Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alshon Jeffery and Zach Ertz both available for trade

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No thanks on either under the current circumstances. And never AJ. 

I'd take an uninjured Ertz though. Eagles would be silly to trade him.

Ertz is maybe one but for all the big ticket guys upcoming, is an aging TE really what we need to invest in? 8+ million at age 30 and it’s for 1 more year and FA in 2022. I don’t know about you but I’m kinda tired of working on the 1 year deal guys. I’d like to keep building up MAC and either Doyle or his clone Hentges maybe. Idk what the plan is for Burton but I’m not spending 3-4 mil on him either. Can’t stay on the field his whole career so far. 

imho, until we can solidify the longer term QB spot, whether that’s Eason or a new draft pick, I really feel we need to focus on the defense and stay level on offense but not spend big $$ on guys that we don’t have a QB after next season probably, assuming we sign PR for 2021 and keep developing Eason. Keep building that strong defense to keep game scores down and beef up the oline to help protect whoever is back there and push the running game until a QB emerges and then you can start to add offensive pieces to start scoring because those new toys will come at the expense of guys on Def imho. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Ertz is maybe one but for all the big ticket guys upcoming, is an aging TE really what we need to invest in? 8+ million at age 30 and it’s for 1 more year and FA in 2022. I don’t know about you but I’m kinda tired of working on the 1 year deal guys. I’d like to keep building up MAC and either Doyle or his clone Hentges maybe. Idk what the plan is for Burton but I’m not spending 3-4 mil on him either. Can’t stay on the field his whole career so far. 

1 year deals, or short terms deals, are always part of the equation. And mixing in good but aged vets with young and upcoming talent is a good thing. That's just normal and good roster management. There's always a mix on a good team. I'd have zero issue with spending 8ish/year for two years on a healthy Ertz. That said, I'm higher than most on our current TEs. Doyle is extremely solid, Mo needs more snaps, and especially RZ and sail route type snaps. Burton did well, but he's more slot WR than TE to me. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

imho, until we can solidify the longer term QB spot, whether that’s Eason or a new draft pick, I really feel we need to focus on the defense and stay level on offense but not spend big $$ on guys that we don’t have a QB after next season probably, assuming we sign PR for 2021 and keep developing Eason. Keep building that strong defense to keep game scores down and beef up the oline to help protect whoever is back there and push the running game until a QB emerges and then you can start to add offensive pieces to start scoring because those new toys will come at the expense of guys on Def imho. 

8M for 2 years is not a huge or long term investment. With Ertz being injured now, and only one year left on his deal, Eagles can't ask for much. 

Honest question, aside the QB elephant in the room, what are your top 5 position needs?

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Ertz is injured and will miss between 6-8 weeks, so he's out. I'd rather see if the Giants would part with Everett, he can play..

Giants have serious talent on that D-line of theirs. Too bad their OL stinks and cannot help them play complementary football.

8 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Ertz is injured and will miss between 6-8 weeks, so he's out. I'd rather see if the Giants would part with Everett, he can play..

You mean Evan Engram? If so, his injuries and drops (leads the league with 4) aren't too inspiring and he hasn't really produced as a pro.

My feelings on this really depend on what we'd have to give up for them. A 6th for a AJ? why wouldn't you do that even if he ends up being a supreme bust. We would've wasted that pick on some random practice squad guy that gets cut during training camp anyways. AJ could negatively impact our gameplan if the coaches go all in on him and he's a bust but I say treat him like a unproven player and make him earn snaps.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No thanks on either under the current circumstances. And never AJ. 

I'd take an uninjured Ertz though. Eagles would be silly to trade him.

No they wouldn’t be.

He doesn’t want to be there, he is due for an another extension, and now he’s injured. 2021 looks like a deep draft for TEs. Why not flip an unhappy and injured TE on a big contract for a 2nd round pick at the worse? Makes a lot of sense honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No they wouldn’t be.

