Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett

Patrick Miller

15 hours ago, Shive said:

Just to make sure I'm clear, you're saying that Luck was afraid of losing the starting QB job to Brissett?

https://nesn.com/2019/08/andrew-luck-reveals-why-he-once-was-resentful-of-jacoby-brissett/
You an administrator and you don’t know about this article? 
“Diligent, sharp, loves football,” Luck said of Brissett, per ESPN. “I hope I can continue to support him in different ways, so thankful for our friendship. On a personal note … coming back into the building, early last year, I was very jealous and resentful of this fun, happy dude that was in my spot as a quarterback on this team. I obviously did not have any confidence in myself, either.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Can't see any team coming after him as a starter. He's not a top 20 guy. And if you don't have a top 20 guy, you're trying to figure out how to get a top 20 guy.

He could certainly end up competing at some places due to injury, or as a bridge, but I just can't see any GM trying to sell JB as a franchise QB to a fan base. 

And I can't see any team giving up anything substantial for a trade right now.

I agree . IMO . he'll be signed as a back-up. He could start due to an injury but that's true for a lot of guys. People often talk about him being a "bridge QB." Yeah , he does work for that but how often do you see a team actually sign a QB like him to start for a year or 2 ? Most teams have a QB better than Brissett or are drafting high enough to draft a QB that would start maybe by mid-year. Brissett was really fortunate to collect over 20 mill for 2 years. Compare that to Tyrod Taylor's 2 year 11 mill deal with only 6.5 guaranteed . SD can just cut him next year with no cap hit.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

https://nesn.com/2019/08/andrew-luck-reveals-why-he-once-was-resentful-of-jacoby-brissett/
You an administrator and you don’t know about this article? 
“Diligent, sharp, loves football,” Luck said of Brissett, per ESPN. “I hope I can continue to support him in different ways, so thankful for our friendship. On a personal note … coming back into the building, early last year, I was very jealous and resentful of this fun, happy dude that was in my spot as a quarterback on this team. I obviously did not have any confidence in myself, either.

Then you should remember that Luck was talking about Brissetts positive energy and Love for the game, attributes that Luck would have Liked about him, and he said was jelous of it.
 Luck said he no longer had such an attitude because of all his injuries.
 And we saw him walk away from the game physically able to play, but not mentally.
His extended decision making time got him Maximum $$$$, he played That well!

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Can't see any team coming after him as a starter. He's not a top 20 guy. And if you don't have a top 20 guy, you're trying to figure out how to get a top 20 guy.

He could certainly end up competing at some places due to injury, or as a bridge, but I just can't see any GM trying to sell JB as a franchise QB to a fan base. 

And I can't see any team giving up anything substantial for a trade right now.

I think it's possible some team comes after him as a starter, but not long-term. More like as a caretaker/bridge QB towards a young QB they draft but don't expect to be ready right away. There are tons of examples of those happening almost every year. Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Mike Glennon, Sam Bradford, etc. Teams want to secure some level of competency at the position even if they don't think the guy is a long-term solution for them. 

I agree I don't think a team will give up assets for him though... they would just sign him in the off-season as a free agent most likely. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Then you should remember that Luck was talking about Brissetts positive energy and Love for the game, attributes that Luck would have Liked about him, and he said was jelous of it.
 Luck said he no longer had such an attitude because of all his injuries.
 And we saw him walk away from the game physically able to play, but not mentally.
His extended decision making time got him Maximum $$$$, he played That well!

No that’s no what he was alluding too. He didn’t have confidence in his ability to return from injury. He was worried if he didn’t return to form he would lose his job. That article what the article was about. No one wants to bring up the fact Luck messed up his own shoulder. Your reply make no sense. Also no one unless your African American wants to give JB the respect he deserves. I honestly believe that. If anyone quotes me, reply with something negative I know where you stand.

4 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I agree with most of you wanting to trade JB to the Cowboys and get something before the value comes down...After the Monday night debacle, I think JB might be a hot commodity for the Cowboys right now, b/c I don't think A. Dalton is the answer.... 

