Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Prospects - Discussions, News, etc.


Recommended Posts

I thought I'd make a thread about following some news and discussing some of the prospects in their games this season. This is for things that don't raise to the level requiring its own thread... 

 

I am starting this with this little piece of news:

 

Minnesota is kind of heavy on NFL prospects this year, especially offensively: 

- Rashod Bateman, WR

- Tanner Morgan, QB

- Daniel Faalele, OT 

- Mohamed Ibrahim, RB

- Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE

 

 

On the other hand Michigan has some interesting defensive prospects so this would be a good matchup to watch:

- Kwity Paye. EDGE

- Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE

- Cameron McGrone, LB

- Joshua Ross. LB

- Ambry Thomas, CB

- Carlo Kemp. DT

- Nico Collins, WR

- Ronnie Bell, WR

- Nick Eubanks, TE

- Jalen Mayfield, OT

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tylan Wallace is one of my favorites. 26 was chirping the previous play after Wallace false started. This is what followed on the next play :D :

 

 

Also... Wallace has hops:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, Michigan runs a 3-4 defense, so when you read EDGE, the odds are the player might be more OLB than DE.  
 

Obviously much depends on height, weight and athletic skill set....   I’m just saying...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, Michigan runs a 3-4 defense, so when you read EDGE, the odds are the player might be more OLB than DE.  
 

Obviously much depends on height, weight and athletic skill set....   I’m just saying...

Kwity Paye is listed at 6'4" 272 and reportedly ran 6.37 3cone! If he does that at the combine it will be the second best time of all time. At ANY position! This includes all the small quick receivers, all the most agile cornerbacks, etc. At 272!!!

 

Aidan Hutchinson is listed at 6'6" 269 too so... again... pretty good size for our scheme. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Seems like there are Colts scouts at the Notre Dame vs Pittsburgh game too:

 

 

Drawing straws here of course, but you’d have to assume they’re interested in the edge rushers from Pitt. Patrick Jones is at like 7.5 sacks on the season!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kwity Paye is eating vs Minnesota!!! 3 sacks on the day so far and on one he destroyed the huge tackle from Minnesota that the OP listed.

 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Any of you see the edge rushers from Penn State vs Indiana? I did and they’ll project well to our D.

How did Oweh do? Saw him mocked to us on TDN and his player profile says he’s a bigger Kemoko Turray.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kwity Paye is eating vs Minnesota!!! 3 sacks on the day so far and on one he destroyed the huge tackle from Minnesota that the OP listed.

 

How did Oweh do? Saw him mocked to us on TDN and his player profile says he’s a bigger Kemoko Turray.


Both Oweh and Shaka Toney did well, they had to use a TE and RB to help with the O-line to give the QB time that they could send only 2 or 3 WRs on routes. The IU QB can run, that’s what helped with the upset and he had one great drive where he delivered strikes in a game tying  drive that took it to OT while taking hits.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chad72 said:


Both Oweh and Shaka Toney did well, they had to use a TE and RB to help with the O-line to give the QB time that they could send only 2 or 3 WRs on routes. The IU QB can run, that’s what helped with the upset and he had one great drive where he delivered strikes in a game tying  drive that took it to OT while taking hits.

Great. Man if everyone declares, this could be a deep edge rusher class. That never happens. Good for us because the Colts need to find two bookends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kwity Paye is eating vs Minnesota!!! 3 sacks on the day so far and on one he destroyed the huge tackle from Minnesota that the OP listed.

 

How did Oweh do? Saw him mocked to us on TDN and his player profile says he’s a bigger Kemoko Turray.

I'm watching the game now. I'm liking what I'm seeing from Hutchinson, too. Both him and Paye fit very well the HWS mold Ballard likes. Paye seems kinda raw. I'm starting the 4th quarter and I don't think he's had a sack so far. Is he going to get them all in the 4th? He's had 2 TFLs though, I think... 

