Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Message From Jim Irsay


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I agree - one of the best owners in sports. I get the feeling he wants to see the Colts win as much as some of the fans like me who have lived and died with the team for 50 years.

The Colts have been in Jims life for 48 years. No doubt he wants to win just like the fans do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts have been in Jims life for 48 years. No doubt he wants to win just like the fans do. 

Yea,kinda funny.

The worst owner in the league wants to-win as bad as any fan.  
Even if only for financial reasons. 
Which are,in themselves pretty big reasons.   hundreds of thousand dollar big.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea,kinda funny.

The worst owner in the league wants to-win as bad as any fan.  
Even if only for financial reasons. 
Which are,in themselves pretty big reasons.   hundreds of thousand dollar big.

 

The Bengals owner has made it known they are just interested in turning a profit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Bengals owner has made it known they are just interested in turning a profit.  

I haven't met many successful people who were’t passionate about what  they do.

i guess this guy backs up that philosophy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I haven't met many successful people who were’t passionate about what  they do.

i guess this guy backs up that philosophy.

Well the bengals owner literally inherited his money and team from his father and has just been interested in maintaining it.  Jim Irsay who also inherited his team has gone above and beyond to make sure the Colts win.  It’s pretty clear one values the dollar while the other values winning.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Bengals owner has made it known they are just interested in turning a profit.  

Yeah, his statement was along the lines of “as long as we continue to make money we’re content”. 
 

Joe Burrow is a money maker for them, but they might not have a care in putting a complete team around him. 
 

We could do a lot worse than Irsay. He’s honestly on the positive side of the spectrum. I’ll take him as CEO any day of the week over someone like Dan Snyder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well the bengals owner literally inherited his money and team from his father and has just been interested in maintaining it.  Jim Irsay who also inherited his team has gone above and beyond to make sure the Colts win.  It’s pretty clear one values the dollar while the other values winning.  

If you cut Jim's arm, little blue horses run out of his veins.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I agree - one of the best owners in sports. I get the feeling he wants to see the Colts win as much as some of the fans like me who have lived and died with the team for 50 years.

Love your screen name 

. I am with ya buddy colts and os and over 50 years 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Is PTO like a PS(Post script).  Addition at the end of a letter after the signature?

Sorry pal, must be a British thing. ‘Please turn over’.

 

Meaning there is some additional info on the other side of the page, or there is another page to read etc. 
 

I was just being foolish. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

If you cut Jim's arm, little blue horses run out of his veins.

What is bad is that the Bengals owner has been around the NFL since he was 12 and has been associated with the Bengals since Day 1

 

@RollerColt
 

 

 

 

12 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry pal, must be a British thing. ‘Please turn over’.

 

Meaning there is some additional info on the other side of the page, or there is another page to read etc. 
 

I was just being foolish. 

So it is like BTW in the states

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Is PTO like a PS(Post script).  Addition at the end of a letter after the signature?

 

13 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

What

 

I feel so old for knowing the answer to this, but PTO stands for "Please Turn Over" and was a common acronym used at the end of a letter for when you ran out of space on the first page. It basically let people know there was more on the back side of the paper for them to read.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

 

I feel so old for knowing the answer to this, but PTO stands for "Please Turn Over" and was a common acronym used at the end of a letter for when you ran out of space on the first page. It basically let people know there was more on the back side of the paper for them to read.

I only know thanks to the Harry Potter series. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry pal, must be a British thing. ‘Please turn over’.

 

Meaning there is some additional info on the other side of the page, or there is another page to read etc. 
 

I was just being foolish. 

Yeah, us yanks just draw an arrow in the bottom right corner of the page. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well the bengals owner literally inherited his money and team from his father and has just been interested in maintaining it.  Jim Irsay who also inherited his team has gone above and beyond to make sure the Colts win.  It’s pretty clear one values the dollar while the other values winning.  

I'm not sure if I follow your logic on this one, especially since, in football, winning equates to more money.