He doesn’t want to be there, he is due for an another extension, and now he’s injured. 2021 looks like a deep draft for TEs. Why not flip an unhappy and injured TE on a big contract for a 2nd round pick at the worse? Makes a lot of sense honestly. 

Not sure he doesn't want to be there (haven't read that, so let me know if it's out there). I think he just wants a 2nd big long term contract. I don't see them getting a 2nd rounder to be honest. He's only got one year left on his contract, he's 30 now, and his production has dropped off a cliff this year even though Philly is lean as hell on passing targets. His AVG has dropped more than 30% and catch % by 12pts. His cap hit drops substantially next year, so not expensive to keep. I'm guessing he wants top 5 money and at least 4 years, and he's not even producing at a top 20 level. Rogers (another one of their TEs) is already outperforming him, and he has a mid round rookie nipping at his heels with a better AVG.

I'd take him for his one year left and 8M due next year, but not giving up a 2nd. I'd rather draft a TE in the 2nd and get a cheap rookie contract. Like you said, TE class is supposed to be good, and TEs drop all the time.

20 hours ago, Jdubu said:

This^ 

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, and what I believe Ballard is doing

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No they wouldn’t be.

Seriously - who is going to be giving up a 2nd round pick for “an injured tight end on a big contract?”

I mean if he is out 6-8 weeks as suggested, what good would he do a team this year anyway?  And would he not be able to pass the physical until after the trade deadline has passed?

To me the answer to all these questions lie in Philly as in that is where he finishes the season. 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:02 AM, EastStreet said:

1 year deals, or short terms deals, are always part of the equation. And mixing in good but aged vets with young and upcoming talent is a good thing. That's just normal and good roster management. There's always a mix on a good team. I'd have zero issue with spending 8ish/year for two years on a healthy Ertz. That said, I'm higher than most on our current TEs. Doyle is extremely solid, Mo needs more snaps, and especially RZ and sail route type snaps. Burton did well, but he's more slot WR than TE to me. 

8M for 2 years is not a huge or long term investment. With Ertz being injured now, and only one year left on his deal, Eagles can't ask for much. 

Honest question, aside the QB elephant in the room, what are your top 5 position needs?

I don’t disagree that having some of these 1 yr deals are part of the game and can be used to bridge to the next draft or to have some vet presence but at some point, you also have to have confidence in your draft picks, coaches to develop them and putting your cap space in your core players.

Again, I haven’t watched a sporting event this year b/c of the early politics pushed into them so I’m only going from the boards and stat lines mostly. so who or what we need at top 5 spots is hard for me to say but based on many remarks, my top need is a pass rusher. We need to find that Freeney presence somehow. Nobody has seemingly stepped up to be gameplanned in years for us. Turay, while loved what he brought when playing, just hasn’t played and therefore no affect on games. Houston? Nice but he isn’t dominating his position it seems. Outside of Buckner, has anyone hit national headlines to be concerned over from the Dline? So my feeling is pass rusher #1 priority. LT 2nd, RG 3rd, TE 4th CB 5th ( and possibly as high as 2nd). 

imho, this team doesn’t sound like it has an identity outside its own inner circle of players. What are they? Are they going to dominate as a running team or a passing juggernaut? And I get, balance is best. On defense, are they dominant as run stoppers or getting to the QB to disrupt QB’s and make turnovers? I don’t think they’ve really decided what they want this team to be and get other teams to talk about how are we going to overcome (this area). 

I could be wrong but that’s my distant takes. Always enjoy your posts and view points. 

18 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Seriously - who is going to be giving up a 2nd round pick for “an injured tight end on a big contract?”

I mean if he is out 6-8 weeks as suggested, what good would he do a team this year anyway?  And would he not be able to pass the physical until after the trade deadline has passed?

To me the answer to all these questions lie in Philly as in that is where he finishes the season. 

A team that has a chance at the SB might sign him. Hell, after seeing toxic AB get signed by the Bucs, anything is possible. Plus they have Dallas Goedert. 

