Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 - 2021 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suns advance...PG on vacation now.  Who would have thought the Finals would be Phoenix vs. MIL/ATL??

I think the Hawks advance since the Bucks are likely without Giannis in game 5, or maybe longer.  But, the Hawks stepped up without Young in game 4, so maybe the Bucks do the same in game 5.

Honestly, to me, it's nice to see some different teams advancing this far.  These 3 teams remaining get little or no national TV coverage during the regular season, so casual fans are seeing a lot of these players for the first time.  It's refreshing.

Carlisle hiring Lloyd Pierce and Ronald Nored as assistants. I think he hires at least one more, maybe more.

Nored is interesting as a young coach. Not sure what to think of Pierce. Obviously Carlisle must think highly of him though.

I saw Jarron Collins rumored to be under consideration but that seems unlikely with Pierce being hired as the top assistant.

19 hours ago, ar7 said:

Carlisle hiring Lloyd Pierce and Ronald Nored as assistants. I think he hires at least one more, maybe more.

Nored is interesting as a young coach. Not sure what to think of Pierce. Obviously Carlisle must think highly of him though.

I saw Jarron Collins rumored to be under consideration but that seems unlikely with Pierce being hired as the top assistant.

This is the first I've heard of the Pacers hiring Rick Carlisle.   Granted I don't pay too much attention to the NBA.   Seems like a good hire. 

On 7/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, MTC said:

Honestly, this would've been a win-win for both teams.

I heard the 76ers said this was never offered by the Pacers, but who knows.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, ar7 said:

Bucks vs Suns in the finals. Even though they are in the same division as the Pacers I would love to see the Bucks win it.

Agreed, but I'm just happy there's some new teams vying for the title for a change.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, MTC said:

Honestly, this would've been a win-win for both teams.

I agree.   Hopefully the Pacers make a trade to break this current roster up.   I heard some teams are still fairly high on Turner.   He's OK but his ceiling is limited.   He's good for 12 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks a game.  

• 2 weeks later...

Pacers formally announced Carlisle's coaching staff

Not sure if I've posted already about the Carlisle hiring?

Anyway, solid hire, doubt to many would disagree with that. Looking forward to the defense improving.

Pierce and Nored are solid additions.

Weinar has been with Carlisle since '08, and was a Billy Donovan Graduate Assistant at Florida.

https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/mike-weinar/

Boucek has been with Carlise since '18, and was the 3rd woman to coach in NBA(Hammond, Lieberman).

https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/jenny-boucek/

Seems to be a solid staff.

Looking forward to the offseason and I am getting anxious to see not only Pacers activity, but league wide player movement.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Myles said:

I agree.   Hopefully the Pacers make a trade to break this current roster up.   I heard some teams are still fairly high on Turner.   He's OK but his ceiling is limited.   He's good for 12 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks a game.  

I sure hope you are wrong.

Not sure why our new defensive minded coach would move on from the leading shot blocker in the league.(3.4/game in 20/21) Lead NBA 2 of last 3 seasons. That can space the floor to a career clip on par with the following:

Turner - 35%

36%ers:

Jamal Murray

James Harden

Gordan Hayward

Paul Pierce

Eric Gordon

Terrence Ross

Brandon Ingram

Kendrick Nunn

Does Turner have some deficiencies? Yes, offensive and defensive post. However the strengths of his game, well out way the weaknesses.

He would grab more rebounds if he wasn't spacing the floor on offense and having a top 5 rebounder in the league.

Ge would/could score more points a game if it was there. Bottomline is the offense has a lot of guys that put points on the board. He only averages 10 shots a game for his career. I've seen way to many games where he has had 8 or less shots. Should never happen. Offensively needs more opportunities.

I do agree a shake up is needed, although if Warren came back healthy I think the current roster could compete in the East.

Houston offered us Eric Gordon and #24/#25 for #13 and something? Not sure where the returning salary would come from?

Not to intriguing.

