Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Position needs, trade deadline targets.

WR

The Big Names 

Julio Jones - The Falcons need a major roster reset. They just fired their head coach, and they'll be picking in the top 10 which means they're going to start shipping out some of their veteran players. The problem is, his price tag will be too high, he's owed $61.5 million through 2023. This is a hard pass for me because of the price tag. 

JuJu Smith Schuster - With the emergence of Chase Claypool (Yeah I know, Colts fans wanted Ballard to draft him), JuJu has found himself not getting involved with the offense. He's in the last year of his contract and most likely not heading back to Pittsburgh. This is the Steelers Mo, they have great all pro pro bowl players, let them walk, and replace them with more solid players. Another WR is going to demand a 1st round pick. Giving up a 1st for a guy in the last year of his deal is a big no no for me. Hard pass. 

The second third tier WRs

Michael Gallup - Currently the 3rd receiver on the Cowboys. He is an interesting name for me. Had 1107 yards and 6 touchdowns last season but not heavily involved in their offense this season. Just 24 years of age, and I think he is still scratching the surface if he gets more involved in an offense. 

John Ross - This is a big no from me. Not because of the talent, because he can't stay on the field. 20 career games in 4 seasons is a reason to stay away from him. 

DE/OLB 

Ryan Kerrigan -This guy stays on the field. I don't think he's missed a game in his career. He would give us much needed pass rush help and this team needs it. I know Turay is coming back, but he's coming back off a major injury and Kerrigan can provide DE depth. 

Carlos Dunlap - Another guy who doesn't miss games and stays on the field. He can provide DE depth and still can get to the Quarterback. 

Marcus Davenport - It hasn't worked out in New Orleans with this guy but a change a scenery could help. He is more of a career rejuvenation project than an established pass rusher like Kerrigan and Dunlap. This one has Patriots written all over it. Pass! 

Julio - Would love to have him...but I just don't see Ballard going for it. Julio is in the discussion for GOAT...but he's older now and has constant injury issues.

JuJu - I can't imagine PIT trading JuJu during the season...especially since they appear to be a Super Bowl contender...and this could be Big Ben's last best chance. But I bet they don't re-sign him...which is an interesting discussion for this offseason. 

On a side note...PIT's strategy in regards to the WR position is exactly what I have been ranting about for the past few years. Colts should be drafting a WR prospect in rounds 2-4 every year...with the occasional TE mixed in as well...a constant flow of high-end WR talent. So I hope the Colts do it again this offseason...even if they make another move.

Gallup - This is a bit different. DAL appears to be going nowhere...especially with Dak out. The need to keep a talented third WR is not really there anymore...especially when Dalton is having trouble using the other two top-end WRs he has. I think Gallup will definitely be available. And he's definitely worth a 2nd round pick to whatever team gets him. 

John Ross - No thanks. His speed is tantalizing...but Marcus Johnson seems to be capable of doing that. I could see Ross utilized in the Campbell gadget role...but I don't see Ballard bringing him in.

Kerrigan and Dunlap - Could be good veteran depth. Turay will be back soon...but it doesn't hurt to have that DL depth. Given their salaries...they won't require anything more than a late round pick. I guess it would come down to whether Ballard cares about taking on the prorated amount of their salaries.

Davenport - Now this would be an interesting proposition. He's young and had some success last year. I don't see them trading him in-season...but as an offseason target...I could get onboard.

Overall, I do hope Ballard is kicking the tires...especially at the WR position. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

JuJu - I can't imagine PIT trading JuJu during the season...especially since they appear to be a Super Bowl contender...and this could be Big Ben's last best chance. But I bet they don't re-sign him...which is an interesting discussion for this offseason. 

On a side note...PIT's strategy in regards to the WR position is exactly what I have been ranting about for the past few years. Colts should be drafting a WR prospect in rounds 2-4 every year...with the occasional TE mixed in as well...a constant flow of high-end WR talent. So I hope the Colts do it again this offseason...even if they make another move.