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

A team that has a chance at the SB might sign him. Hell, after seeing toxic AB get signed by the Bucs, anything is possible. Plus they have Dallas Goedert. 

I am aware of who Philly has at the position.  Does not impact the point at all. 

Nobody was giving up a 2nd round pick for AB. 

My entire point is no one is giving up that high of a pick for Ertz with his current circumstances. 

If your proposed deal was offered to Philly they would take it in a nanosecond. No one will though. 

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t disagree that having some of these 1 yr deals are part of the game and can be used to bridge to the next draft or to have some vet presence but at some point, you also have to have confidence in your draft picks, coaches to develop them and putting your cap space in your core players.

You can only have confidence in the draft picks that perform. And Ballard has drafted a lot better than Grigson, so I can't complain in this area. His hit rate on production is pretty good. All teams use short term deals. It's part of the business when you  have to fill holes.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Again, I haven’t watched a sporting event this year b/c of the early politics pushed into them so I’m only going from the boards and stat lines mostly. so who or what we need at top 5 spots is hard for me to say but based on many remarks, my top need is a pass rusher. We need to find that Freeney presence somehow. Nobody has seemingly stepped up to be gameplanned in years for us. Turay, while loved what he brought when playing, just hasn’t played and therefore no affect on games. Houston? Nice but he isn’t dominating his position it seems. Outside of Buckner, has anyone hit national headlines to be concerned over from the Dline? So my feeling is pass rusher #1 priority. LT 2nd, RG 3rd, TE 4th CB 5th ( and possibly as high as 2nd). 

You ought to give it a shot. Much less politics than expected, and a lot less than other sports.

I think part of the problem though is our lack of blitzing. We're still one of the least blitzing teams, and most of the other sack heavy teams have a significant increase in blitz % compared to us. 

Hoping Turay comes back 100%. If not, we need to make a move in the off season for sure. Still think we resign Houston too.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

imho, this team doesn’t sound like it has an identity outside its own inner circle of players. What are they? Are they going to dominate as a running team or a passing juggernaut? And I get, balance is best. On defense, are they dominant as run stoppers or getting to the QB to disrupt QB’s and make turnovers? I don’t think they’ve really decided what they want this team to be and get other teams to talk about how are we going to overcome (this area). 

I could be wrong but that’s my distant takes. Always enjoy your posts and view points. 

I agree we don't have much identity on either side. We really have had balance from game to game either. Our identity to me thus far is conservativeness. 

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You can only have confidence in the draft picks that perform. And Ballard has drafted a lot better than Grigson, so I can't complain in this area. His hit rate on production is pretty good. All teams use short term deals. It's part of the business when you  have to fill holes.

You ought to give it a shot. Much less politics than expected, and a lot less than other sports.

I think part of the problem though is our lack of blitzing. We're still one of the least blitzing teams, and most of the other sack heavy teams have a significant increase in blitz % compared to us. 

Hoping Turay comes back 100%. If not, we need to make a move in the off season for sure. Still think we resign Houston too.

I agree we don't have much identity on either side. We really have had balance from game to game either. Our identity to me thus far is conservativeness. 

I agree, his hit rate on production guys has been pretty good but we’ve still not had that stand out in the pass rusher yet and he has made several of those picks. Turay is a great potential but can’t stay on the field which = no return to date. Banogu hasn’t done anything to make me feel good. Another pick a few years ago never even made the squad (Basham) and Geri Green just for good measure. But he has hit in other areas very nicely, can’t hit 100% and above 50% is pretty solid. Now he has to absolutely hit 100% on a LT and/or CB soon. 

as for watching again, I’m a negative at this point. It’s comparable to you’ve told my daughter she is a fat ugly pig and then a week later want to ask her out on a date. They’ve already marked their line in the sand and I won’t cross it soon. I’ll follow it here but watching it is out. Maybe one day I’ll resume watching or perhaps the distance I’ve added gives me better translation into a complete walk away as I’ve not missed the game watching as I thought I would initially. The nfl has fences to mend with the group they’ve alienated upfront imho. 

refresh my memory, did we use much blitzing under Grigson? Seems like We have not been a blitzing team since we had Freeney and Mathis in prime. Which def coordinators were blitz heavy colts men? 

