Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RPO or no RPO? What is it going to be???

AustexColt

Watching Post Game interviews... NO ONE ASKS FRANK ... WHY are you calling plays to the weakness of your offense?   I know he is the guru of the RPO but Rivers is not an RPO QB, so what is happening?  Either you have a non RPO playbook that fits Rivers (which limits Frank's genius) OR you have an RPO playbook that Rivers can execute. What Colts offense are we going to get in 2020?

2 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Watching Post Game interviews... NO ONE ASKS FRANK ... WHY are you calling plays to the weakness of your offense?   I know he is the guru of the RPO but Rivers is not an RPO QB, so what is happening?  Either you have a non RPO playbook that fits Rivers (which limits Frank's genius) OR you have an RPO playbook that Rivers can execute. What Colts offense are we going to get in 2020?

You owe me 30 seconds of my life back for reading that. 

44 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

You do not need a mobile QB to run a run pass option .    Its just the QB has the choice of handing the ball to the running back or throwing it .   the point is if the linebackers bite and play the run the QB pulls the ball back and throws it to the empty spot left by the linebackers biting on the run .  Its a great play to run and it helps teams with players that struggle to get open .  It makes the throwing lanes much larger

A quick google pulls this up, that seems a good summary:

https://sportdfw.com/2018/05/08/explaining-run-pass-option-rpo-nfl/

Interestingly from the article:

"Perhaps the biggest reason the NFL has been so slow to incorporate RPOs in their playbooks is because of the challenges it poses for the offensive line. A proper RPO asks its linemen to play like it’s a run. This means rather than stepping back to pass-protect, they drive forward to run-block.

The only problem with this is if the QB decides to keep the ball and throw it downfield, he must do so before the linemen get more than 1-yard down field because if they do, it would constitute as an “ineligible player downfield” and warrant a penalty."

We saw a TD called back for this reason reason against the Bengals. A penalty on AC if I recall.

Archived