 

edit: yep... he's getting some pressure and some sacks now. Some of them are from the inside though. I want to see him win more consistently one on one against a tackle. edit2: and just as I typed that he got a great win to the outside on the right tackle. Nice use of hands and closing speed... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff guys! I'm hoping we get an EDGE rusher in the first two rounds honestly. If the WR situation works itself out after Pittman and campbell come back, that might be one less position we need, and we can focus on LT, EDGE, CB, and QB. The EDGE class looks promising from your posts though. Can't wait to see combines as well when they happen!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Any of you see the edge rushers from Penn State vs Indiana? I did and they’ll project well to our D.

I didn't watch. Who are the ones that merit a watch? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

I didn't watch. Who are the ones that merit a watch? 

 

Jayson Oweh and Shaka Toney. Next week, I am definitely watching when Ohio State comes to Penn State town. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm moving on to BYU vs Texas State

 

I think I will be watching mainly the BYU offense in this one. 

edit: I won't be sharing too many impressions from this game because Texas state seem to be horrible defensively. I will just say, Zach Wilson looks good again. He has NFL type of throws every single game. 

 

wth, Zach Wilson?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, stitches said:

I'm moving on to BYU vs Texas State

 

I think I will be watching mainly the BYU offense in this one. 

edit: I won't be sharing too many impressions from this game because Texas state seem to be horrible defensively. I will just say, Zach Wilson looks good again. He has NFL type of throws every single game. 

 

wth, Zach Wilson?

 

 

 

Is he going Round 1?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, stitches said:

I'm moving on to BYU vs Texas State

 

I think I will be watching mainly the BYU offense in this one. 

edit: I won't be sharing too many impressions from this game because Texas state seem to be horrible defensively. I will just say, Zach Wilson looks good again. He has NFL type of throws every single game. 

 

wth, Zach Wilson?

 

 

I'm watching the BYU vs western Kentucky game right now, and idk zach wilson is playing great, but his play doesn't scream NFL starter to me. He seems like a great college QB that won't transfer to NFL. Although aside from Fields and Lawrence the drop off seems huge, because I'm not sold on Trey Lance either

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

 

I'm watching the BYU vs western Kentucky game right now, and idk zach wilson is playing great, but his play doesn't scream NFL starter to me. He seems like a great college QB that won't transfer to NFL. Although aside from Fields and Lawrence the drop off seems huge, because I'm not sold on Trey Lance either

Haven't seen the game yet, so I cannot comment on that one. From the boxscore it looks like it probably was his worst game of the season so far. But ignoring that one, he has some high end traits and he's looked like a possible NFL QB to me. But I want to see more of him for sure before I make up my mind. 

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Is he going Round 1?

No idea. He's getting some R1 hype. I guess it's possible. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching Ohio State vs Penn State now... Damn, Fields really looks amazing. I wish we could have him. How the hell did Georgia screw it up this badly? How do you pick Jake Fromm ahead of Fields? This is fireable offense in my books. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have created 2 very early draft scenarios for Indy. One with addressing QB, the other rolling with Eason.

 

If Ballard and company have confidence in Eason and we roll with him...

 

Round 1 Pick 22: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota 
Round 2 Pick 22: Aidan Hutchinson, DE/OLB, Michigan
Round 3 Pick 21: RaShawn Slater, OT, Northwestern 
Round 4 Pick 22: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan 
Round 5 Pick 22: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College 
Round 6 Pick 22: Monty Rice, ILB/OLB, Georgia
Round 7 Pick 22: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin 

 

With addressing QB in the draft...

 

(Indy trades 22nd overall pick plus their 2022 1st round pick for the 11th overall pick)

 

Round 1 Pick 11 (CINN): Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
Round 2 Pick 22: Aidan Hutchinson, DE/OLB, Michigan 
Round 3 Pick 21: RaShawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Round 4 Pick 22: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan 
Round 5 Pick 22: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College 
Round 6 Pick 22: Monty Rice, ILB/OLB, Georgia 
Round 7 Pick 22: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I have created 2 very early draft scenarios for Indy. One with addressing QB, the other rolling with Eason.