Kerrigan and Dunlap - Could be good veteran depth. Turay will be back soon...but it doesn't hurt to have that DL depth. Given their salaries...they won't require anything more than a late round pick. I guess it would come down to whether Ballard cares about taking on the prorated amount of their salaries.

Overall, I do hope Ballard is kicking the tires...especially at the WR position. 

Good discussion btw!!!

JuJu could be had for a 4th or 5th rounder. Steelers have Claypool, Diontae Johnson, James Washington and Eric Ebron for their pass catching options. Another guy lost in the shuffle is Curtis Samuel. With Robby Anderson emerging and D.J.Moore also being featured, the Panthers' passing attack is not varied enough to accommodate Curtis Samuel, especially once CMC comes back. I would kick the tires on that for a 5th or 6th rounder, IMO. 

Titans - once Corey Davis comes back, A J Brown, Humphries and the TEs are the other pass catching options, not sure if the Titans want to trade Corey Davis to a division rival. Jaguars - Chark, Shenault, Cole, Westbrook - Westbrook is a guy with speed we could use, IMO. Again, division rival factor.

JuJu, Corey Davis, Westbrook and Curtis Samuel would be my quality depth options. Westbrook and Curtis Samuel would both add pure speed to our WR corps to be honest, something only Parris can provide at this point. Corey Davis and JuJu would provide more size than speed, IMO.

Defensively - I would love to have Carlos Dunlap rotating at our DE position, would really make it deep once Turay comes back and QBs won't have all the time in the world plus Dunlap's long arms can deflect passes and he's played a long time in the 4-3.

Two trade rumors being floated is the Colts looking at Darnold from the Jets and Julio Jones from Atlanta. Darnold is interesting if we assume that Rivers is 1 and done here. He's still on a rookie contract next year and he does have talent. Jones is good, but the Falcons will want at least a #1 for him, too rich for me.

The ones I’m interested in are John Ross and Sam Darnold.  Ballard doesn’t see Mike he wants to go out and draft a 1st round QB, so this would be a better alternative since you’re not going to be in position to draft a top QB if you wanted to. You get Darnold in now and he gets time to learn the system for next year. He doesn’t need to play unless Rivers really wets the bed.

Ross I like because he could provide what Hilton can no longer provide for us.

No way I'd sign Darnold to anything long term.

Not sure I'd even want to take a shot on him at all. Never was a big fan to start with, and on top of that, not sure he's not been "ruined" in NJ. Wouldn't mind a 2 year friendly deal, but with no expectation of him starting.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fitzmagic. Not that I want him or anything. I find the timing of Miami's switch to be interesting. Fitz has actually played pretty well. They've lost to some decent teams, but creamed the 49ers. I think it's silly to put Tua in this early when Miami's OL is still pretty bad. If he gets injured, someone will get fired lol. 

I'm still looking at potential TE deals. I don't know who will be available but lets say the Rams lose another game or two before the deadline. I'd make an offer for Gerald Everett... nothing too big ... like... 4th or 5th for him, but yeah... I still think we need to improve that position group. Kick the tires on David Njoku too... 

From the big time receivers... I'm kind of scared to give something big for any of them. I wonder what the Bengals would need for AJ Green? Would a 4th be enough? I'd give up a 4th for him and I'll be looking to possibly recoup it via compensatory pick next year. 

Gallup is interesting as a long-term piece but I'm not sure he will be available and if available it feels like the cost would be too high... 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That would mean being aggressive in free agency or double dipping into the WR heavy draft like the Raiders did along with an OT.

Or not, probably another WR in the 3rd or 4th round and drafting a OT, CB, pass rusher or QB in the first two rounds. 

Honestly I feel good about our WR position going into 2021

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Am I the only one who wants to make no trades and keep our draft picks?

