Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

This was a hot topic in another thread this past weekend that several people had various opinions on

 

I also asked Andrew on Colts Mailbag so looking forward to his answer. 

 

What are your thoughts?

IMO yes he has done enough to get in

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on how he does in next game.

I always hated the “no success” in the post season as a reason for not being elite.  Post season success is a team issue.    06 - First year of playing.  LT was having a MVP season.  Little was

Hope he wins a ring and beats tampa to get it

Rivers will get in considering how the voting is now .  I think deion sanders hit the nail on the head when he said the hall of fame used to be for elite players now its just the hall of very good .    To be a HOF used to mean being the best of the best .  Its hard for me to say someone who was never a mvp or considered a top 5 QB during his playing time  belongs .    rivers is in a tough spot because during his career he had peyon , brady , rodgers , ben , drew ,   who were top 5 then wilson and mahomes come in .  can you say someone who was never a top 5 QB during his playing time is the best of the best?   If rivers can win a ring it changes the whole narrative and makes him a first ballad . If not it will take some time maybe 10 or 15 years after he retires to get in .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is. I honestly was never a huge fan when he was in SD, but he's got #'s and longevity as a huge argument.

 

Granted he never dominated, but he was usually a top 10 guy for most of his career.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Rivers will get in considering how the voting is now .  I think deion sanders hit the nail on the head when he said the hall of fame used to be for elite players now its just the hall of very good .    To be a HOF used to mean being the best of the best .  Its hard for me to say someone who was never a mvp or considered a top 5 QB during his playing time  belongs .    rivers is in a tough spot because during his career he had peyon , brady , rodgers , ben , drew ,   who were top 5 then wilson and mahomes come in .  can you say someone who was never a top 5 QB during his playing time is the best of the best?   If rivers can win a ring it changes the whole narrative and makes him a first ballad . If not it will take some time maybe 10 or 15 years after he retires to get in .

You are basing him getting in on winning a ring but that doesn't matter 

 

Several players have gotten in without winning it all

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

You are basing him getting in on winning a ring but that doesn't matter 

 

Several players have gotten in without winning it all

No you misunderstood my point .   Dan marino no doubt belongs and he has no ring .   To me if a QB does not have a ring he needs to be a top 5 QB in his prime for multiple seasons .   i put rivers in the 6-10 range in his prime i would put him 6 out of 32 QBs in his prime  which is really good .  It depends what you consider hall of fame , if you think someone who is top 10 every year he played then yes he  belongs .   To me it needs to be the best of the best , for a QB it needs to be a players who was considered the best in the nfl for at least one season and a top 5 during his prime every year .  My point was if rivers gets a ring i put him in the same league as big ben and move him from top 6 to top 5 tied with ben

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Rivers will get in considering how the voting is now .  I think deion sanders hit the nail on the head when he said the hall of fame used to be for elite players now its just the hall of very good .    To be a HOF used to mean being the best of the best .  Its hard for me to say someone who was never a mvp or considered a top 5 QB during his playing time  belongs .    rivers is in a tough spot because during his career he had peyon , brady , rodgers , ben , drew ,   who were top 5 then wilson and mahomes come in .  can you say someone who was never a top 5 QB during his playing time is the best of the best?   If rivers can win a ring it changes the whole narrative and makes him a first ballad . If not it will take some time maybe 10 or 15 years after he retires to get in .

Good points but I think Rivers has the longevity, stats, durability, and overall wins to get in. Probably 2nd ballot but I can see that. IMO for his 17 years in the league he has been pretty much a top 10 QB compared to his competition. He is still above average this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Rivers will get in considering how the voting is now .  I think deion sanders hit the nail on the head when he said the hall of fame used to be for elite players now its just the hall of very good .    To be a HOF used to mean being the best of the best .  Its hard for me to say someone who was never a mvp or considered a top 5 QB during his playing time  belongs .    rivers is in a tough spot because during his career he had peyon , brady , rodgers , ben , drew ,   who were top 5 then wilson and mahomes come in .  can you say someone who was never a top 5 QB during his playing time is the best of the best?   If rivers can win a ring it changes the whole narrative and makes him a first ballad . If not it will take some time maybe 10 or 15 years after he retires to get in .

