Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacob Eason (Thread for all Information) ((MERGE))

Restinpeacesweetchloe

They are "Eas(o)n him into a starting role". Your guess is as good as mine.

If Rivers is not the answer, might as well have Eason play 1 year with a good backup not named Rivers or JB, and a drafted QB, and go from there. 

Let us talk in December, more answers will appear. Tua was just made the Dolphins starter and Fitzmagic is backup, perplexing move because the Dolphins were still in AFC East race.

He should get a year of this.......

"I’m just telling you, that is gold and he is getting that from Philip and Jacoby in ways that will be really significant to his growth."

He is such an inexperienced QB, throwing him out there for fans to drool over, might actually ruin the great start to his career he is having.....under two great QB leaders. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If Rivers is not the answer, might as well have Eason play 1 year with a good backup not named Rivers or JB, and a drafted QB, and go from there. 

Let us talk in December, more answers will appear. Tua was just made the Dolphins starter and Fitzmagic is backup, perplexing move because the Dolphins were still in AFC East race.

Yea Fitzpatrick  was doing good, but he normally  follows up with bad games

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If they start Eason next year, why not have Jacoby as the backup?   He’d be a great support to Eason.  That’s assuming JB is willing to come back as the backup...  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If they start Eason next year, why not have Jacoby as the backup?   He’d be a great support to Eason.  That’s assuming JB is willing to come back as the backup...  

Because JB has made it clear he wants to be a starter and get paid starter money. I highly doubt he will want to take the pay cut we would need him to to stay a backup

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That defiantly could be a possibility. Maybe they actually let them battle for the starting job.  

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Because JB has made it clear he wants to be a starter and get paid starter money. I highly doubt he will want to take the pay cut we would need him to to stay a backup

He isn’t getting a starting job anywhere. They could bring him back and say ok Eason and Brissett fo fight it out to be the starter. 

24 minutes ago, twfish said:

That may be JB’s wish, but do you see that happening next year?   Or any year?

I don’t.  

Look, if he wants a fresh start elsewhere, then he moves on.   But if he finds the market has dried up and isn’t there for him, and IF he’d be willing to come back as the backup, then I’d be happy to have him back. 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, that is the biggest question. With a rookie QB contract with Eason, they can afford to get the best backup possible. If that is the case, my first preference is to see what WFT would do with Alex Smith, they have an out at the end of 2021. I'd snag him in a heartbeat over JB for backup QB.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I'd like to be a starter too and make starter money..... Heck, I'd  like to be a backup and make the minimum. 

But guess what? It ain't going to happen. Not for me and a starting gig ain't going happen for him. Lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may be JB’s wish, but do you see that happening next year?   Or any year?

I don’t.  

Look, if he wants a fresh start elsewhere, then he moves on.   But if he finds the market has dried up and isn’t there for him, and IF he’d be willing to come back as the backup, then I’d be happy to have him back. 

I think one clue might be looking at the FA QB market this off-season.  It is pretty weak overall. So it might come down to what QB-needy teams do in the draft and whether or not they can get a guy they want to start right away.  If not, Jacoby might find himself in an advantageous situation.  But this off-season QB market is going to help his chances.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

jacoby wants to be a starter he said it already he will never accept a back up role unless he is forced to .   Chad kelly should back up eason next year

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

jacoby wants to be a starter he said it already he will never accept a back up role unless he is forced to .   Chad kelly should back up eason next year

Just because he wants to be a starter doesn’t mean a team will want him as a starter. If rivers doesn’t come back I imagine there is a good chance he comes back.

29 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I know Jacoby wants to be a starter.   He has said it many times.   That doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.   It might, but it might not as well.  50-50 might be very generous odds for JB.  

As for Chad Kelly, I’m not even sure he’s on an NFL roster right now?  The Colts let him go about a month ago and I’m not aware that any team has picked him up.   As for being a backup, if the Colts start Eason next year, typically an NFL team wants an experienced veteran to help groom the young player.  Kelly can’t do that.   He’s got no experience or wisdom to offer.   He could be our third string, but not the backup. 

Whether or not Jacoby wants to be a starter, which obviously he does football players are very competitive... what else could he say? No one is going to say they are content riding the pine. He will go to who ever pays him the most, regardless of being promised a starting role. 

