Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Blackmon Pick: Can't say enough about Blackmon (MERGE)


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Each person heals differently plus not all ACL injuries are the same in severity. 

 

In terms of how long it takes the person to recover/heal yes. And certainly position factors into it. But the idea that you need a season to “shake off the rust” is kind of overstated. Garropolo blew his ACL and then helped lead the 49ers to a SuperBowl. Hunter  Henry missed all of 2018 with an ACL and then came back and put up 670 yards the next season. Hell Rivers won a game on a torn ACL.

 

Im really just saying that disappointing sophomore season Hooker had wasn’t due to needing to get right after his ACL tear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

In terms of how long it takes the person to recover/heal yes. And certainly position factors into it. But the idea that you need a season to “shake off the rust” is kind of overstated. Garropolo blew his ACL and then helped lead the 49ers to a SuperBowl. Hunter  Henry missed all of 2018 with an ACL and then came back and put up 670 yards the next season. Hell Rivers won a game on a torn ACL.

 

Im really just saying that disappointing sophomore season Hooker had wasn’t due to needing to get right after his ACL tear. 

One thing that’s clear is that the way they treat and rehab ACL’s just keeps getting better and better.  He old theory it takes a year to get better really died in the early to mid 2000’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

One thing that’s clear is that the way they treat and rehab ACL’s just keeps getting better and better.  He old theory it takes a year to get better really died in the early to mid 2000’s.

Yeah Adrian Peterson was the first that I remember that changed the outlook on ACL tears. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah Adrian Peterson was the first that I remember that changed the outlook on ACL tears. 

At the time, it was kind of dismissed as an exception to the rule because of how freaky AP was. But now it’s pretty common for players to come back the next season and play well. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I'm glad this thread was created, because I was going to create one nominating him as an early front runner for NFL DROY.

I haven't been paying as much attention to the rest of the league this year, who would be some of the other frontrunners?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tgb123 said:

University of Utah fan here. Julian Blackmon grew up 15 minutes from where I live. I came to see what you all thought of him.  He was a baller at Utah transitioned seamlessly from CB to FS. He has always been a ball hawk and sure tackler. Surprised to see you guys didn't like him when he got drafted.

Most people did like him when the Colts drafted him.  There was a vocal minority though that didn't.

 

I thought he was a good pick, but I thought it would take him longer to adjust to the pro game than it has.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I haven't been paying as much attention to the rest of the league this year, who would be some of the other frontrunners?

 

Two that I've seen play already who have also looked good are Kenneth Murray, linebacker for the Chargers, and Antoine Winfield, Jr., also a safety for the Bucs. I haven't seen a lot of them, yet, though, so I don't know if there are any others (like the two linebackers for the Ravens, as just one example), but it's early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Most people did like him when the Colts drafted him.  There was a vocal minority though that didn't.

 

I thought he was a good pick, but I thought it would take him longer to adjust to the pro game than it has.

 

I assumed he wouldn't play this year. Or if he did, it would be the second half of the season. Without Hooker getting hurt, Blackmon might not have played this much, but he doesn't look like he's coming off a severe injury. He looks really good. He's made some mistakes in coverage, but his instincts appear to be serving him really well. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

One thing that’s clear is that the way they treat and rehab ACL’s just keeps getting better and better.  He old theory it takes a year to get better really died in the early to mid 2000’s.

 

Not really. The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

 

Some guys have good years coming off ACL injury. Most don't. A lot of them have various setbacks within the first 12-18 months after injury. And because the NFL season is so short, it's hard for most players to come back less than a year after injury and play at a high level for an entire season.

 

And even without any setbacks, you're still prioritizing the rehab of the injured leg, and the rest of your conditioning and personal training is going to suffer. Many of them can't participate in the offseason program, or training camp. For some guys, it's not a big deal. For most guys, that first year isn't played at 100%. And while the procedure and rehab is way better than it used to be, some guys NEVER get back to their previous level of performance.

 

As a team builder, I wouldn't count on a guy who tore his ACL being able to perform at a high level in less than 12 months.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah Adrian Peterson was the first that I remember that changed the outlook on ACL tears. 