 

Additionally there is nothing wrong with a business owner turning a profiit... that is why most business owners, you know own a business.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure if I follow your logic on this one, especially since, in football, winning equates to more money.

 

Additionally there is nothing wrong with a business owner turning a profiit... that is why most business owners, you know own a business.

Look at how the bengals are run it’s not a secret or controversial to say they don’t go above and beyond to try to win like Irsay does with the Colts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it just about every time irsay releases a statement we're told on this forum that he's  the Best and greatest owner of all time??

I'm not knocking him or anything,  I know it must be difficult for him fighting his demons for most his life and all so god bless him going forward. 

But really the greatest sports owner of all time?  Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at how the bengals are run it’s not a secret or controversial to say they don’t go above and beyond to try to win like Irsay does with the Colts.  

I guess I don't have the inside information about the Bengals organization that you do to determine if they go above and beyond to try and win.  I can see from the outside they are not very good at it, but that does not mean it is from a lack of trying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why is it just about every time irsay releases a statement we're told on this forum that he's  the Best and greatest owner of all time??

I'm not knocking him or anything,  I know it must be difficult for him fighting his demons for most his life and all so god bless him going forward. 

But really the greatest sports owner of all time?  Lol

We have the bestest owner, the bestest GM, and bestest coach.... EVER. 

To say we don't is outrageous and you should turn in your fan card.

 

Yes, that was sarcasm. Too many people hang too hard on owner-speak, GM-speak, and coach-speak.

 

In all seriousness, I do really like Irsay though. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I guess I don't have the inside information about the Bengals organization that you do to determine if they go above and beyond to try and win.  I can see from the outside they are not very good at it, but that does not mean it is from a lack of trying.

There are countless reports on it over the years.  The Bengals ownership has made it known they don’t want to spend money beyond what they have too.  Again this is not news or controversial.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

There are countless reports on it over the years.  The Bengals ownership has made it known they don’t want to spend money beyond what they have too.  Again this is not news or controversial.

and that's why they cant win a playoff game to save themselves :violin: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There are countless reports on it over the years.  The Bengals ownership has made it known they don’t want to spend money beyond what they have too.  Again this is not news or controversial.

 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

and that's why they cant win a playoff game to save themselves :violin: 

The Bengals have less cap room than the Colts. 

So spending the money is not the problem. 

The problem is <::::::> it's the Bengals. :hat:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why is it just about every time irsay releases a statement we're told on this forum that he's  the Best and greatest owner of all time??

I'm not knocking him or anything,  I know it must be difficult for him fighting his demons for most his life and all so god bless him going forward. 

But really the greatest sports owner of all time?  Lol

Classic overreaction. Like taking too many happy pills I guess. And sure, a case can be made for a lot of other owners. But Jim is pretty dang good in my book. At least we're not "The Indiana Football Team". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Classic overreaction. Like taking too many happy pills I guess. And sure, a case can be made for a lot of other owners. But Jim is pretty dang good in my book. At least we're not "The Indiana Football Team". 

He also leaves the football operations to football people

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What is bad is that the Bengals owner has been around the NFL since he was 12 and has been associated with the Bengals since Day 1

 

@RollerColt
 

So, what you're saying is; losing is in his veins.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

 

The Bengals have less cap room than the Colts. 

So spending the money is not the problem. 

The problem is <::::::> it's the Bengals. :hat:

There are other ways to spend money than besides salary cap and that’s the spending they haven’t been willing to do.  Example it was reported one of the reasons they held on to Lewis for so long was because they didn’t want to pay him what they owed on his contract and another coach.

 

heres an article from 2018 from a former player talking about it.

 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/7/11/17552714/former-nfl-wr-t-j-houshmandzadeh-reveals-just-how-cheap-the-bengals-used-to-be-pittsburgh-steelers

 

he’s not an owner willing to take a chance to win if it could hurt the bottom line.  If they happen to win then great.  
 

