Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 - 2021 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I don't have cable so I cant watch the games but I never miss listening to them on the radio. 

They are an exciting team and are 2nd in the conference. 

They get Warren back from injury later in the season and they will even be better. 

I did forget about Warren, he is solid good as well.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great deal for us. Oladipo didn't want to be here and was expiring.   LeVert signed for next 3 seasons at a great rate.

Same   It seems to be sports entertainment along the lines of WWE.   Have little faith for the integrity of the NBA. I would trade Oladipo for Hayward for sure.

May as well kick off a new thread since we are officially in the offseason.   And we have a new coach!    

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They have good players but I wouldn't say great as in Superstars. Oladipo's 1st season here he was basically a Superstar, PG was too from 2012-2014 and both got traded. Sabonis is probably our best player but isn't a Superstar, I would say an all-star though. Brogdan and Turner both are solid good. Like you said we have a nice team but not that 1 guy that can put us over the top IMO.

Yes Brogdon and Sabonis are considered super stars according to NBA.com. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes Brogdon and Sabonis are considered super stars according to NBA.com. 

When I look at Superstars, I look at guys like LeBron, A. Davis, K Durant, J Harden, J Embiid, K Leonard, Luka, and PG is playing like one now in LA. There is a difference between Superstars and being an all-star as you know.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I look at Superstars, I look at guys like LeBron, A. Davis, K Durant, J Harden, J Embiid, K Leonard, Luka, and PG is playing like one now in LA. There is a difference between Superstars and being an all-star as you know.

I forgot the guy from Milwaukee as well = Giannis who is the MVP.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brogdon is rated the 8th best player in the NBA

Sabonis is 4th in the league in rebounds and is in the top 5 in triple doubles and double doubles

Turner leads the league in block shots more than double anyone else. 

I think because they are in a small market most want to overlook them but you can bet the other teams are not.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brogdon is rated the 8th best player in the NBA

Sabonis is 4th in the league in rebounds and is in the top 5 in triple doubles and double doubles

Turner leads the league in block shots more than double anyone else. 

I think because they are in a small market most want to overlook them but you can bet the other teams are not.

Good points, they are all good players if not very good. I really haven't watched many games this year but keep an eye on it and see if we win or lose. Like you, I love our radio team. Boyle IMO has been the best in business for a long time. I am not sure what the ceiling is for our team? I know the Nets are loaded, Bucks, Sixers, and Celtics are pretty solid as well. We are in that mix I guess if our chemistry clicks when Warren comes back. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points, they are all good players if not very good. I really haven't watched many games this year but keep an eye on it and see if we win or lose. Like you, I love our radio team. Boyle IMO has been the best in business for a long time. I am not sure what the ceiling is for our team? I know the Nets are loaded, Bucks, Sixers, and Celtics are pretty solid as well. We are in that mix I guess if our chemistry clicks when Warren comes back. 

Lamb getting back will help and when LaVert gets back on the court he will be a great player. 

Things are really looking upside for the Pacers.

• Like 2

I meant to post this on this on 26th but it has been 1 year since the great Kobe Bryant passed away. IMO he is a top 5 player that I have ever seen, I have Jordan, Magic, Kareem, and maybe LeBron ahead of him after that tough to call. Players like Shaq, Bird, and Duncan were special as well.

Anyway this is for Kobe Los Angeles Lakers Basketball GIFKobe Bryant Nba GIFKobe Bryant GIF by Product Hunt

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I meant to post this on this on 26th but it has been 1 year since the great Kobe Bryant passed away. IMO he is a top 5 player that I have ever seen, I have Jordan, Magic, Kareem, and maybe LeBron ahead of him after that tough to call. Players like Shaq, Bird, and Duncan were special as well.

Anyway this is for Kobe Los Angeles Lakers Basketball GIFKobe Bryant Nba GIFKobe Bryant GIF by Product Hunt

Los Angeles Lakers Hello GIF by NBA

Will Kobe Bryant GIF

You know what is ironic about the last GIF?

The memory of Kobe will never fade away.

Don't forget about Gigi though.

Regular Season Smile GIF by NBA

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, w87r said:

Los Angeles Lakers Hello GIF by NBA

Will Kobe Bryant GIF

You know what is ironic about the last GIF?

The memory of Kobe will never fade away.

Don't forget about Gigi though.

Regular Season Smile GIF by NBA

The fade away, he perfected it and got it from Jordan, unstoppable. Yeah RIP Gigi too, she was only 13 and was next greatest of all-time in the WNBA.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The fade away, he perfected it and got it from Jordan, unstoppable. Yeah RIP Gigi too, she was only 13 and was next greatest of all-time in the WNBA.

michael jordan basketball GIF

• Thanks 1
On 1/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here.   I suppose the definition can be different for people.  

For me, a "superstar" would need to be a player that you would not consider trading.  If the Pacers could trade Sabonis or Turner for Leonard or A. Davis, I would do that in a heartbeat.  

• Like 1

Pacers are hanging in there.