 

If Ballard and company have confidence in Eason and we roll with him...

 

Round 1 Pick 22: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota 
Round 2 Pick 22: Aidan Hutchinson, DE/OLB, Michigan
Round 3 Pick 21: RaShawn Slater, OT, Northwestern 
Round 4 Pick 22: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan 
Round 5 Pick 22: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College 
Round 6 Pick 22: Monty Rice, ILB/OLB, Georgia
Round 7 Pick 22: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin 

 

With addressing QB in the draft...

 

(Indy trades 22nd overall pick plus their 2022 1st round pick for the 11th overall pick)

 

Round 1 Pick 11 (CINN): Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
Round 2 Pick 22: Aidan Hutchinson, DE/OLB, Michigan 
Round 3 Pick 21: RaShawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Round 4 Pick 22: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan 
Round 5 Pick 22: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College 
Round 6 Pick 22: Monty Rice, ILB/OLB, Georgia 
Round 7 Pick 22: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin 

 I like it, I just doubt Ferguson will last until the 7th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For edge rushers I like in this particular order:

1. Kwitty Paye, Michigan

2. Patrick Jones II, Pitt

3. Carlos Basham, Wake Forest

 

Im not looking at any other position in the 1st round because this zone defense (while we need better play by the corners) will continue to get eaten alive if we can’t rush the passer. Lewis is finally making plays but isn’t a long term answer, I’m out on Banogu, and Turray can’t stay on the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For edge rushers I like in this particular order:

1. Kwitty Paye, Michigan

2. Patrick Jones II, Pitt

3. Carlos Basham, Wake Forest

 

Im not looking at any other position in the 1st round because this zone defense (while we need better play by the corners) will continue to get eaten alive if we can’t rush the passer. Lewis is finally making plays but isn’t a long term answer, I’m out on Banogu, and Turray can’t stay on the field. 

The reality is... none of it matters unless we have a QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

The reality is... none of it matters unless we have a QB. 

But the Zach Wilson train has picked up a lot of steam, and while nothing is certain, it looks like the Colts will be on the outside looking in for the QB sweepstakes. I don’t want Trask or Jones. QB can wait. I’d rather have Darnold tbh if we can’t have one of the top 4 guys.

 

But we can certainly build a good team up now so that when the franchise QB does arrive, he’s in an ideal situation. But this pass rush, or lack thereof isn’t going to cut it. Isn’t Houston in the last year of his deal too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But the Zach Wilson train has picked up a lot of steam, and while nothing is certain, it looks like the Colts will be on the outside looking in for the QB sweepstakes. I don’t want Trask or Jones. QB can wait. I’d rather have Darnold tbh if we can’t have one of the top 4 guys.

 

But we can certainly build a good team up now so that when the franchise QB does arrive, he’s in an ideal situation. But this pass rush, or lack thereof isn’t going to cut it. Isn’t Houston in the last year of his deal too?

You will never get a QB if you don't try to get one. We are not bad enough to ever be in position to get most QBs one would feel super comfortable with. We will have to take a chance on someone and/or we will have to trade up. QB is the position you can least afford to be cheap with. I don't care what it takes really(well, within reason and within historical norms). There is no too expensive franchise QB. If we love a QB and we think he has a high chance of becoming a franchise QB... just go and get him. I don't care if it takes future 1st picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

You will never get a QB if you don't try to get one. We are not bad enough to ever be in position to get most QBs one would feel super comfortable with. We will have to take a chance on someone and/or we will have to trade up. QB is the position you can least afford to be cheap with. I don't care what it takes really(well, within reason and within historical norms). There is no too expensive franchise QB. If we love a QB and we think he has a high chance of becoming a franchise QB... just go and get him. I don't care if it takes future 1st picks. 