Congrats to the Milwaukee Bucks! World Champions! Nice seeing a small market team win an NBA Championship. Giannis' line = 50 Points, 14 Rebounds, and 5 Blocks. That is stuff legends are made of. He won Finals MVP, pretty cool. I didn't follow the NBA much this year like I usually do but I am happy for the Bucks. So much for CP3 winning a ring, when the Suns were up 2-0 that is all you heard on ESPN and on the radio that he will finally win his ring and become a top 5 PG of all-time. Didn't happen. Making the top 5 PG list for him was a stretch anyway when you have had guys like Magic, O.Robertson, Isiah, Steph, and Stockton. Who could you take off that top 5 anyway.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats to the Milwaukee Bucks! World Champions! Nice seeing a small market team win an NBA Championship. Giannis' line = 50 Points, 14 Rebounds, and 5 Blocks. That is stuff legends are made of. He won Finals MVP, pretty cool. I didn't follow the NBA much this year like I usually do but I am happy for the Bucks. So much for CP3 winning a ring, when the Suns were up 2-0 that is all you heard on ESPN and on the radio that he will finally win his ring and become a top 5 PG of all-time. Didn't happen. Making the top 5 PG list for him was a stretch anyway when you have had guys like Magic, O.Robertson, Isiah, Steph, and Stockton. Who could you take off that top 5 anyway.

I feel bad for CP3 probably his best and only shot. Unless he goes ring chasing. But Giannis really is a freak. Once they got past Nets I thought they were just too long for everybody else left.

Think about this.. All the flack team USA is getting for losing and not blowing teams out. Top 20 players in the NBA how many are foreign born? A team of starting team of Jokic/Embiid, Giannis, Doncic, Simmons, Murray would give US starting five some fits.. Giannis is on TOP of the NBA world as a foreign born player. That's crazy!

I don't really care anymore- it's a boring, game.

I suppose I'll pay attention to the playoffs as I did this year (sort of), but as far as my Pacer fandom is concerned, here's my macro take. They'll be the Shanghai Pacers long before they'll ever win a title in Indiana as the NBA is constructed currently. I can't believe we've watched the other Central teams all pull titles in the last few decades and the Pacers have been "the model of consistency", but it's really just been a time waster. I simply don't think it's even really possible for most of the NBA to win a title, beyond a series of fluky things happing that could even open a window as it just did for the Bucks, even though they've got a top 5 talent- it wouldn't have been enough if the Nets weren't busted up.

Pacers pick Chris Duarte out of Oregon at 13.

I hate this pick but I was prepared for it as J Michael has been reporting the Pacers would take Duarte or Corey Kispert if they keep the pick. I just want to see the Pacers be a legitimate threat to win the conference again. They just keep making moves that scream second round at best type of roster building. We know that barring injury it's unlikely the Pacers pick this high for awhile and to not walk away with someone with real upside is frustrating. Duarte is already 24 years old. I think too much can be made out of age sometimes but not in this case. To use a lottery pick, as a team in desperate need of better talent, on a guy without a ton of upside is disappointing. 

Also, I know what smoke KP is going to blow about how they got a ready to contribute player, etc. I hate this reasoning. In general you don't use the draft for that but you sure as heck don't use a lottery pick with this reasoning in mind. 

Pacers made a trade. They gave up their two second round picks and two future second round picks for the 31st pick. This went down right before or right as the draft was starting. It's puzzling that we would make this move when we did, imo. Seems like it's a deal you make during the draft when you know exactly who you can get there.

11 hours ago, ar7 said:

Pacers pick Chris Duarte out of Oregon at 13.

I hate this pick but I was prepared for it as J Michael has been reporting the Pacers would take Duarte or Corey Kispert if they keep the pick. I just want to see the Pacers be a legitimate threat to win the conference again. They just keep making moves that scream second round at best type of roster building. We know that barring injury it's unlikely the Pacers pick this high for awhile and to not walk away with someone with real upside is frustrating. Duarte is already 24 years old. I think too much can be made out of age sometimes but not in this case. To use a lottery pick, as a team in desperate need of better talent, on a guy without a ton of upside is disappointing. 

Also, I know what smoke KP is going to blow about how they got a ready to contribute player, etc. I hate this reasoning. In general you don't use the draft for that but you sure as heck don't use a lottery pick with this reasoning in mind. 

Pacers made a trade. They gave up their two second round picks and two future second round picks for the 31st pick. This went down right before or right as the draft was starting. It's puzzling that we would make this move when we did, imo. Seems like it's a deal you make during the draft when you know exactly who you can get there.

I agree.   The potential is nearly reached when you are a 24 year old.   He'll be a good player but won't be a top star.   

I like giving up 2nd round picks to move up.  

• MTC locked this topic

Archived