If i remember correctly, Jerry Rice came back after tearing in the preseason to play in the playoffs.  that was insane at the time.   of course i think he  then blew it out again right away.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid is special. Great draft thus far if Pittman pans out as I believe he will. Let’s see: 

Pick 1: DeForest Buckner: Alpha Starter

Pick 2: Pittman: Future stud WR

Pick 2(b): Taylor: Starting RB

Pick 3: Blackmon: Starting FS

Pick 4: Eason: Future starting QB?

Picks 5-6: Future OL starter; Stud kick returner;  unknown DT/LB/WR. But they’re on the team. heckuva draft. And Blackmon might prove to be the best of the lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s crazy how much of an impact he’s made this early, especially coming off an ACL injury. 

 

I’m a big fan of this kid. He and Leonard? They just have those intangibles, along with great athleticism.

Blackmon, Leonard, Buckner up the middle for the D.  That is pretty impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I assumed he wouldn't play this year. Or if he did, it would be the second half of the season. Without Hooker getting hurt, Blackmon might not have played this much, but he doesn't look like he's coming off a severe injury. He looks really good. He's made some mistakes in coverage, but his instincts appear to be serving him really well. 

 

Again, though they are different players, Blackmon's rookie instincts remind me of Bethea's rookie instincts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/2020-nfl-draft-grades-day-2-colts-jonathan-taylor-michael-pittman-jr/

"It was Utah safety Julian Blackmon in the third round, but he wasn’t even the best safety available from his own team at that point (Terrell Burgess). That pick was puzzling..."

 

https://nflspinzone.com/2020/05/01/indianapolis-colts-grades-2020-nfl-draft-picks/3/

Grade: D

"

There was a time when Chris Ballard could do no wrong — like one pick ago. Well, this draft pick doesn’t hit the same. The only reason why this didn’t get an F was that the Colts needed some help in the secondary. And the Colts traded down for a guy who has some potential, so they got a pass.

The problem is, Julian Blackmon isn’t going to help them any time soon. With corners like Cameron Dantzler, Darnay Holmes and edge rushers Alex Highsmith and Jonathan Greenard available, they could have gotten an immediate return."

 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/indianapolis-colts-draft-grades-2020/#:~:text=On Pauline's big board%2C Blackmon,and a sixth-round pick.

Biggest Reach: Julian Blackmon

Coming into the 2020

"

Blackmon doesn’t have the size to be a force in the middle of the field and consistently help in run support. He also struggles with his angles to the ball-carrier. He’s quick to read and diagnose plays, which will be helpful in the screen game and on RPO-type plays, but the Colts could have found someone with skills more in-line with their need at the position.

Couple that with Blackmon coming off an ACL injury, and you have a major reach. Blackmon was selected in the third round at 85th overall. On Pauline’s big board, Blackmon came in as the 226th rated prospect and a sixth-round pick. The Colts 2020 NFL Draft grade takes a hit for this one."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/2020-nfl-draft-grades-day-2-colts-jonathan-taylor-michael-pittman-jr/

"It was Utah safety Julian Blackmon in the third round, but he wasn’t even the best safety available from his own team at that point (Terrell Burgess). That pick was puzzling..."

 

https://nflspinzone.com/2020/05/01/indianapolis-colts-grades-2020-nfl-draft-picks/3/

Grade: D

"

There was a time when Chris Ballard could do no wrong — like one pick ago. Well, this draft pick doesn’t hit the same. The only reason why this didn’t get an F was that the Colts needed some help in the secondary. And the Colts traded down for a guy who has some potential, so they got a pass.

The problem is, Julian Blackmon isn’t going to help them any time soon. With corners like Cameron Dantzler, Darnay Holmes and edge rushers Alex Highsmith and Jonathan Greenard available, they could have gotten an immediate return."

 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/indianapolis-colts-draft-grades-2020/#:~:text=On Pauline's big board%2C Blackmon,and a sixth-round pick.

Biggest Reach: Julian Blackmon

Coming into the 2020

"

Blackmon doesn’t have the size to be a force in the middle of the field and consistently help in run support. He also struggles with his angles to the ball-carrier. He’s quick to read and diagnose plays, which will be helpful in the screen game and on RPO-type plays, but the Colts could have found someone with skills more in-line with their need at the position.