Cowboys had an issue at QB even with Dak. His isn’t accurate at all. Dallas has a defensive issue. They have the inability to stop teams. Monday night was more about Zelle turning the football over than with Dalton. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Also we forget how JB got us starting last season at 5-2. It wasn’t until the injury in PGH the numbers dropped. He also finish the season on a bad knee. 

i think his good start was more the exception than the rule.  He's very limited as a QB.   His flaws are the same as they were in college.  I think this pre-draft write up still applies today:

While Brissett has the ability to extend plays with either athleticism or his pure strength, he needs to improve his willingness to climb the pocket, rather than escape out the back door. He passed up chances to do this during the 2014 and 2015 seasons, and perhaps missed out on big plays as a result, as his movement played right into the defenses’ hands.

His accuracy can dip at times, particularly when he is forced to try and reset to throw to a second or third receiver in his progression structure. There are occasions where he leaves himself with too wide a base, and then his release point is off causing the pass to fail to arrive at the desired location.

Brissett can make full-field reads, and there are countless examples of him getting to his third or fourth, and even fifth, read on a given play. But it is a slow and deliberate process at times. This was good enough to compete in the ACC, but he must speed this up in the NFL. Another area that could greatly aid his transition would be the increased ability to deliver throws on time, and with better anticipation. Brissett right now is more of a “see it, throw it” type of passer, lacking the vision to throw receivers open. If he can add this ability to his repertoire, it would greatly improve his chances of reaching his ceiling in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

i think his good start was more the exception than the rule.  He's very limited as a QB.   His flaws are the same as they were in college.  I think this pre-draft write up still applies today:

While Brissett has the ability to extend plays with either athleticism or his pure strength, he needs to improve his willingness to climb the pocket, rather than escape out the back door. He passed up chances to do this during the 2014 and 2015 seasons, and perhaps missed out on big plays as a result, as his movement played right into the defenses’ hands.

His accuracy can dip at times, particularly when he is forced to try and reset to throw to a second or third receiver in his progression structure. There are occasions where he leaves himself with too wide a base, and then his release point is off causing the pass to fail to arrive at the desired location.

Brissett can make full-field reads, and there are countless examples of him getting to his third or fourth, and even fifth, read on a given play. But it is a slow and deliberate process at times. This was good enough to compete in the ACC, but he must speed this up in the NFL. Another area that could greatly aid his transition would be the increased ability to deliver throws on time, and with better anticipation. Brissett right now is more of a “see it, throw it” type of passer, lacking the vision to throw receivers open. If he can add this ability to his repertoire, it would greatly improve his chances of reaching his ceiling in the NFL.

Your flaws would be the same with limited action. How does one get better in those set of circumstances? I’m 2017 this team was built the way it is now. That was his “rookie” season with this team. He also got here week 1 and had to learn our playbook. I won’t fault him for that. 2019 people keep saying he had all preseason blah blah blah. He had this team at 5-2 until the leg injury. He just doesn’t get his credit. Honestly I believe we’d be 5-1 right now with him starting. Last season through 6 games he was 11TD and only 3INTS. Those numbers surpass Rivers this season. So I would like to know how this team with a much improved Defense is better off with Rivers as our QB? I personally believe it’s because he is African American. 
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/players/game-log/2019/1877247/jacoby-brissett/

2 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

If Bridgewater can find a starting job why not Brissett ?

No one can answer my question. Our roster is far better than it was last season. So why couldn’t JB lead this team? Number wise through 6 games had better numbers than any QB to led this team in the past 3 years. Don’t care if you gave me a crazy face. It’s because he’s African American. No one can tell me different. 

Lack of downfield throwing... Have to click the link, but oh how some of you have forgotten. Again it’s because he doesn’t fit the narrative. He is African American so some of you wouldn’t understand. He isn’t given the same opportunities. He was playing through an injury after week 9 of last years season. 

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

No one can answer my question. Our roster is far better than it was last season. So why couldn’t JB lead this team? Number wise through 6 games had better numbers than any QB to led this team in the past 3 years. Don’t care if you gave me a crazy face. It’s because he’s African American. No one can tell me different. 

The answer to your question lies within more questions that I will give to you.

1) Does Brissett lead us to victory after being 21 points down ?

2) Could Brissett make the TD throw to Pascal who was covered in the end zone, but Rivers threw him open by throwing to Pascals opposite shoulder away from the coverage ?

3) Does Brissett make the beautiful throw to Doyal over the outstretched fingertips of the cornerback into the end zone where only Doyal can pull it in?

Be honest.