For being down 2 players(Warren and LaVert/VO).

Observation, it seems like the Pacers play better when Myles is more part of offensive game plan. The games where Brogdon and Sabonis take the majority of 1st team shots, we seem to struggle a little more. Need more plays called for Myles in the 2 man game.

Saying that, I'm glad we didn't move him this offseason as was reported possibility.

Still leading league in block shots as well.

Under rated guy no one is talking about. Well, no one is talking about anyone here. :funny:

TJ McConnell

He is avg 5pts, 7asts, 3rebs 1.8stls(.1 stls being league leader) in 23 minutes a game

Another is Doug, he has been playing great.

Avg 13pts 4rbs in 26 min a game

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I understand them listening, but hope they don't deal either one of these two guys.  We've had a disappointing season, but have also had injuries.  We have everyone back, except Warren, so I'd like to see how we do with a healthy line up and bench before we start another re-build.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe the Pacers will use Slicks passing as a rallying cry and get back in the playoff hunt.   Not sure if I'd rather take that or get a lottery draft spot.   We'll see how they play going forward.

I haven't posted on this thread in a long while. 1st off my condolences to Slick's family, RIP Coach. He is one of the all-time faces of Indiana Pacers basketball, coached the Pacers to 3 ABA championships and was a great sidekick for years to Mark Boyle on the radio doing games. He will be missed.

Regarding the team here in 2021, we aren't going anywhere unfortunately. Sabonis and Brogdon are all-star type players but not superstars and outside of that this team is average. We gave up on the season when we traded Oladipo. Oladipo even recently came out and said he wanted to stay a Pacer. We all know in the end it will be the Lakers vs Nets in the Finals, those 2 teams have all the Superstar power. LeBron and AD will get healthy before the playoffs and the Nets are loaded.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe the Pacers will use Slicks passing as a rallying cry and get back in the playoff hunt.   Not sure if I'd rather take that or get a lottery draft spot.   We'll see how they play going forward.

I'm hoping they miss the playoffs. That's not because I think it's likely they get lucky with the lottery and get a higher pick but I think missing the playoffs increases the chance of some significant changes that are needed for this team to be relevant. 

Personally, i'm not high on this group at all and I don't think them being all healthy would change that. I think this team lacks an identity and and the type of chemistry needed for them to go deep in the postseason. I've really soured on Kevin Pritchard so i'm not optimistic in them making meaningful changes to this roster. 

Also, I think i've mentioned it before but i'll say it again...this franchise has to draft an all-star. It's pathetic as they haven't since Paul George. (over 10 YEARS ago) We know they are not going to sign stars via free agency so they need to draft one and be a good draft team in general. Yes, it requires some luck but every team that wins needs some luck. Their drafting has been bad for over a decade now. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I'm hoping they miss the playoffs. That's not because I think it's likely they get lucky with the lottery and get a higher pick but I think missing the playoffs increases the chance of some significant changes that are needed for this team to be relevant. 

Personally, i'm not high on this group at all and I don't think them being all healthy would change that. I think this team lacks an identity and and the type of chemistry needed for them to go deep in the postseason. I've really soured on Kevin Pritchard so i'm not optimistic in them making meaningful changes to this roster. 

Also, I think i've mentioned it before but i'll say it again...this franchise has to draft an all-star. It's pathetic as they haven't since Paul George. (over 10 YEARS ago) We know they are not going to sign stars via free agency so they need to draft one and be a good draft team in general. Yes, it requires some luck but every team that wins needs some luck. Their drafting has been bad for over a decade now. 

I have been a Pacers fan longer than I have been a Colts or Cubs fan. Colts and Cubs since 1984 but Pacers since the late 70's. My mom or dad used to take me to games when I was little. In watching this team for 40 years, 2 things are consistent with our franchise, 1. they won't spend any money to bring superstars in here/go over the Salary Cap, 2. Everytime we get a superstar they leave within a few years = George, Oladipo. We can't keep anyone that is that superstar level, that is a major problem. Outside of Reggie Miller no superstar sticks around. Reggie is the greatest Pacer ever, he was loyal and our 94, 95, 98, and 2000 teams were something to be proud of. No Championship but very solid teams and we were close.

• Like 2

This is not all the Pacers fault IMO.  For one, Indiana isn't a great destination for free agents to want to come to.  Miami, LA, NY and many other keep the Pacers out of the hunt in most cases.   Also, the Pacers have been run well and put a competitive team out there each year.  Good enough to make the playoffs (usually a 4-6 seed) which leads to a draft pick in the low 20's.   Hard to get a superstar there.  Last time they had a top 5 pick was in 1988 when they took Rik Smits.   

• Like 2

I think you guys are making are making good points. It's true it's hard to get and keep a star in Indiana. That's why I think we need to expect the Pacers to draft really well, among the best in the league. It's true that they are not likely to have a high pick but there are plenty of really good players that have been drafted in the teens and 20s over the years. 

