Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Writer, Columist, Reported

coltsfeva

Writers, Columnists and Reporters  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite writer/columnist/reporter for Colts content?

• Kevin Bowen
    • Rick Venturi
    • Mike Chapell
    • Steven Holder
    • Greg Doyle
    • Mike Wells
    • Bob Kravits

Jim Ayello of the Indy Star is my favorite writer. Love his pieces, love to see him do interviews. He is an absolute machine when listening to him speak, and he is so intelligent. No one compares IMO.

Second would probably be Kevin Bowen. Still mad he got fired off of here.

23 hours ago, RollerColt said:

How about our very own Andrew Walker? Would he count? 

Agreed, what disrespect to not be on the list.

Walker takes questions from the forum and puts them in his articles.

Not to sure how many of those other people do that.

Sorry Andrew, you should of been included in the poll. Would of had my vote. Thanks for all that you do.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, superrep1967 said:

It’s Venturi for me all the way hands down . There’s no one in the market more knowledgeable than him. Some will say he sucked as a head coach but at least he coached. 

Venturi is a riot. Hilarious guy. Knows his stuff but he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, his back has to be crooked from him patting it so much.

Also, he does way too many about faces and acts as if there are no receipts of some things he's said.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, Superman said:

I don't like any of them. 

The guy doing actual football stuff on Stampede Blue is really good though.

I'm in this camp. 

I don't really hate any of them, but they all have holes and are inconsistent. Some are too fan boy, some don't know the game well enough, some regurgitate, some are high light kings, some are just way off the mark.

Case in point. I like some of what Hicks does. Then this week though he comes out with an article pumping up Okereke. Yes, Oke's last game was improved, but he's been pretty bad for the most part this year. One or two decent games doesn't erase 4 bad ones and picking out highlights doesn't erase the really ugly plays that are ignored. I do agree he's probably better in man than zone. 

Anyway, the inconsistency of the some of these guys drive me nuts. And I hate fanboys and highlight kings.

17 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Does Natalie Portman ever write or talk about the Colts? Asking for a friend...

She went to Harvard so I assume she can write well, but I don't know if she knows anything about the game, or the Colts. But Indy Star could do worse, that's for sure.

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm in this camp. 

I don't really hate any of them, but they all have holes and are inconsistent. Some are too fan boy, some don't know the game well enough, some regurgitate, some are high light kings, some are just way off the mark.

Case in point. I like some of what Hicks does. Then this week though he comes out with an article pumping up Okereke. Yes, Oke's last game was improved, but he's been pretty bad for the most part this year. One or two decent games doesn't erase 4 bad ones and picking out highlights doesn't erase the really ugly plays that are ignored. I do agree he's probably better in man than zone. 

Anyway, the inconsistency of the some of these guys drive me nuts. And I hate fanboys and highlight kings.

Hicks is the SB guy, right? He does football stuff. I don't have to agree with it all. He does seem more fanboy than previous SB guys (which isn't a hard bar to clear), but he appears to understand the game and takes the time to write about it.

But he's a blogger. He isn't part of the team's media pool, which is what I thought the OP was asking about.

Among the guys at the pressers, asking questions, interacting with the team and the staff, none of them really ask about the things that I would like to know more about. They get wrapped up in surface level stuff, and they ask superfluous questions about already covered topics. They lean toward being click-baity and sensational, making more out of the high level stuff than I care for, while not digging into the more detailed stuff that matters to me. (And Gregg Doyel is a troll.)

A question I'd like to hear asked and answered would be something relating to the team's screen game -- we haven't been able to run screens effectively since PM left, and this year they work a lot better, but we don't run a lot of them. Same for swing passes. What's that about it? Why are we better, and why don't we call more? Similar questions about play action.

And to be honest, I've stopped following the pressers very closely because they're so boilerplate. So it's possible that in recent weeks some of the questions I would be more interested in hearing answers to have been asked, but I've missed them. But I listened to basically every coach presser for several years, and didn't hear this stuff, so I doubt that they've changed their approach in the last six weeks.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

A question I'd like to hear asked and answered would be something relating to the team's screen game -- we haven't been able to run screens effectively since PM left, and this year they work a lot better, but we don't run a lot of them. Same for swing passes. What's that about it? Why are we better, and why don't we call more? Similar questions about play action.

Preach!

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Hicks is the SB guy, right? He does football stuff. I don't have to agree with it all. He does seem more fanboy than previous SB guys (which isn't a hard bar to clear), but he appears to understand the game and takes the time to write about it.

But he's a blogger. He isn't part of the team's media pool, which is what I thought the OP was asking about.

Yup, he's SB. He does good stuff at times. I just think he get dug in on favs and over highlights the good, and ignores the bad. I think he's overly fanboy for instance on Okereke. 

Among the guys at the pressers, asking questions, interacting with the team and the staff, none of them really ask about the things that I would like to know more about. They get wrapped up in surface level stuff, and they ask superfluous questions about already covered topics. They lean toward being click-baity and sensational, making more out of the high level stuff than I care for, while not digging into the more detailed stuff that matters to me. (And Gregg Doyel is a troll.)

I don't mind hard questions, but I do not like the sensationalists. I'd prefer just simple hard questions. But you really never get good answers to hard questions.

Yup, I'd be very interested in those answers myself. I'd also ask why we aren't running more power/gap with Taylor why he gets his zone timing down.

And to be honest, I've stopped following the pressers very closely because they're so boilerplate. So it's possible that in recent weeks some of the questions I would be more interested in hearing answers to have been asked, but I've missed them. But I listened to basically every coach presser for several years, and didn't hear this stuff, so I doubt that they've changed their approach in the last six weeks.

Boilerplate is an understatement. It's almost always straight from the coach-speak script.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm in this camp. 

Hicks isn't bad...I like him better than the other SB guys (except for TTR...but he's strictly a data guy...and that's not for most people). But those film reviews are just filler for the most part. You can make any player appear to be having a great season with 6-7 good clips. 

What surprised me is that 5 people voted for Holder. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but yikes.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Hicks isn't bad...I like him better than the other SB guys (except for TTR...but he's strictly a data guy...and that's not for most people). But those film reviews are just filler for the most part. You can make any player appear to be having a great season with 6-7 good clips. 

What surprised me is that 5 people voted for Holder. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but yikes.

I wish the votes were public. I could probably guess who voted for Holder lol. 

Archived