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

I agree . IMO . he'll be signed as a back-up. He could start due to an injury but that's true for a lot of guys. People often talk about him being a "bridge QB." Yeah , he does work for that but how often do you see a team actually sign a QB like him to start for a year or 2 ? Most teams have a QB better than Brissett or are drafting high enough to draft a QB that would start maybe by mid-year. Brissett was really fortunate to collect over 20 mill for 2 years. Compare that to Tyrod Taylor's 2 year 11 mill deal with only 6.5 guaranteed . SD can just cut him next year with no cap hit.

I wasn't really a fan of JB's contract. Not sure the extension was needed at all. If he worked out, sure, pay him, but no need to raise and extend in the circumstance. I know folks say the money is no big deal, but those $ at best could have been tagged to another high quality starter, or at worst, carry over for some of the large contracts that are coming up. Doesn't matter now I guess. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but there will likely be a QB glut again after this season. 

12 hours ago, stitches said:

I think it's possible some team comes after him as a starter, but not long-term. More like as a caretaker/bridge QB towards a young QB they draft but don't expect to be ready right away. There are tons of examples of those happening almost every year. Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Mike Glennon, Sam Bradford, etc. Teams want to secure some level of competency at the position even if they don't think the guy is a long-term solution for them. 

I agree I don't think a team will give up assets for him though... they would just sign him in the off-season as a free agent most likely. 

There's likely to be some good bridge guys available this off season, so JB will have some competition even in that space. Some really good FAs, and also several likely available for trade. I wish JB well whatever happens. Happy to have him back as a backup too, just at a reasonable price.

16 hours ago, a06cc said:

Your flaws would be the same with limited action. How does one get better in those set of circumstances? I’m 2017 this team was built the way it is now. That was his “rookie” season with this team. He also got here week 1 and had to learn our playbook. I won’t fault him for that. 2019 people keep saying he had all preseason blah blah blah. He had this team at 5-2 until the leg injury. He just doesn’t get his credit. Honestly I believe we’d be 5-1 right now with him starting. Last season through 6 games he was 11TD and only 3INTS. Those numbers surpass Rivers this season. So I would like to know how this team with a much improved Defense is better off with Rivers as our QB? I personally believe it’s because he is African American. 
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/players/game-log/2019/1877247/jacoby-brissett/

Brissett was given every opportunity to prove himself to the coaches and GM and he failed.  He's a good back up QB and that is where he is at.  He had 2 seasons and was given a huge pay check.   He is an average starter at best.  

Bringing race into this discussion is stupid.   

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Brissett was given every opportunity to prove himself to the coaches and GM and he failed.  He's a good back up QB and that is where he is at.  He had 2 seasons and was given a huge pay check.   He is an average starter at best.  

Bringing race into this discussion is stupid.   

Yup. Has zero to do with race, and everything to do with his ability to read, progress, etc.. Good guy and all, just not very good. Wasn't really that good in college either. He's likely better off in another scheme to be honest where there is less focus on reads and progressions. Chud's O was probably better suited for him as it's more throw-to-spot, than read, progress, and make a bunch of decisions. But to bring race into the discussion is silly given most of the top QBs in the league (Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, etc.). Nobody cares about that.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Has zero to do with race, and everything to do with his ability to read, progress, etc.. Good guy and all, just not very good. Wasn't really that good in college either. He's likely better off in another scheme to be honest where there is less focus on reads and progressions. Chud's O was probably better suited for him as it's more throw-to-spot, than read, progress, and make a bunch of decisions. But to bring race into the discussion is silly given most of the top QBs in the league (Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, etc.). Nobody cares about that.

Exactly.   Winning is #1 and it doesn't matter if the best player is black, white Asian or purple.  Bringing race into this is a last ditch desperation try.   

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

Exactly.   Winning is #1 and it doesn't matter if the best player is black, white Asian or purple.  Bringing race into this is a last ditch desperation try.   

I'd really love a blue QB!!!

I give zero sheets about color. I want another SB. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wasn't really a fan of JB's contract. Not sure the extension was needed at all. If he worked out, sure, pay him, but no need to raise and extend in the circumstance. I know folks say the money is no big deal, but those $ at best could have been tagged to another high quality starter, or at worst, carry over for some of the large contracts that are coming up. Doesn't matter now I guess. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but there will likely be a QB glut again after this season. 

