. It took him a few years. 

Not trying to be argumentative but Henry was not the starter his first two seasons. 

He was in a RB committee and had less carries than DeMarco Murray, especially in 2016. 

2016- Murray- 293 carries, 1,287 yds and 9 TDs

Henry- 110 carries, 490 yds and 5 TDs

2017- It was almost even. 

Murray- 184 carries, 659 yds and 6 tds

Henry- 176 carries, 744 yds and 5 tds. 

I don't mean it to be a negative thing aimed at Henry or at your comment, just that I can recall saying to myself that Henry was a better RB during those first two seasons of him playing. I think the Titans fan base was thinking the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to be argumentative but Henry was not the starter his first two seasons. 

He was in a RB committee and had less carries than DeMarco Murray, especially in 2016. 

2016- Murray- 293 carries, 1,287 yds and 9 TDs

Henry- 110 carries, 490 yds and 5 TDs

2017- It was almost even. 

Murray- 184 carries, 659 yds and 6 tds

Henry- 176 carries, 744 yds and 5 tds. 

I don't mean it to be a negative thing aimed at Henry or at your comment, just that I can recall saying to myself that Henry was a better RB during those first two seasons of him playing. I think the Titans fan base was thinking the same thing. 

No worries. I will also say that,I believe, is how the Colts wanted it. Split carries with Mack. He just happened to get injured. 

Archived