If the colts pay him competitively I'm sure he would gladly enter a 2 way quarterback battle with Eason.

Just now, Superman said:

He's still available, three weeks after being released. 

teams do not want to take a chance on a project player with off field issues .  I still think he could be a good number 2 QB  i believe in second chances nothing kelly did is a serious crime or issue .   Frank said he has been working hard and had zero issues here , the colts did not wanna keep 4 QBs on the roster .  If rivers retires next year, and jacoby leaves though i see zero harm in bringing kelly back next year to compete for the back up QB spot

I'll go ahead and say it definitively.  Jacoby will not be on this team in 2021.

We will be in one of two scenarios:

They sign Rivers to a 2nd year and Eason is the backup, or

They bring in another QB and Eason and that QB duke it out for the starting job (like, say, Sam Darnold)

I think they're doing everything they can to put Eason in a position to succeed.  He's got the raw talent.  He just needs to learn to play at this level.  I think there will come a time where they tell him, "Go ahead, kid.  Let's see what you got."  I hope he is able to make the most of it.

Interesting. The way I see it though is Eason is competing against Sam Darnold, Philip Rivers 2020 performance, Jamie Newman, and Zack Wilson (BYU). Because for me, those are the most realistic starting QB options for the Colts in 2021. Will Rivers show enough to get another 1 year deal? Will Ballard pull the trigger for Sam Darnold knowing he might be able to get him for cheap? If Rivers is out, will Eason have shown enough for you to bypass drafting a QB in the draft that you might be able to get late in the 1st or early in the 2nd? Only certainty for me is Brissett will not be on the 2021 roster but aside from that Eason has a lot of competition and obstacles in his way.

The Colts dedication to Easons mental development seems encouraging to me. this was probably one of the best write ups I've seen in a while. 

I've seen a few people talk about how unlikely it is that Eason is THAT good. To be considered a true Franchise QB. 

Well the Colts actions and comments say he has more potential than outsiders know. 

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/frank-reich-details-typical-colts-week-for-rookie-jacob-eason/

17 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts dedication to Easons mental development seems encouraging to me. this was probably one of the best write ups I've seen in a while. 

I've seen a few people talk about how unlikely it is that Eason is THAT good. To be considered a true Franchise QB. 

Well the Colts actions and comments say he has more potential than outsiders know. 

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/frank-reich-details-typical-colts-week-for-rookie-jacob-eason/

I think we’ll definitely give him his shot. 

38 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I really don't take anything out of these articles now, the Colts always talk up every player see Deon Cain. I think them talking great about every player is their way of saying nothing about them

• Nadine changed the title to Jacob Eason (Thread for all Information) (merge)

We should bring back Rivers (or guys like him) until we can get lucky at the QB position. St Louis won a Super Bowl with Kurt Warner (as Arizona nearly did)

We have a helevah talented roster. We can't hang it all on having some Andrew Luck type savior. Let's keep bringing in guys until we find (or come close) the right piece to the puzzle

It's encouraging that he's working on his craft and improving the work ethics. That was one of the things people were talking about with him was this sense that he wasn't putting in enough practice and study. Well, he's motivated to prove those doubters wrong. 

The ball is honestly in his court. He's got the tools to be successful, and I wish him the best. 

I really love hearing things like this.  I truly believe that he is the future QB1 in 2021 for the Colts.  He has shown so much in how he is taking this "redshirt" year.  Just imagine, he was the 5 star recruit and the number 1 rated QB per Rivals.  Then he became a freshman starter at Georgia and went 8-5.  Then he was got hurt and transferred to Washington.  Many predicted him as a first round pick.  He gets picked in the 4th round.  His motivation is high.  Look at these tweets from local reporters.

2 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

We should bring back Rivers (or guys like him) until we can get lucky at the QB position. St Louis won a Super Bowl with Kurt Warner (as Arizona nearly did)

We have a helevah talented roster. We can't hang it all on having some Andrew Luck type savior. Let's keep bringing in guys until we find (or come close) the right piece to the puzzle

like erickson, majikowski (sp?), Harbs, et al.! Those were fun times!  (not sarcastic)

Archived