Jim Irsay is the exact opposite.  He’s willing to take just about any chance he can to win.  That attitude has rewarded him with a nice profit but that hasn’t been his primary goal in running the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There are other ways to spend money than besides salary cap and that’s the spending they haven’t been willing to do.  Example it was reported one of the reasons they held on to Lewis for so long was because they didn’t want to pay him what they owed on his contract and another coach.

 

I wonder if the Raiders will do the same thing with Gruden.

 

A ten-year $100-million contract?  That's crazy.

 

Not even Belichick gets 10-year contracts from Bobby Kraft.  :loco:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

There are other ways to spend money than besides salary cap and that’s the spending they haven’t been willing to do.  Example it was reported one of the reasons they held on to Lewis for so long was because they didn’t want to pay him what they owed on his contract and another coach.

 

heres an article from 2018 from a former player talking about it.

 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/7/11/17552714/former-nfl-wr-t-j-houshmandzadeh-reveals-just-how-cheap-the-bengals-used-to-be-pittsburgh-steelers

 

he’s not an owner willing to take a chance to win if it could hurt the bottom line.  If they happen to win then great.  
 

Jim Irsay is the exact opposite.  He’s willing to take just about any chance he can to win.  That attitude has rewarded him with a nice profit but that hasn’t been his primary goal in running the team.

The cap and what the coaches are paid are two different things.

 

You wrote a paragraph pretty much saying the same thing I did. 

The Bengals being the Bengals. :thinking:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What a great time to be a colts fan.  Playoffs are probable but not a sure thing so every game is going to be important.  We have a team that should be at least competitive in every game and I think could beat anyone if things go right.  The rest of this year is going to be fun. 
    • We're not taking Willis out, he's a monster.  There's no place for Hooker to start.  Plus, coming off injury he will still want a big prove it deal.  He's likely gone HH.
    • that could happen.  Just like 4 wins could win the NFC East this year.  
    • I tell you one thing.  I am much more confident in a victory than I was the first time around
    • That is a moving target.  We have no idea today which College QBs will even be in the draft.  We also don't know which ones might rise up from unexpected places.  The favorite for the Heisman wasn't on many people's radar just a couple months ago.     We also have no idea how our 4th round pick is performing.  We don't have a single hint even.  He could look like a washout or he could look like Mahommes Pt, 2.   Additionally, we have no idea what other QBs will be on the market for trade.  Would Matt Ryan be an option? Sam Darnold? etc. etc.  Those are just names we have no idea who will actually be available.  We also do not know for sure that Rivers will want to keep playing.  There's still at least 6 weeks to go.  Anything could happen.  Injury could quickly make him decide to move on.  He's never been hurt enough to miss a game.  A significant injury could make him pack it up.  We also don't know if he will hold up in general.  What if his arm fades significantly? It happens to the best.  Brady looked awful.  Manning got benched and barely made it through the playoffs his last year.  He was awful in the Super Bowl even though his defense won the game.     We just don't know what options we'll have or what the circumstances will be.  We may see a massive salary cap reduction and they may go with a cheaper option out of necessity.  We have a lot of young players that need to be resigned.  One year QB versus 8+ more years with a key young player can change things.     I am not anti Rivers, just the opposite.  I have said all year that when the oline was struggling early, his quick release made all the difference.  When people were calling for Jacoby, I said his slow release will no longer fly.   But I am also a realist.  We need a long term answer at QB.  Year to year is bad for everyone.  Each QB has pros and cons and we need to build a team that works with our QB's strengths.  I hope that Eason is thriving.   Otherwise, I hope we draft a young guy who is ready to go.  I am not a Darnold fan, but Ballard has a good track record at most positions.  Let's hope when he picks someone, whether it is Rivers or an unknown, they can keep this train rolling.  All that said, it is WAY too early to hitch the wagon for one last year with an immobile elderly RB.      
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...