No matter if Rivers wins a ring or not has no bearing on him entering the HOF. 

A ring is a team orientated award. 

What other players did has zero to do with it. 

May I suggest going to the HOF web site and read how a player is voted into the HOF. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter if Rivers wins a ring or not has no bearing on him entering the HOF. 

A ring is a team orientated award. 

What other players did has zero to do with it. 

May I suggest going to the HOF web site and read how a player is voted into the HOF. 

 

 

rings do matter though .   if eli manning has zero rings does he get into HOF?    Its only one aspect though as i said in my other post .   dan marino is in because of the records and mvps.  My point was if you a player is not a legendary player and is borderline hall of fame then rings matter .   With Eli the rings will push him over the edge , same with rivers  i said rivers is ranked in my opinion 6 out of 32 during his prime a ring pushes him even and makes him tied with big ben for 5th making with a first ballard pick .  

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

This was a hot topic in another thread this past weekend that several people had various opinions on

 

I also asked Andrew on Colts Mailbag so looking forward to his answer. 

 

What are your thoughts?

IMO yes he has done enough to get in

Borderline

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

If Rivers manages to win a ring with us, he’ll make it in within 5 years of retiring. If he doesn’t win a ring, I’d say within 10 years. 

I have a feeling this team is going to get hot at the right time......homerism?  Probably.  But I do think a ring is possible this year with rivers under center. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I have a feeling this team is going to get hot at the right time......homerism?  Probably.  But I do think a ring is possible this year with rivers under center. 

I'd love it obviously, but part of me will hate being remembered as the 'covid season winner', an asterisk type season.

 

But I'd be rooting my * off. Let's hope Rivers has it in him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I have a feeling this team is going to get hot at the right time......homerism?  Probably.  But I do think a ring is possible this year with rivers under center. 

Any Given Sunday 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IinD said:

I'd love it obviously, but part of me will hate being remembered as the 'covid season winner', an asterisk type season.

 

But I'd be rooting my * off. Let's hope Rivers has it in him.

Honestly for an organization that will hang an "AFC championship participant" banner, a ring in the season of covid would be a step up.....no shame my man.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Depends on how he does in next game.haha

lmao , yep. He is a HOFamer this week to many because we won but if plays like doo doo against the Lions and we lose he isn't again :funny:

 

In all seriousness I think he is though just based off of his stats, durability, and overall wins. He hasn't won a SB but Marino or Kelly didn't either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. I kinda put him in the Kenny Anderson category. Great QB with stats to back it up, but no or little success in the post season. He'll get in, but not before Eli and Ben

Link to post
Share on other sites

jimirsayraw.0.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Honestly for an organization that will hang an "AFC championship participant" banner, a ring in the season of covid would be a step up.....no shame my man.

that was super embarrassing almost as embarrassing as the jim irsay ring pic

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I have no problem with hanging a Final 4 banner. That means you were 1 of the 4 best teams in the league - very tough to do, ask the Texans who have been to 0. To me that is better than winning the division and getting bounced in 1 game, if you win your division and get bounced in the 1st round that is worse but yet owners hang banners for that??

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honestly I have no problem with hanging a Final 4 banner. That means you were 1 of the 4 best teams in the league - very tough to do, ask the Texans who have been to 0. To me that is better than winning the division and getting bounced in 1 game, if you win your division and get bounced in the 1st round that is worse but yet owners hang banners for that??

I can respect that.  Personally it just makes me shake my head and laugh a little........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honestly I have no problem with hanging a Final 4 banner. That means you were 1 of the 4 best teams in the league - very tough to do, ask the Texans who have been to 0. To me that is better than winning the division and getting bounced in 1 game, if you win your division and get bounced in the 1st round that is worse but yet owners hang banners for that??