I don't mind us staying pat. I kind of prefer it too. I don't think we are close enough to get all in so I, too, believe it's probably better to keep the powder dry and keep building a strong roster for the long-term rather than for this season. My suggestions above were more along the lines of cheaper later round trades that we might be able to recoup if we let the player go in the off-season. But yeah... until we have our QB of the future(or we are really close to being legitimate contender) there should be zero consideration for us giving up premier draft assets for win now pieces IMO. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm still looking at potential TE deals. I don't know who will be available but lets say the Rams lose another game or two before the deadline. I'd make an offer for Gerald Everett... nothing too big ... like... 4th or 5th for him, but yeah... I still think we need to improve that position group. Kick the tires on David Njoku too... 

From the big time receivers... I'm kind of scared to give something big for any of them. I wonder what the Bengals would need for AJ Green? Would a 4th be enough? I'd give up a 4th for him and I'll be looking to possibly recoup it via compensatory pick next year. 

Gallup is interesting as a long-term piece but I'm not sure he will be available and if available it feels like the cost would be too high... 

Yep...there are a few TEs out there that would be of interest to me. I am probably in the minority...but unless MAC starts getting targets again...I find the current group underwhelming. But mostly...I have little faith that they will all stay healthy...as all three have missed games this year.

Not to mention that MAC is really the only dynamic TE on the roster...if we are talking about being a downfield threat. Burton and Doyle are just guys you dump off to...MAC actually stretches the field.

Would also be nice to have a younger TE on the roster...who can be here next year. Doyle is nearing the end of the road...you can just see it.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't mind us staying pat. I kind of prefer it too. I don't think we are close enough to get all in so I, too, believe it's probably better to keep the powder dry and keep building a strong roster for the long-term rather than for this season. My suggestions above were more along the lines of cheaper later round trades that we might be able to recoup if we let the player go in the off-season. But yeah... until we have our QB of the future(or we are really close to being legitimate contender) there should be zero consideration for us giving up premier draft assets for win now pieces IMO. 

I would give up a 3rd round pick in the right context. Probably not a 2nd round though...unless it was for Darnold or a good young player with 2-3 years left on his rookie deal. I just assume that 1st round picks are off the table.

What I hope happens is that there are bad teams selling off players now for cheap...because this offseason is going to be flush with teams trying to offload players...and the market won't be there for even later round picks. It's better to get a late round pick (and save some cash) now than play out the string in a bad season...and then have to cut that player in the offseason. Plus, it frees up snaps for young player to develop.

This is the mindset I would hope the bad teams are having.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

To each their own of course...but I think trades are fun...and a great way to get talent you wouldn't otherwise get. And in-season...that could be huge.

Yeah trades are fun but I think a trade this year would only hurt the team in the long run. We aren’t in a win at all cost mode and frankly the future of the QB position is questionable, which means we need all the draft capital we can get to make possible moves. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah trades are fun but I think a trade this year would only hurt the team in the long run. We aren’t in a win at all cost mode and frankly the future of the QB position is questionable, which means we need all the draft capital we can get to make possible moves. 

I actually think we are in a win at all cost mode.  That's why we signed Rivers for 25M and traded for Buckner.  I think the organization viewed them both as the missing pieces to a championship.  I think it is very likely we will make a move at the trade deadline.  Ballard regretted not making a move last year.  This year I think he will put a lot of lines in the water and this time he will reel one in.  

If you have faith in our offensive coaching staff and Frank Reich, you make a trade for Sam Darnold. Something like offering a 3rd for him.

Similar deal to what Tennessee did for Tannehill. 

Darnold has plenty of talent, could just need a change in scenery, with a competent coaching staff and offensive players around him. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

If you have faith in our offensive coaching staff and Frank Reich, you make a trade for Sam Darnold. Something like offering a 3rd for him.

Similar deal to what Tennessee did for Tannehill. 

Darnold has plenty of talent, could just need a change in scenery, with a competent coaching staff and offensive players around him. 

Its hard for me to believe the Jets will deal Darnold without securing the #1 pick. If a trade for Darnold is going to happen it will be in the offseason. 