I know the Pacers are not going to have a top 3 player to lead them but I think the 2013/2014 group, the Pistons during the 2000s, and Pacers of the 1990s are some examples of the type of teams that the Pacers should be trying to put together. Those teams didn't have a bunch of great individual players (though I'd say Reggie and Billups were, and PG was emerging as great) but collectively they played great. The chemistry those teams had was outstanding. The Pacers need some guys with a chip on their shoulder, who have been overlooked, and have the underdog mentality. 

It's not like PG ask out of town when the Pacers had a great team. They were not going anywhere and PG knew it. It will be difficult to keep a star, true, but before it comes to that I think the Pacers need to put together a team that a star will want to stay and play on. 

I know the odds are against the Pacers to win it all. I know the blueprint will be different for the Pacers than say the Lakers. I just think that there is a way for the Pacers to put together a really good team and they should try. They way they have been going about this isn't working.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ar7 said:

I think you guys are making are making good points. It's true it's hard to get and keep a star in Indiana. That's why I think we need to expect the Pacers to draft really well, among the best in the league. It's true that they are not likely to have a high pick but there are plenty of really good players that have been drafted in the teens and 20s over the years. 

I know the Pacers are not going to have a top 3 player to lead them but I think the 2013/2014 group, the Pistons during the 2000s, and Pacers of the 1990s are some examples of the type of teams that the Pacers should be trying to put together. Those teams didn't have a bunch of great individual players (though I'd say Reggie and Billups were, and PG was emerging as great) but collectively they played great. The chemistry those teams had was outstanding. The Pacers need some guys with a chip on their shoulder, who have been overlooked, and have the underdog mentality. 

It's not like PG ask out of town when the Pacers had a great team. They were not going anywhere and PG knew it. It will be difficult to keep a star, true, but before it comes to that I think the Pacers need to put together a team that a star will want to stay and play on. 

I know the odds are against the Pacers to win it all. I know the blueprint will be different for the Pacers than say the Lakers. I just think that there is a way for the Pacers to put together a really good team and they should try. They way they have been going about this isn't working.

PG had mentioned playing in LA a few times near the end.  The Pacers had to deal him.  Before he left the Pacers were doing pretty decent:

Finished the division:

2012 - 1st

2013 - 1st

2014 - 4th

2015 - 2nd

2016 - 3rd

Then after:

2017 - 2nd

2018 - 2nd

2019 - 2nd

Part of the problem now is going to be the "super teams"  great players gathering together on 1 team.  They mostly do this in Miami, both LA teams and other more desirable locations than Indiana.  

On 4/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, Myles said:

This is not all the Pacers fault IMO.  For one, Indiana isn't a great destination for free agents to want to come to.  Miami, LA, NY and many other keep the Pacers out of the hunt in most cases.   Also, the Pacers have been run well and put a competitive team out there each year.  Good enough to make the playoffs (usually a 4-6 seed) which leads to a draft pick in the low 20's.   Hard to get a superstar there.  Last time they had a top 5 pick was in 1988 when they took Rik Smits.   

33 years since they had a top 5 draft pick.   That is amazing.  I'm guessing that is the longest of any NBA team.  

I know, I quoted myself.  haha

• 2 weeks later...

What a weird season. I don't think it's fair to judge new Nate after practically the entire team has been injured all year. It's probably a miracle we do have 30 wins right now.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, RockThatBlue said:

What a weird season. I don't think it's fair to judge new Nate after practically the entire team has been injured all year. It's probably a miracle we do have 30 wins right now.

I think there is a lot of blame to go around for how this season has want. While I think new Nate deserves some criticism I do agree that this year as a whole isn't fair to judge him on. 

Are the Pacers going to keep blaming the coaches or is Pritchard and the players ever going to be accountable for anything? 

• Like 2

T.J Warren was a big loss and now has been officially ruled out for the season for sure. The problem with the Pacers they won't go over the Salary Cap to get any SuperStars. Even the Cleveland done it when they had LeBron. Sabonis has had a great season but I would not say he is a SuperStar, definitely an All-Star caliber player but there is a difference, same for Brogdon. We can never keep any of our SuperStars when we have been lucky enough they became one as in Paul George and Victor Oladipo. The days of Reggie Miller playing here for 18 seasons are over, sad really.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

T.J Warren was a big loss and now has been officially ruled out for the season for sure. The problem with the Pacers they won't go over the Salary Cap to get any SuperStars. Even the Cleveland done it when they had LeBron. Sabonis has had a great season but I would not say he is a SuperStar, definitely an All-Star caliber player but there is a difference, same for Brogdon. We can never keep any of our SuperStars when we have been lucky enough they became one as in Paul George and Victor Oladipo. The days of Reggie Miller playing here for 18 seasons are over, sad really.

That's how it will always be for Indiana and the other smaller market teams.  Every ten years or so a small market team will get lucky with a young super star and do well, until it's time for a new contract and they can't compete with the large market teams.  Plus, Indianapolis isn't as sexy and exciting as New York or LA.

• Like 2