 

Do we wait till draft day then to see if the Jets or Giants pull the trigger on a QB? If yes, then it might be easier to get Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones off their hands for a smaller price than before their move. I would definitely be open to it and keep my options open on that front.

 

At least they would have seen NFL speed enough from an experience point of view. Their trade values would go down with such a draft move by the Jets or Giants, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Do we wait till draft day then to see if the Jets or Giants pull the trigger on a QB? If yes, then it might be easier to get Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones off their hands for a smaller price than before their move. I would definitely be open to it and keep my options open on that front.

 

At least they would have seen NFL speed enough from an experience point of view.

 

If Darnold and Jones were franchise QBs their teams wouldn't be giving up on them and wouldn't be drafting in the top 3 in their 2nd-3d year on the job. They are very likely not franchise QBs, also they will be much closer to getting paid, which is one of the biggest parts of the appeal of rookie QBs - they are cheap for 3-4-5 years. The more I watch the league the more it seems like you are either pretty good early or you never become good at the QB position. Who is the last player who was bad for 2-3 years and then turned it around? Tannehill I guess is the closest I can think of but he wasn't even bad in Miami... he was just under Gase as his coach and had bad injuries. Even if we can find an example or two, those are obviously the exceptions, rather than the rule. I'm not willing to bet high on exceptions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

If Darnold and Jones were franchise QBs their teams wouldn't be giving up on them and wouldn't be drafting in the top 3 in their 2nd-3d year on the job. They are very likely not franchise QBs, also they will be much closer to getting paid, which is one of the biggest parts of the appeal of rookie QBs - they are cheap for 3-4-5 years. The more I watch the league the more it seems like you are either pretty good early or you never become good at the QB position. Who is the last player who was bad for 2-3 years and then turned it around? Tannehill I guess is the closest I can think of but he wasn't even bad in Miami... he was just under Gase as his coach and had bad injuries. Even if we can find an example or two, those are obviously the exceptions, rather than the rule. I'm not willing to bet high on exceptions. 

 

If the QB is not placed in a system that is friendly to their skills (like forcing RG3 or Lamar or Vince Young to be a pocket passer) etc., they are bound to fail. If you believe in their skills for your system and believe you can turn it around, you go and get them. Can't look at history to undermine your own judgement. 

 

Arizona Cardinals did that with Josh Rosen and were glad to give him away for a 2nd rounder, so there is precedent for standing ground on a 2nd rounder price. If it costs us just a 2nd rounder for Sam Darnold, I'd take my chances to be honest. It would be worth it to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

If the QB is not placed in a system that is friendly to their skills (like forcing RG3 or Lamar or Vince Young to be a pocket passer) etc., they are bound to fail. If you believe in their skills and believe you can turn it around, you go and get them. Can't look at history to undermine your own judgement. 

 

Arizona Cardinals did that with Josh Rosen and were glad to give him away for a 2nd rounder. If it costs us just a 2nd rounder for Sam Darnold, I'd take my chances to be honest. It would be worth it to me. 

And what happened with Rosen? Where is he now? On a practice squad somewhere. Teams are generally not stupid. If the team that drafted a guy a year or two earlier with top 5-10 pick is giving up on him, there is a reason for it. I wouldn't like giving up a day 1 or day 2 pick for either of them. Now if they come super cheap... sure... go ahead and take a shot, BUT... I definitely prefer we go get our own guy that doesn't have years of bad habits and trauma(from playing with bad OT or for bad coaches). 

 

This BTW seems like exactly what I was mentioning above about not being cheap with your most important position on the roster. I don't want us to look at the bargain bin with second-hand already returned once QBs with broken confidence or bad habits. This is not a great strategy for finding your franchise QB. There is a reason why you are getting discount on those QBs. 

 

I don't want a bargain QB, I want the best QB/prospect we can possibly get on this roster. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear our Colts are looking at Pittsburgh, Michigan and/or Penn St.  Before college restarted this season I had the following three players at the top of my draft boards:

 

TE Pat Freiermuth from Penn St would be a great first round option or even Pittsburgh's Edge Patrick Jones II.  In Round 3 WR Nico Collins from Michigan appears to have solid hands and no major history of drops.  