Texans lol 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

I have a feeling this team is going to get hot at the right time......homerism?  Probably.  But I do think a ring is possible this year with rivers under center. 

I still vividly remember when Rivers led a 21-pt comeback vs  Bengals in his first year as a starter. Something about the team changed after that. They believed in each other and always knew they could win even if they fell into a big hole. 
 

They finished 14-2. 
 

Maybe we’ll see the same thing in his last season. :cheer2:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I still vividly remember when Rivers led a 21-pt comeback vs  Bengals in his first year as a starter. Something about the team changed after that. They believed in each other and always knew they could win even if they fell into a big hole. 
 

They finished 14-2. 
 

Maybe we’ll see the same thing in his last season. :cheer2:

I think we can beat Tennessee with him under center.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we can beat Tennessee with him under center.

It begins and ends with stopping Henry. He is the engine that paves the way for the rest. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IinD said:

I'd love it obviously, but part of me will hate being remembered as the 'covid season winner', an asterisk type season.

 

But I'd be rooting my * off. Let's hope Rivers has it in him.

If the Dodgers beat Tampa Bay and win the World Series this year, do you think anyone will discount it due to COVID and the altered postseason eligibility & structure? I think not - they would've still vanquished every team they faced, and coming back from being down 3 games to 1 against the Braves (Atlanta should be renamed to signify their constant choking) is impressive whether you like them or not.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If the Dodgers beat Tampa Bay and win the World Series this year, do you think anyone will discount it due to COVID and the altered postseason eligibility & structure? I think not - they would've still vanquished every team they faced, and coming back from being down 3 games to 1 against the Braves (Atlanta should be renamed to signify their constant choking) is impressive whether you like them or not.

If Rivers gets his ring, I could care less what people think. It is a ring under what ever circumstance. Every team is coping with the same stuff.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Rivers gets his ring, I could care less what people think. It is a ring under what ever circumstance. Every team is coping with the same stuff.

Agreed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I still vividly remember when Rivers led a 21-pt comeback vs  Bengals in his first year as a starter. Something about the team changed after that. They believed in each other and always knew they could win even if they fell into a big hole. 
 

They finished 14-2. 
 

Maybe we’ll see the same thing in his last season. :cheer2:

The following week Philip brought the Chargers back from being down by 17 in the 3rd Quarter to beat the Broncos, pretty impressive to win consecutive games after  having been down by at least 17 points in each.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No. But regardless, he'll probably eventually be voted in.

 

If nothing else, his (likely) post football, media gig will allow him to further score points 

enough voters on the fence to get it done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IinD said:

I'd love it obviously, but part of me will hate being remembered as the 'covid season winner', an asterisk type season.

 

But I'd be rooting my * off. Let's hope Rivers has it in him.

Still a better asterisk than 6 time cheating champions. I mean if pats fans can live with cheating for each of their bowl wins, then surely we can live with winning it, if we did, during this Covid mess

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he will get in the HOF.

Personally, I wouldn't put him in.  He's never been thought of as one of the 5 best QB's in the league during his career.  I think you have to compare a player to his peers at the time.   He should be in the Hall of Very Good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Borderline

 

Yep, not first ballot at least. Might take a second or third ballot to get him in. No one will mistake him for Dan Marino without a ring, not the same abilities or prolific nature to get in first ballot without a ring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is making the HOF, guaranteed.  Anyone that says otherwise is either a hater or does not have enough information to form their opinion.

 

Rivers will finish top 5 in TDs and yards, top 10 in passer rating, top 10 in wins.  He has 8 pro bowls (should be more) and should have won MVP in 2008...I believe some publications named him MVP that year, but not AP.  He was the best QB in the league over a three year stretch (2008-2010).

 

Had he played for a franchise capable of winning a super bowl, this wouldn't even be a discussion.  There's a reason Eli wasn't "allowed" to play in San Diego.  They had 35+ seasons of Fouts, Brees, and Rivers with no super bowl.  That says it all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think he will get in the HOF.