All that contract could have done was "protect" the Colts in 2020  in the "event " JB turned out to be a star in 2019. Really was a pretty dumb deal by the Colts. Odds are Brissett was going to turn out to be Brissett and all it could really accomplish is saving them probably 3-4 mill in 2020 if indeed JB was the real deal. The money was not insignificant. At the very least , it could have been used in the extension we just did for Kelly . The result would be more cap room going forward.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

All that contract could have done was "protect" the Colts in 2020  in the "event " JB turned out to be a star in 2019. Really was a pretty dumb deal by the Colts. Odds are Brissett was going to turn out to be Brissett and all it could really accomplish is saving them probably 3-4 mill in 2020 if indeed JB was the real deal. The money was not insignificant. At the very least , it could have been used in the extension we just did for Kelly . The result would be more cap room going forward.

IMO it was more "nice guy" stuff, than shrewd or good decision making. 

Oh well. Spilt milk.

11 hours ago, a06cc said:

You already said no one can tell you different, which means you won't listen to anyone else, but I'm going to say this anyway.

This is really dumb. 

It's true that black QBs get pigeon holed, sometimes get judged by different criteria (on and off the field), they might have fewer opportunities, get less second chances, and so on. 

But Jacoby Brissett was replaced as the Colts starter because the Colts saw very clearly that he wasn't good enough to be the starting QB for a team with championship aspirations. Not because he's black.

JB had a couple above average games last year, but was mostly average or worse. Even when the team was 5-2 before his knee injury, JB was having unimpressive games, and there were obvious issues with his play. Many wouldn't listen, but several people highlighted his problems (including me), and those problems got worse and worse as the season went on. It got to the point that the coaches changed the play calling and basically started taking the ball out of his hands. 

Then, despite the fact that they had just paid him more money than they needed to, they told him 'we're going in a different direction' and spent even more money on his replacement. It's not because he's black. It's because he didn't play well enough to rely on him as the starter. Same as white, ultra-Christian poster boy Tim Tebow was replaced in Denver, and only attempted 8 more passes in the NFL. JB is better than Tebow, but he's also started more games than Tebow, and has made more money.

(To the bolded, JB was the starter two of the last three seasons. The other season is the one in which Luck came back after shoulder surgery and a missed year, and started out slowly. Not really a fair representation of his ability as a QB.)

JB could lead this team, probably to 8 or 9 wins. That's not good enough. He doesn't make plays, he's not good at delivering the ball down the field (despite throwing a nice looking ball), his accuracy is inconsistent to all levels of the field, he doesn't go through his progressions fast enough to keep the offense on schedule (which is why dumpoff passes tended to gain little yardage), he takes too many sacks, etc. His limitations as an NFL QB are glaring and obvious. And a team that wants to compete for a championship can't have a QB like JB as their starter. Because he's not good enough.

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO it was more "nice guy" stuff, than shrewd or good decision making. 

Oh well. Spilt milk.

Agree with it was probably more the issue of wanting JB to be paid starter money. As a business decision , it just didn't make a whole lot of sense .

And one more thing about this whole 'he's black' thing...

The NFL is burning through young QBs left and right. Most of them are white. Sam Darnold and Mitchell Trubisky are probably done after three seasons. Trubisky got benched and his team hadn't lost a game yet. Josh Rosen was done before he even got started. Drew Lock is probably gonna be done. These are guys drafted in the first round (Lock in the second) who are gonna get blown out within three seasons, and because so many young QBs are coming in, they might not get second chances as starters. 

NFL teams might evaluate and treat black QBs differently at times, same for the media. But if a guy plays well, his team does whatever they can to support him. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just like paying Andrew all the money when he left lol. Not a biggie. Moving on.

Not recouping money from Luck allows them to keep his rights. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not recouping money from Luck allows them to keep his rights. 

Yep. That's a lot of $ though for such a long shot. We shall see I guess. I'd love for him to come back, but I'd also be skeptical of his love for the game if he did. I'd just be waiting for him to leave again.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yep. That's a lot of $ though for such a long shot. We shall see I guess. I'd love for him to come back, but I'd also be skeptical of his love for the game if he did. I'd just be waiting for him to leave again.

I personally don't care if he loves the game or not.  He can friggin sling it.

That love of the game stuff is not real to me.  If he came back, it would be for one of two reasons.  1.  he loves the game  2. He wants the money

Either of these reasons should yield good football.

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I personally don't care if he loves the game or not.  He can friggin sling it.

