Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacob Eason (Thread for all Information) ((MERGE))

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Interesting. The way I see it though is Eason is competing against Sam Darnold, Philip Rivers 2020 performance, Jamie Newman, and Zack Wilson (BYU). Because for me, those are the most realistic starting QB options for the Colts in 2021. 

I would include Ryan Fitzpatrick in that mix. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He just took questions from the press. Should be up on YouTube later. This kid is working his butt off. Really impressed with the quotes I saw from reporters.

but then we they have been talking up Rivers and he has looked as bad as rookies with his int's this year... Ty said that him and Rivers had a good connection and we all know how that is... I believe what this org is saying with a grain a salt... they said the same Sh.. when Pagano was here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a lot from Eason’s press conference:

He’s not at a place where he needs to be, to be a starter.

He’s learning from coaches and from watching from Rivers and Brissett and determining where he would go on the play.

He’s doing extra work to make up for the lack of playing.

There’s good communication between Rivers, Brissett, Siriani and Reich.

I know there’s those out there that think we’ve got to move up in the draft to get “the Guy” but what if we already have him?

I was checking out some QBs drafted in later rounds that turned out to be Franchise QBs:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1154515-10-best-late-round-qb-selections-in-nfl-draft-history

Eason is no Lawrence. And we know they were checking out Lance. It sounds like he’s got potential but he’s also got a small sample size to go on. If then see enough growth in Eason and feel he can take the reigns from Rivers in 2022, wouldn’t they be better off grabbing a LT, DE, CB or WR in the first? 

Anyway, I was impressed by his Zoom meeting:

https://www.colts.com/video/jacob-eason-rookie-development-mental-physical-reps-bye-week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a chance? Of course there is. There's also a chance he's not our "Guy". Sadly, there's more evidence against him than for. Most QBs chosen in the draft don't amount to much success. 

That said, and this has been pointed out by other posters, development and "fit" is a major factor on how successful he becomes. The QBs who go on to lead a fulfilling career either have enormous talent (ala Aaron Rogers) or fantastic development and scheme fit (ala Tom Brady). Eason is certainly taking the right steps so far. The question now is will he continue his learning, and will the staff be able to tailor fit to his strengths and create a strong, stable environment around him. Players like Tom Brady benefitted from having a long lasting coaching staff, and early success. The early success allowed Tom to stay in the organization and continue to learn and get better. 

If Jacob can have early success, and the will to be a lifelong learner, he's going to go far. If he gets complacent, he'll fail.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I got a lot from Eason’s press conference:

He’s not at a place where he needs to be, to be a starter.

He’s learning from coaches and from watching from Rivers and Brissett and determining where he would go on the play.

I know there’s those out there that think we’ve got to move up in the draft to get “the Guy” but what if we already have him?

I was checking out some QBs drafted in later rounds that turned out to be Franchise QBs:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1154515-10-best-late-round-qb-selections-in-nfl-draft-history

Anyway, I was impressed by his Zoom meeting:

https://www.colts.com/video/jacob-eason-rookie-development-mental-physical-reps-bye-week

What if he's Not the Guy??

Can the colts afford to put all their eggs in Eason's basket? The most important position in sports?

Do we want to go into every game and be at a Disadvantage vs the opposing teams QB?

I say do everything possible to get the best QB we can and keep and continue to develop Eason. And then we'll see where the chips fall.

• Like 1

A fair question, to be sure. I can't even speculate an answer until I see him go up against a defense comprised of NFL 1's. At the very least, he appears to be saying and doing all the right things to give himself the best shot. I would guess at the very least he will be a quality backup in the league, and potentially much more.

• Like 1

Ideally, yes. But, we have no idea where he is at as far as being ready to becoming a starter. The Colts don't even know at this point. It would be great if he pans out to be a top 15 QB. However, you can't pass up a top QB if we have the ability to get him IMO. I'm just going to assume the Colts know what they are doing, and Ballard has many plans in place. 

I believe a trade for a Veteran QB is most likely if we don't resign RIvers. Brissett will be gone. Eason will compete, and will be the primary backup.

QB depth chart: New QB, Eason, New Qb for training camp/practice squad

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Can the colts afford to put all their eggs in Eason's basket? The most important position in sports?

Do we want to go into every game and be at a Disadvantage vs the opposing teams QB?

I say do everything possible to get the best QB we can and keep and continue to develop Eason. And then we'll see where the chips fall.

This is the exact line of thinking I am using. The opportunity cost of rolling with Eason vs. trading for a veteran/proven talent is likely not worth it.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The NFL is a business, and as such there should be a level of accountability. So, absolutely yes to this notion. There's a fine line between loyalty and being held to standards. We should continue to reward players based on their product on the field, while simultaneously always finding better talent.

If anything else, it will provide a push for Eason to be self-driven.  