Personally, I wouldn't put him in.  He's never been thought of as one of the 5 best QB's in the league during his career.  I think you have to compare a player to his peers at the time.   He should be in the Hall of Very Good. 

He has definitely been viewed as a top 5 QB at various points in his career.

 

Edited for further detail:

Rivers was top 5 (or better) in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2018.  Top 10 in most of his other seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

lmao , yep. He is a HOFamer this week to many because we won but if plays like doo doo against the Lions and we lose he isn't again :funny:

 

In all seriousness I think he is though just based off of his stats, durability, and overall wins. He hasn't won a SB but Marino or Kelly didn't either.

Fouts never went to a SB either, and Rivers shattered all of his Chargers records.  Fouts still has significantly more career INTs as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • And you got beat by Florida International and Louisiana Tech last year......    But, I mean, The U does have the highest paid players. From the Pell Grant fraud, to Shapiro handing out cash and cars, I would hope they put more in the NFL than most teams. Add on the hidden drug test to keep players eligible...    Not sure why Miami's history of NFL draft picks is relevant in general, or has any bearing on why you're football takes are any better than anyone else?
    • Another reason it doesn’t bother me if the Colts don’t make the playoffs is they’ll get shredded by the Chiefs. That goes for the rest of the AFC.
    • I get they're from one of the biggest TV markets in the country, but you knew that game was going to be a non-competitive snoozefest before it even started. I generally watch every Sunday Night game available, but I can tell you that both Sunday Night games that I largely tuned out of involved Packers-Bears contests (I wanna say there was a game in 2013 or 2014 where the Packers dropped 50+ on the Bears on Sunday Night and you could feel it was going to happen before the game even started).
    • I apologize for today guys. At least you whipped them the first time you played them in Tennessee but lost at home. I have a feeling the Titans are going to whip us when we see them just after Christmas.
    • Question for you and those who LOL with your post. How long have you been following football to ask a juvenile question? Is that even a question to ponder?   I'f I go through the list of South Florida talent, we would need to start a separate website, yes website never mind thread.   Coaches along: Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wanstedt, Pagano, just to name a few. Lets not start with players. On this current team, players not named Marlon Mack or TY Hilton, Anthony Walker, Jacoby Brissett, Al Qudin Muhammad, Xavier Rhodes (Norland High School is less than 20 mins away).   Ever heard of a guy named Edgerrin James? Ask Peyton Manning and Jim Irsey who is Edgerrin James? LOL (as the legend has it, Edgerrin was bigger, and faster than Sequon Barkley. Just to make a long story short)   I actually take offense to your question. But to no avail, here is your answer: The Hurricanes hold the record for most players selected in the first round in a single draft (6, in 2004), most first-round draft picks in a two-year period (10, from 2003 to 2004), most first-round draft picks in a three-year period (15, from 2002 through 2004), and most first-round picks in a four-year period (19, from 2001 through 2004). As of the 2015 NFL season, UM has 45 players on NFL rosters, including players on NFL Practice Squads and Injured Reserves and not including current Free Agents, which is the most out of any NCAA program in the nation. As of the 2016 NFL Draft, Miami now has had at least one NFL draft pick in every draft since 1975, each of the last 42 NFL drafts, one of the longest streaks among FBS programs. The Hurricanes once had a streak of 149 consecutive regular season weeks where a former Hurricane scored a touchdown in an NFL game; the streak started in Week 15 of the 2002 NFL regular season and ended in Week 11 of the 2011 season.During the streak, 33 different former Hurricanes scored touchdowns and a total of 661 touchdowns were scored. From the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team alone, 42 players went on to be drafted into the NFL from (2002-2006), including 17 1st round picks. The Hurricanes have had at least one former player make the Pro Bowl every season since 1985, 31 years in a row.
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 21,822

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 3,207

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JediXMan

      JediXMan 173

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SpanosSucks

      SpanosSucks 71

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DrWhom

      DrWhom 35

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • wingoal

      wingoal 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 445

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lancer1

      Lancer1 232

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 5,810

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JMichael557

      JMichael557 312

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...