I would 100% give a second round for Darnold, hell we have fleeced the Jets enough and possibly trading Brissett along with it. I still think he has every single tool to be a great QB in this league, his issue is #1 whose around him talent wise and #2 who is coaching him. It gets him out of a bad situation and keeps us set up to be contenders moving forward. He gets the time to learn our offense and team and then next year we roll with Darnold and Eason. I honestly see it as an absolute win for every party involved besides Brissett but even then he would only be there for a year.

I think its a move we need to make because otherwise we are in QB purgatory for the next several years. We have too good of a defense and to much talent to sit idly by without having an above average QB. 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

I would 100% give a second round for Darnold, hell we have fleeced the Jets enough and possibly trading Brissett along with it. I still think he has every single tool to be a great QB in this league, his issue is #1 whose around him talent wise and #2 who is coaching him. It gets him out of a bad situation and keeps us set up to be contenders moving forward. He gets the time to learn our offense and team and then next year we roll with Darnold and Eason. I honestly see it as an absolute win for every party involved besides Brissett but even then he would only be there for a year.

I think its a move we need to make because otherwise we are in QB purgatory for the next several years. We have too good of a defense and to much talent to sit idly by without having an above average QB. 

I watched that Thursday Night Game with the Jets and Broncos and Darnold look like he was about to have a career day against them before he hurt his shoulder. What stood out to me was his excellent mobility out of the pocket. Frank would turn this kid into an elite Quarterback. Hell throw in Becton in the trade as well (pipe dream). 

FWIW NFL .com's  Cynthia Freeland just did an interesting analysis on what certain players that they think might be available in a trade could do for a team's playoff chances.  She uses PFF statistics to frame her analysis.  She currently gives the Colts a 43% chance of making the Playoffs.  She concludes that if the Colts's traded for Giants WR Golden Tate that our chances would jump another 4%.  Her analysis suggests that any player that would increase your chances by 3-4% should be considered if you are a contender. 

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW NFL .com's  Cynthia Freeland just did an interesting analysis on what certain players that they think might be available in a trade could do for a team's playoff chances.  She uses PFF statistics to frame her analysis.  She currently gives the Colts a 43% chance of making the Playoffs.  She concludes that if the Colts's traded for Giants WR Golden Tate that our chances would jump another 4%.  Her analysis suggests that any player that would increase your chances by 3-4% should be considered if you are a contender. 

no thanks on tate id rather keep pick 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

no thanks on tate id rather keep pick 

I don't know about that.  It wouldn't be a high pick.  I remember a few years back when we signed veteran WR Dontrelle Inman mid season and I said to myself really?  And it turned out to be a great signing and he contributed significantly.  Tate would require a trade but his acquisition might have the same result and help us reach the playoffs and then anything can happen.  Sometimes acquiring a veteran can get you over the top.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don't know about that.  It wouldn't be a high pick.  I remember a few years back when we signed veteran WR Dontrelle Inman mid season and I said to myself really?  And it turned out to be a great signing and he contributed significantly.  Tate would require a trade but his acquisition might have the same result and help us reach the playoffs and then anything can happen.  Sometimes acquiring a veteran can get you over the top.  

He certainly wouldn't cost a lot. The most i would offer is 6

One thing for sure would not want to be in charge of Atlanta's payroll and abuse that club has done to themselves.  Atlanta is in a financial mess and I hear that are trying to shop DE T. McKinley. As a Colt I would defiantly like to see us make an offer for MLB Deion Jones.  Sure Jones will cost them another 4m of dead money but at least is frees up a little over 2m in savings which still leaves Atlanta in the red for ~23m next season.  Jones has been playing at such a high caliber for his position it would be an immediate impact upgrade over Walker.  The next best player from Atlanta would even consider would be  C Alex Mack who would help shave off more of Atlanta's cap woes.  Only issue with Mack is his age which might be tempting to add as Kelly's backup.  Given the injury history of Kelly it might not be such a bad idea to add Mack given our OL depth chart.  Mack would help Atlanta free up another ~5m in cap space.  Did I mention how terrible Atlanta has done at managing their roster...inconceivable

Archived