Turay had a lot of Mathis in him when he has played but just too little of playing time for this young man. Injuries have just been terrible to him. I hope he comes back and stays healthy for next two seasons at minimum. 

as for bringing back Houston, I’m not seeing him in the stat box that says he is creating havoc that points to a must resign him back? You watch the games so I assume you see something more than a stat box shows? I sure would like to see some defensive play like the 49’s last year or the Baltimore group in their dominance years. I’d like to just see something printed that gave this group an identity that other teams aspired to become as opposed to us looking to other teams and thinking man, I’d like to look like that. We had that with the offense under Manning, just couldn’t get the defense to be serviceable much along the Manning ride sadly enough. 

anyways, always good to read your take. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I agree, his hit rate on production guys has been pretty good but we’ve still not had that stand out in the pass rusher yet and he has made several of those picks. Turay is a great potential but can’t stay on the field which = no return to date. Banogu hasn’t done anything to make me feel good. Another pick a few years ago never even made the squad (Basham) and Geri Green just for good measure. But he has hit in other areas very nicely, can’t hit 100% and above 50% is pretty solid. Now he has to absolutely hit 100% on a LT and/or CB soon. 

Basham had a strip sack yesterday lol

as for watching again, I’m a negative at this point. It’s comparable to you’ve told my daughter she is a fat ugly pig and then a week later want to ask her out on a date. They’ve already marked their line in the sand and I won’t cross it soon. I’ll follow it here but watching it is out. Maybe one day I’ll resume watching or perhaps the distance I’ve added gives me better translation into a complete walk away as I’ve not missed the game watching as I thought I would initially. The nfl has fences to mend with the group they’ve alienated upfront imho. 

I pretty much ignored the NBA this year, especially after the Pacers dropped. Not sure I'll ever go back.

I gave the NFL a shot. Wasn't near as bad. 

refresh my memory, did we use much blitzing under Grigson? Seems like We have not been a blitzing team since we had Freeney and Mathis in prime. Which def coordinators were blitz heavy colts men? 

Pretty sure we blitzed more pre-Reich. Tried to look for % but the adv D stats for blitz % only went back to 2018 lol on PFR

Turay had a lot of Mathis in him when he has played but just too little of playing time for this young man. Injuries have just been terrible to him. I hope he comes back and stays healthy for next two seasons at minimum. 

as for bringing back Houston, I’m not seeing him in the stat box that says he is creating havoc that points to a must resign him back? You watch the games so I assume you see something more than a stat box shows? I sure would like to see some defensive play like the 49’s last year or the Baltimore group in their dominance years. I’d like to just see something printed that gave this group an identity that other teams aspired to become as opposed to us looking to other teams and thinking man, I’d like to look like that. We had that with the offense under Manning, just couldn’t get the defense to be serviceable much along the Manning ride sadly enough. 

anyways, always good to read your take. Thanks 

I think Houston is very solid, still. He's got 10 total pressures, only one less than Buckner. AQM and Autry both with 7 or 8ish. 

As far as blitzing goes, while we don't do it a lot, Willis has had some nice ones. He's got 3 pressures on 9 blitzes. Okereke has blitzed the most (13 times), but has zero pressures.  Probably time to move those attempts to someone else.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Basham had a strip sack yesterday lol

but he is on another team, didn’t get developed here. Anderson and Jerry Hughes would be other examples of guys who developed away from us. 

I pretty much ignored the NBA this year, especially after the Pacers dropped. Not sure I'll ever go back.

