Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense???

Smonroe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did a lot better in the second half for sure. Rock gained his composure, and Blackmon showed up when we desperately needed a play. 

I’m still concerned about our pass rush. Burrow was leading the league in QB hits and sacks. We should have been able to get more pressure from our line and not from blitzing backs. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Smh, the lengths some go to pretend this defense is amazing when it’s not is beyond me.

Or that some will go to state they are not or/and complain about winning.

Only been missing our best(maybe 2nd best; Buckner) Defensive player for last 2 weeks.

I'm sure that made no difference in overall defensive performance.

Still ranked in top 10 after this week to I imagine. We will see when thw dust settles.

But hey, it wouldn't be fun if we didn't trash the team after a win, would it?

Maybe a win over the Lions will live up to your expectations? Doubt it, but one could hope.

I was building on what you said not directing that at you.

Look, most fans are happy we pulled out a win.

We are all aware of what got us into trouble. 

You just can't relax and let us have a happy moment?  We have two weeks to regroup. 

Just now, w87r said:

Or that some will go to state they are not or/and complain about winning.

Only been missing our best(maybe 2nd best; Buckner) Defensive player for last 2 weeks.

I'm sure that made no difference in overall defensive performance.

Still ranked in top 10 after this week to I imagine. We will see when thw dust settles.

But hey, it wouldn't be fun if we didn't trash the team after a win, would it?

Maybe a win over the Lions will live up to your expectations? Doubt it, but one could hope.

I am not complaining about winning.  I am thrilled they won and have given Rivers all types of praise today.  I also gave praise to Blackmon.  However I am not going to sit here and pretend the defense is elite when it’s not.  They are good group but they aren’t this amazing unit that’s above criticism when they don’t play well that some pretend they are.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t elite.  They are good, at times.  They are poor at others.  What scared me the most was the d-line just getting owned by a subpar Bengals line.  That’s 3 of 4 last halves of football what is supposed to be the strength of the defense got owned by a lesser opponent.

In whose world was this D line seen as the strength.  Yes, Buckner is elite but Houston is getting old and the rest have shown little. Dont base your expectations on training camp.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, most fans are happy we pulled out a win.

We are all aware of what got us into trouble. 

You just can't relax and let us have a happy moment?  We have two weeks to regroup. 

Funny you should do this as I quoting you saying what I’ve been saying today...

I am happy they won too.  I am not going to pretend the defense is an elite unit though.  They are a good unit i won’t question that.  However, without Rivers the Colts get blown out today with their elite defense and great o-line and yet people are still here talking about the defense like they have no flaws.

Also I am not the one who started this thread or made you read it or post in it.  Clearly I am not the only one whose concerned about the defense.  Also, not everyone lives in a blue bubble where winning makes all the flaws just go away.  If you want to enjoy it and not have anyone talk about what went wrong as well right then perhaps reading a thread called defense?? Isn’t a good idea.  

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

So the Colts don't miss his ability to stop runs and make tackles? 

Sorry, I can't follow your logic. 

I am not sure his presence would have made much difference. The success of this D starts with the pressure the front 4 is able to put on the opposing offences. 

I am not complaining about winning.  I am thrilled they won and have given Rivers all types of praise today.  I also gave praise to Blackmon.  However I am not going to sit here and pretend the defense is elite when it’s not.  They are good group but they aren’t this amazing unit that’s above criticism when they don’t play well that some pretend they are.

:facepalm:   <;;;;> :dunno:

Just because some us decide not to sit around beating it to death :deadhorse:

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the Colts don't miss his ability to stop runs and make tackles? 

Sorry, I can't follow your logic. 

He is just a Leonard hater and doesn't think we will give him a big deal.

Actually I don't even think its just Leonard. Just a Colts hater in general, can't even remember the last positive post about the Colts that I've seen from Moosejaw.

He has openly admitted that he just gets bored in his little Canadian town(His words) and likes to stir up things for his entertainment. Truly sad.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

He is just a Leonard hater and doesn't think we will give him a big deal.

Actually I don't even think its just Leonard. Just a Colts hater in general, can't even remember the last positive post about the Colts that I've seen from Moosejaw.

He has openly admitted that he just gets bored in his little Canadian town and likes to stir up things for his entertainment. Truly sad.

ouch ice hockey GIF by NHL

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

His presence always makes a difference on how well this defense plays.

I expect the defense to get better with Leonard.  I mean you don’t lose a guy like that and not feel it but I am cautious to say he’s going to fix everything.  I mean he played the Jags game when the defense got destroyed.  Today’s problem was the line getting blown off the ball.  Leonard isn’t really going to fix that.  He’s also not going to help much with the soft zone defense the Colts keep going back to in the secondary.  With that said, he’s too good of a player not to make the unit a whole better.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did you see the Bengals touchdowns at the goal-line today?  The QB sneak for a yard that turned into a three to four yard TD in particular was embarrassing.  

Not to mention when we had them backed up against the goal line.  They ran ran out of that situation.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I expect the defense to get better with Leonard.  I mean you don’t lose a guy like that and not feel it but I am cautious to say he’s going to fix everything.  I mean he played the Jags game when the defense got destroyed.  Today’s problem was the line getting blown off the ball.  Leonard isn’t really going to fix that.  He’s also not going to help much with the soft zone defense the Colts keep going back to in the secondary.  With that said, he’s too good of a player not to make the unit a whole better.  

Why bring up the Jags game?

That was the 1st game of the season with no pre season and not enough OTAs to come together.

Since then are are 4-1. 

