Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Prospects - Discussions, News, etc.

22 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW for whatever it's worth I think I like Darnold best out of all of those second-draft QBs and I would prefer going after him if we were set on going that route. 

Come on, don't flip flop on me man!!! :) 

If we get Darnold, we would have to let Eason be backup without giving him a chance to be a starter.

Unless Darnold can be obtained for a 3rd round pick (could happen, you never know, Jets would have to get whatever they can), chances are Colts stick with Eason, IMO. We will see how Rivers picks up steam the rest of the way. Ws are the name of the game.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we get Darnold, we would have to let Eason be backup without giving him a chance to be a starter.

Unless Darnold can be obtained for a 3rd round pick (could happen, you never know, Jets would have to get whatever they can), chances are Colts stick with Eason, IMO. We will see how Rivers picks up steam the rest of the way. Ws are the name of the game.

I would think Ballard will come up with a plan. We may not know anything till it's already done? 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With Eason... I don't even know what to begin to think of him. Because of COVID, this season we've seen about... ZERO snaps of him in any game and about ZERO snaps from him even from practice. No idea what to make of him. Until proven otherwise or until Frank or Ballard signal that he's the guy, IMO it's much safer to assume that he's not anything more than a regular 4th round QB(i.e. NOT a starter level). 

The thing that gives me hope with Darnold is the same thing that kind of scares me with him - he's been put in a horrible situation to start his career with horrible coaching and horrible protection. On the positive side - what happens if you take him out of that dark place and surround him with some talent and a coach who might have his playcalling inconsistencies, but is MILES ahead of Adam Gase? And on the negative - is he too far gone? Too damaged? Too many bad habits that cannot be corrected? Some QBs just get scarred forever by that kind of situation to start their career... 

But yeah... that's why I find Darnold intriguing but also why I prefer we take someone from the draft as a blank canvas for our coaching staff to paint whatever they like on. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

No, Eason was a bargain and a shot you take. It's better than not taking any QB, but it's most probably not enough and won't result in a franchise QB. Now, if Frank and Ballard send signals that they think he's our future franchise QB AND follow through with actions... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how that one goes, but honestly I'm not holding my breath for that one. 

I hear you, but if you’re going to take a QB In the 1st after taking one last year, you’d want to know what you have in the old one. That’s why I think Eason needs to play.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the general consensus on RDE Rashad Weaver (Pittsburgh)?

So far Weaver is at the top of my list given where the Colts are projecting to finish and realistic chance to draft.  Right now am not concerned about replacing Houston as he should have another 3-4 good years and under the assumption we will not be resigning Denico Autry.

Weaver watch his game tape and hopefully you come away impressed as I am.  Quick off the line and got some moves and speed to create pressure, sacks, and shut down the run game.

Other RDE's so far am not impressed watching Jayson Oweh (Penn St) nor Georgia's Azeez Ojulari which I think is more a 3-4 DE.

In FA one player I think we can target on the low is Panther's RDE Efe Obada to add depth.

17 hours ago, OhioColt said:

What is the general consensus on RDE Rashad Weaver (Pittsburgh)?

So far Weaver is at the top of my list given where the Colts are projecting to finish and realistic chance to draft.  Right now am not concerned about replacing Houston as he should have another 3-4 good years and under the assumption we will not be resigning Denico Autry.

Weaver watch his game tape and hopefully you come away impressed as I am.  Quick off the line and got some moves and speed to create pressure, sacks, and shut down the run game.

Other RDE's so far am not impressed watching Jayson Oweh (Penn St) nor Georgia's Azeez Ojulari which I think is more a 3-4 DE.

In FA one player I think we can target on the low is Panther's RDE Efe Obada to add depth.

Idk how you notice Weaver because Patrick Jones II is clearly the superior prospect 

I don't think we'll draft him but man, Zaven Collins is a BALLER. Got to watch him play this week, and man did he live up to everything I was hearing. The Jamie Collins comparison is scarily accurate. Can rush off the edge, can cover in space, plays the run well. 

IMO, he's definitely perfect for a 3-4 Defense, but after hearing about our staffs original plan with Banogu, (to be an edge rusher but also SAM), I'm intrigued if they see this similarity too.