• Like 1

What I got from this week's press-conferences regarding Eason is that he's not really getting any scout team reps. I was kind of disappointed by that. It's probably understandable that they give that role to Jacoby, but I wished he would be getting at least some proportion of them. Like you said, this probably means he's not really ready. 

On the other hand, the feedback we are getting from the coaching staff seems to suggest that they are very happy with his progression and it seems like he has taken the lead in his preparation and is doing extra-work to compensate for not getting much live reps(even in practice). I honestly don't know how to evaluate that though. I wish we had more information and I wish the coaching staff had more opportunities to evaluate him, but it is what it is... when you are trying to compete the evaluation of the 4th round QB is not front and center in the list of priorities... again... understandable. 

With all that said... there are 2-3 months more Eason will be with this coaching staff and around Rivers and Jacoby before the season's over... I'm no NFL GM and no coach, but IMO the approach they have to take is - you need to have relatively high level of confidence that Eason has the chance to be your franchise QB by the end of that time... OR, if not, you just have to bite the bullet and draft your next QB(this of course is with the caveat that you actually love some of the QBs in the draft and think one of them can be your franchise QB) and let them compete in case Eason takes a big step forward in the off-season. You cannot postpone that decision indefinitely. The QB decision needs to be relatively clear and you have to be confident with that decision... You cannot be wishy-washy with it and this is especially true at a time when the rest of the team seems good enough to compete in the league. 

tl;dr: yes, he can be the guy, but you better be confident in that by draft time... otherwise - draft a QB of the future if you like one. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, stitches said:

What I got from this week's press-conferences regarding Eason is that he's not really getting any scout team reps. I was kind of disappointed by that. It's probably understandable that they give that role to Jacoby, but I wished he would be getting at least some proportion of them. Like you said, this probably means he's not really ready. 

On the other hand, the feedback we are getting from the coaching staff seems to suggest that they are very happy with his progression and it seems like he has taken the lead in his preparation and is doing extra-work to compensate for not getting much live reps(even in practice). I honestly don't know how to evaluate that though. I wish we had more information and I wish the coaching staff had more opportunities to evaluate him, but it is what it is... when you are trying to compete the evaluation of the 4th round QB is not front and center in the list of priorities... again... understandable. 

With all that said... there are 2-3 months more Eason will be with this coaching staff and around Rivers and Jacoby before the season's over... I'm no NFL GM and no coach, but IMO the approach they have to take is - you need to have relatively high level of confidence that Eason has the chance to be your franchise QB by the end of that time... OR, if not, you just have to bite the bullet and draft your next QB(this of course is with the caveat that you actually love some of the QBs in the draft and think one of them can be your franchise QB) and let them compete in case Eason takes a big step forward in the off-season. You cannot postpone that decision indefinitely. The QB decision needs to be relatively clear and you have to be confident with that decision... You cannot be wishy-washy with it and this is especially true at a time when the rest of the team seems good enough to compete in the league. 

tl;dr: yes, he can be the guy, but you better be confident in that by draft time... otherwise - draft a QB of the future if you like one. 

How could he not be ready for "scout team reps?"

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I meant he's not ready to be playing in the league, not "not ready for scout reps"... IMO if he was ready to be put in games, he probably would be getting some of the scout team reps... 

• Like 2

He’s saying all the right things, let’s just hope he’s doing it too. 

He could be the guy and the Coach’s will probably know if he is, by the end of this season or by OTAs during the off-season because it’s easy to do the right things when you are in season.

Let’s see if he continues to work on his game during the offseason, when he isn’t meeting with coaches everyday

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I meant he's not ready to be playing in the league, not "not ready for scout reps"... IMO if he was ready to be put in games, he probably would be getting some of the scout team reps... 

There's some reason this regime is locked at the hip to Brissett until he's out the door.  Partly it's the contract he has, and partly it's because they know they can grind out a few tedious wins with him if it comes down to it.  It's like having a backup plan for a Friday night out..... She's nothing to look at, but shes nice and fun to hang out with.... So you do enough to keep her interested and you'd rather spend the evening with her than take a shot at the pretentious looking 9+10 in the corner that could be amazing, but likely knows she's a looker and is a major pain in the * 

27 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

He's not going to get any scout team reps as long as Brissett is the backup. Brisset is the one that will be active game day not Eason.  Brissett should be getting the reps.  He has to be ready.   

I would say it's a dubious proposition at best...given some of the issues he had in college. But he certainly has the arm...and Day 3 QBs have become starters before. I just find it hard to believe he is currently Plan A for this team. They need a long-term QB solution...and they liked the guy so much that they waited until the middle of 4th round to draft him? Either Ballard has a crystal ball OR Eason was more of an opportunistic pick that someone they had to have. 

And per his own words (paraphrasing)...Ballard gets (probably) one shot at this. He has to be really sure about Eason before he goes down that path...because it will require a 2-3 year commitment to Eason...during a time which the Colts have a good roster.