That love of the game stuff is not real to me.  If he came back, it would be for one of two reasons.  1.  he loves the game  2. He wants the money

Either of these reasons should yield good football.

He doesn't need the money. He talked about it not being fun anymore due to injury/rehab. When it's not fun, or when you don't love it, it's hard to work hard at something. And if money isn't a motivator either, there's just not a lot left... 

If he came back because he felt football was fun again, what happens the next time he gets hurt, or has to rehab. That's my point. 

Brissett actually had us at the same record last year, so Rivers hasn't really been an improvement unless he can avoid the second half falloff that happened to Brissett.  Quite frankly, I'm on board with the idea of giving Brissett some chances if Rivers keeps turning the ball over this much.   But that should come as a surprise to exactly 0 people.

I'm just thinking that come playoff time the good teams are REALLY gonna punish us if Rivers is still throwing up 50 50 balls.  There's a reason this guy has never taken a team to the promised land and that reason begins with "turn" and ends with "overs."

I wouldn't want to face any of the Ravens Chiefs or 49ers with Rivers under center right now because you can't give these teams the extra possessions Rivers *will* give them and expect to win. 

The best way to beat those teams is the way we did it with Brissett  against KC, last year, protect the ball, control the time of possession pressure the star QB and limit turnovers.  Do any of you actually think that Rivers is the best guy to play that style?

I'd actually rather trust Brissett to Blake Bortles his way into a deep run rather than turning the ball over to a guy who hasn't been dep since 2005.  Even given Brissett's limited throwing ability the ability to control the turnover game still gives him an advantage.

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett actually had us at the same record last year, so Rivers hasn't really been an improvement unless he can avoid the second half falloff that happened to Brissett.  Quite frankly, I'm on board with the idea of giving Brissett some chances if Rivers keeps turning the ball over this much.   But that should come as a surprise to exactly 0 people.

I'm just thinking that come playoff time the good teams are REALLY gonna punish us if Rivers is still throwing up 50 50 balls.  There's a reason this guy has never taken a team to the promised land and that reason begins with "turn" and ends with "overs."

I wouldn't want to face any of the Ravens Chiefs or 49ers with Rivers under center right now because you can't give these teams the extra possessions Rivers *will* give them and expect to win. 

The best way to beat those teams is the way we did it with Brissett  against KC, last year, protect the ball, control the time of possession pressure the star QB and limit turnovers.  Do any of you actually think that Rivers is the best guy to play that style?

I'd actually rather trust Brissett to Blake Bortles his way into a deep run rather than turning the ball over to a guy who hasn't been dep since 2005.  Even given Brissett's limited throwing ability the ability to control the turnover game still gives him an advantage.

brissett did absolutely nothing in the KC game but throw a pick in the first half.  he threw lfor 27 yds in the 2nd half.   He looked like an 80s HS power I QB.  Just turn around and hand it or pitch it.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Uh huh.

I figured you would get a kick out of that so I posted it. We won but everyone gets it was a team effort in reality. QB's always get credit for wins though no matter how they play. Big Ben was garbage in SB 40 but Pitt fans thought he walked on water that day, why - because he won. He is a 2-time SB winner, that is all people remember not the fact you or I could've played better that day lmao 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Big Ben was garbage in SB 40 but Pitt fans thought he walked on water that day, why - because he won.

Not really, everyone knew he was bad in the game, but after several seasons of falling short and finally getting a ring for Cowher, no one cared. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think he's ever coming back. But by keeping his rights, you keep the option open. You can also trade him with three years left on his contract. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think he's ever coming back. But by keeping his rights, you keep the option open. You can also trade him with three years left on his contract. 

I think a rules change is needed lol... 

IMO, you shouldn't have to pay any unrealized contract $ to retain rights, and you shouldn't lose the rights to any player retiring mid contract. The money should have returned, and if he ever decides to come back, the Colts should have first option to reinstate the contract. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think a rules change is needed lol... 

IMO, you shouldn't have to pay any unrealized contract $ to retain rights, and you shouldn't lose the rights to any player retiring mid contract. The money should have returned, and if he ever decides to come back, the Colts should have first option to reinstate the contract. 

It's the already paid signing bonus that was the issue. If you want a player to give money back, I don't think you should be able to keep their rights into perpetuity.

But the pending bonus was a different story, and I don't know what the rules were on that one. Uncharted territory, as far as I know.

Archived