Justin Fields had a terrible game against IU. He looked like a typical big program QB that benefits from his WRs getting large separation due to talent differences.

Terrible decision making for 3 INTs and his body language suggested to me he was very much concerned about him and his play. His enthusiasm during an Ohio State pick six was way too muted to me, leading me to believe he cared about winning with his play leading the way than with other ways.

Wasn’t he the guy who couldn’t beat out Jake Fromm at Georgia and had to transfer out to Ohio State?

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Justin Fields had a terrible game against IU. He looked like a typical big program QB that benefits from his WRs getting large separation due to talent differences.

Terrible decision making for 3 INTs and his body language suggested to me he was very much concerned about him and his play. His enthusiasm during an Ohio State pick six was way too muted to me, leading me to believe he cared about winning with his play leading the way than with other ways.

I am not big on Ohio St players being great pro's. It doesn't happen much. I know Bosa turned out better than I thought and Cris Carter going way back was great but I can't think of many that have been. Even Archie Griffin stunk as a pro. 

It could be too that Hooker and Campbell have been underwhelming so far for us as well.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not big on Ohio St players being great pro's. It doesn't happen much. I know Bosa turned out better than I thought and Cris Carter going way back was great but I can't think of many that have been. Even Archie Griffin stunk as a pro. 

It could be too that Hooker and Campbell have been underwhelming so far for us as well.

My goodness 2006, I generally agree with you but have to disagree here. To just name a few; 

Michael Thomas -NO WR-maybe the best in NFL

Ezekiel Elliott- Dallas RB

Malcolm Jenkins-NO DB

Cameron Heyward-Pitt- DE

The Bosa Boys

Andrew Norwell-OG Carolina

Several DBs drafted in the 1st rd or 2nd including Hooker

The reason one may think OSU players don't develop in the NFL is soo many are drafted each year and many don't develop into stars. They had had 12 players drafted in the first four round in one year (2016) alone and have the most first round draft choices of any other school. Not an OSU fan but have to admit they have great teams every year and a ton of guys drafted.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

my goodness 2006, I generally agree with you but have to disagree here. to just name a few; 

Malcolm Jenkins-NO DB

Cameron Heyward-Pitt- DE

The Bosa Boys

The reason one may think OSU players don't develop in the NFL is soo many are drafted each year and many don't develop into stars. They had had 12 players drafted in the first four round in one year (2016) alone and have the most first round draft choices of any other school. Not an OSU fan but have to admit they have great teams every year and a ton of guys drafted.

I forgot about Thomas and of course Zeke. I mentioned the Bosa's and Cris Carter. We haven't had much luck though with Ohio St players = Hooker and Campbell. As far as college goes, most of their players dominate that isn't even a debate. Unless my memory is really going, have they ever had a great QB in the Pro's? If they have I can't remember. Plenty have been great in college. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I forgot about Thomas and of course Zeke. I mentioned the Bosa's and Cris Carter. We haven't had much luck though with Ohio St players = Hooker and Campbell. As far as college goes, most of their players dominate that isn't even a debate. Unless my memory is really going, have they ever had a great QB in the Pro's? If they have I can't remember. Plenty have been great in college. 

Art Schlichter although he was a gamble.haha

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

My goodness 2006, I generally agree with you but have to disagree here. To just name a few; 

Malcolm Jenkins-NO DB

Cameron Heyward-Pitt- DE

The Bosa Boys

It is more so Ohio State QBs like Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, and now Dwayne Haskins etc. that light it up at OSU but underwhelm in the NFL.  Yes, as far as DBs and skill positions, they have done pretty well for the most part, IMO, and the history is long. Unfortunately, the DB and WR we chose did not work for us. Maybe now Ballard will stay away from Buckeyes for the Colts, maybe that is why he did not pick J K Dobbins and went with Jonathan Taylor instead, lol (j/k). :) 

How many Buckeyes have been drafted by the Indianapolis Colts and how many have gone past the first rookie contract? Just curious. 

Scout the player, not the helmet, guys... I don't care where he plays and what success previous players from that school had. Also, don't get swayed too much by single games, look at the full picture and longer resume, and even more importantly - the traits and skill. I'd still draft Fields top 5 in most drafts. I think he's a great QB prospect.