• Nadine changed the title to Jacob Eason (Thread for all Information) ((MERGE))
3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He's not going to get any scout team reps as long as Brissett is the backup. Brisset is the one that will be active game day not Eason.  Brissett should be getting the reps.  He has to be ready.   

Reich actually said earlier in the week he will start getting scout team reps.

I don’t think the colts even know yet if they will look for the future in the draft. Eason still has half a season to show what he has in practice and by working. I don’t think the colts would be shy about trading up if they felt that a sure fire can’t miss guy is there they really love.  The best thing for this team I believe is to have Rivers have a great season and come back next year and have Eason as the backup. Then he could be ready in 2022. 

We’ll see some of Eason at the end of the season probably. Regardless of outcome, because if we clinch a playoff spot early, we’ll want to sit our starters, and since Jacoby won’t be on the team next year, you probably let Eason start or at least play the 2nd half of those games. If we’re terrible and it we get eliminated from playoff contention then you definitely play Eason.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’ll see some of Eason at the end of the season probably. Regardless of outcome, because if we clinch a playoff spot early, we’ll want to sit our starters, and since Jacoby won’t be on the team next year, you probably let Eason start or at least play the 2nd half of those games. If we’re terrible and it we get eliminated from playoff contention then you definitely play Eason.

Won't that hurt the locker room leader's feelings?

On 10/23/2020 at 1:11 PM, shasta519 said:

I would say it's a dubious proposition at best...given some of the issues he had in college. But he certainly has the arm...and Day 3 QBs have become starters before. I just find it hard to believe he is currently Plan A for this team. They need a long-term QB solution...and they liked the guy so much that they waited until the middle of 4th round to draft him? Either Ballard has a crystal ball OR Eason was more of an opportunistic pick that someone they had to have. 

And per his own words (paraphrasing)...Ballard gets (probably) one shot at this. He has to be really sure about Eason before he goes down that path...because it will require a 2-3 year commitment to Eason...during a time which the Colts have a good roster.

AKA - "the paralysis of analysis."

On 10/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, stitches said:

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Eason not being ready next season. Brissett and his roll on the team has hampered Eason development.  

If Rivers don't play good enough to resign, slate Eason in as the starter and let's roll. 

No matter how that turns out we still have to address another QB or two on the roster. 

Eason has the physical tools and will not get the mental down without getting his feet wet. 

I don't have a clue on where we will be picking in the draft but there are some interesting QBs who may be available outside the draft. 

Hopefully we don't have to go the route of 'a seasoned veteran" on the downside of their career. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally, I don't necessarily agree with Eason not being ready next season. Brissett and his roll on the team has hampered Eason development.  

If Rivers don't play good enough to resign, slate Eason in as the starter and let's roll. 

No matter how that turns out we still have to address another QB or two on the roster. 

Eason has the physical tools and will not get the mental down without getting his feet wet. 

I don't have a clue on where we will be picking in the draft but there are some interesting QBs who may be available outside the draft. 

Hopefully we don't have to go the route of 'a seasoned veteran" on the downside of their career. 

I agree with you. Jacoby does kind of hamper Eason’s development. I’m looking at Miami’s decision to start Tua and thinking that Eason also NEEDS to play in some form this year as I noted earlier.  Even though I’m on board (but not 100% locked into) the Darnold idea, it’s imperative for the Colts to know what they have in Eason.

It’s no secret that come 2022 the latest, the Colts will have someone not named Phillip Rivers or Jacoby Brissett starting for them. When that time comes, you need to make sure you’ve exhausted all options to get to that decision. You can’t do that if 2022 comes and Jacob Eason hasn’t started 6-10 NFL games. He doesn’t need to redshirt this year and then just hold a clipboard next year. Maybe it was lack of talent, but that didn’t work for Brock Osweiler. And yes blah blah Aaron Rodgers. I know 

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 11:42 AM, chad72 said:

They are "Eas(o)n him into a starting role". Your guess is as good as mine.

I truthfully still don't know much about him. But there are 2 seasoned veterans on the 53, and a rookie (especially in Covid 2020) working his way past both in rank seems highly unlikely under any circumstance.

If Rivers is not the answer, might as well have Eason play 1 year with a good backup not named Rivers or JB, and a drafted QB, and go from there. 

Let us talk in December, more answers will appear.

Hmmm, yes. Let's see how things go.

Tua was just made the Dolphins starter and Fitzmagic is backup, perplexing move because the Dolphins were still in AFC East race.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:53 PM, Stephen said:

Yea Fitzpatrick  was doing good, but he normally  follows up with bad games

Interesting factoid. In 16 years in the NFL, Ryan Fitzpatrick has appeared in 162 NFL games, playing either for or against every team in the NFL except for the Green Bay Packers. Yet he has never played a single game in the NFL postseason. Ever.

I've heard some call him Fitzmagic, but I've heard others (like Rex Ryan for one) call him Fitztragic too. He can be and is both.