Everyone kind of knew the #1 rated defense was due to the teams we played. 

That was talked about all along. 

Personally I am not going to make an issue over a defense that is still the best we have had in quite a long while. 

This whole season is going to be one game at a time. Each week will have it's own problems. 

Defense is still not a concern for me. We're still top 10. If you're expecting any defense to consistently hold teams under 20 points and 300+ yards in 2020, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. The days of holding teams under 200 points and 3000 yards a season are over.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Why bring up the Jags game?

That was the 1st game of the season with no pre season and not enough OTAs to come together.

Since then are are 4-1. 

Everyone kind of knew the #1 rated defense was due to the teams we played. 

That was talked about all along. 

Personally I am not going to make an issue over a defense that is still the best we have had in quite a long while. 

This whole season is going to be one game at a time. Each week will have it's own problems. 

Because you keep saying the defense is different with Leonard.  They had Leonard in that game and the Colts looked like that defense the last two weeks at least to start the games.  I think the problem is more the soft zone defense in the secondary and the line getting blown off the ball.  The linebackers have played well for the most part.  

Leonard is a difference maker on defense and I believe he calls the defensive signals as well.  His return will help us settle down and get back into what we started off the year doing on defense.  Turay will also help and Day getting healthy should as well.  I really like the way Blackmon has been playing and improving every game.  He and Willis are going to make a great safety team.  Overall I think we have a lot of talent on defense.  I do question Flus and his game planning though.  We are predictable on defense.  A little change up once in awhile wouldn't hurt.  That said I think our starting defense is going to be a handful for many teams to attack.   I think our defense is quite good actually.  

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Leonard is a difference maker on defense and I believe he calls the defensive signals as well.  His return will help us settle down and get back into what we started off the year doing on defense.  Turay will also help and Day getting healthy should as well.  I really like the way Blackmon has been playing and improving every game.  He and Willis are going to make a great safety team.  Overall I think we have a lot of talent on defense.  I do question Flus and his game planning though.  We are predictable on defense.  A little change up once in awhile wouldn't hurt.  That said I think our starting defense is going to be a handful for many teams to attack.   I think our defense is quite good actually.  

You mean the Jags game or are we just going to pretend that game didn’t happen?

i do hope his return can get them back to like what they did against the Vikings.  I am also excited to see Turay as I do think he could give the Colts pass rush a needed boast.  He was just getting going last year when he had that injury.

When it comes to the defense I am concerned when they play in the soft shell like they did in the Jags game and the first half of the Browns game and at times today.  When they are turned lose allowed to play aggressive like they did vs the Vikings,Jets,, Second half of the Browns, and Bears they are so much better.  I think the Colts struggles at times this season are more related to that than anything else.  

I am a bit concerned about the d-line getting blown off the ball as much as they have been but I am hoping Day getting worked in and Turay might be able to help with that.  I also think we are going to start seeing more of Lewis on run downs and if he keeps playing like he did today he will help with that.  

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

My only concern is it takes Eberflus a entire half to have a plan. Can we actually start looking good from the start of the game.

It’s getting better.  Jags game no adjustments.  Browns halftime adjustments.  Today after the first quarter six points the rest of the way.  I question why he keeps trying to go back to the soft zone defense that doesn’t work. 

During last weeks loss, the team showed the ability to change the momentum of the game when it had too. They came up short as sometime you do. This week they ran into an angry Bengal team that is better than their record shows. The Colts showed they have plenty of gas in the tank. The offense got rolling and started scoring touchdowns instead of field goals. We may have just saw the turning point going from ok to a very good team. Right now the Colts look like a Harbaugh team with a defense that will be as good as the offense allows them to be. Its pretty exciting to watch. If the Colts scored touchdowns on half of those fieldgoals they would be undefeated. A change has come at LOS.

59 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My only concern is it takes Eberflus a entire half to have a plan. Can we actually start looking good from the start of the game.

Thank you.  That was my reason for starting this thread. Not to whine, cry, or complain.  

Fluse has a lot of talent to work with.  I don’t think he’s scheming very well, especially when we have huge gaps in the zone. 

He calls a different game when we’re behind, more aggressive.  This is simplistic because I’m not going to go deep into it.  But why can’t they play that second half defense in the first half?

Let’s pretend we’re down by 20, instead of waiting until we’re down by 20.  

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thank you.  That was my reason for starting this thread. Not to whine, cry, or complain.  

Fluse has a lot of talent to work with.  I don’t think he’s scheming very well, especially when we have huge gaps in the zone. 

He calls a different game when we’re behind, more aggressive.  This is simplistic because I’m not going to go deep into it.  But why can’t they play that second half defense in the first half?

It's nothing new for a zone defense to give up yards. We have always had that bend but don't break 

We normally don't give up 3 TDs in just over one quarter. 

I don't take your post as a whine or cry because you don't become argumentative if someone post a optimistic comment in reply. :hat:

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He clearly knows how to adjust. The second half the last two weeks on defense have been great. I just don’t understand why they can’t start a game like that. This has always been his stick. He needs to get it together to start games.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He clearly knows how to adjust. The second half the last two weeks on defense have been great. I just don’t understand why they can’t start a game like that. This has always been his stick. He needs to get it together to start games.

They seem determined to play that soft zone defense and that’s the issue I think.  

I have an idea. 

How about, in the first 15 minutes of a thread being posted, there is automatically a poll opened. The poll will ask one question. 

Is this a valuable topic?

That way, when bad threads like this are started, we can just vote and have the clutter removed from the main page. 

Archived