I gave the NFL a shot. Wasn't near as bad. 

yeah I get it, I’m very stubborn once irritated and just what the league did at the beginning of the season has really frustrated me. They went with the wind of what voice screamed loudest and alienated many of the supporters who actually spent money on the games. Won’t be me anymore for along time most likely. Heck, Sears ticked me off once, never went back. That was 18 years ago lol. 

Pretty sure we blitzed more pre-Reich. Tried to look for % but the adv D stats for blitz % only went back to 2018 lol on PFR

I think Houston is very solid, still. He's got 10 total pressures, only one less than Buckner. AQM and Autry both with 7 or 8ish. 

just reading, it sounds like a lot of those pressures from AQM and Autry cane in the first few games and them died off? Could be they are or have just been used more than their bodies are capable of performing at that same high level? I suppose Houston is suffering from the same individual stat lines as Buckner has. Gets good push and pressure but isn’t getting home to make the big impact play. That is what I’ve heard on the Kevin Bowen podcast for Buckner. While he is doing what others hadn’t been able to do and he is opening up opportunities for others, he hasn’t hit the sack totals and individual stat lines that all pro players will get. Are we getting those seal plays from the edges from our Lb’ers or DE’s that we were getting with Sheard or are these QB’s and Rb’s slipping out? 

As far as blitzing goes, while we don't do it a lot, Willis has had some nice ones. He's got 3 pressures on 9 blitzes. Okereke has blitzed the most (13 times), but has zero pressures.  Probably time to move those attempts to someone else.

agree. Didn’t we get lots more pressure from Leonard last season? I think the defense planned on Turay and Lewis being involved in this defense. Along with the addition of Buckner, having Turay and Lewis at rush end could have been the game plan but injuries and whatever is going on with Lewis so far happens. I see that Lewis is getting more reps and more praise so hopefully that’s not just coaching motivation and he is actually flashing on the field now. Would be nice to get production from him. 

39 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

but he is on another team, didn’t get developed here. Anderson and Jerry Hughes would be other examples of guys who developed away from us. 

I was just kidding abut Basham... lol

yeah I get it, I’m very stubborn once irritated and just what the league did at the beginning of the season has really frustrated me. They went with the wind of what voice screamed loudest and alienated many of the supporters who actually spent money on the games. Won’t be me anymore for along time most likely. Heck, Sears ticked me off once, never went back. That was 18 years ago lol. 

If you're going to follow all the reports and stuff, you might was well watch. 

just reading, it sounds like a lot of those pressures from AQM and Autry cane in the first few games and them died off? Could be they are or have just been used more than their bodies are capable of performing at that same high level? I suppose Houston is suffering from the same individual stat lines as Buckner has. Gets good push and pressure but isn’t getting home to make the big impact play. That is what I’ve heard on the Kevin Bowen podcast for Buckner. While he is doing what others hadn’t been able to do and he is opening up opportunities for others, he hasn’t hit the sack totals and individual stat lines that all pro players will get. Are we getting those seal plays from the edges from our Lb’ers or DE’s that we were getting with Sheard or are these QB’s and Rb’s slipping out

Both Houston and Autry have been gimpy, so that's likely part of it. As far as getting home, without blitzing, you really make it easy on the OL. I mean, it's 5 on 4. IMO, if we'd send more, more often, it would show up in the stats. We struggled vs the Browns, but Pitt, who blitzed 59% of the time, was all over the QB.

agree. Didn’t we get lots more pressure from Leonard last season? I think the defense planned on Turay and Lewis being involved in this defense. Along with the addition of Buckner, having Turay and Lewis at rush end could have been the game plan but injuries and whatever is going on with Lewis so far happens. I see that Lewis is getting more reps and more praise so hopefully that’s not just coaching motivation and he is actually flashing on the field now. Would be nice to get production from him. 

Yes, Leonard got some pressures. I really don't think they assumed Lewis was going to be a rush DE. He's a tweener. Jury is still out. As far as rush DE, I think they expected Turay and Banogu. Banogu simply has shown much.

Archived