Couple that with Blackmon coming off an ACL injury, and you have a major reach. Blackmon was selected in the third round at 85th overall. On Pauline’s big board, Blackmon came in as the 226th rated prospect and a sixth-round pick. The Colts 2020 NFL Draft grade takes a hit for this one."

Man, those quotes didn't age well. :funny:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hark said:

Man, those quotes didn't age well. :funny:

 

You hit on some, you miss on some. That is the draft for you. :) 

 

One thing you cannot measure is heart and quick grasp of the schemes. Some guys seize the opportunity due to injury to a starter, some guys just get picked on. I am glad Blackmon seized it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/2020-nfl-draft-grades-day-2-colts-jonathan-taylor-michael-pittman-jr/

"It was Utah safety Julian Blackmon in the third round, but he wasn’t even the best safety available from his own team at that point (Terrell Burgess). That pick was puzzling..."

 

https://nflspinzone.com/2020/05/01/indianapolis-colts-grades-2020-nfl-draft-picks/3/

Grade: D

"

There was a time when Chris Ballard could do no wrong — like one pick ago. Well, this draft pick doesn’t hit the same. The only reason why this didn’t get an F was that the Colts needed some help in the secondary. And the Colts traded down for a guy who has some potential, so they got a pass.

The problem is, Julian Blackmon isn’t going to help them any time soon. With corners like Cameron Dantzler, Darnay Holmes and edge rushers Alex Highsmith and Jonathan Greenard available, they could have gotten an immediate return."

 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/indianapolis-colts-draft-grades-2020/#:~:text=On Pauline's big board%2C Blackmon,and a sixth-round pick.

Biggest Reach: Julian Blackmon

Coming into the 2020

"

Blackmon doesn’t have the size to be a force in the middle of the field and consistently help in run support. He also struggles with his angles to the ball-carrier. He’s quick to read and diagnose plays, which will be helpful in the screen game and on RPO-type plays, but the Colts could have found someone with skills more in-line with their need at the position.

Couple that with Blackmon coming off an ACL injury, and you have a major reach. Blackmon was selected in the third round at 85th overall. On Pauline’s big board, Blackmon came in as the 226th rated prospect and a sixth-round pick. The Colts 2020 NFL Draft grade takes a hit for this one."

Which is why judging players before they play a game is dumb.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's ex-Colts DB Darius Butler breaking down the Blackmon pick that sealed our win against Cincy. I always like Darius' breakdowns. In another tweet about this play, Darius points out how the DBs showed Burrow a “Single High” or “Middle Closed” look pre-snap but rotated to a “Split safety” or “Middle Open” look post snap.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

And here's Blackmon breaking down his own game-sealing pick against Cincy.

 

 

 

That was awesome to watch!!! Of course not as awesome as the Marlin Jackson pick for going to the SB but still awesome!!! :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 4:02 PM, Superman said:

 

I assumed he wouldn't play this year. Or if he did, it would be the second half of the season. Without Hooker getting hurt, Blackmon might not have played this much, but he doesn't look like he's coming off a severe injury. He looks really good. He's made some mistakes in coverage, but his instincts appear to be serving him really well. 

 

 

I wish that Hooker was not an achilles guy.  You could play them both often in nickels, dimes, you can put Blackmon at SS.  I think Hooker is very undervalued on the board.  he was played out of position IMO.  He always played FS but last season he was asked to be more of the cover 2 type which is different than the CF type.

 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-malik-hookers-health-is-key-to-the-colts-success-in-2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nickster said:

 

 

I wish that Hooker was not an achilles guy.  You could play them both often in nickels, dimes, you can put Blackmon at SS.  I think Hooker is very undervalued on the board.  he was played out of position IMO.  He always played FS but last season he was asked to be more of the cover 2 type which is different than the CF type.

 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-malik-hookers-health-is-key-to-the-colts-success-in-2019

 

I was hoping Hooker would play his butt off this season. That could also move Willis primarily into the dime back spot, where I think he's best. That would be a good three headed mix, I think. 

 

But Blackmon is playing his butt off, so we're good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...