 

Our defense has greatly improved this season but never hurts to have top DL talent added.  Colts offense really needs to be our main focus not only during off-season but during the draft as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, stitches said:

You will never get a QB if you don't try to get one. We are not bad enough to ever be in position to get most QBs one would feel super comfortable with. We will have to take a chance on someone and/or we will have to trade up. QB is the position you can least afford to be cheap with. I don't care what it takes really(well, within reason and within historical norms). There is no too expensive franchise QB. If we love a QB and we think he has a high chance of becoming a franchise QB... just go and get him. I don't care if it takes future 1st picks. 

Didn’t we already try that with Eason? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Didn’t we already try that with Eason? 

No, Eason was a bargain and a shot you take. It's better than not taking any QB, but it's most probably not enough and won't result in a franchise QB. Now, if Frank and Ballard send signals that they think he's our future franchise QB AND follow through with actions... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how that one goes, but honestly I'm not holding my breath for that one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

No, Eason was a bargain and a shot you take. It's better than not taking any QB, but it's most probably not enough and won't result in a franchise QB. Now, if Frank and Ballard send signals that they think he's our future franchise QB AND follow through with actions... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how that one goes, but honestly I'm not holding my breath for that one. 

Yeah the verdict is still out on Eason and I am afraid we wont know about him till next season. 

All we are going to get is coach speak till we see him play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah the verdict is still out on Eason and I am afraid we wont know about him till next season. 

All we are going to get is coach speak till we see him play. 

There is one development in the off-season that I think will be a strong signal that Reich and Ballard think very highly of him... namely - they let Rivers go and they open up the path for Eason to the starting job. Without any major competition as a backup. Maybe you sign someone of Jacoby's caliber as a backup/competition but you don't go and acquire a player who is sure to demand the starting spot. In that hypothetical case, IMO it's safe to think that our FO and coaching staff think Eason is the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

There is one development that I think will be a strong signal that Reich and Ballard think very highly of him... namely - they let Rivers go and they open up the path for Eason to the starting job. Without any major competition as a backup. Maybe you sign someone of Jacoby's caliber as a backup/competition but you don't go and acquire a player who is sure to demand the starting spot. 

:agree:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I just saw a young person through a cancer scare like this.  I can tell you that dealing with it becomes exponentially harder the more people who know about it.   He's very * and now all of this is public and that is difficult   Sending positive thoughts to him and his family.  Things like this... there are not words for how difficult this is
    • As much as I hate to say it, 2 maybe three weeks will just about finish the colts. I believe they should look ahead and plan for the future. Rivers is a better than average QB in my book. I would not get rid of him for a couple of years. But you have to see what you have before that time comes. I only use Kelly as an example of waisted time. why not suit up Eason and let him run short yardage situations? He is cheaper and he needs the experience.
    • Yeah...these debates tend to devolve into strawman arguments and false choices. There's nothing wrong with objectively looking at the picks...and lamenting misses.    The first two rounds of the 2019 draft were not good. Passing on Sweat to trade back...and then passing on Brown and Metcalf...3x (if you include the tradeback from #40 to #44). I think it implies they had Rock and  Banogu atop their boards. From what I read...they were even considering Rock at #27. So I think we can judge those evaluations (up to this point).   Getting the #34 pick out of that trade back was nice...but Pittman is going to have to be a Pro Bowler for that trade-back to not be a bad move IMO.
    • I thought this was a 7-9 team so they are exceeding expectations. I’m very happy with the teams performance so far.  
    • Thanks for your advice 
  • Members

    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 9,182

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,811

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,630

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 646

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,601

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RDNScot

      RDNScot 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SSColts

      SSColts 8

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Franklin County

      Franklin County 480

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 14,232

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 2,749

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...